PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on hunting every year.?

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I think most of us know that in general hunting is not a poor mans game,depending on where you live you might have to travel for hours to harvest your animals or you might be able to shoot them right out of your backdoor.Taking everything in account gas,tags,license ,cabins ,ammo ,clothing,truck repairs,airplanes,quads etc,what do you think you spend a year on hunting and do you set a budget? And I am curious do alot of you guys do day trips or 1 or two longer hunts a year.Dont forget your game cutting bills to. :lol:

longhairmtnman
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Last season(My most expensive season yet)...$2700.00 I can account for. This does not include the income I lost taking time off work... but I did save a bundle on game cutting and processing by not shooting anything!:lol:

30-06
02-18-2007, 06:48 PM
3000$ if not more.i got a new gun,i bought 1 elk tag,1 moose tag,2 deer tags.bullets.spotting scope,2 1/2 week trip up north.new boots.2 scopes.it is a very very pricey sport thats for sure.

Deaddog
02-18-2007, 06:52 PM
I probably spend between two and three grand per year, not to many day trips , just a couple, three big trips, WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!:lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Well I am going to guess on the low side.
Tags and licence 150
gas 1,200
bullets shells 20.00
new boots 250
cabin Christian Valley 200
Front end work and brakes on truck 1,200
butchering costs 250
Total 3,270

Harvest between my wife and I
4 mulies
1 whitetail
a ton of grouse

amount of memories priceless:lol:

mikek blacktail
02-18-2007, 07:32 PM
spent about2500$to3000$would have been more if my hunterhost in alberta didn't bail on me this year

brotherjack
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Less than $500, usually - even counting gear and such. And before you scoff - consider: I cut my own meat, I do almost all my hunting within a few miles of home, and I don't road hunt. I don't own a quad, my $100 worth of camo clothes were paid for years ago, and the most expensive rifle I ever bought with my own money was $75 (including scope!). So for me, it's tags, $100 worth of gas, a few bucks on a new toy now and then (like my GPS this year), I'm still coming out way ahead compared to how much it would cost to eat steak 4 nights a week if I had to buy them down at Safeway.

Derek_Erickson
02-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I'lll start keeping track this year, seeing how its the first year I'm actually goin to have to pay for gas food ammo, daddies breakin me off I suppose, but he spent alot of money each year

Steeleco
02-18-2007, 08:11 PM
How do I count all the time I spend at work thinking I'd rather be hunting???
AH who cares, I'm not paying the bill :lol::lol::lol:

dana
02-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Hard to say. I spend well over 300 days a year in the bush, many of which I actually get paid for. ;) It's pretty much year round scouting and hunting. :)

browningboy
02-18-2007, 08:40 PM
This year may take the cake, close to 180000.00! Probably making a deal on a little cabin in the cariboo.

bsa30-06
02-18-2007, 08:40 PM
If i post the amount it costs me, and my wife see's this i'm going to be in big crap.i have never actually kept track but i would guess between 2-3 thousand.i do about 10 day trips that require me to fill the tank and that alone runs $100.00 each trip.Last year i bought a compound bow and all the toys to go with it, as well as new boots and you now those aren't cheap plus i disappear to the lytton area for around 18 days as well as a couple weekend trips for spring bear if necessary.

oldtimer
02-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Like BSA if you think I am going to post on this you are sadly mistaken. and I am henpecked and don't spend half as much as I used to.lol Mike

ruger#1
02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
hey its cheaper then golf and safer, and does it realy matter as long as your enjoying what you din the woods. i never put a price on it.

bsa30-06
02-18-2007, 08:47 PM
PLEASE don't show this to my wife, the more i think about it the higher the price goes.

ruger#1
02-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Lloyd you can change the numbers.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-18-2007, 08:51 PM
I just rembered I have a bear and a deer at the taxidermist,do kids really need braces? :lol:

Phil
02-18-2007, 08:51 PM
new purchases aside I would estimate $2500.00. It could be higher but who's counting? It is worth every penny.

Gamebuster
02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't add it up but it's gotta be between $2-3K. My big pig huntin rig doesn't help matters much! I usually do a couple of long trips and several day or overnight trips plus some new gear...she adds up pretty quick but it don't matter...I'd probably spend my last dollar on a huntin trip

BCLongshot
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh Lloyd I can't resist !!!

I'm going to rat u out unless you take me Spring Bear hunting in that bloody gorgeous Dodge !!!

Will
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Honestly I don't have a clue.......http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

But certainly FAR more then the Wife thinks........:lol:

The Hermit
02-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Hard to say. I spend well over 300 days a year in the bush, many of which I actually get paid for. ;) It's pretty much year round scouting and hunting. :)

I mean this in the nicest way possible... *******!!! :biggrin:

moosinaround
02-18-2007, 09:13 PM
This year 15000 plus gas, tags, meatcutting, bought new quads though so it upped the price per pound. And get this the wife even knows aboput it!

The Hermit
02-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I've always resisted this exercise for fear of coming to my senses! This year was pricey as flew two of us into Alta for the week trip but cheap when we were there, mostly. Do I add the Oban, wine, cigars, blackjack, win/losses?? Also bought the archery set up, reloading equipment and a few hundred cases etc...

Most years I get out for maybe 8 days trips with a weekend or two thrown in plus a 7 - 10 day trip... probably $3K+ on average. This would not include club membership, two new guns I bought this year. 07/08 will be much more as I have to buy a truckbut will amoritize that over say five years...

If the average resident hunter spends $3K/year and we have 90,000 hunters that would be around $270M worth of economic stimulation each year by resident hunters.

browningboy
02-18-2007, 09:41 PM

Well no wonder you get all the nice footage etc. Anyone that spends that much time in the woods will know where the game tends to be and obviously wouldn't just plug any game as you always have tommorow.

Take advantage of it while you can!8)

Rob
02-18-2007, 09:42 PM
No idea, and I dont want to know. I bought a new quad in 05 & bought my wife one shortly after(polaris 450 '06) I told her i dont care how much she rides it as long as she has fun when she uses it. I guess hunting is the same way, I dont want to break it down to a mathimatcal equation. Its what I love.

bsa30-06
02-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Oh Lloyd I can't resist !!!

I'm going to rat u out unless you take me Spring Bear hunting in that bloody gorgeous Dodge !!!

No problem Dale, but it usually doesn't look that pretty when it comes home.Actually it only looks that pretty when the wife takes it thru the car wash.I should have some new tires in the next couple weeks or so.

bsa30-06
02-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Lloyd you can change the numbers.

I do every time i go to the gun store and come home with a new toy.She don't really care i don't stop her from buying what she wants, and that nice dodge is actually hers i just borrow it for hunting season.I make the payments and pay the insurance and repairs and she uses it all week i have a company van so i don't drive it very often till hunting season.

Krico
02-18-2007, 10:39 PM
I have the right to remain silent. Anything I say can and will be used against me in every arguement with the Mrs. regarding who spends what

000buck
02-18-2007, 10:54 PM
2000 per year for gate hopper quad,
25 for ammo
120 for gas
100 coffee and snacks
75+ on license and tags
35 factor in wear and tear on gear and clothing

and i hunt within 30 mins of my house......

lip_ripper00
02-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Nothing, nada, zip. I have a money tree in the back yard. If I want to go some where "I walk on out back where the money tree grows" This is my story and I'm sticking with it:lol: . All totaled 2 trips a year north of PG 20 days, 5-6 day trips locally ya I can see spending 2-3 thousand a year hunting. And then theirs the fishing......

youngfellla
02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I'd say about 5000 - 6000 a year for the past few years. Been doin a lot of hunting :lol:

mark
02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
where do ya draw the line? If i wasnt an outdoorsman, id probably have no need for an f-350, river boat, quads, rifles, bow, knives, backpacks, camping gear, expensive boots, optics, rangefinder ect. Ive got half a dozen critters taxidermied, i take 3 months off work every fall for the hunting season, not to mention lic., tags, and gas! I wouldnt even want to figure it out! But, hunting is by far the most important thing in my life (as far as hobbies or passtime goes) and in my opinion, its money well spent! Money cant buy the meat I eat every night, and if it could, it wouldnt taste the same! Hence my signature line!

kishman
02-19-2007, 02:28 AM
I've only been hunting for a year now so I've spent alot, mostly on guns:twisted: . But after these "initial" costs I don't see it costing all that much. Tags and all that aren't all that much, seemed to find the money to put in for some LEH draws as well.

hunter1947
02-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Total including tags is $1200.00 dollars. hunter 1947.:smile:

Bigbuckadams
02-19-2007, 06:11 AM
I buy a few things like scents & a box of ammo, but all of my guns & gear were bought & paid for long ago. The biggest cost for me is Tim Horton's & gas. Mostly day trips for me as I hunt locally, hoping that will change this year or next as I want to start the Elk & Moose game. Licence & tags $80-$100, gas $25 X 60 hunts=$1,500, Timmy's $300 and I'll add in misc. for a total of 2K. $400-$500 for cutting & sauage making....Aprox cost per year $2,500. See deer all the time, but moreso just enjoy the time afield:lol: .

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I use all my banked OT for my hunting trips, game banquets, taxidermy and any new gear. Gas $ for day trips comes out of the "general revenue" funds, although I don't take too many of those...maybe 3-5 tanks/year. So ~$2500-$3000 per yer.
Considering that any weekend I sneak out hunting during the fall cost me $ in lost OT, I would have to say it costs me at least $2000-3000 more in lost wages:mad: !
I'll be saving some good $ this year on scouting trips/bear hunting gas as I'll be taking my Yamaha TW200 motorbike straight from my house. Looking forward to that! $6 to fill it if I use premium and I get close to 200kms per tank8) . It should pay for itself in gas savings in less 2 years as I use it for commuting to work as well. Should have done it years ago and my truck wouldn't be in the shape that it's in..........:cry:

SSS

houndogger
02-19-2007, 07:49 AM
You don't even want a hound guy to post how much he spends a year on hear:lol: Spring bear fall bear winter cats:shock:

Fisher-Dude
02-19-2007, 08:39 AM
I use all my banked OT for my hunting trips, game banquets, taxidermy and any new gear. Gas $ for day trips comes out of the "general revenue" funds, although I don't take too many of those...maybe 3-5 tanks/year. So ~$2500-$3000 per yer.
Considering that any weekend I sneak out hunting during the fall cost me $ in lost OT, I would have to say it costs me at least $2000-3000 more in lost wages:mad: !
I'll be saving some good $ this year on scouting trips/bear hunting gas as I'll be taking my Yamaha TW200 motorbike straight from my house. Looking forward to that! $6 to fill it if I use premium and I get close to 200kms per tank8) . It should pay for itself in gas savings in less 2 years as I use it for commuting to work as well. Should have done it years ago and my truck wouldn't be in the shape that it's in..........:cry:

SSS

After watching you pour the money into artwork on Saturday night, I think you better trade the Dual-Sport in on a moped. :lol: The madman lurked at the bidsheets until the final bell, and scooped a beautiful picture up. And actually for a great price.

How much does it cost me? Who knows...I run a couple of trucks and a quad, I like high end gear, and if I wanna go somewhere during the season, I go despite what it costs me to get there. What I really want is more time to do it all.

one-shot-wonder
02-19-2007, 09:32 AM
SSS shows up and "poaches" a nice print at the end of the night. you have to watch those Peachland sportsman. And he didn't even help a guy out and take my date for a dance.

How much does it cost me? Who knows...I run a couple of trucks and a quad, I like high end gear, and if I wanna go somewhere during the season, I go despite what it costs me to get there. What I really want is more time to do it all.

A couple of trucks don't lie most of us know you have a used car lot in the front yard :lol:
As an account how do you darive your hunting costs do you ammortize your Duramax over 1 season or many? If that's the case you must be pushing close to 6 digits this year including gas!

High end gear what about that polaris.....:confused:

zaconb
02-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Last year was abnormal:
Jon Boat, Mud Motor, custom blind, boat gear: 11000.00
20+ Cabelas orders 5-6000.00
4 guns 3000.00+
Licenses in 5 provinces 750.00
It was a good year :twisted:

Murder
02-19-2007, 10:18 AM
I spend too much (according to the mrs). But I can't put a price on a good hunt. They should make a hunting mastercard commercial. Quad, $7000, New Rifle $1000, New Truck $35,000, hunting, priceless.

Franko Manini
02-19-2007, 10:54 AM
I've always resisted this exercise for fear of coming to my senses! This year was pricey as flew two of us into Alta for the week trip but cheap when we were there, mostly. Do I add the Oban, wine, cigars, blackjack, win/losses?? Also bought the archery set up, reloading equipment and a few hundred cases etc...

Most years I get out for maybe 8 days trips with a weekend or two thrown in plus a 7 - 10 day trip... probably $3K+ on average. This would not include club membership, two new guns I bought this year. 07/08 will be much more as I have to buy a truckbut will amoritize that over say five years...

If the average resident hunter spends $3K/year and we have 90,000 hunters that would be around $270M worth of economic stimulation each year by resident hunters.

Hermit,

You forgot to include the gas money you've paid me over the past 6 years of using my truck!

Creeping Death
02-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Not quite sure how much i spend but I think i spend more every year and its usually alot. AHH the beauty of being unemployed during hunting season...I get to go out almost everyday

SAVAGE300
02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
under 500 if the leh dosent pan out im only 15 min from my stand, but if it does I guestimate 1500 and 2200 for this year

farside
02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Lets see?? 3 hunters in our house

3 licenses
4 deer tags for sure
2 bear tags for sure
1 moose tag if we are lucky
3 box ammo for sighting in every year
3 box ammo for hunting
2 bolts for the crossbow

We hunt locally about 3 days a week (more if I am lucky) $25 per week
1 trip to the mainland for mulies or moose (depends on the draw) $1200
1 trip to AB for whities $900
cut and wrap up to $350 (moose?)
misc. gear $300

I'd say LOTS and LOTS. But our house doesn't do the trips to Mexico or whatever. Our holidays are spent hunting or fishing.

Now add in Fresh Water Licenses/gear x3, Salt Water Licenses/gear x3. R&M on boat, truck trailer and Holy Crap - We're broke:smile: But happy

TPK
02-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I spend too much (according to the mrs). But I can't put a price on a good hunt.

Amen to that. Now that my big purchases are out of the way and I'm only paying for tags, ammo, food, fuel etc. , likely $600 - $1000. If however this coming season we decide to do a road trip for Moose (if no one get's a draw), well, then add another $300 - $400 on top.

Tinney
02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Probably around $1200 by the time tags, gas, ammo, food, and all the other random junk gets factored in. And I spent around $500-$600 on gas alone last fall...and I drove a 1.5L 4cylinder Dodge Colt!!!! I did a lot of hunting!

johnes50
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
It adds up quick. And I didn't leave the Island.

$1300.00 - 8' camper and improvements.
$60.00 - license and tags
$420.00 - used .308.
$230.00 - used 30-30.
$100.00 - ammo for three different calibers.
$150.00 - cammo
$200.00 - Gps
$500.00 - gas, food
$1000.00 - unpaid days off work
$100.00 - misc
$150.00 - sons core course
$4210.00 -Total

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2007, 02:16 PM
After watching you pour the money into artwork on Saturday night, I think you better trade the Dual-Sport in on a moped. :lol: The madman lurked at the bidsheets until the final bell, and scooped a beautiful picture up. And actually for a great price.

Moped?? My boss has a scooter and barely gets better gas milage than I do and I look waaaaaaaaaay cooler8) and can go waaaaaaaaay more places!

F/D-Watch me closer next time and learn! You guys didn't even notice I replaced all those pens with ones that didn't work.
Eraser Mates work well too!:lol:

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
SSS shows up and "poaches" a nice print at the end of the night. you have to watch those Peachland sportsman. And he didn't even help a guy out and take my date for a dance.

One Chit-You trying to lose your girl to an old fart like me?? One skate around the rink with me and she'll be worshipping the 'ole triple S"!!:rolleyes:
Seriously though, you're getting around better than most healthy 40 yr olds. Now you know what age is going to feel like. Just ask F/D:lol: !

You guys can return the favour at next year's Reg 9 fundraiser. Prizes are pretty good and most people leave with either a Duramax, jetboat or at least a quad.......:roll: ....just make sure you bring your cheque books!!!

SSS

GoatGuy
02-19-2007, 02:51 PM

SSS

All that O/T $$$$ won't do you any good if you don't hunt!

Hey, I would have wayyyyyyyyy rather traded you my 20 day months in October and November so that you could make the extra $$$$ and I could go hunting.

GoatGuy
02-19-2007, 02:54 PM

The BS is usually pretty cheap though!

I can't wait to see you and the one shot riding around in the trucks next year all camoed out with window mounts and CO chairs and backpacks sympathizing to eachother.

Which company makes knee braces? Morphine? Ibuprofen? Shoulda bought stocks last year.....................

Fisher-Dude
02-19-2007, 02:58 PM
One Chit-You trying to lose your girl to an old fart like me?? One skate around the rink with me and she'll be worshipping the 'ole triple S"!!:rolleyes:
Seriously though, you're getting around better than most healthy 40 yr olds. Now you know what age is going to feel like. Just ask F/D:lol: !

You guys can return the favour at next year's Reg 9 fundraiser. Prizes are pretty good and most people leave with either a Duramax, jetboat or at least a quad.......:roll: ....just make sure you bring your cheque books!!!

SSS

One Shit's lovely woman will get wise to him. He admitted he's milking his injuries for all they are worth. And when he goes quad-sheep hunting with me this fall instead of going to France with her, she will kick his sorry ass to the curb. He's just lucky I'm his friend, 'cause if she got one smell of the new leather seats in my Duramax, she'd leave him limping around solo right now! That's gotta be worth a few O'Douls don't ya think?? :lol:

Fisher-Dude
02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
The BS is usually pretty cheap though!

I can't wait to see you and the one shot riding around in the trucks next year all camoed out with window mounts and CO chairs and backpacks sympathizing to eachother.

Which company makes knee braces? Morphine? Ibuprofen? Shoulda bought stocks last year.....................

Hey that Tatonka is called the "Fischerstuhl". Go figure! It's custom made for ME! 8-)

Mr. Dean
02-19-2007, 03:10 PM
The 'barn' has $100,000 worth of stuff that is dedicated to the pursuit of critters. This doesent include the boat which is ~ $85,000 Granted it gets used more for fishing than hunting. A fair split for its use would be would be ~ 75/25 :lol:. I do use it for a lot for scouting out 'interesting' areas and would be fair in stating that the gas bill for last year would be around the $5000 mark for this use. These #'s don't factor in sales tax.

Jeep and Quad will drink another $2500 (consertive) easy and the diesel bills would amount to at least (more like $3500) that as well. Factor in wear-n-tear, insurance, depreciation and it doesn't take long to realize that I am a FANATIC. I work hard and play almost as hard (might explain why I'm not rich).

Seems as if I'm ugrading/replacing gear at the rate of another couple of grand/year. I might need to allocate new funds for this year. So far I've purchased a new scope, two new pairs of boots, a sling and am on a mission of looking for a new spotter. After I aquire it, I will be well over the 1000 mark AND it's only mid Feburary.The safe's contents would be around $7500 and the cost of the safe punches that up another $2200.

I'll eat up another 500 bucks worth of powder and bullets noooo problem per year. Add another 200 or so for license and tags. For me to leave and get out I need to spend another 2500/week for a person to replace me @ work.

Then you have the 'goodies'. GPS, bino's, spotter, maps, compass, tent, sleeping bags, cooking wear, calls, backpack, clothes, knives, sharpeners, hunt'n movies/magazines, generator, oh.....lets not forget the cost of TOILET PAPER!

I also have a meat cooler that is in the 'stages' this will be an additional 15 hundred or so. We'll just have to see when it's complete.

I could probably go on.........But I'm start'n to get depressed.

harder rd
02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
men thankyou for this. I am going to show this to my wife. This will show her how lucky she is with my $1500/year habbit. THANKS AGAIN

Chuck
02-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Being in the heart of great hunting country, not a heck of a lot! Licence, tags, fuel and food - thats about it and I think the biggest expense is on fuel for coming and going, so I'd guess roughly 300 to 500 dollars, and I think that's probably high. I usually manage to get my meat, as I don't waste money just for the experience of getting a trophy or seeing new country. I hunt the same areas, but over the years have a few wall hangers, lots of memories and a few good pics too.

shortroot
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Last year was about $1500 in fuel (trip to VI and multiple weekend trips in region 5), $900 for coastal grizz hunt and fishing trip on friends boat (no grizz), $500 for caribou hunt (fly-in), $0 in new toys (been buying a lot in previous years, $300 for sausage making and about $300-400 for food for two trips.

This season I am looking at a Jet Boat trip in fall (~$1000-1500), fuel paid for this year (:mrgreen:, don't ask) for all local trips. Possibly another ($400-500) this spring if draws are favourable.

It gets really expensive when buying gear though, my next big purchases will be a new spotter and a new custom rifle in the next 2-3 years. New boots don't count because I use them for work more than hunting.