PDA

View Full Version : Schedule C on the South Island (Rabbit & Squirrel)

stevo911_
03-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm interested in doing some bunny and squirrel hunting on the South Island (Sooke-Renfrew?)
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on areas to check out (I've never been on the Inland side of the road to Renfrew, but I do have a backroad mapbook and plan on doing some exploring)
From the reading I've been doing clover and ~10 year clear cuts tend to be the place they're at, and have heard things about the powerline roads near nanaimo, but nothing for the south island.
Are there Grey Squirrels and/or Cotton Tails/European rabbits out in that neck of the woods?
Any tips for a complete newbie would be appreciated! (Never hunted before, just have my pal, no core)

Fella
03-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Well one of my pals used to trap bunnies at Uvic when he was a student there. Nothing like some fresh free organic meat for a starving student!

stevo911_
03-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Uvic got rid of all the bunnies.
I wouldn't call it organic meat either, when I was going to school there lots of the bunnies wouldnt eat veggies, only hash browns and pizza crust (actually).

longstonec
03-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Damn, I was going to say Uvic too!

I bet a hashbrown bunny would be tasty

stevo911_
03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
The hashbrown bunnies were definitely plumper, but lots of them had extra weird lumps and stuff going on. Maybe they were "flavour bumps"?

stevo911_
03-19-2014, 10:58 AM
I take it there isn't too much interest in this eh?

BrodieG
03-19-2014, 02:25 PM
There are rabbits and squirrels all over the place on the south island. Power line roads, gravel pits, everywhere. Just go cruise around and you will find something.