PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on hunting shows bears over barrells in the bush

pro 111
03-08-2014, 08:44 PM
I don't know about the rest of you on here but I am getting sick and tired of hunting shows where some bum puts out a rusty old barrell in the middle of the bush to attract a bear . Then arrows it and acts like he just shot the chadwick ram . What the hell is wrong with people these days. How could this be fun. Just my opinion . Lets here yours.

eric
03-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Then don't watch them

BiG Boar
03-08-2014, 08:48 PM
You've never actually done it have you....

You sound like my one buddy who says duck hunting is so lame. But he's not a duck hunter.

pro 111
Then don't watch them
Is that an opinion ? lol

Ozone
Try changing the channel. Its not for me, but if its legal, its legal.

pro 111
03-08-2014, 08:52 PM
ok its 2 zip now,:mrgreen: come on theres got to be some some real hunters on this site..:mrgreen:

cassiarkid
03-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Its not for me either, but then again, still hunting in general isn't my game. I like to spot and stalk, but I guess to each his own.

Drillbit
03-08-2014, 08:53 PM
In the bush out east that's the only way they can hunt them. It's not like BC

I just don't watch those shows. Not my style of hunting, and not going to be entertained or learn anything so, hit the flicker.

Clint_S
03-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Try changing the channel. Its not for me, but if its legal, its legal.

Yep that's the credo of this site.

That's also the way of maintaining the status quo and never questioning whether just because something is legal is it ethical or meets any standard of fair chase?

SCI hunts are legal, doesn't mean I have to agree with shooting animals in enclosures.

pro 111
03-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Try changing the channel. Its not for me, but if its legal, its legal. I do change it but it is nice to watch some quality hunts on there . I am always disapointed when I sit down and flick on the channell and theres a 150 pound bear gettin arrowed off a 50 gallon drum..Just plain stupid in my mind.

Wentrot
03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Its just like the guys snagging sockeye when the fraser opens, disgusting and pathetic seeing them all lined up like they are sportsman lol however since its legal people don't care if its unethical.

I just change the channel when that crappy barrel bear hunt stuff comes on, not entertaining.

Big Lew
03-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Because of the nasty weather this weekend, I re-watched 'Meat Hunter' on OLN. One episode featured hunting on a farm with a bunch of 'drivers' pushing the deer out of their bedding area and by the waiting hunters. To me, this is not hunting as I was raised and know it, but for some, it is, especially in the eastern and southern States where most hunting is done on farms. If it is legal, who am I to ridicule or call down those that hunt or shoot animals by using legal but different methods than mine?

RoscoeP
03-08-2014, 09:08 PM
It's not for me, same as hunting deer over a pile of some pink apple attractant, but if it is legal I don't bitch about other people doing it or it would just be putting another nail in the coffin for all hunting. I have hunted ducks over decoys and would use a call for predators but baited bears etc. is not for me. I just change the channel and watch something else.
I like stuff like spot and stalk mule deer hunting with Cody Robbins, to each there own. Cheers Roscoe

Ozone
03-08-2014, 09:20 PM
That's also the way of maintaining the status quo and never questioning whether just because something is legal is it ethical or meets any standard of fair chase?

Just because something isn't for us, doesn't mean it needs to be illegal. Lots of people say they are against road hunting, but how many of those would pass on the huge buck that walk out in front of there truck?

Ringo 7MM
03-08-2014, 09:28 PM
And the answer is........MONEY....... that is why they hunt that way, I myself do not care to hunt for bear, just deer, moose, elk, etc....

SingleShot
03-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Doesn't get me going.

Iltasyuko
03-08-2014, 09:42 PM
If a population of any species can sustain a legal hunt, how is it my or anyone else's business, how someone hunts within the law. Seems to be no shortage of folks who want to force what they have decided as ethical on others. Sitting over a barrel isn't my thing, but if someone else enjoys that style of hunt, it sure isn't any of my business.

.330 Dakota
03-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Yep that's the credo of this site.

SCI hunts are legal, doesn't mean I have to agree with shooting animals in enclosures.

Well said. I for one have done it...once...never again,,,didnt seem fair to me,,but I had to try it so I could have an opinion.
My opinion...not fair chase,,more like shooting dump bears

Chopper
03-08-2014, 09:50 PM
not for me either but , There is no shortage of Black bears so ... I don't have a problem with it. Especially if the guy is going to eat his dump bear lol

Definitely not entertaining to watch on TV

buck nash
03-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Poor bear. He's just so hungry that he doesn't stand a chance.
So what's your opinion on using calls or scents?
What about the poor deer, elk, moose or whatever. He's just so horny.

Really what's the difference. In fact if you wanted to lure me in and catch me being stupid you're gonna have better odds with kitty than with food.

I'm going to Manitoba this May to hunt over bait on my frinds property. We plan to film it so I'll post a link if I'm successful. But dont worry I won't put a gun to your head and make you watch lol.

Oh yeah, all you trad archery guys will love this.....I'm using a crossbow!!!

Seriously guys... we're a house devided. Lets try to stick together here. Isn't it bad enough having anti-hunting group's criticism. Do we need to beat ourselves up too.

Ringo 7MM
03-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Really what's the difference. In fact if you wanted to lure me in and catch me being stupid you're gonna have better odds with kitty than with food.

I'm going to Manitoba this May to hunt over bait on my frinds property. We plan to film it so I'll post a link if I'm successful. But dont worry I won't put a gun to your head and make you watch lol.

Seriously guys... we're a house devided. Lets try to stick together here. Isn't it bad enough having anti-hunting group's criticism. Do we need to beat ourselves up too.

Well said Mr. buck nash, I totally agree with you.

ru rancher
03-08-2014, 10:26 PM
i totaly agree with you they always act like its a huge trophie iv never saw many real trophie bears get shot that way and it is rather boring tv i dont feel its worthy to be on the televisionbut if your just meat hunting then go for it but it shouldnt be tv

pro 111
03-08-2014, 10:29 PM

Seriously guys... we're a house devided. Lets try to stick together here. Isn't it bad enough having anti-hunting group's criticism. Do we need to beat ourselves up too.Your right to a degree but I believe its things like killing a bear over a 50 gallon drum gives us all a bad name . If your going to do it why post it on TV.

Chopper
03-08-2014, 10:46 PM
I don't like killing black bears ... But im sure glad other people do , I don't care how they do it as long as its legal and a clean death

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
03-08-2014, 11:00 PM
I fully support hunting Bear over bait in jurisdictions wherein it is a legal method. Additionally, I enjoy and salute the success of others with the dedication to make the serious effort required to establish a bait site and keep said site stocked with attractant for the Bears.

Here are some Bear Baiting facts -

Bears require approximately 25,000 calories a day to stay interested in a bait site. This require ALOT of attention and work to keep up with plying fresh bait.

Location is extremely important - If one does not scout sufficently for an area with solid Bear populations, their baiting efforts will be in vain.

Bait stations must be arranged and situated as to assure ethical shot placement.

Bear bating is not anywhere near as simple as dumping a bait barrel where ever and waiting for a Bear to appear! Signage must be posted, regulations must be adhered to and alot of forethought and serious planning must go into a safe and legal bait site plan.

In short, there is alot more to the baiting of Bears than most B.C. Resident Hunters are aware of. This is entirely understandable as this is something not allowed according to B.C. Hunting regulations. It is simply another ridiculous thing caused by B.C.'s silly and irrational approach to the regulation of Hunting activities. I have written to BC regulatory bodies in the past (while a B.C. Resident) and they were entirely unable to supply rationale behind any and all Hunting regulation aspects that I enquired about. Equally ridiculous are the opinions of those here whom think that they are entitled to state what does or does not give whomever "a bad name".

Absurd! Legal Hunting is legal Hunting. Folks whom believe otherwise are no different than an anti in my mind. Those people are the ones whom are giving Hunting a bad name, not people lawfully engage in the Hunting activities of their choice!

st99
03-08-2014, 11:06 PM
I fully support hunting Bear over bait in jurisdictions wherein it is a legal method. Additionally, I enjoy and salute the success of others with the dedication to make the serious effort required to establish a bait site and keep said site plied with food for the Bears.

Here are some Bear Baiting facts -

Bears require approximately 25,000 calories a day to stay interested in a bait site. This require ALOT of attention and work to keep up with plying fresh bait.

Location is extremely important - If one does not scout sufficently for an area with solid Bear populations, their baiting efforts will be in vain.

Bait stations must be arranged and situated as to assure ethical shot placement.

Bear bating is not anywhere near as simple as dumping a bait barrel where ever and waiting for a Bear to appear! Signage must be posted, regulations must be adhered to and alot of forethought and serious planning must go into a safe and legal bait site plan.

In short, there is alot more to the baiting of Bears than most B.C. Resident Hunters are aware of. This is entirely understandable as this is something not allowed according to B.C. Hunting regulations. It is simply another ridiculous thing caused by B.C.'s silly and irrational approach to the regulation of Hunting activities. I have written to BC regulatory bodies in the past (while a B.C. Resident) and they were entirely unable to supply rationale behind any and all Hunting regulation aspects that I enquired about. Equally ridiculous are the opinions of those here whom think that they are entitled to state what does or does not give whomever "a bad name".

Absurd! Legal Hunting is legal Hunting. Folks whom believe otherwise are no different than an anti in my mind. Those people are the ones whom are giving Hunting a bad name, not people lawfully engage in the Hunting activities of their choice!

Your right, it's not as easy as people think, I hunted bears over bait for 3 yrs, killed 0, I've been hunting spot and stalk for 5 yrs now, killed 3 and helped 2 friends get their first bear. If you don't have a lot of time and means, baiting can be frustrating. I'm not planning to bait again, fell in love with spot and stalk, I don't like sitting for hours at the same spot.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
03-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Your right, it's not as easy as people think, I hunted bears over bait for 3 yrs, killed 0, I've been hunting spot and stalk for 5 yrs now, killed 3 and helped 2 friends get their first bear. If you don't have a lot of time and means, baiting can be frustrating. I'm not planning to bait again, fell in love with spot and stalk, I don't like sitting for hours at the same spot.

That's just it Sir. I do happened to currently reside in a jurisdiction wherein baiting is an option and would rather do the spot and stalk myself (or call and discover, as I like to say at times). It's the same thing I'd do if and when I make a return to being a B.C. Resident Hunter. I too am not such a fan of sitting forever and a day... Not that I am entirely opposed to doing in so the future per se. None the less, I do have some serious respect for the Bear Baiting enthusiasts here in Alberta/in other areas wherein Bear baiting is allowed by law.

deer nut
03-08-2014, 11:47 PM
I agree, not really "hunting". One episode of "Archers Choice" I saw, they panned really quickly over the bait pile that was a bunch of old danishes & donuts! Pretty lame. I think the way we hunt them in BC is much more sporting, no bait just spot & stalk!

Mind you, the shows with famous hunting personalities taken by the hand to tree stands to hunt named bucks over food plots on private ranches kinda piss me off too. Not much credit is due if you don't do all the scouting and prep work. I'm just bitter....

IF It's legal, it's legal but I am not a fan, though I bet it is pretty exciting to walk in or out of a bait site in the dark!

keoke
03-08-2014, 11:52 PM
My wifes cousin in michigan has never seen a black bear in the woods while hunting. The only way to get a bear out east is over bait. I personally find it a lot like baseball. Boring as hell to watch but fun to play.

huntcoop
03-09-2014, 12:15 AM
It's pretty cool TV to watch when the bear starts climbing THE treestand tree or the cameramans tree. That shit'll get the heart pounding.

olympia
03-09-2014, 12:35 AM
a hunter should pay heed when critiquing anothers technique since we all have our own styles...we already have the anti's telling us whats right and wrong

r106
03-09-2014, 12:51 AM
IMO It's not my cup of tea. To much work to maintain a bait station and I'm to impatient to sit around for hours on end waiting. I prefer spot and stalk. I also think any show were there sitting in a tree stand is boring, whether it's bears over bait or deer in alfalfa field.

I have no problems with people doing it were it's legal to do so. It would give the hunter a chance to get a good look at a bear and be able to be a little more selective on what animal he/she wants to take whether it be size or the condition of the hide. Also allows the hunter to be 100% sure there are no cubs around.

BiG Boar
03-09-2014, 01:37 AM
What the hell is wrong with people these days. How could this be fun. Just my opinion . Lets here yours.

ok its 2 zip now,:mrgreen: come on theres got to be some some real hunters on this site..:mrgreen:

Let's talk about people who use trail cameras. What the hell is wrong with these people? How could that be fun? It's like cheating! It's unethical. It's PATHETIC. Just my opinion. But it's for the real low life's of the hunting world.

Lets us talk about people using calls to attract elk. People who can't actually go and find themselves one. Again pathetic people. There must be some real hunters on this site. Like me.....I'm going to comment on some kind of hunting I've never actually done before. Heck I could bait hundreds of wolves each year if I wanted to, buys it's way to easy!

If you don't know what I'm getting at above, re read it.

BiG Boar
03-09-2014, 01:39 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?81085-trail-cameras

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?40023-roosavelt-elk-calling

Wentrot
03-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Let's talk about people who use trail cameras. What the hell is wrong with these people? How could that be fun? It's like cheating! It's unethical. It's PATHETIC. Just my opinion. But it's for the real low life's of the hunting world.

Lets us talk about people using calls to attract elk. People who can't actually go and find themselves one. Again pathetic people. There must be some real hunters on this site. Like me.....I'm going to comment on some kind of hunting I've never actually done before. Heck I could bait hundreds of wolves each year if I wanted to, buys it's way to easy!

If you don't know what I'm getting at above, re read it.

How are using trail cameras and calling elk related to sitting and watching a rusty barrel full of crap?

bigredchev
03-09-2014, 07:03 AM
half the fun of hunting IS the chase. Scouting, stalking, glassing and overall tracking down the animal to within range is what gets my blood flowing.

Im biased because im amazingly impatient, so in a tree stand over a stinky barrel just wouldnt do for me.

No one is debating wethere its illegal.

Flip side of the coin, it is effective and most likely has a good chance to eleviate pressure on other animals.

If legal, id bait hunt over wolves no problem. I wouldnt hesitate because those mofos need to be gone. Depends on context.

Boner
03-09-2014, 07:24 AM
How are using trail cameras and calling elk related to sitting and watching a rusty barrel full of crap?

I interpret it as him saying it's a means to an end. Trail cameras and bugles are both are used as tools that many people here on this site (myself included) use to look for game. Back east it's a rusty barrel full of crap.

I think it's boring to watch someone sitting in a tree hunting over a pile of guts for a dump bear. In some places it's legal and apparently an acceptable way to hunt. So each to their own.

Wentrot
03-09-2014, 08:01 AM
I interpret it as him saying it's a means to an end. Trail cameras and bugles are both are used as tools that many people here on this site (myself included) use to look for game. Back east it's a rusty barrel full of crap.

I think it's boring to watch someone sitting in a tree hunting over a pile of guts for a dump bear. In some places it's legal and apparently an acceptable way to hunt. So each to their own.

Fair enough-I just didn't think that calling game makes any sense to use in this little debate. Animals communicate with each other, imitating that is part of the chase sometimes and a good skill to have. Comparing it to baiting a bear is just silly.

Gateholio
03-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Let's face it, most BC hunters don't have the work ethic or mental toughness to bait bears. It's lots of work and lots of time sitting in a blind or treestand, and BC hunters aren't' used to doing that sort of thing when they can drive around and do the F250 spot and stalk to hunt spring bears.

Whenever baiting comes up, there are always those that oppose it as it doesn't fall into their own very narrow view of hunting, decrying it as "not really hunting" and "not fair chase." They sound just as ignorant as those that claim that using a "high powered rifle with a scope" is not "really hunting." Never mind that they have never tried it so are actually ignorant of what it entails.

These same people have no problem with cruising the roads for moose and jumping out and blasting one that is feeding in a clear cut. What is fair chase about that?? Baiting involves far more work, preparation and skill than road hunting, yet road hunting is acceptable here in BC.

It's strange that BC allows baiting for all big game animals except bears. My feelings are that it must have been some political move, as it has no basis for conservation or fair chase. More provinces allow bear baiting than don't allow it, so it obviously has nothing to do with ethics, and probably more due to politics.

carnivore
03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Let's face it, most BC hunters don't have the work ethic or mental toughness to bait bears. It's lots of work and lots of time sitting in a blind or treestand, and BC hunters aren't' used to doing that sort of thing when they can drive around and do the F250 spot and stalk to hunt spring bears.

Whenever baiting comes up, there are always those that oppose it as it doesn't fall into their own very narrow view of hunting, decrying it as "not really hunting" and "not fair chase." They sound just as ignorant as those that claim that using a "high powered rifle with a scope" is not "really hunting." Never mind that they have never tried it so are actually ignorant of what it entails.

These same people have no problem with cruising the roads for moose and jumping out and blasting one that is feeding in a clear cut. What is fair chase about that?? Baiting involves far more work, preparation and skill than road hunting, yet road hunting is acceptable here in BC.

It's strange that BC allows baiting for all big game animals except bears. My feelings are that it must have been some political move, as it has no basis for conservation or fair chase.

If you think "baiting black bears" is more work than road hunting you should try road hunting with a 45 gallon bait drum in the back of a pick up. It hard to cruise the FSR's while constantly watching your mirrors for a black bear that is chasing your vehicle for the bait.:mrgreen:

rcar
03-09-2014, 08:28 AM
OK here it goes...posted a similiar post a couple of years back and got flamed for it!

Personally it doesn't bother me if a hunter chooses this style of hunting if it is legal. It's not for me but either is sitting in a deer stand for hours either. I'm a spot and stalk guy.

That being said it is TOTALLY LAME (IMO) that a hunting show would show this type of hunt. As many pointed out a couple of years back it takes a lot of work to upkeep a bait. The TV hunters don't have to put in one bit of it though. Show up, sit, film, shoot. Lame and lazy. It is an easy guaranteed success show though and they do have responsibilities to their sponsers to actually hunt and kill something each show so I guess this is the easy "Par 3" on the course for them.

I just don't bother watching.

r106
03-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Fair enough-I just didn't think that calling game makes any sense to use in this little debate. Animals communicate with each other, imitating that is part of the chase sometimes and a good skill to have. Comparing it to baiting a bear is just silly.

Why is it silly? Is it not just another way attracting an animal? Why is it okay for people to use deer feeders or plant food plots just for deer or elk? It's widely accepted to even bait wolfs. And yes animals communicate with each other so we take advantage of that. They also eat and drink water so we take advantage of that as well. And blowing on a hootchy moma doesn't take much skill.

I get why people don't want to do it, I don't get why people are against others doing it.

Ian F.
03-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I've done, I've arrowed bears over bait when I lived in Ontario.

TV shows 22 mins of content every half hour, I think less on hunting channel. One watches and edited show that probably is 1/3 the shot and after.

please feel free to ask me questions to expand your knowledge base.

for example

what is your success rate?

how much time does it take before a bear hits your bait?

how often do you check it?

what do you use for bait? Where do you get it? How much does it cost?

What is hunting in the east like compared to the west?

and so on...

very best,

Ian

rcar
03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
I've done, I've arrowed bears over bait when I lived in Ontario.

TV shows 22 mins of content every half hour, I think less on hunting channel. One watches and edited show that probably is 1/3 the shot and after.

please feel free to ask me questions to expand your knowledge base.

for example

what is your success rate?

how much time does it take before a bear hits your bait?

how often do you check it?

what do you use for bait? Where do you get it? How much does it cost?

What is hunting in the east like compared to the west?

and so on...

very best,

Ian

I don't think the question is whether a regular hunter should but rather should a hunting TV show do it for one of their episodes....BIG difference.

Ambush
03-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Would you watch show after show of the typical BC spring bear hunt?

10 minutes of info-mercials. 18 minutes of two guys driving logging roads and drinking T H. 1 1/2 minutes of the guy getting out of the truck and and whacking the scrawny little, sleepy eyed fur ball in the ditch. Close up of the exciting moments of the shooter fumbling with the door latch!!

Tune in next week folks,because we're going to do it all on again! THIS TIME ON QUADS!!!

Easy for us to be snobby. But for the guy that has never seen a black bear and never will where he lives, it might be a different perspective.

Spoiled kids have the least empathy.

I wouldn't even swivel my chair around to watch team sports on TV. Why is it even on??

M.Dean
03-09-2014, 10:35 AM
I try not to watch guy's shoot a Bear that's been Baited, reason is, to me they seem to have missed the part about "Fair Chase". There not chasing Bears, or Hunting Bears, and to me, personally, in my humble opinion, and not putting down folks that do shoot critters over a Bait,it ain't much of a Hunt. Should ask me sometime what I think of the Goode Olde Boy's down South that plant acres and acres of super high protein corn and beans or what ever and there's tons of other crap in there to grow way bigger horns then once the Deer get bigger and quit forging the surrounding area for natural food because some Company that makes Hunting Video's only lets there CEO's in to there tree stands, now, that really get's my blood veins a pop'in!!! ( and I typed all that without tak'in a breath of air)!!!

Hillbros_96
03-09-2014, 10:54 AM

It's strange that BC allows baiting for all big game animals except bears. My feelings are that it must have been some political move, as it has no basis for conservation or fair chase. More provinces allow bear baiting than don't allow it, so it obviously has nothing to do with ethics, and probably more due to politics.

Gatehouse,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Coming from Alberta, I have no problem with baiting bears as it is legal there, but all other baiting of animals is illegal. Again I do not have easy access to an area to bait it properly in BC.

If you are going to jump over baiting bears, I think baiting of ungulates has to be discussed as well. From my observations ungulates are much more susceptible to baiting then the bears. When checking mineral blocks for the cows, there was aways sign of deer and when game camera's showed the same animals coming in frequently to the same area for the mineral. Also seeing the deer come in once the blocks were depleted and the cows moved really showed how they could be enticed to come to the same area.

Weatherby Fan
03-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I thought one of the main reasons for baiting bears was to be able to observe the bear for a longer period of time to ensure you are selecting the proper gender and not making a quick decision on shooting a sow with cubs ?

Not really my style of hunting, but not much different than watching an Alfalfa field for deer or elk to move in and feed.

Surrey Boy
03-09-2014, 11:46 AM
You've never actually done it have you....

You sound like my one buddy who says duck hunting is so lame. But he's not a duck hunter.

Waterfowl hunting is awesome, some of the best sport there is.

What's not awesome is all the no-shooting zones, complaints from busybodies, and excessive regulation.

Surrey Boy
03-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Anybody turned down a job because it paid too much? Turned away some girl cause she was too stupid? Drank listerine because whiskey's too smooth? Detuned their car because it went too fast? Do you dull your knife because it cuts too well? Put holes in your boat if it don't leak?

All whiteys have bag limits, if you tag out on the first day of GOS, you won't get much sympathy if you whine about it. Better than getting skunked IME.

I wonder how sporting it is on the QCI, but I don't hear locals wanting more restrictions on themselves.

Fred H
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
You have to hunt bear in the east to appreciate the fun of bear baiting. The bush is dense pretty much everywhere, there are no southern slopes to concentrate bears and too many farmers and moose hunters illegally shoot the bears on sight any time of the year. The result is nocturnal wary bears. In that context, it is a lot of fun to investigate the signs around a hit bait and trying to determine the path of an arrow on a bear that shows up at very last legal minute. It takes mental toughness to stay perfectly still for hours at bow range of a bait in bugs season. Having done both spot and stalk in BC and baiting in the east, it is way easier and less satisfying to kill a decent bear in BC by driving around than baiting in the east. BTW a baiting site don't have to look like a dump.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/Ours2011-1.jpg (http://s134.photobucket.com/user/beauderek/media/Ours2011-1.jpg.html)

Good luck with spot and stalk in that type of habitat:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/ours4.jpg (http://s134.photobucket.com/user/beauderek/media/ours4.jpg.html)

markomoose
03-09-2014, 12:17 PM
I'll be out chasing those blackies come spring time.Spot and stalk is my adrenaline!!

lorneparker1
03-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Honestly this thread is hilarious.

95% of bears shot in BC are shot off the hood of a truck driving logging roads. Yet baiting is somehow not sporting! LOL

What a joke.

adriaticum
03-09-2014, 12:37 PM
It's nice to have options.
We don't have to exercise them.

st99
03-09-2014, 12:43 PM
I agree 100% with you, on another note, we have enough to fight anti's, we don't need to fight each other as well and make it easy for them

Chopper
03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Delete ...

hunter fisher
03-09-2014, 01:20 PM
baiting for game is probably the most primitive hunting aid known to man, and it allows the current-era hunter to look the bear over and know hes shooting what he wants, as opposed to shooting something 200 yards away and then realize its half rubbed out when he gets close. i have no problem with it and hope it becomes legal in bc one day. IMO, it would save alot of young bears and increase the size and quality of bears taken by most hunters

two-feet
03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
The only advantages we have over animals is our brains and technology, this is how we kill ALL of our game. Unless you go out in the bush naked and judo-chop a bear until it taps out, don't judge other methods unless illegal. Baiting is same shit, different pile

finngun
03-09-2014, 02:44 PM
if bear tag limit is 2 bears per/hunter..what diff.. it makes is it baited or shot from 500 yards away..or shot -bow -arrow..or any another legal way?
it is 2 bear out of the forest..anyway..i would say too--don't judge other methods unless illegal...:mrgreen:

skibum
03-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Does the average hunter bait bears where it is allowed? Or is it just guides.

All these comments about how hard baiting bears is, just wondering if it is joe blow who baits or mostly guides who make a living off if it?

M.Dean
03-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Well, looking at this subject in a different light, other than my first post, (I took my pills and feel better now) some of our best Mule Deer or White Tail Deer hunting is near dusk, at the edges of the local alpha fields! So, going totally against what I'd said before, this is a type of baiting too! So, lets all have a big, I mean a real big group hug here and anyone who does want to have a good cry because they were losing there argument, cry! Post a few pic's with the tears rolling down your face, and I promise no one will repost them at a later date! And, looking at the pic of where that bait barrel is, good luck trying to get me and my Quad in there to wack a 7 1/2 foot light brown black bear!!!

pro 111
03-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Awesome guys , I thought it would go to page 10 by now but 7 was good enough entertainment. Lots of different opinions on here.
LOL.
Thanks for all who agreed with me.

Lillypuff
03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Will not watch it on T.V. It is a riot and totally fair. Don't knock it till you try it. The smell is quite wrong and the mosquitos are horrible. Great way to confirm size. I am sure most have us have shot a toilet seat cover that we thought was a decent bear until we got up to it. With all this being said it is not for me rather golf or fish

r106
03-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Awesome guys , I thought it would go to page 10 by now but 7 was good enough entertainment. Lots of different opinions on here.
LOL.

And a even bigger thanks to everyone else who are not so narrow minded and judgmental

afflicted 1
03-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Any one ever try baiting the rusty barrell bum with a pack of butts..sorry had to.

Ian F.
03-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Your average hunting show skips 98% of hunting....

wondering your thoughts on 1000yd shots, shooting is it not?

field marshal
03-09-2014, 07:27 PM
What about sitting on a lawn chair with a big bag of popcorn, texting friends, waiting for an alfalfa and corn eating deer to wander too close to the fence
line you are sitting along??? I hear this is sometimes practiced in the Courtenay---Comox area??? Just sayin'!!!:mrgreen:---Cheers---Field Marshal.

IronNoggin
03-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Awesome guys , I thought it would go to page 10 by now but 7 was good enough entertainment...

Standard enough TROLL for this time of year. Found a few "Biter's" I see.......

... Seems to be no shortage of folks who want to force what they have decided as ethical on others.

... Equally ridiculous are the opinions of those here whom think that they are entitled to state what does or does not give whomever "a bad name".

At least some see through the bullshit well enough to Sum It Up Nicely. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

BiG Boar
03-09-2014, 09:30 PM
There's a lot of shows people don't want to watch. To each there own. I don't watch hockey ever because a bunch of guys chasing around a puck day after day is boring. That being said, I don't watch the bear baiting shows either, or the white tail shows, or the Alberta moose shows. But I know this much, just because I don't watch it, doesn't mean it's stupid or unethical or boring. It's just not my thing. What I was saying when I brought up the trail cams and elk calls was just trying to say that some people think that practice is unethical and stupid. But dividing the hunting community, especially when you have no clue what is actually involved in the hunt tops the list of stupidity. All of your methods of hunting are seen as stupid, too easy and not fair chase by most of the anti hunting community. Keep that in mind.

.330 Dakota
03-09-2014, 09:57 PM
There's a lot of shows people don't want to watch. To each there own. I don't watch hockey ever because a bunch of guys chasing around a puck day after day is boring. That being said, I don't watch the bear baiting shows either, or the white tail shows, or the Alberta moose shows. But I know this much, just because I don't watch it, doesn't mean it's stupid or unethical or boring. It's just not my thing. What I was saying when I brought up the trail cams and elk calls was just trying to say that some people think that practice is unethical and stupid. But dividing the hunting community, especially when you have no clue what is actually involved in the hunt tops the list of stupidity. All of your methods of hunting are seen as stupid, too easy and not fair chase by most of the anti hunting community. Keep that in mind.
VERY VERY VERY GOOD POINT
We get enough slack and BS, without heaping it on ourselves,,

United we stand, Divided we fall,,,,,lets not allow the anti's to divide us.
Many times I read posts on here and wonder if the poster is actually an anti, on here in cognito...Im sure there are a few lurking.

finngun
03-09-2014, 10:15 PM
winni the pooh,,,doing little rope hanging..funny...
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83933733/ :mrgreen:

Gateholio
03-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Very well done. I feel the same about hockey. Rarely watch it except for if the Canucks are in the quarter finals and beyond. Then it's exciting. I get Wild tv because it's cheap and about 20% of it interests me.

.330 Dakota
03-09-2014, 11:00 PM
I always enjoyed Billy Molls,,,havent seen him in a long time

Drillbit
03-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Because of the nasty weather this weekend, I re-watched 'Meat Hunter' on OLN. One episode featured hunting on a farm with a bunch of 'drivers' pushing the deer out of their bedding area and by the waiting hunters. To me, this is not hunting as I was raised and know it, but for some, it is, especially in the eastern and southern States where most hunting is done on farms. If it is legal, who am I to ridicule or call down those that hunt or shoot animals by using legal but different methods than mine?

Good to hear you're open minded. I'm watching the meateater marathon on PRV right now and haven't seen that one yet, looking forward to it.

My evolution of hunting has brought me to tag-team hunting and taking turns taking a track and pushing game to a partner. I do this with most game now and it works very well (sometimes it's not following a track, it's knowing/guessing a common escape route of the area for the species. For us, the poster is plan B and the pusher is the guy trying for the kill by stalking (but also pressuring the game toward the poster). Have to be able to read the land well, think like the prey, and follow through with the plan without being selfish. The poster has to be smart too, to pick the right spot to see where they'll escape and be quiet getting there and waiting there.
The whole key is the team/partner.

1/2 slam
03-10-2014, 12:51 AM
And a even bigger thanks to everyone else who are not so narrow minded and judgmental

There are certainly a lot of narrow minded judgemental people here aren't there? Anyone who thinks baiting bears is easy has obviously never done it and hasn't a clue

Chopper
03-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Delete ....

Chopper
03-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Anti hunting thread ... Should be Locked

leadpillproductions
03-10-2014, 06:36 AM
I for one hate watchin on tv . but Id hunt over bait barrel I think it would be a blast . But then people think just drivin around kickin a door open isn't fun . Cant judge until u try it .

Walksalot
03-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Lets live and let live. As long as it's legal we should not impose our personal values on others. But, when I watched on YouTube that idiot in Saskatchewan ride the wounded deer down the hill my blood boiled. I would love an opportunity to impose my values on that guy.:wink:

BCHunterFSJ
03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Your right to a degree but I believe its things like killing a bear over a 50 gallon drum gives us all a bad name . If your going to do it why post it on TV.

Because it is a HUNTING show...

BCHunterFSJ
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
When I lived in Quebec I did a lot of bear hunting over bait. It was challenging and exciting - scouting, putting up and checking baits, and watching bears at close range (easier to judge a trophy). I've had bears try to climb up into my tree blind... Besides, in some places like Quebec and Ontario, you simply do not see bears without baiting. Either you bait, or you don't bear hunt!
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!!

greenhorn
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Is the OP also against using bait and lures for fishing?

Ltbullken
03-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Not my thing. Don't really see that as hunting though I guess other areas have unique challenges to hunting bears. Personally, I find a good growth of young clover or a good cut block with young greenery in the spring and either stand it or walk it out quietly usually. Never fails.

OutWest
03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
The most active threads on here are always hunters arguing with one another. Sheep, point restrictions, baiting - you name it. 1 step forward, 2 steps back for the hunting community.

aggiehunter
03-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I would rather bears eat bear food..not donuts and lard..

Wild one
03-10-2014, 12:52 PM
No problem with bear baiting and won't judge what kind of hunt it is till I try it. I honestly think it would take a lot of work to maintain bait sites.

How bears are hunted in BC is different for starters because of a higher population than the rest of the country. As for BC bear hunters being more ethical I don't buy it. Most are road hunted and the shooter usually stocks 10yards or less from the truck. The main effort put in by most BC black bear hunters is getting the dead bear in the truck.

The way most hunt black bear in BC is nothing to brag about

Don't forget to put the truck in park before you jump out this spring :twisted:

Gateholio
03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
:mrgreen:

We need a poll

"What is more ethical?"

1. Baiting bears so they can be shot from treestands

2. Road hunting in a truck or ATV, where the hunter bails out and shoots the bear near the road

It's a good poll for the ethics police. Make sure you make it a public poll, too. :)

papaken
03-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Not my thing. Don't really see that as hunting though I guess other areas have unique challenges to hunting bears. Personally, I find a good growth of young clover or a good cut block with young greenery in the spring and either stand it or walk it out quietly usually. Never fails.

That sounds like a great way to hunt. Find a food source or mineral lick set up a stand or blind or stalk into it and shoot your bear. Wait that almost sounds like baiting or is it just another variation of hunting that suits your style. As others have said stop criticizing other hunters and unite against the people that use our dissension to further their agenda of "NO HUNTING" period.

Ltbullken
03-10-2014, 01:57 PM
That sounds like a great way to hunt. Find a food source or mineral lick set up a stand or blind or stalk into it and shoot your bear. Wait that almost sounds like baiting or is it just another variation of hunting that suits your style. As others have said stop criticizing other hunters and unite against the people that use our dissension to further their agenda of "NO HUNTING" period.

I think the difference here is that the hunter goes out to locate good habitat and determine whether it is worth hunting. And as I said, other areas have unique hunting challenges. Bait stands are not my preference for a hunt. Let's face it, bear hunting in BC, at least when I go out, is usually a one day/afternoon trip unless you are very picky about the bear you want. The area I hunt is lousy with bears so is easy if you're not fussy. I'm okay with bait stands. I would never hunt that way myself.

Good2bCanadian
03-10-2014, 02:03 PM
I support all forms of legal hunting.I know what forms I enjoy.I wouldn't never tell someone that there legal method is wrong.Have fun out there. No matter what method you choose.

Mulehahn
03-10-2014, 02:39 PM
As for the title of this thread, I don't care for hunting shows about shooting bears over bait. This is not to say that I oppose baiting, but rather that due to editting, segments, and such, these shows fail do the hunt justice. Few things are as fun as watching a sow with young cubs playing and running, or match the anticipation of watching mom smell the wind, gather the cubs and leave knowing that one of the few things that would cause that is a big boar. Further a great among of scouting and planning go into finding a spot to place the bait. But at my heart, I love bear hunting in BC. Yes, it is a road hunt usually, with a few stops in to look on the back side of a few ridges I know. Try to always buy two tags, one for the first legal bear I see then hold out for a monster. Sometimes the two are the same. But it is always fun!

TheProvider
03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Perhaps I should move back to Ontario and invite some of you hunting. Half you would probably crap yourselves being on the ground 15yrds from multiple bears. A long ways away from driving all day an simply stopping to glass a spot or walk through a grassy area and shoot a bear over 150yrds away. This exact debate pops up about once a month on here. Most of you truly do not know the amount of work, time and money that goes into it. Whether or not they should show it on tv? If they only allowed shows on tv that appealed to everyone there probably wouldn't be such thing as tv.

REMINGTON JIM
03-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Well said. I for one have done it...once...never again,,,didnt seem fair to me,,but I had to try it so I could have an opinion.
My opinion...not fair chase,,more like shooting dump bears

Shooting Dump Bears is my Favourite Past Time Sport ! :cool: :biggrin: LOL RJ

Call of the Wild
03-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Maybe politics but grizzlies and bait site is scary. Last year, in Alberta, I ran two baits which was in some grizzly country. I was nervous every time I accessed a site, grizzlies will defend a food source fiercely.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Not for me but for those who do fill your boots. I just disagree with teaching the bear to eat human food. If it was natural feed only allow, such and berries or beaver I would not mind so much.
I hope this never happens in BC.

Ambush
03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Not for me but for those who do fill your boots. ...............I hope this never happens in BC.

In some states where they banned baiting on the premise that it was unfair or un-ethical, they quickly sought and got an end to chasing with hounds on the same argument.

What could be easier than walking up to a tree and plugging a bear [cougar, lynx] that doesn't even have the option of flight. The "fish in a barrel" argument is easy to make for hound hunts. And it's my opinion that hounds'man may get less sympathy simply because of the exclusivity of the sport.

I too hope this never happens in BC, so I'd rather support and even promote styles of hunting that don't appeal to me personally rather than lose ground anywhere.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Understood Ambush, I never said get rid of it I just don't want it here in BC. It never makes sense that we have CO's killing problem bears that are in peoples trash. Why be the teacher?
Hound hunting is not about the shot at the tree, it is about the dogs some people don't like it most have never tried it. No different then bird dogs and bird hunters.

r106
03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
I too hope this never happens in BC, so I'd organization'st and even promote styles of hunting that don't appeal to me personally rather than lose ground anywhere.

Thats just it. It's been proven with the anti hunting and anti gun organizations that if we give an inch they'll take a mile. Whether you like a hunting meathod or not we need to stand together.

The only problem with fair chase is everyone has a different opinion on what fair chace is. As long as we use meathods that humanely dispatch the animals we should be supportive

bugler
03-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Fair chase has been defined and adopted by Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young. Baiting and hounds are in, high fenced enclosures are out. If it falls under these generally accepted rules of fair chase I'm ok with it, although it may not be how I would choose to hunt.

Ringo 7MM
03-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Everyone should ask Bob Loblaw the Bear and hear what he has to say.:mrgreen:

Citori54
03-19-2014, 04:51 PM
If it is legal I don't have any issue with a particular method of hunting. I no longer hunt bear as I shot one and did not care for the meat, however I still firmly support bear hunting. Hunters play right in to the hands of antis when we get into these arguments amongst ourselves.

Downwind
03-19-2014, 08:46 PM
How about looking at this from a completely different context. Baiting being MORE ethical. When you spot and stalk a bear you generally don't have a lot of time to make your decision on whether or not to pull the trigger. This means there is a greater chance of shooting a young bear, sow (maybe even one with cubs). When someone is hunting over bait they usually have a lot more time to judge the size of the bear, its sex and to make sure that there are no cubs. I've never hunted over bait and wouldn't have the time or energy to do it even if it were legal here.

rattling_junkie
03-20-2014, 08:26 AM
There are a lot of uneducated opinions on bear baiting. Here are a few things about bear baiting from a Manitoba bear guide and hunter. Household trash is not used as bear bait. So bears do not become accustomed to going through peoples trash. In a dry year with a low berry count are when bears will raid trash cans (in Manitoba). Grain is the preferred bait, as it is not messy or stinky.

Going for 6 1/2 foot plus bears is the challenge, but I have had baits where it was tough to get on a solid 5 1/2 foot. It is still hunting, baits shut down, bears move on for whatever reason and we are left scratching our heads. Believe me in bear camp we have wondered where all the bears have gone a few times. As it turns out natural food sources are a bigger draw then our bait. It is funny when dandelions, grass, buds, fiddleheads, etc. are a bigger draw then what we can provide. It really cements it that baiting bears is hunting and challenging.

farnsie
03-20-2014, 08:36 AM
I got rid of wild tv when I saw a grown man cry after he arrowed a bear over a bait barrel. Absolutely pathetic. Now I just watch the meat eater an actual real hunting show.

BRvalley
03-20-2014, 02:08 PM
so when does "fair chase" end?

should we ban hounds? ban hunting on farm land? game cameras? heli's are no go, why not planes? if you want to hunt remote, then hike in lol

anybody who says baiting is easy, for bear or deer, has obviously not tried it for themselves

I personally hold myself to the utmost highest ethical standards, so I prefer to hunt with just my hands and nails, bare footed and naked as well....I once had an entire film crew watching me for hours, when I approached them and asked why, a guy named BoBo seemed really disappointed....

I have nothing against baiting....but I do agree that some hunting shows (not just baiting episodes) are horrible

butcher
03-20-2014, 07:13 PM
so when does "fair chase" end?

should we ban hounds? ban hunting on farm land? game cameras? heli's are no go, why not planes? if you want to hunt remote, then hike in lol

anybody who says baiting is easy, for bear or deer, has obviously not tried it for themselves

I personally hold myself to the utmost highest ethical standards, so I prefer to hunt with just my hands and nails, bare footed and naked as well....I once had an entire film crew watching me for hours, when I approached them and asked why, a guy named BoBo seemed really disappointed....

I have nothing against baiting....but I do agree that some hunting shows (not just baiting episodes) are horrible

excellent post. I'm really sick of holier than thou hunters

hunter1947
03-21-2014, 04:22 AM
I don't have to worry about watching hunting shows seeing what they do because I never watch them..

hunter fisher
03-21-2014, 06:18 AM
if you think baiting for bears in unethical, the antis are on your side too... think about that one

cascades
03-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Ethical or not, bear baiting on TV is poor optics for the hunting community. The antis can spin it against us quite easily.

Meat Eater is the best portrayal of hunting I have seen on TV. He walks, shoots and misses, gets skunked plus no over the top sponsorship.

wicket
03-28-2014, 09:23 AM
having set up my own baits here in ont i can speak with some experience. those shows never show just how much work it is to run a successful bait. if you think you just plop a rust can in the woods filled with goodies set your stand up and shoot you are sadly mistaken. Its a ton of work and money and allows the time to look over the bear and make sure I pick a boar. I can see both sides to the arguement however. I would not pay to go on a baited bear hunt. I get a lot of satisfaction figuring the bears habitat out and the work involved before i release the string on my recurve. I dont knock fellow hunters who do pay because lets face it not everyone has the time or experience to diy.
agreed ....meat eater is the best hunting tv show on the tube. the rest is just fluff and marketing and ego stroking

skibum
03-28-2014, 09:32 PM
I don't think I would ever hunt bears over bait. Not against it. Do think it is a good way to watch for females.

But getting back to the TV show aspect of it. Saw a TV show with a guy filling his rusty barrels up with grease from a restaurant and donuts. literally he had a pig pen of a set up. Totally turned me off hunting over barrels. Felt like it was the "one bad cop" kind of thing giving all hunters a bad name. Could not believe someone would want to sit over the mess all day, not alone why it was turned into a tv show.

Darksith
03-29-2014, 08:25 AM
boring, don't watch em. Not interested in doing that at any point in time honestly, but to each their own. It is the norm for a lot of folks out there

Ambush
03-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Anybody ever wonder where the "end the hunt" lobby gets some of those quotes from hunters that agree we shouldn't be shooting bears??

Maybe just cruise a hunting site. :confused: :?

Sherpa
03-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Lets all keep BC hunting ethics and hunting style away from baiting of any kind. Unskilled and lazy hunters should hunt elsewhere.

Ambush
03-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Lets all keep BC hunting ethics and hunting style away from baiting of any kind. Unskilled and lazy hunters should hunt elsewhere.

Thanks for illustrating my previous post.

r106
03-29-2014, 10:17 AM

Why?? I assume you have experienced baited animals to come to that conclusion??? Or is the just another uneducated ignorant post? You have a right to your opinion but what made you come to that conclusion?

I didn't know BC was only made of elite hunters like yourself

butcher
03-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Why?? I assume you have experienced baited animals to come to that conclusion??? Or is the just another uneducated ignorant post? You have a right to your opinion but what made you come to that conclusion?

I didn't know BC was only made of elite hunters like yourself

good post.

jtred
03-29-2014, 02:33 PM
One of the arguments for hunting over bait is that it gives the hunter more time and a closer look at the animal, allowing him/her to more accurately determine if it's the bear they want. It isn't a style of hunting which interests me, I much prefer still hunting, still hunting, or calling(I'm new to the bear hunting thing so I plan on more or less hunting them the way I hunt everything else, lots of walking).

Sapper1
03-29-2014, 02:53 PM

Tell me how taking 2 or 3 barrels shooting them full of slug holes from the old 12ga behind the door then thowing all Tim Hortons table scraps from the last 2 days in them and then throwing them on the back of the quad and dumping them in the bush consititutes work? Please enlighten me!

Wild one
03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Tell me how taking 2 or 3 barrels shooting them full of slug holes from the old 12ga behind the door then thowing all Tim Hortons table scraps from the last 2 days in them and then throwing them on the back of the quad and dumping them in the bush consititutes work? Please enlighten me!

Still more work than putting your truck in park before jumping out

Gateholio
03-29-2014, 03:17 PM

. It's apparent by your comments you have no idea what sort of work is involved in baiting bears.

But you don't really want to be enlightened, you already have made up your mind and just want to chuck out nonsense comments.

Sapper1
03-29-2014, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Gatehouse;1482560]. It's apparent by your comments you have no idea what sort of work is involved in baiting bears.

But you don't really want to be enlightened, you already have made up your mind and just want to chuck out nonsense comments.[/QUOTE

good to see you know what your talking about there chief keep up the good work!

Surrey Boy
03-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Too many tough guys on this thread for me, I'll just wait till fall and bait deer in front of a trailcam and stick em with my crossbow.

Rethards think they're so smart.

r106
03-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Too many tough guys on this thread for me, I'll just wait till fall and bait deer in front of a trailcam and stick em with my crossbow.

Rethards think they're so smart.

lol........

IslandBC
03-29-2014, 06:28 PM
I think a black bear that has been eating candy would be kind of good. That being said, I dont agree with baiting bears but i wont judge anyone else for doing so. There is nothing natural about anyones hunt. Logging roads, Cut blocks, Rifle, Compound Bow, Optics ect. No "truck hunter" would ever see a bear without a road, No "spot and stalk" hunter would kill a bear without a rifle or bow and No "Baiter" would kill a bear without bait. Every aspect of hunting is un natural. unless your throwing rocks.

Montana
03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Its not for me either, but then again, still hunting in general isn't my game. I like to spot and stalk, but I guess to each his own.

Well, I hate to rain on your parade, but the true definition of "Still Hunting" is pretty close to spot and stalk... "Still Hunting" is not sitting in a tree...It's walking quietly through the woods, etc. stopping from time to time in order to spot game.

wicket
03-30-2014, 04:00 PM

hmmm are you really serious? must be trolling

rides bike to work
03-30-2014, 09:19 PM
I would shoot a baited bear. I would still do my regular outings glassing grassy slopes and scaring sows an small young bears off road sides. Then I would check my cams and hopefully a big boar hittingu bait then go sit on it for one or two nights .And hopefully take him.

it would very much be a real and tough hunt in every way.