PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting Questions

nelsonob1
03-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Going to take my son spring Turkey hunting but I know very little about it. We are based in Nelson BC, would like to have a 4 day camp hunt, and hoping for some advice on general areas within a few hours drive. i don't need anyones special spot, just a general place to start doing some research.

Thx for advice.

.300WSMImpact!
03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
great guide line would be, anywhere close to the USA boarder, heck I would imagine there is a average amount in Nelson

rogerb
03-02-2014, 06:05 PM
any of the power/gas line corridors around nelson/castlegar/trail have the potential for turkeys. look for lush new green grass preferably with water nearby. walk the lines or old skid trails at dusk & call every 100 yards or so. if they are in the area, they'll answer from the safety of their roost trees & you'll know where to set up the next morning. get set up early though as they usually leave their roosts shortly after first light & if they see or hear you walking in, its over... when sitting & calling, keep an eye out for bears, they like the same sort of spots & may come in to check out who's calling. good luck & hope you have fun!

hunter1947
03-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Turkeys are making a big come back in BC my advice is to head out in areas to shed hunt do the shed hunting staring the last two weeks of March on into April you will hear them doing there gobbling then when the season opens up you will know where to hunt them,,I hear many turkeys gobbling when I am out on my shed hunts early spring.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrBX6z1QzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QanXOVjvRX0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrBX6z1QzY)

Hodaka
03-03-2014, 09:40 AM
How long have you lived in the area? Have you been spotting turkeys in the spring and fall? There's quite a few around here, so try to remember the ones you've spotted and where (I've even seen them right in town - but that doesn't really count).
And yes, watch for bears!

Hodaka
03-03-2014, 09:46 AM
great guide line would be, anywhere close to the USA boarder, heck I would imagine there is a average amount in Nelson
This is great advice. Be assured that you will not be out there alone, though. People come from all over BC and Alberta to get a chance at our turkey!

Little-Blue-Dakota
03-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Hey I'm based out of chilliwack and just got my core and the first season I'm actually excited for is turkey season. I can only get out for weekend hunts but have no idea where to start looking for them, I don't know any areas to even go looking for them. I was thinking of going to MU 8-9 or 8-10. Any general places to scout/hunt for this season would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

.300WSMImpact!
03-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Hey I'm based out of chilliwack and just got my core and the first season I'm actually excited for is turkey season. I can only get out for weekend hunts but have no idea where to start looking for them, I don't know any areas to even go looking for them. I was thinking of going to MU 8-9 or 8-10. Any general places to scout/hunt for this season would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would say there is very little in 8-09, I dont think I have ever seen one, 8-10 maybe a few areas I hear but I have never laid eyes on any in that area either, I would say go further east, I live in region 8-09 and 8-10 and I go east

Little-Blue-Dakota
03-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Anywhere in particular? I don't know any of the areas or MU's

300H&H
03-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Anywhere in particular? I don't know any of the areas or MU's

8-14 try there

cooter303
03-08-2014, 10:12 AM
8-14 try thereany where in particular in 8-14?

OutWest
03-08-2014, 11:10 AM
8-14 is a good bet. Don't get too stressed about finding somewhere along the border. You'll see them in good numbers all over the place. It's been mentioned already but gas lines are a good spot to find them. They'll roost right on the edge of the gas line or just inside it. Start of the season isn't usually the most productive. A couple weeks into it the rush from other hunters is over and the birds are pretty easy to call in.

cooter303
03-08-2014, 11:27 AM
8-14 is a good bet. Don't get too stressed about finding somewhere along the border. You'll see them in good numbers all over the place. It's been mentioned already but gas lines are a good spot to find them. They'll roost right on the edge of the gas line or just inside it. Start of the season isn't usually the most productive. A couple weeks into it the rush from other hunters is over and the birds are pretty easy to call in.
thanks. will go scouting around down there before the season starts. trying to narrow the area down.

jtred
03-08-2014, 11:58 AM
If you have the time it's good to do some scouting, find some flocks, access, and if you're really lucky a roosting area/tree. To get more scouting in I call it hiking and the whole family goes. Often we're too loud to actually see anything(not always) but I'm definitely watching for sign, and not just turkeys either. Once you find turkeys in area you can access then you have to try and anticipate where they might go, water?,feeding areas?, dust baths?. It is very difficult most times to be able to stalk turkeys so most have success with calling birds in or ambushing them along their travel routes. It's also good to know how to use a couple of different calls. I found the box call and the pot/striker friction calls easiest to learn. I'm definitely not an expert every hunt I'm always learning. I've hunted turkeys for six years now and have been lucky enough on five birds. A lot of luck was essential on each one, but especially the first three. I read a lot of magazine articles and watched a lot of youtube videos. I think if possible depending on how old your son is a blind (either built with on-site materials or a pop up style) might help mask movement. As for places within a few hours you really are kind of right in the middle of the turkey belt. Either east or west will put in some very desirable hunting areas. Pick a FSR in the area you choose and basically pick your camp spot, keep in mind that as spring progresses some of the flocks will head higher.Best of all you're going to have a great time and be warned turkey hunting is kind of addictive, often after only one turkey gobble answering your call.

Blair
03-08-2014, 12:20 PM
I almost ran over a flock of turkeys on the road between Creston and Crawford Bay one time. I think it was in the spring.

nelsonob1
03-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Thx for the advice gents, this is great info. My son is very excited.

300H&H
03-11-2014, 04:31 PM
It sounds like you have never hunted these birds before.
First I would suggest going to the sporting goods store and buy the Primos Mastering the Art Turkey.
This is a great video.
Search the HBC forum for "turkey".
Any questions PM me.
It is NEVER too early to practice calling.

rogerb
03-18-2014, 09:53 AM
snow line in the West Kootenays is moving up the slopes quickly & toms are gobbling up a storm in the Trail area now. a bit early perhaps but still a decent time to do some preseason scouting/shed hunting.

ICEWOODY
02-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Wow amazing advice from all and thanks to the thread starter for putting it out here. Me and my fiancé were just talking about heading out to rock creek this spring. I have been to the prov campsite up there when I was young but lost my mind that turkey's are there. I'm a avid bear hunter as well would it be worth wile to do a combo hunt. And what caliber gun do you use on a turkey? 12g or single shot projectile.

ICEWOODY
02-09-2015, 12:50 PM
And how far away from the campsite do you have to be to hunt as it was many years ago I was up there. Is there still the meet little b&b a few km from the lake

Moe.JKU
02-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Can't wait to get out there this year. Saw around 40 last year in fall in the area we like to go for spring. Hoping they will be roughly in the same location. Only got one in the last 2 years out of our hunting crew, looking to change that this year.

ICEWOODY
02-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Can you take long .22 head shots I don't understand the hole wait call thing is it illegal to shoot them treed or at a distance with like a 17hmr head bound.

russm
02-09-2015, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure in the spring you can shoot them with a rifle but it's gotta be a bearded turkey and in the fall it can be any bird but must be a shotgun or bow.

Brez
02-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Can you take long .22 head shots I don't understand the hole wait call thing is it illegal to shoot them treed or at a distance with like a 17hmr head bound.
I'd be pretty carefull shooting a .22 or .17 at anything treed. I also would ask that if you are hunting near me, you wouldn't use a rifle as guys like me who like to get all camo'd up to get in close or may be in a blind would get pretty uncomfortable. I think the whole idea is the fun of calling, stalking, and generally getting in close.
Oh, I tried a .22 on my first one, and I know a lot of others who have used rifles in the past and we've pretty much all gone to shotguns and bows because of the loss of wounded birds with rifles. They are tough. But anyway, good luck.

OutWest
02-09-2015, 04:23 PM
I'd be pretty carefull shooting a .22 or .17 at anything treed. I also would ask that if you are hunting near me, you wouldn't use a rifle as guys like me who like to get all camo'd up to get in close or may be in a blind would get pretty uncomfortable. I think the whole idea is the fun of calling, stalking, and generally getting in close.
Oh, I tried a .22 on my first one, and I know a lot of others who have used rifles in the past and we've pretty much all gone to shotguns and bows because of the loss of wounded birds with rifles. They are tough. But anyway, good luck.

x2. Had a guy shoot a nice tom beside me on a steep ridge with a .22. Perfect centre-punch but the bird was able to glide a lonnnng ways down the valley. Hunter thought he missed but my partner and I found the bird a half hour later by chance.

Brez
02-09-2015, 06:26 PM
x2. Had a guy shoot a nice tom beside me on a steep ridge with a .22. Perfect centre-punch but the bird was able to glide a lonnnng ways down the valley. Hunter thought he missed but my partner and I found the bird a half hour later by chance.
Yeah, I have found that if you shoot one on the hillside and it manages to get airborn, it's pretty much gone. They can glide sick a long way and if you can't watch the whole flight, small chance of finding it.