PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Gasket/plunger for shrimp pump ?

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2014, 12:37 PM
What are you guys using for replacement rubber gasket/plungers in the Alvey shrimp pumps ? I know they have replacement kits in Aus but I cant seem to find anywhere that can ship within a reasonable time. Any local fishing stores stocking them ??
Thanks

lip_ripper00
03-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Have someone make you a piston out of nylon that will take 2 o rings

SPEYMAN
03-04-2014, 04:21 PM
A piece of thick leather with two washers smaller than the pump tube. Soak the leather in vegatable oil. Have even used a soft rubber ball between two washers.

boxhitch
03-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Have even used a soft rubber ball between two washers. Used the old three-colour balls in a few home made pumps , cheap to build.

Big Lew
03-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Used to make homemade shrimp pumps out of a 3 ft piece of thin 4-6 inch galvanized duct pipe. Would attach 2 strong side handles at the top and close the top end with a round tight-fitting piece of plywood with 2 air holes (one for each thumb) Would wiggle the pipe into the sand about 12-18 inches, close off the holes with thumbs, and pull the pipe back out which would drag shrimp into the watery hole. Would produce many more shrimp then we needed because it was a lot of fun, especially at night with your kids and a flashlight.

BlacktailStalker
03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Have someone make you a piston out of nylon that will take 2 o rings

Where could a guy find someone to do this you think ? That can get the cylinder perfectly round for the best seal

I'll try the leather thing next I guess, need one soon !

I've got a stainless Alvey pump right from Aus, its just the normal rubber ones rot after a season even when you rinse them, salt and drying out I guess.