PDA

View Full Version : Annual Spences Bridge Sheep Count

BCHunterTV
03-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Every spring for the past 9 years volunteers from the Wild Sheep Society of BC spend a day counting bighorn sheep from Lytton to Cache Creek. This count assists Region 3 biologists track trends in sheep populations including ram:ewe ratios, the overall health of the herd and most importantly lamb survival. Volunteers can come as individuals or groups and usually glass and count sheep from the highway. They are asked to bring binoculars, spotting scopes and lawn chairs. Groups will be designated areas to observe and provided with record and classification sheets.

This is a great way to kick off the spring season as the weather is usually warm and sunny! You can expect to see anywhere from 5 - 75 sheep in a day. You'll get a chance to meet fellow sheep hunters and catch up on the latest news from around the province. Time to dust off your bino's!

Meet at the Husky at Cache Creek at 7 am for info packets, arrangement to be made for a meet in Lytton for those coming from the south. Bring your Google Earth pics , they help for identifying locations. Followed by dinner at 4 pm at the Log Barn Pub in Spences Bridge.

(250)250 542-7798
You can also contact though Facebook or the website.

srupp
03-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Highly recomend this yearly event...great group , good fun, informnative, and allows us a chance to give a little something back..also sharpens those glassing and spotting skills...Im headed down from Williams Lake..should have room for a body or two...

Cheers

SRUPP

thepitchedlink
03-02-2014, 12:11 AM
what day is it happening

Steelpulse
03-02-2014, 12:46 AM
Going to be there for suure this year

cuervosail
03-02-2014, 09:28 AM
What's the date?

boxhitch
03-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Saturday April 5th

Big Lew
03-02-2014, 10:20 AM
I have attended the last 2 years, and although I'm still a novice at properly identifying mature rams, there are some great pros there willing to help out. The weather was great both years, but it can be quite chilly with brisk breezes before the sun comes up, so bring appropriate clothing, a comfy chair, good optics, camera, big lunch, and limber up your tongue wagging for participating in the bs sessions. I'm attending again this year, so if anyone between Mission-Abbotsford and Cache Creek wishes a ride, pm me.

boxhitch
03-28-2014, 07:59 PM
For those coming from the south , there will be someone at the gate to the Skihist Provincial Park with paperwork and maps for the count , probably about 8 a.m.
This will be better than trying to arrange a meet in Lytton.

srupp
03-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Great organizing Bill..have at least 2 others with me coming down from Williams Lake...

Cheers

Srupp

Leaseman
03-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Wife and I stopped and did a quick count of 17 in one small area yesterday noonish.....:mrgreen:

How many people show? Are you spending the day in one small spot or moving around?? Do you get to choose who you get stuck with.....:wink:

bruin
04-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Bump! April 5th.