PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to any pay ????

city hunter
03-10-2014, 12:34 AM
HI My wife firearms licence will be expiry on this April and got a letter asked her to renew.The point is.....she doesn't own any firearms and all firearms are under my licence,Does she has to pay any to renew it ???Any help would be appreciated,thanks a lot !!!Gary

snow
03-10-2014, 12:46 AM
it's $60 to renew non-restricted and $80 to renew restricted. since she already has a license which is still valid it sounds like it would be good to renew it before it expires. Without a licence she can't even go out on her own with your gun, regardless of who owns it.

1/2 slam
03-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Spend the money and renew. Don't be a cheapskate.

city hunter
03-10-2014, 01:03 AM
it's $60 to renew non-restricted and $80 to renew restricted. since she already has a license which is still valid it sounds like it would be good to renew it before it expires. Without a licence she can't even go out on her own with your gun, regardless of who owns it.ok I got it and Thanks a lot !!!

city hunter
03-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Spend the money and renew. Don't be a cheapskate. you don't get my point

M.Dean
03-10-2014, 06:15 AM
When I renewed mine a few years ago, someone told me I shouldn't have to pay anything because I all ready paid when I first got it. So, I sent mine in with no money, and they sent it back, wanting there money! Ended up I didn't have a valid card for a few months well I waited for them to get the cash I finally sent in with the paper work!

boblly1
03-10-2014, 06:37 AM
yes she must renew and pay if she doesn't and something were to happen to you she cant possess a firearm so she cant own firearm and also to have some ones firearms registered in your name constitutes fraud and is not legal

BiG Boar
03-10-2014, 07:16 AM
It has nothing to do with who owns the guns. It lets her hunt on her own with a rifle, and buy ammo, or guns (for your birthday)

biggyun68
03-10-2014, 07:26 AM
If you had one car in your name would you not renew your wife's drivers license which includes a renewal fee?

.330 Dakota
03-10-2014, 07:30 AM
If you had one car in your name would you not renew your wife's drivers license which includes a renewal fee?

LMAO....Exellent example....still LMAO

Rob
03-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Can this not be done on line with a CC? After reading this post I realized my wife's expires in April as well.

biggyun68
03-10-2014, 08:08 AM
My apologies City hunter was not trying to be flippant - just trying to give a good example:
Colin

Mishka
03-10-2014, 08:15 AM
yes she must renew and pay if she doesn't and something were to happen to you she cant possess a firearm so she cant own firearm and also to have some ones firearms registered in your name constitutes fraud and is not legal

The registry is gone. Not sure what you are referring to.

Muliechaser
03-10-2014, 08:34 AM

Registry is gone. Also why would it be illegal? When the registry was around it didnt matter who the gun was registered to anyone with a valid firearms lic could possess it borrow it use it. I would like to know were u get your info from . Cuase nobody specified if it was non restricted or restricted. Restricted us a whole different ball game.

TPK
03-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Couldn't be more wrong. If "something happens" to him, as Executor of the Will (assuming she would be), she inherits ALL of his firearms rights (non-restricted, restricted, prohib etc.) even if she has never held a firearm before in her life. Without a license she can not transport them or buy ammunition but she sure as hell can legally hang on to them (legally stored) for a year or so to decide what she wants to do with them.

Drillbit
03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I just used this one in Feb for my RPAL. No $.

It's the Renewal form for Ontario Residents from the Ontario Ministry of Resources, as opposed to the one we get here out west.

http://www.huntsafe.ca/downloads/PAL_renewal_application.pdf

It'll work until someone complains about it.

Mishka
03-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Couldn't be more wrong. If "something happens" to him, as Executor of the Will (assuming she would be), she inherits ALL of his firearms rights (non-restricted, restricted, prohib etc.) even if she has never held a firearm before in her life. Without a license she can not transport them or buy ammunition but she sure as hell can legally hang on to them (legally stored) for a year or so to decide what she wants to do with them.

In this scenario, how can she legally be in possession of them without a PAL? She may inherit the firearms, but without a PAL, she cannot be in possession of them. She would have to get someone else with a PAL to hold them for her.

snow
03-10-2014, 09:09 AM
I just used this one in Feb for my RPAL. No $.

It's the Renewal form for Ontario Residents from the Ontario Ministry of Resources, as opposed to the one we get here out west.

http://www.huntsafe.ca/downloads/PAL_renewal_application.pdf

It'll work until someone complains about it.

That's an old form from 2006. This is the new one from 2014: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5614-eng.pdf which clearly states on page 2 how much $ to pay.

TPK
03-10-2014, 09:16 AM
In this scenario, how can she legally be in possession of them without a PAL? She may inherit the firearms, but without a PAL, she cannot be in possession of them. She would have to get someone else with a PAL to hold them for her.
She is perfectly legal to be in possession of them if she is the Executor of the Will. Usually the RCMP will give a year or so "grace" before strong arming a decision to get a PAL/RPAL (what ever is required to keep the class of firearms involved) or for the Executor to sell them. But as mentioned, not having a PAL/RPAL they must stay stored, she can't transport them. Depending on the mood of your local RCMP, they may try to convince (scare) her otherwise and take them for destruction as has happened all too many times. Know your rights and don't be intimidated.

Mishka
03-10-2014, 09:17 AM
She is perfectly legal to be in possession of them if she is the Executor of the Will. Usually the RCMP will give a year or so "grace" before strong arming a decision to get a PAL/RPAL (what ever is required to keep the class of firearms involved) or for the Executor to sell them. But as mentioned, not having a PAL/RPAL they must stay stored, she can't transport them. Depending on the mood of your local RCMP, they may try to convince (scare) her otherwise and take them for destruction as has happened all too many times. Know your rights and don't be intimidated.

Where are you getting this info?

Rupert Retired
03-10-2014, 09:29 AM
In response to the original inquiry, if you wife handles the guns or rifles in any way she needs a valid PAL. If she is just riding along, camping etc. she does not need one.

Drillbit
03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
That's an old form from 2006. This is the new one from 2014: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5614-eng.pdf which clearly states on page 2 how much $ to pay.

I know. But if you read my post, I used it just over a month ago without any money and have a new RPAL in hand.

Try it.

Drillbit
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Where are you getting this info?

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/will-testament-eng.htm

Mishka
03-10-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/will-testament-eng.htm

Thanks. I learn something new everyday.

Pioneerman
03-10-2014, 09:51 AM

You sure this is a new form ? Are they bringing back the Possesion only license ? This shows prices for POL and PAL, maybe not so new ?

goatdancer
03-10-2014, 09:58 AM
In response to the original inquiry, if you wife handles the guns or rifles in any way she needs a valid PAL. If she is just riding along, camping etc. she does not need one.

A POL used to be all that was required to own and handle firearms. A PAL was required to acquire firearms. Has something changed lately?

panhead
03-10-2014, 10:10 AM
First of all boys (and girls) I'm not sure of this so go easy on me, but a bud once told me that if you don't renew and change your mind and want the PAL later you have to take the course again. What you say to that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge is power. Get some power or get fleeced.

Johnny G1
03-10-2014, 10:14 AM
My understanding is all renewal's before May 15, 2013 were free after that date you have to pay for renewal to the amount of $60 and $80, I know mine was free last year before May 15, 2013.

snow
03-10-2014, 10:24 AM
You sure this is a new form ? Are they bringing back the Possesion only license ? This shows prices for POL and PAL, maybe not so new ?

Yes it's a new form. If you look at it you will see it's dated 2014-01-02 (at the bottom of each page).
That is the form from RCMP site. The firearms licences are handled on the federal level so people should not be looking at any Ontario or other sites which may have incorrect outdated info. What worked for Drillbit some time ago may not work now because the new form is in effect.

Why debate something that is spelled out so clearly?
The renewal process is here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/renew-renouv-eng.htm and has a link to the most recent form for 2014.

TPK
03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Again, couldn't be more wrong. A PAL/RPAL is NOT required to handle/shoot/hunt if you are under direct supervision of someone with the correct PAL/RPAL designation on their card to match the firearm in use.

TPK
03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
POL's will no longer be issued, if yours expires you lose it and must re-apply for a PAL. Depending on the circumstances of your POL, the course may be needed otherwise a challenge will suffice.

J_T
03-10-2014, 10:34 AM
First of all boys (and girls) I'm not sure of this so go easy on me, but a bud once told me that if you don't renew and change your mind and want the PAL later you have to take the course again. What you say to that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge is power. Get some power or get fleeced. Correct. If it forfeits/expires and later you want to renew, you must show proof of having taken the course. Recently.

Ringo 7MM
03-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Spend the money and renew. Don't be a cheapskate.

Is this a full slam, or just a 1/2 slam?

Drillbit
03-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Yes it's a new form. If you look at it you will see it's dated 2014-01-02 (at the bottom of each page).
That is the form from RCMP site. The firearms licences are handled on the federal level so people should not be looking at any Ontario or other sites which may have incorrect outdated info. What worked for Drillbit some time ago may not work now because the new form is in effect.

Why debate something that is spelled out so clearly?
The renewal process is here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/renew-renouv-eng.htm and has a link to the most recent form for 2014.

This worked for me this year, just over a month ago. I printed off that form, filled it out and sent it in with a picture. Got a new RPAL, no questions asked.

I posted it just trying to help him save the $ that it seems like he doesn't want to spend, and keep his wife a PAL holder. The more PAL holders the better.

TPK
03-10-2014, 11:54 AM
For POL holders .. you do not have to upgrade to a PAL if you want more firearms .... a friend with the same license endorsement as yourself can buy it and lend it to you indefinitely .... not encouraging this .. just saying nothing illegal about it.

TexasWalker
03-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Knowledge is power. Get some power or get fleeced.

Correct. If it forfeits/expires and later you want to renew, you must show proof of having taken the course. Recently.

Completely false.

The CFC has record of your safety course and you do not have to take the course again.

Pioneerman
03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
A Possession Only Licence (POL) is available only as a renewal of an existing licence. If a POL is not renewed on time, the licensee must obtain a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/index-eng.htm#f921), including meeting safety training, if they want to continue owning or using firearms.

J_T
03-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Completely false.

The CFC has record of your safety course and you do not have to take the course again. Well actually, that is the case. It depends how long you allow the PAL to remain expired for, you may be required to take the course again. Your safety course is not in good standing in perpetuity. Nope.

Dannybuoy
03-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Well actually, that is the case. It depends how long you allow the PAL to remain expired for, you may be required to take the course again. Your safety course is not in good standing in perpetuity. Nope.
This is true and then there are guys like myself that didn't take the safety course ( just a POL) but when "upgrading" to a PAL had to take the course . And I had a restricted POL as well . Don't let your wife's POL PAL expire if she plans on using firearms without being under someone's supervision.

stovepipes
03-16-2014, 10:38 AM
I let my PAL expire years ago because I figured that I had enough firearms and more to take any game, so I just switched to the POL. Well I was wrong you can never have too many firearms, I needed to get my PAL again so I took the course and sent in my fee and waited. The day came, my new license arrived along with my money back saying that I had paid for this years ago and only one payment was necessary. What a surprise!