PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Fishing

Wrj
03-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I recently moved to Victoria for work, and I haven't given saltwater fishing a thought in 10 years. Now that I'm only a few blocks from the water, and I have access to a 18' V-Hull aluminum boat, I'm itching to get on the water. I'm curious about local salmon, hali, rock fish, and even crabs. Do I need to go far? The only thing I remember from years ago, was that the fishing/crabbing towards (and beyond) Sooke was very consistent...most of my searches came back with pretty old and dated posts! Thanks in advance for any pointers!

PS- I need to pick up some gear and the regs also, and I have zero clue where to shop....suggestions???

Island Idiots
03-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Trotac is a great place to shop.

Jim Prawn
03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
TRotac (Jutland and Gorge), Island OUtfitters (Douglas & Cloverdale), Capital Iron (Store st), Canadian Tire, Walmart. Not too sure whats going on right now fish wise (too f'n nasty out to go fishin most of these days anyhow!) But there should be some winter springs off the water front, literally right off beacon hill park or Constance Bank on a nice day. Hali's are also open now and Constance is as good a place as any to get one - check regs for size limits. Last summer spring fishing was very good just around the corner in Oak Bay. The flats, the gap, ten mile point. All good for salmon and halis. Lots of needlefish on that side so jigging works well. Lots of good crab right there all year. Right in front of James Bay anglers and along the piles on the west side there, 25-50 feet. Sooke is good as well but if you're in town I would stick around there, once you learn it you'll do just as well there and save lots on gas...
JP

Wrj
03-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the replies! Hopefully we're out of the nasty/weird weather in the next week or 2. Then its ON :)

03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
If you launch at Beecherbay at Cheenah you can prety much always fish. Whirl bay is a great winter spring spot... If it is too windy to get out front you can still fish winters in the bay it self and do pretty good.
Dad fishes about 1-3 days a week fish and weather depending. In his experiance they always go to Cheenah just because of weather.. if its windy you dont get screwed.... Alderage point... Bedfords...

3.5" Glow Green Coyote,,,,,, Get 2 or three lol,,, Dads favorite winter spoon...
Other then that .... get a bunch of Glow teasers,,, some 30lb mono tie 6 foot leaders up to a flasher ( personal fave is Purple Glow hotspot ) drop it to 150' ( or bottom ) and troll at 1.5-2.5 knots...

Winter Springs or Feeders are generally on bottom or close to it. Come summer the fish will be higher up the water colum.

Halibut,,,, VERY STEEP LEARNING CURVE!!!!!!!!!!
around here you need an anchor system,,,,, really hard to explain that..... you need someone to show you.
The tides here rip, the anchor needs to hold you stopped, but also neds to be released when you get a big one. A Scottsman holds the anchor line up.... Some people have sunk their boats dropping anchor in the tides here....
DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY, YOU CAN GET HURT DROWNED OR OTHERWISE DEAD. Tides for Halibut out of Victoria are Re tarded.....

Halibut= great understanding of tide flow rates and what will happen, Anchor system, location ( Oak bay flats, Constance bank, Albert head and race rocks ) bait and gear is easy...... Spreader bar 2 lb ball a big assed rod and some squid or meat of some fishy nature.....

Your boat will do fine