PDA

View Full Version : Moose declines in Minnesota

Cordillera
03-07-2014, 06:22 PM
This is worth watching.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/06/climate-change-moose-dying_n_4911935.html

two-feet
03-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Hmm good vid. More questions than answers.

Family legend has it that my great grammpy was out on his trapline in the Cibolla range south of Houston in the 30's and came apon a track that his native partner could not identify. My great grampa came from northern Sweden and figured it for a moose track so they followed it down to Eutsuk lake and shot it across a bay. The same year some fellow shot one up by Granisle. And that was the start of the moose in these parts. And they were thicker than hell for many years due to the logging of the valley bottoms and the wolf control.

Maybe it is going back to the old ways?

kilometers
03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Great video. I guess only time will tell what it really is. I know the Nass has a 70 percent decline but their is very few deer up here so I don't believe that would be the cause up here.
Poaching, habitat loss, climate change, over hunting, could all be major factors.

Ringo 7MM
03-08-2014, 01:08 PM
The moose decline is due to idiots on skidoos with 9mm pistols, saw the video.

Cordillera
03-08-2014, 07:10 PM
It's true that moose were either not present or really uncommon in the Bulkley valley 150 years ago. Some people claim they came following logging or fires but there were piles of moose groceries in the region before due to natural and human made fires so that theory doesn't hold water. Just reminds us that wildlife populations cycle, and ecosystems are not static.

two-feet
03-08-2014, 09:04 PM
It's true that moose were either not present or really uncommon in the Bulkley valley 150 years ago. Some people claim they came following logging or fires but there were piles of moose groceries in the region before due to natural and human made fires so that theory doesn't hold water. Just reminds us that wildlife populations cycle, and ecosystems are not static.

This is true. If we humans would only admit that what we don't know is vastly greater that what we do know then things would be in perspective a bit better.