PDA

View Full Version : silvercore?

natebavis
03-05-2014, 01:39 PM
My nephew is going to do his core in the next month or so. He is 12, and a little intimidated. He has seen 1 deer killed lots of fish and hiked in the mountains above the Coq. Is silvercores classroom setting good for younger kids? Your thoughts? Other option is Kent archibald in cloverdale. The boy lives 5 minutes from silvercore delta. Thanks Nate

russm
03-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I did my pal and core with kent archibald, there was a bunch of kids there when I did my core, it's a pretty laid back setting with him.

Pete
03-05-2014, 02:48 PM
He should have no problem.... Just did a class of 11 14 yr olds They were awesome!!! Get the book ahead of time and study.... there is nothing on the tests that is in the supplemental sections. Pick up a copy of the regulations and get him going on them.....there are questions on regulations but that section is open book.

plumberjustin
03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Kent Archibald is top notch. Very patient and very thorough. With decades of outdoor experience and real world examples, it is a perfect setting for anyone. Over 2 dozen of my friends and myself have taken his firearms and core courses and were not disappointed.

nx2001
03-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Also did my CORE with Kent Archibald a few years back. And like other posters stated, he was awesome and there were plenty of youngster in there.

BigfishCanada
03-05-2014, 03:14 PM
talk to Kent first, if hes the instructor he will assist your boy. I think Kent is one of the best when it comes to kids. There are instructors which I wont mention that are terrible when it comes to teaching kids. I recomend Kent 100%

Danicus
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Another vote/recommendation for Kent @ Firearms Safety Training Centre in Cloverdale. My son (13yrs old) and my wife both went through him and he was great for all ages. Kent has some great trophies in his training room as well, so my son was really into the whole experience.

quaint bucket
03-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Know someone who did Kent. Had nothing but compliments about him.

Did my CORE with west coast instructions in Maple Ridge. Sponsored by Wanstalls, I think.

I challenged my PAL and RPAL at Silvercore in Delta. It was ok, I suppose? The instructor seem like a really nice guy. I can't speak for his course since I challenged it.

natebavis
03-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Kent is top notch!! My wife did courses there as well with a bunch of work mates. Nephew may go there, because his course is evenings and the boy lives in delta it may be logistically easier for him to go to silvercore. They have a course available on a sat/sun so it could work well with school as well. Mainly curious how silvercore is with kids. Thanks for the responses. I am sure he will be fine wherever he goes, just want him to have relaxed fun. Nate

fishingguy44
03-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Havent met Kent however I did mine at Silvercore in delta and they did a great job.

mike-juliet
03-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I teach the Core course for Kent, My Biased opinion is that you cannot find a more patient and truly motivated guy than Kent. He loves teaching the courses and boy does it ever show by both the scores at the end of the week and how much the students thoroughly enjoy the class. The classroom set up is great as well. I love being able to point around the room to the mounts on the wall and show off what animals I am talking about in the book. I did both my PAL and CORE courses through Kent almost 6 years ago and we have remained friends and now I am teaching for him on a part time basis. If you have any questions feel free to give either him or myself a call.

steelballs
03-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Excellent took mine there young hunters in class no problem.they do a great job. Even though I should of just challenged it.

mcmullmar
03-06-2014, 12:59 PM
My son took his training at silver core and did just fine. He was 13 at the time

domyalex
03-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Took my PAL and CORE at Silvercore and highly recommend them. As others have suggested, reading the book before the class definitely helps.

jetboat jim
03-06-2014, 05:42 PM
another vote for Kent Archibald

BCMarc
03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
I did my R/PAL and CORE with Silvercore as well and they are fantastic. Although I am not 12 years old, despite what my wife thinks most days.

Westcoast 75
03-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Just completed my core less than a month ago with Kent and Matt and they provide a really relaxed atmosphere to learn in. Your boy would be fine. Can't comment on silver core, but have heard good things as well.

natebavis
03-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to my nephews 2nd youth hunt. This time I am sure it will be on his own license not mine!!I as well have good things to say about Kent Archibald. Look forward to experiencing SilverCore this time. Nephew is signed up for April 26/27 in delta!!! Thanks for all the responses and to all the instructors for teaching the old and the young. I think my nephew is almost as excited to miss the first 2 days of school as hunting with me!!! Nate