PDA

View Full Version : Telkwa Caribou

two-feet
03-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Anyone have any recent knowledge of the state of the Telkwa herd?

gerrygoat
03-03-2014, 10:18 PM
A few years back it was around 100 animals which was a lot more than when they brought animals in in the late 1980's. Would be interested to hear how they are doing now too.

Caribou_lou
03-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Telkwa caribou might be the biggest money pit in the region. Our HCTF money at work. Herd is not doing well, and with no predator control its not a surprise to me.

Caribou_lou
03-03-2014, 11:17 PM
There is a Facebook page with lots of info. Also an App that shows where the collered caribou are so you can avoid them. There was also a 2013 summary, stating that snowmobiles posed a large threat to the herd, and caribou avoided areas where snowmobiles were active in the winter months.

They posted the App before the 2013 report. I read it, checked the App after reading the report, and it showed me the caribou were in the winter motorized zone. Now that's funny!

They are also planning on putting collers on wolves... $$$$$$

RustyBrit
03-04-2014, 08:55 PM
What is the App name? Sounds cool!

Cordillera
03-04-2014, 09:43 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Telkwa-Caribou-Recovery/458801530905180

The survey last year found 12 animals. They said there may be more but overall the numbers are way down and at risk of extirpation

Caribou_lou
03-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Hoping they make an App for the wolves after Ministry collars them... So I can avoid them of course.

ru rancher
03-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Hoping they make an App for the wolves after Ministry collars them... So I can avoid them of course.
hahaaha ya dont want to disturb there peace

Cordillera
03-05-2014, 11:30 AM
If there are collars on wolves, you have a way better chance of finding the packs if control is approved. The biology is clear you need to remove most of a pack, not individual animals, if you want to have a real impact. They found this in Alaska, the Yukon and elsewhere. If you kill the wrong single animal ( the alpha male or female) you can actually end up with more wolves the following year when the pack splits up and several pairs have litters that did not previously.

two-feet
03-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Back when the whites were just pioneering the north the mountain caribou were the most abundant ungulate species. Moose were not known around these parts. Some old timers talk of huge herds showing up in their fields even 50 years ago. But as a species the caribou seems to deal with our human caused distubances very poorly compared to other species like WT deer and black bear.
I think the only chance for the Telkwa caribou would be a prolonged wolf management program. It is probably already too late for that herd if it is down to a dozen animals.
There is a fair sized wolf pack that uses the power lines as highways out just east of Telwka, I would be surprised if the Telkwa mountains was not part of their territory. They seem to come through Quick every week or 10 days. I have also heard that there is a collaring program happening with them.
It would be nice if the prov govt could use the Telkwa mountains as a pilot project for wolf removal and caribou recovery.