PDA

View Full Version : Spring Blackies

Livinlarge
03-07-2014, 03:55 PM
So April 1 is not far off and I'd like to do a quick three day trip somewhere between hope and Merritt for some black bears.

Any predictions when we might start to see these guys wake up? What's the timing been like in the years gone by?

cheers!

NitwiT
03-07-2014, 04:01 PM
good activity in May around Princeton. Please don't go there, that whole region is my honey hole.

BearStump
03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Thats a difficult question. Depends on where you plan on hunting, elavation, and snow pack. Where I go for my spring bear, there is no reason to get too anxious, as I cant even get in there usually till the first week of May or so. I spent too many years hunting hard starting April 1st just to realize that there's nothing happening till around the 3rd week or so. doesnt hurt to get out and scout for greenery and sign, but if your hunting days are limited with the wife like mine are, you're better off to wait a few weeks.

russm
03-07-2014, 04:19 PM
I've had zero luck in April always seen more sign/bears in the last week of April an later .

Steelpulse
03-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Yep for sure better off waiting until late april may and onwards, but good excuse to get out in the bush with a gun and go for a walk

r106
03-07-2014, 04:41 PM
All my success up the mountains has been the last 2 weeks of May. Might have better luck down low around hope earlier. Don't get me wrong they will be out of there den a lot earlier than that but have never connected in the earlier part of the season.

davet
03-07-2014, 06:20 PM
I would wait till end on April. Just hit the FSR youll find some. Look for poop on the roads.

rcar
03-08-2014, 12:02 PM
I have hunted that area quite a few times and as others have already pointed out, wait until May. If you have the "itch" go for a scouting day or two to get familiar with the area. A few suggestions would be the Squeah Lake area and Spuzzum FSR Area. Tons of bears in both areas but you won't likely see any in April.

finngun
03-08-2014, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=Steelpulse;1473295]Yep for sure better off waiting until late april may and onwards, but good excuse to get out in the bush with a gun and go for a walk
jep yu can always blasted some wasky wabbits..or coyote.or wolf..or.or??:mrgreen: just make a camp fire..soda? and sausage..hmmm

snow
03-09-2014, 07:24 PM
.....but if your hunting days are limited with the wife like mine are, you're better off to wait a few weeks.

Have you tried disguising scouting trips into romantic outings? If your wife likes picnics in the woods and on snow, you could squeeze in more hunting days :-)

biggyun68
03-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Have you tried disguising scouting trips into romantic outings? If your wife likes picnics in the woods and on snow, you could squeeze in more hunting days :-)

It is hard for us males to give our focus to two different and distinct subjects at the same time:-D We are not wired for that and god help the man who ignores his wife on a romantic outing...

olympia
03-10-2014, 02:54 PM
It is hard for us males to give our focus to two different and distinct subjects at the same time:-D We are not wired for that and god help the man who ignores his wife on a romantic outing...

I ignored my wife once during a romantic outing, HE didn't seem to mind LOL just kidding

BearStump
03-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Not a bad suggestion at all, The wife would love to go for a hike in the woods. But the 4 year old's legs will be rubber in no time and the 2 year old is getting really heavy for that backpack.
Not only that but she's no dummy. I have tried it before and as soon as she sees the rifle its " Oh I see, you just want to go Fing hunting On our only day off together......." LOL I think I'm just screwed for a few years till the little ones can keep up. then she'll be begging me to take off with the kids for the day.

nx2001
03-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Not a bad suggestion at all, The wife would love to go for a hike in the woods. But the 4 year old's legs will be rubber in no time and the 2 year old is getting really heavy for that backpack.
Not only that but she's no dummy. I have tried it before and as soon as she sees the rifle its " Oh I see, you just want to go Fing hunting On our only day off together......." LOL I think I'm just screwed for a few years till the little ones can keep up. then she'll be begging me to take off with the kids for the day.

Just my thought. The moment my wife sees me bring out the camo and the bow case, I get the dirty looks of "why you abandoning me and your 2 year old son? It ain't your allotted hunting days yet."

Rackmastr
03-15-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm lucky as hell..

What would make my wife the happiest woman this spring is if I found her a big black bear and she dumped it.

We've gone out a few times and passed up some smaller bears, but a good solid black bear is her white elephant so far!

dakoda62
03-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Can't wait, just bought this years licence and Blackie tag.

MichelD
03-15-2014, 03:10 PM
I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday one year.

"A bear," she said.

We went for a romantic afternoon, camped by a river had dinner and she said "what about that bear?"

"I don't want to shoot it now, then we'd have to go home," I said. "I'll shoot it in the morning, pass the wine please."

Next morning on June 5 (her birthday) I got up early, got on my bike and went to my spot, shot the bear and went back to wake her up.

We went back with the truck, gutted, skinned and quartered the bear then went back to camp for breakfast.

VancouverSkiBum
03-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Can't wait, just bought this years licence and Blackie tag.

May I ask how you got the licence? I thought you had to wait until April 1st? Or can you get it now but not use it till April? Newbie here. Thanks.

BearStump
03-15-2014, 04:07 PM
no, you can buy your license now. Just cant hunt bears till April 1st.

VancouverSkiBum
03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Sorry should of been more clear. Isnt a hunting licence like a fishing licence? If I buy one now it will expire in 15 days? And ill have to get the new one? And can I buy the upcoming one now to use later? Thanks.

butcher
03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
You can buy either hunting or fishing license now for the new year. They just aren't valid until April 1st.

itsy bitsy xj
03-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday one year.

"A bear," she said.

We went for a romantic afternoon, camped by a river had dinner and she said "what about that bear?"

"I don't want to shoot it now, then we'd have to go home," I said. "I'll shoot it in the morning, pass the wine please."

Next morning on June 5 (her birthday) I got up early, got on my bike and went to my spot, shot the bear and went back to wake her up.

We went back with the truck, gutted, skinned and quartered the bear then went back to camp for breakfast.

YOU ARE A LUCKY MAN!!!
Does she have a sister lol

snow
03-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Sorry should of been more clear. Isnt a hunting licence like a fishing licence? If I buy one now it will expire in 15 days? And ill have to get the new one? And can I buy the upcoming one now to use later? Thanks.

When you buy the licence they put in the year it expires (the year on the book is not pre-printed). I just got my licences this week - one they marked to expire 2014 and one 2015.

realneil
03-15-2014, 08:18 PM
There was a small one cruizing around Peterson Creek in Kamloops this week. Some are up!

eaglesnester
03-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Thats a difficult question. Depends on where you plan on hunting, elavation, and snow pack. Where I go for my spring bear, there is no reason to get too anxious, as I cant even get in there usually till the first week of May or so. I spent too many years hunting hard starting April 1st just to realize that there's nothing happening till around the 3rd week or so. doesnt hurt to get out and scout for greenery and sign, but if your hunting days are limited with the wife like mine are, you're better off to wait a few weeks.X2 on the above. I like to wait until the dandelions are out. U go out early and it can be a waste of fuel and time.

ducktoller
03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
X2 on the above. I like to wait until the dandelions are out. U go out early and it can be a waste of fuel and time.

Kill the bear and take the dandelions yourself, bear breakfast sausage and dandelion jam on toast mmmmmmm.