PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army Carbine Prohibited in Canada by RCMP

shelg
03-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Came across this last night. It is worth a read. Looks like the RCMP have pushed hard to prohibit Swiss Carbines. If anyone is interested, here is the link to the petition. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/the-rcmp-abuses-c-68/sign.html

Swiss Arms Confiscated
Date: Thursday, February 27, 2014
Swiss Arms Confiscated

Effective 10:00 pm eastern tonight the RCMP has reclassified the Swiss Arms Classic Green carbine from non-restricted (and restricted) to prohibited status. There are approximately 1,000 -1,800 of these firearms in the public. The government will not be offering compensation and will be demanding that the firearms, which cost between $3,000 - $4,000 be surrendered. The government is suggesting that all affected firearms owners contact the distributers from which the firearms were purchased for reimbursement.

The NFA encourages all affected owners to contact their federal Member of Parliament.
This is part of an ongoing agenda of the RCMP to progressively prohibit firearms in Canada.

Under Bill C-68, the firearms classification system was supposed to be updated regularly to prohibit firearms being introduced into the market, as well as those already in Canada.

The Government of Canada was supposed to assist in this with periodic new legislation and Order in Council (OIC).

The RCMP have been doing this unilaterally since 2006.
Access to information records show that RCMP have an aggressive firearms reclassification agenda, and that prohibitions will not stop with the Swiss Arms Series Rifles.
These rifles were approved for import by the RCMP have been sold in Canada for over a decade. Owners once held registrations for them under the now defunct long gun registry.
There has never been a crime or incident of violence committed with one of these rifles.

NFA condemns this RCMP assault on the rights and private property of law abiding Canadians. The RCMP has shown contempt for the rights of Canadians by their actions, and we expect the Government of Canada to take steps and introduce measures to reign in the RCMP and end the assault against the rights, property and freedoms of Canadians.

For more information contact:
Blair Hagen, Executive VP Communications, Blair@nfa.ca
Sheldon Clare, President, Sheldon@nfa.ca
Canada's NFA - info@nfa.ca
NFA Website: www.nfa.ca (http://www.nfa.ca)

Spy
03-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Some more !
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/ditch-the-rcmp-commish/3272438235001

blacksn95
03-01-2014, 01:05 PM
This may seem like a non issue to the hunting community, but it actually can affect us all!!. Overnight the RCMP has just announced that normal joes with certain rifles are criminals unless they turn them in... They even say that they are going to use the "non existant" old registry to track down owners to find the rifles..

Sofa King
03-01-2014, 01:16 PM
merge.
already a couple threads on this.

shelg
03-01-2014, 04:13 PM
This may seem like a non issue to the hunting community, but it actually can affect us all!!. Overnight the RCMP has just announced that normal joes with certain rifles are criminals unless they turn them in... They even say that they are going to use the "non existant" old registry to track down owners to find the rifles..

the impact could be huge. What happens when they realize a mini 14 is the same action as an AR 15. The mini 14 is restricted. What next....prohibited. Before you know it the long gun registry is back. Thin edge of the wedge.

nelsonob1
03-01-2014, 05:10 PM
the impact could be huge. What happens when they realize a mini 14 is the same action as an AR 15. The mini 14 is restricted. What next....prohibited. Before you know it the long gun registry is back. Thin edge of the wedge.

x2. This outrageous action by the RCMP to reclassify a non restricted firearm into a prohibited one is extraordinary. The backstory on the whole issue involves a couple of firearms shops in Calgary fighting with each other and the outcome was a ban on a whole family of semi's. It has also spread to a CZ semi. They are offering no compensation to the owners - just suggesting you ask for a refund at the store you bought it - like thats going to work.

shelg
03-01-2014, 05:26 PM
x2. This outrageous action by the RCMP to reclassify a non restricted firearm into a prohibited one is extraordinary. The backstory on the whole issue involves a couple of firearms shops in Calgary fighting with each other and the outcome was a ban on a whole family of semi's. It has also spread to a CZ semi. They are offering no compensation to the owners - just suggesting you ask for a refund at the store you bought it - like thats going to work.
That happened a number of years ago when semi automatic Uzis were allowed to be imported as restricted weapons. RCMP showed up on a collect buddy's door step and said we know you have the Uzi, surrender it or we will get a warrant and tear your house apart. He said what about the $800 I just paid for it. The RCMP replied, you can make application to get the sales tax back.

troutseeker
03-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Ridiculous laws passed by do-gooders. All affected should sue the Federal Government for compensation. They can't just go change something and expect you to be stuck with the bill. You want my gun that bad Brian, you pay for it. And then we tell all your constituents how much money you waste on stupid decisions...

Don't blame the rcmp, blame elected officials with a feel good agenda.

troutseeker
03-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I guess its a good thing we sold all the non-restricted ones to law abiding FAC carrying folks who did not have to register them... ;) where do they live officer? I don't know, I only was required to see their FAC, not note their address or name...

308BAR
03-01-2014, 11:45 PM
The CZ 858 2 P has also been arbitrarily converted from NON Restricted to PROHIB overnight. If they could do this to any NON Restricedt this goes for hunting and tactical looking rifles as well.

000buck
03-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Signer #6874

nelsonob1
03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Ridiculous laws passed by do-gooders. All affected should sue the Federal Government for compensation. They can't just go change something and expect you to be stuck with the bill. You want my gun that bad Brian, you pay for it. And then we tell all your constituents how much money you waste on stupid decisions...

Don't blame the rcmp, blame elected officials with a feel good agenda.

Actually the RCMP made the decision not the government. Provisions within the firearms act provides them with reclassification powers. The government , for what its worth, has said they are alarmed by the situation and looking into it. The NRA have been arguing for a while that information released under the FOIA shows that there is an agenda within the senior levels of the RCMP to reclassify a whole load of rifles and handguns to prohibited.

What is most concerning about this whole scenario is that powers exist with bureaucrats to change the law without any approval from government. I want someone accountable to me and a voting electorate to decide whether they can change a rule and make me a criminal over night. Not some nameless desk jockey.

If Trudeau gets his way, and things are shaping up that he might, this is the thin end of a very wide wedge. A reintroduction of the Long Gun Registry and a prohibition of tactical looking and high powered (sniper) rifles could be looming in our future. Don't fool yourselves that this is limited to AR rifles. You might be saying goodbye to your Lapua's if he gets his way.

brian
03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
I don't get how it is fine one day and absolutely illegal the next. In my mind if the RCMP defined the rifles as non-restricted and allowed them to be bought and sold in the Canadian market as such, then they should be financially liable for the reclassification. This is not to say I think the RCMP should be in the business of classifying firearms or affecting law. Firearm classification should be based on clearly defined set standards. Not on all this convoluted rubbish.

Actually the RCMP made the decision not the government... What is most concerning about this whole scenario is that powers exist with bureaucrats to change the law without any approval from government.

This is so very true. It is very clear the government needs to look long and hard at a system that allows the RCMP and CFO's to make the rules as they go along. Conservative supporters need to make this very clear.

03-02-2014, 01:31 PM
http://christopherdiarmani.com/10962/police/abuse-of-police-authority/rcmp-hates-firearms-firearm-owners/ ......interesting and accurate summation.