PDA

View Full Version : Backpackin Scopes

Gamebuster
02-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Hey guys,

My huntin buds and I are in dispute about this and I was just wonderin what y'all thought:

On a 7 day backpack stone hunt, would you rather pack a higher quality, higher power and heavier scope as opposed to a smaller, lower quality and lower power scope?

Scopes are Leica Televid 77 vs Bushnell Elite. The difference in dispute is about 27 oz. The difference in power is 45x vs 60x. Objective difference is 50mm vs 77mm.

I say pack it and it may mean less footwork...skim some wt elsewhere. Also a helluva lot easier on the eyes in my opinion.

Whaddya think?

mark
02-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I would pack the best optics available, no question!

brotherjack
02-17-2007, 07:55 PM
It depends - you didn't tell us how cheap the lighter glass is. If it's $199 at wal-mart, then by all means, go with the better glass!!! If your idea of "low end" says for instance Leupold on the side of it (instead of Swaovski), then I think the lighter scope would probably do pretty well.

Gamebuster
02-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah..I'm kinda slow that way sometimes...I revised the starter...Bushnell elite is not really low end but it definitely is not a Leica!

bigwhiteys
02-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Good Question... Either scope will suck if you don't know how to glass for sheep as mentioned in many threads prior...

I've glassed sheep through Zeiss, Swarovski & Bushnell spotting scopes. The Sheep all looked the same to me... Except the higher priced glass did make the sheep come across as quite a bit classier.

60x in the mountains is pretty much useless if it's warmer weather the heatwaves make it useless... You'll see sharper detail on 45x. As far as comfort the right tripod will make a helluva difference too. Personal preference really... I'll pack my spacemaster in the mountains until it breaks, I lose it or the spotting scope fairy drops off $2500 for me to upgrade.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Brambles
02-17-2007, 08:28 PM
take the leica

model88
02-17-2007, 09:05 PM
There is no comparison between the two scopes, take the Leica.

StoneChaser
02-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Here are a few spotters.... quite a difference in size (and weight) as you can see.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/Spotter002.jpg

I've spotted rams through both, aged rams through both, and killed rams while packing both, but there is no comparison.

Despite being 1/2 again as heavy the Zeiss/Manfrotto combo it is a no brainer. The B+L is a hell of a spotter for the $$$, but can't even begin to run with the Zeiss!

Carry the Leica and don't fret the weight...just don't scrimp on the tripod.

StoneChaser

Fisher-Dude
02-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Take the Leica. No question. Use the Bushnell as a paperweight, about all it's good for. :lol:

boxhitch
02-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Carry the Leica and don't fret the weight...just don't scrimp on the tripod.

Factor in the difference in weight of the stronger tripod necessary to hold the heavier scope, too.

Take the Leica. No question. Use the Bushnell as a paperweight, about all it's good for. :lol:

BS inflammatory comment, trying to stir-up sh*t, from a Quad-riding Duramax seat-hugger.

boxhitch
02-18-2007, 08:45 AM
On a 7 day backpack stone hunt, would you rather pack a higher quality, higher power and heavier scope as opposed to a smaller, lower quality and lower power scope?

Running solo - small and light. Group hunt - not everyone has to have everything. Someone has scope/tripod, someone else has tent/stove, someone else has beer.....

Fisher-Dude
02-18-2007, 09:07 AM
BS inflammatory comment, trying to stir-up sh*t, from a Quad-riding Duramax seat-hugger.

You forgot, "and proud Leica owner". When you sit on yer ass in the Duramax or on the Quad, ya gotta have good optics to see what's out there.

Now Boxhitch, which brand of optics do you guys in the Cummins camp use? You've got to look even further ahead with the noise those things make! :lol:

Elk-Aholic
02-18-2007, 09:11 AM
No question what so ever, take the Leica. Take the best Optics you can get your hands on. Do it right the first time, save your money, then save a bit more to buy the best scope. You want to see if that ram a mile away is worth going after.

Krico
02-18-2007, 09:30 AM
I've never found myself wishing I had brought the cheaper gear, on any hunt, and left the good stuff at home.

mark
02-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey FD, and boxhitch, check castanet, GM and chrysler are talking about merging together! Then you guys will have nothing to left to jab at each other. They might build a truck you both like and you guys can road hunt together! Just keep my number handy so my FORD can come to yer rescue!

Gamebuster
02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
....Group hunt - not everyone has to have everything. Someone has scope/tripod, someone else has tent/stove, someone else has beer.....

This is what the fuss is all about....we are only thinkin of bringin one scope but unless we sort this out, we'll all be packin scopes, which doesn't make sense...

bigwhiteys
02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
If you are taking one scope for the group take the best. You'll probably spend more time looking through your binos.

Deaddog
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Bring em both, two sets of eyes are better than one, for the bit of weight I wouldn't consider sitting on the side of a hill without my own spotting scope

Krico
02-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Unless you plan on hunting together as a group the entire time, I would bring the extra scope. It doesn't have to get carried the entire time. If there's 3 or more of you chances are sooner or later you will split up, even if only for a couple of hours to glass/scout. Who gets the spotter then? Of course if you have a biblical climb/hike just to reach base camp, weight becomes more of an issue, so as usual, it depends on the situation.

StoneChaser
02-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Bring em both, two sets of eyes are better than one, for the bit of weight I wouldn't consider sitting on the side of a hill without my own spotting scope

x2!

I would sooner have my nuts knawed off by a rabid wolverine than sit in prime sheep country without my spotter.

I typically glass the close stuff with the binos, and then a broadsweep of the long stuff with them as well.

Then I pull out the spotter, hunker down, and start picking apart the rocks.

Amazing what you'll find with a good spotter (and good technique).

StoneChaser

30-06
02-18-2007, 06:45 PM
we bought an alpen spotting scope this year.i think it was like 250-300$.it works Great.came with a window mount,big and little tripod

boxhitch
02-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Hey FD, and boxhitch, check castanet, GM and chrysler are talking about merging together! Then you guys will have nothing to left to jab at each other. They might build a truck you both like and you guys can road hunt together! Just keep my number handy so my FORD can come to yer rescue!
It looks like what we have here is a clear case of mistaken identity. Don't lump me in with the 'self-mobility challenged' group. My truck is usually two days behind, so sound is not an issue.

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2007, 07:02 AM
It looks like what we have here is a clear case of mistaken identity. Don't lump me in with the 'self-mobility challenged' group. My truck is usually two days behind, so sound is not an issue.

You just watch. My office window overlooks Boxhitch's turkey huntin area. I'll see that ol' Cummins puffin all over that hill in a coupla months! :lol:

tuchodi
02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I agree with StoneChaser everyone should have their spotting scope. There is nothing worse than to here look at those sheep and all you have is a pair of bino's and its your buddy's turn with the spotting scope. I have never gone on a sheep hunt without my spotter.