PDA

View Full Version : Water Training

bc-hunter
03-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Hello everyone!

I have an 11-month Golden Retriever (Charlie) and he does not want to swim. He will retrieve grouse on land without any problems but will not jump in the water to retrieve a duck or even a stick.

What do you guys think? Can you share any training suggestions? I signed us up for a field training course at the end of the month and that will hopefully get him started in the water.

Thank you,
Peter

labguy
03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Hello everyone!

I have an 11-month Golden Retriever (Charlie) and he does not want to swim. He will retrieve grouse on land without any problems but will not jump in the water to retrieve a duck or even a stick.

What do you guys think? Can you share any training suggestions? I signed us up for a field training course at the end of the month and that will hopefully get him started in the water.

Thank you,
Peter

I wouldn't be be doing any water work with a dog that has never been in the water until the water temperature gets around the 60 degree Fahrenheit range which probably won't be for at least another month or two.

The field training course will hopefully give you some skills to help your dog succeed. Good luck

Foxton Gundogs
03-08-2014, 01:50 PM
I had a lab he turned into by far the best dog I have ever owned and I've owned some great ones. The first few ducks I shot for him he would walk out till the water was chest deep and bark at it. the following summer I took him to the beach every chance I got and went in the water with him once he figured it out we swam all the time( he used to tow me across Whonnock Lake). From that summer on I could not keep him out of the water. I would take this approach with him as soon as the water is warm enough for you to swim. DON'T force him, start by walking in and encouraging him to follow you when he is comfortable walking around in the water then get deeper slowly till eventually he will have to swim to get to you. Take the whole summer if necessary don't rush him and NEVER toss a dog in to get them to swim.
The key is starting them slowly in warm water when they are young. I start my pups at 8 weeks if weather permits playing at the pond with my other dogs eventually the just start to swim naturally and a 'monster is born'
Good luck feel free to PM me any time

Hurtlocker
03-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I have A Rodesian Ridgeback that would not swim, so I took her to the beach(it was in the summer thankfully)and had her on a leash . I ran around with her in the ankle deep water for a while, next up to the knees. Tail still wagging so it was up to her chest. Slowly graduating till she was barely walking, at this point she started pawing for the next step and was swimming.
I let her swim for short periods(10 feet out then guide her back). Lots of confidence building with her on a short leash . Eventualy with slow progression she is a swimmer. Key in this for me was letting her know with confidence that this IS happening and not up for debate. I am no dog expert but this worked for me in a few days.

FirePower
03-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Three very good posts of advice, I could not think of any thing to add.

heyblast
03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
I had chocolate lab that wouldn't swim till she was eleven months. I threw a stick out in water just deep enough that she would have to swim and she went after it. Before that she would only go as far as her chest. Once she started to swim you couldn't keep out of the water.

BiG Boar
03-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Warm water is what all the books say. The one thing they say not to do is try to get her to swim in cold water. A pair of chest waders will come in handy.

lip_ripper00
03-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Listen to the experts, my pup fell off the dock when she was 4 mo. old, I watched as she sank and the BIG brown eyes looking up at me, I was ready to jump in when she surfaced. She looked at me looked at the beach and and was gone!!! She swam up the beach ran back down the dock and launched her self back in to the water. If these pictures work this is Kaylee at 12mo.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af124/lip_ripper00/SAM_0023.jpg (http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/lip_ripper00/media/SAM_0023.jpg.html)

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af124/lip_ripper00/SAM_0022.jpg[/URL]

bc-hunter
03-08-2014, 10:43 PM
That's great, thank you for your input! I'll wait till the weather warms up to coax him into the water and we'll start the field training class near the end of March.

Cdn-Redneck
03-08-2014, 10:49 PM
I started by throwing a bumper into a puddle or across a puddle that gets their feet wet and work out from there. My dog is nuts for water, just don't rush it.

lip_ripper00
03-08-2014, 11:07 PM
I just reread my post and hope I did'nt diss the dog trainers. My dog situation could have gone either way but turned out great. Listen to what they tell you.

FirePower
03-08-2014, 11:51 PM
There is a world of experience in the first 2 replies and as every one has said since warm water and time will work in your favor if you do it right you will have a water dog by next season.

bc-hunter
03-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Thank you!

Kasomor
03-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Ditto on the warm water thing... if the water is to cold for you to wade through it is for a young dog as well... I have a hot tub thermometer in with my training kit. Below 55F I strive to keep them out of the water.

Training a dog to swim and swimming for fun is not the same as a dog being in the water while hunting. Dogs can and do get hypothermia so better to error on the side of caution.

When it is warm enough, I have been known to put on chest waders and wade through marshes with my pups following me as well... they are not going to be left behind. :-)

loosearch
03-12-2014, 04:44 PM
I found if you have a friend with an older dog that likes to swim, take the dogs to a field until they get use to playing each other, then take them swimming and the young dog normally will follow. (try to find a spot with a nice gradual bank into the water). Once your dog likes to swim, I start by doing some retrieves on the shore and gradually work towards the water, then cast one into the water about a foot and see how your dog reacts. I do one in the water then one on the bank until they get use to it.