PDA

View Full Version : How much does barrel length matter

john.b
03-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Currently, I have a BPS with 26" barrel and have a browning silver stalker auto loader in my sights. The thing is that I can get the 26" barrel for about $300 less than the 28. Is there that much of a difference between the two? Am I safe to go with the 26"?

saskbooknut
03-04-2014, 05:54 AM
Price difference is a reflection of popularity - and probably a reflection of resale value. Barrel length is a very personal choice. A 26 inch barrel in an autoloader is a longer gun overall than a 28 inch barrel in a double gun - therefor not much difference in swinging momentum, IMHO. You choose based on the particular gun fit to your body. Shotgun shooting is all about gun fit.
Longer barrels seem to be fashionable now, particularly for trap and skeet. I have always been a fan of shorter barrels, myself. A Churchill 25 was always my dream gun of my youth.

Foxton Gundogs
03-04-2014, 06:25 AM
I like a longer barrel 28-30" for waterfowl and a shorter one 26" for upland but for a $300 difference you could almost buy a second barrel if you wanted I'd say go for the 26"

labguy
03-04-2014, 08:20 AM
The length of the barrel has nothing to do with effective range, if that's what your asking.

I shoot 26 inch for waterfowl and upland and have for years because I like the way my eye sets on the shorter barrel.

Everyone has has their own preferences but it is just that....personal preference.

quaint bucket
03-04-2014, 10:48 AM
length helps with swing. the choke is the range for you.

Drillbit
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
It's been answered above.

I prefer a 26 myself.

john.b
03-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys, is the silver stalker a good gun? Right now its a little over $800, seems like a good deal but I dont want to rush out and buy a POS.

Mulehahn
03-04-2014, 02:33 PM
They are a nice gun, very mild recoil, wear well, and are easy to clean. It is that last point which can be a big deal because when shooting heavy loads the gas ports can get plugged. As for the 26 vs 28, the only difference is in the swing, being that most people stop the swing sooner on a 26" barrel. But I actually prefer a 26" barrel for my hunting. More comfortable and fit in my blind/boat better.

quaint bucket
03-04-2014, 02:39 PM
have you looked at the versamax? i own one and love it. full disclosure: haven't taken it out duck hunting but took it out deer hunting and trap shooting.

saskbooknut
03-04-2014, 03:18 PM
All the on-line reviews on the Browning Silver models are positive, with the exception of one critique; heavy trigger pull.
This model has the reputation of reliability with all loads and Browning's reputation for quality.
And yes, I think that a little over $800 is a good price.