PDA

View Full Version : Possession limit if buying off the docks?

Junorr500
03-02-2014, 04:15 PM
If a guy were to buy fresh salt water fish like salmon and halibut straight off the docks from the commercial guys is there a possession limit? Or do the quotas and limits set by a fishing licence still apply?

adriaticum
03-02-2014, 04:22 PM
If a guy were to buy fresh salt water fish like salmon and halibut straight off the docks from the commercial guys is there a possession limit? Or do the quotas and limits set by a fishing licence still apply?

No.

Possession limit is just when you are fishing for it.

lorneparker1
03-02-2014, 04:23 PM
No.

Possession limit is just when you are fishing for it.

How do you prove where you got the fish on your drive home?

Sofa King
03-02-2014, 04:24 PM
good question.
but non-fisherman can purchase fish to eat.
I can't see them being able to lay any charges.

Pioneerman
03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
If you do not have your fish in a bag from the market you are in the same position. Also if you had a possession limit you would also need a fishing license to have them at all, which is not the case, right? Just take note of the boat you bought it from and that is about all you can do.

Sofa King
03-02-2014, 04:31 PM
the onus would/should be on the co to prove if you caught them.

adriaticum
03-02-2014, 04:34 PM

How does the officer prove that you fished for it, instead of buying it?
They can always search your car and find out where you got it and use some common sense.
Especially if you have a receipt and someone who can corroborate your story.

The onus is on the police to prove that you caught the fish.

Wild one
03-02-2014, 04:34 PM
All you need is proof of purchase like a receipt and all will be fine no matter how many fish you buy

lorneparker1
03-02-2014, 04:41 PM
How does the officer prove that you fished for it, instead of buying it?
They can always search your car and find out where you got it and use some common sense.
Especially if you have a receipt and someone who can corroborate your story.

The onus is on the police to prove that you caught the fish.

1. the police wont be handing out any fish and wildlife fines I don't think.
2. We live in Canada, its guilty to proven innocent, not the other way around.
3. Have you ever actually bought fish off a boat? Next time you do, ask for a receipt. please video it and post it on you tube cause the face of the guy you ask will be priceless.

adriaticum
03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
3. Have you ever actually bought fish off a boat? Next time you do, ask for a receipt. please video it and post it on you tube cause the face of the guy you ask will be priceless.

You do have a point, I think we have turned the corner on the innocence bs, lol.
RCMP can enforce fisheries laws, just like the conservation or fisheries officer can.
I only ever bought fish from boats in Steveston years ago. Then I started fishing.
Now you may be right about the receipt.
Let's go with common sense then.
Oops, now I'm really in trouble.

Sofa King
03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
there's no limit on how many fish you can buy at a market, grocery store, or boat.
you weren't fishing, so therefore they can suck it about thinking you may have done anything wrong.

lorneparker1
03-02-2014, 05:01 PM
You do have a point, I think we have turned the corner on the innocence bs, lol.
RCMP can enforce fisheries laws, just like the conservation or fisheries officer can.
I only ever bought fish from boats in Steveston years ago. Then I started fishing.
Now you may be right about the receipt.
Let's go with common sense then.
Oops, now I'm really in trouble.

THe odds are common sense will prevail. I was just being the devils advocate

field marshal
03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
How do you prove where you got the fish on your drive home? I'll take your word for it! As you are quite often in trouble with various law enforcement agencies,who better to know about laws than a SCOFFLAW such as yourself???:mrgreen:---Cheers--Field Marshal.
P.S. ---I think the real reason you aren't re-locating to the Mainland is-----You aren't allowed to???

Junorr500
03-02-2014, 06:46 PM

No never have bought off the boat. No experience with costal fishing scene. Heading down to The island April long weekend. Buddy has a boat and the experience to get us some fish but don't know if he will have time to go out.

Plan b is to go on a charter but as I'm not rolling in cash the money might be better spent just buying a mess of fish and filling the coolers for the drive home.

Rhyno
03-02-2014, 06:59 PM
All you need is proof of purchase like a receipt and all will be fine no matter how many fish you buy
What he said, if it being sold legally then a receipt should be provided.

lorneparker1
03-02-2014, 07:17 PM
No never have bought off the boat. No experience with costal fishing scene. Heading down to The island April long weekend. Buddy has a boat and the experience to get us some fish but don't know if he will have time to go out.

Plan b is to go on a charter but as I'm not rolling in cash the money might be better spent just buying a mess of fish and filling the coolers for the drive home.

where yah going? If you are near me ill take you out!

Junorr500
03-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Gonna be in parksville doing the tourist thing for the weekend with the family.

huntcoop
03-02-2014, 11:01 PM
What about all the pink salmon the Indians dump in the parking lot near Canadian Tire in Campbell river, if I grab a bunch of those ya think I'd be able to get a receipt from chief Jimmy John?

6.5x55
03-03-2014, 09:12 PM
since when did DFO start enforcing the fisheries act

Keta1969
03-03-2014, 09:27 PM
As long as it's fish caught in a "legal" commercial fishery you can have as much as you want Ask for receipt and write down the vessel name and license#. Beware of buying fish from natives, it's not legal to buy food fish.

steel_ram
03-04-2014, 08:30 AM
I thought some natives just recently won the right to sell fish commercially?

I think anyone towing a geared up boat loaded with fish in excess of their limits better make sure they have receipts.

Steelwheels
03-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Photo on your Cell phone...

03-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Reciept, the only legal way. ya you will get a funny look, but that reciept does not have to be from a reciept book.

Having said that,,, Selling fish off the dock is a huge thing,,, happens everywhere.... If you drive from Victoria to Sooke,,, buy prawns or Tuna from FV Coldfish at the dock... ( worked on that boat! sold prawns from the dock too) And buy double your posession of prawns and double your posession of tuna.... Then get stopped by DFO on the way home, if you told them where you bought the fish,, they would believe you. And if not could easily check it out...

PS Part of this was a trick statement can you tell what? lol
Tho the jist is correct.

GotaGun
03-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Reciept
You need a reciept for any fish you pay for

Peter Pepper
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I didn't think that dock most sales were even legal.
No government inspection of the fish, does the commie fisherman have a licence to sell to the public, and what about taxes?
Remember, just because somebody will sell you something doesn't necessarily make it legal for you to buy it, or have it.

dryflyguy57
03-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Used to sell my halibut off the dock all the time and would always supply a reciept if asked . Do you think that it is all going for cash . It was also validated .

dryflyguy57
03-06-2014, 05:37 PM
No government inspection of the fish, does the commie fisherman have a licence to sell to the public, and what about taxes?
Remember, just because somebody will sell you something doesn't necessarily make it legal for you to buy it, or have it.
Give it a break Peter Pepper , you don't have a clue . Still sore about the allocation ?

Keta1969
03-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Should do your homework before you post. All commercial fish are hailed in or validated by dockside monitors. Many fisheries require on board observers or cameras. Fishermen selling at the dock can not process your fish. Aside from catching it yourself it's the freshest you'll get.

03-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Sounds like some ones looking for a way to get more " QUOTA " so to speak :mrgreen:

Ringo 7MM
03-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Bob Loblaw.