PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see that video of they guy shooting a moose with a hand gun?

davet
02-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Saw this on the internet yesterday. I dont really agree with what he did. I think the moose was just standing her ground and did not want to get off the trail.

What do you guys think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5jJz2HOnY

kilometers
02-27-2014, 09:50 AM
I do think he was a little quick to pull the gun. Supposedly his kid was with him.
He should of at least put it out of its misery.

SingleShot
02-27-2014, 09:51 AM
That moose didn't have to be shot. The rider forced the situation into what it became.

rocksteady
02-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Deep snow, sled trail, only room enough for one... Moose felt very uncomfortable... Not sure if shooting it was necessary..... Sledders did drive up way too close (moose's comfort zone) to start with. Maybe staying back and allowing the moose teh exit back the way it came, may have had a different outcome.

BromBones
02-27-2014, 10:00 AM
The guy could have shown a little more patience from the start and maybe avoided what happened. When he first turns it away instead of waiting, he starts to drive after it right away. Open timber there as well, he could have picked his way around I think. I think he was also a little pissed that it came at him and stomped his machine, cant blame him though.

Also it's still kicking as he drives away. At least have the decency to plug it once more and finish it off.

Darksith
02-27-2014, 10:03 AM
yeah, I am really torn there...irresponsible actions of the riders caused that situation, and then just driving past it without putting it out down...wonder if he called the CO. Where do ya think that was?

After watching it again...I am not impressed at all. He should be charged with something

steel_ram
02-27-2014, 10:04 AM
A little patience would have prevented the incident. Shut the motors off and wait a few minutes instead of pressing the moose.

pin_head
02-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Looks to me like a bit of a dipsh!t. Seems to me like he was a little quick to "jump the gun" and just wanted a cool story for his buddies.

No respect for the animal that I can see, C U Next Tuesday

Brad

wicket
02-27-2014, 10:24 AM
most likely took place in alaska so he could use the DLP to justify him being a dumbass.

plumberjustin
02-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Definitely the wrong way to deal with that situation. The moose would have likely wandered off if not taunted and approached so quickly. No firearm was necessary, as there was adequate room to just sled by quickly and avoid the whole mess. Once shot, he should have finished it off.

bighornbob
02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Looks to me like a bit of a dipsh!t. Seems to me like he was a little quick to "jump the gun" and just wanted a cool story for his buddies.

No respect for the animal that I can see, C U Next Tuesday

Brad

Cant agree with the "jumping the gun" comment. He got bluff charged, then charged again and stomped till he pull his gun out. When she turned around the third time he opened up. Too me that is perfectly fine. Can you imagine a guy with a baseball bat walking toward a cop? He would have been shot on the first approach.

Cant agree on the guy approaching the moose to begin with but that's just me. Might be the same type of guy that puts a camp in the middle of the road because he wants to hunt 10 clearcuts behinds it. I assume the video is from Alaska and they believe they have a god given right to just about anything.

Also the video stops once he gets to the opening with the other person. For all we know he may have just wanted to get the other person out of the danger zone and spun around right away and went back and dispatched the animal. Animal was Probably dispatched a lot faster then it takes most guys to walk the 200 yards through a clearcut to a moose they shot with a rifle that needs a second shot.

Once again I don't agree with why he got into the situation in the first place.

BHB

Wild one
02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
That moose didn't have to be shot. The rider forced the situation into what it became.

X2

He should not have pushed closer when the moose showed body language that it was not happy. I would safely say if he would waited for the moose to move off when he first came across it he would not have had a problem to start with.

I can see freaking out after the moose stomped the sled but this is one of those times I would say the guy created the problem.

In my mind I probably would not have shot the moose when it was backing off but with adrenaline kicking in I may have reacted differently after the moose stomping the sled.

To me this should have been a nice encounter of seeing a moose well out sledding that an idiot turned into a problem.

MB_Boy
02-27-2014, 10:42 AM
I just think he should have stayed where he was rather than being in a rush to push the BULL off the trail. (ya....throw a moose dork card but look at the bell, it's a bull :wink:...it comes part and parcel from being the son of a moose dork. )

Considering the video plays out in about 2 minutes....and in that short time he did advance on the moose in an area where it wasn't likely just going to jump into massively deep snow. I think the moose's life is worth more than 2 minutes to be pushed/antagonized by a snowmobile in a confined area. Sit back and watch him for 5 minutes....he may just turn around, head back down the trail and out on to the lake. Sure....if he kept coming up and attacked without being antagonized then by all means defend yourself. I just thought the whole situation played out WAY, WAY too quickly.

Let's just hope he did walk back up the trail and finish the moose off.

CBH
02-27-2014, 10:48 AM
There was no reason for him to drive closer to the moose not only once but twice. By driving closer, the moose probably felt threatened. If he had stayed where he was at the beggining of the video and continued to yell, there may have been a different outcome. Absolutely sickening display!!

Does anyone know where this was filmed? Why does he have a handgun? It would be interesting to know what a CO would think of this video! I also wonder how often things of this nature happen in our woods!

sobirch
02-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Was he trying to bark like a coyote or dog? If he was that wasn't to bright.
Ears back expect attack.

knockturnal
02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
I had this posted to my facebook. And according to the post, its in Wyoming

treehugger
02-27-2014, 10:58 AM
What a complete and total jackass. Makes me angry

rbest
02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
He could have easily avoided the situation. He shouldn't have creped up on it, when he first saw it, he could have gotten off his sled and walked slowly backwards out of there, and returned once she wandered off. The most disturbing part is he left it suffering......

pnbrock
02-27-2014, 11:26 AM
When does harassing wildlife come into play. He brought the situation on himself what a a$&$ol!!

finngun
02-27-2014, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=kilometers;1468705]I do think he was a little quick to pull the gun. Supposedly his kid was with him.
He should of at least put it out of its misery.
who:confused:--the kid:mrgreen:...blaah

Darksith
02-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Cant agree with the "jumping the gun" comment. He got bluff charged, then charged again and stomped till he pull his gun out. When she turned around the third time he opened up. Too me that is perfectly fine. Can you imagine a guy with a baseball bat walking toward a cop? He would have been shot on the first approach.

Cant agree on the guy approaching the moose to begin with but that's just me. Might be the same type of guy that puts a camp in the middle of the road because he wants to hunt 10 clearcuts behinds it. I assume the video is from Alaska and they believe they have a god given right to just about anything.

Also the video stops once he gets to the opening with the other person. For all we know he may have just wanted to get the other person out of the danger zone and spun around right away and went back and dispatched the animal. Animal was Probably dispatched a lot faster then it takes most guys to walk the 200 yards through a clearcut to a moose they shot with a rifle that needs a second shot.

Once again I don't agree with why he got into the situation in the first place.

BHB
you talk like the moose is a human and recognized the gun as a threat...he got bluff charged, but when the moose turned around he followed it rather than just giving it some time.

finngun
02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
what about warning shot or two first:confused:

srupp
02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
hmm disgusting.....was it a Glock??..

steven

steveo
02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Great, now the guy is teaching his kid how to treat wildlife. I hope the hunting community doesn't get dragged into this one some how. Pretty sad he did not finish the moose off, we as hunters all make that level of commitment long before we ever pull the trigger.

Looking_4_Jerky
02-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Hmm. That's a very tough one. I don't take killing an innocent moose for reasons other than sustinence hunting very lightly. I agree that it may have been avoidable, but that's easy for a community of hunters to say. For the most part, we (as hunters and outdoorsmen/women) would understand what a moose might be capable of, recognize signals that the moose is getting pissed and might attack, and we might have a better idea of how to avoid that situation (not provoke the moose by moving toward it). As hunters, we know these things through some combination of experience and awareness. Your average Joe, however, may not have a clue. Just because you snowmobile doesn't necessarily mean that you always run into moose on the trail. Fair enough that the snowmobiler may not have played his cards right to begin with, but by the time the gun came out, the guy's on round three of the moose charges, and he's already quite lucky that round two went as well as it did. Clearly, there is nothing to say that the 3rd charge would have been a bluff. At the point he started shooting, it's hard to blame the guy for starting to shoot. If it's true he had his kid along, maybe that's all the more reason to act a bit hastily. I know that's not the best situation for a kid to witness, but is letting yourself get trampled a better example for your kid?

Unfortunately, this guy and his kid are learning about moose behaviour (that most of us hunters probably have a bit better understanding of) in less than ideal circumstances. Sad story for the moose.

Fella
02-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Looked like the moose was starting to wander off when the dude charged it on his snowmobile which seems to have made the moose feel threatened. Bad kill if you ask me.

rcar
02-27-2014, 03:06 PM
I think the first mistake was driving towards the moose once it was spotted instead of giving it more room. Not sure if the outcome would have been the same but they really forced the situation by getting closer when they didn't need to. After it attacked there was no choice. Too bad though. Lousy outcome for everyone.

cassiarkid
02-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Guy is an jackarse, what's he doing carrying a pistol snowmobiling? Too bad the moose didn't get hime the first time she charged, there would have been one less trigger happy idiot in the world.

WestCoastHunter
02-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Personally I think that was an unnecessary use of excessive force. That situation could have been handled in a number of different ways that would have resulted in both the man and moose carrying on peacefully...

curt
02-27-2014, 05:24 PM
THAT GUY IS A DICK he totally forced the hand he should have backed off or gave it time to move on if you notice he was still inching forward teaching his kid a real classy lesson too.

steveo
02-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Even if you are not a hunter or well schooled in the outdoors I would think any sane person would want to finish an animal off and not see it suffer. If you are going to go through the conscious act of packing a firearm with you on a sled run you would have some sort of reason or need for it. Would the guy have handled the situation differently if he knew he didn't have a gun, hmmmm. I think the biggest mistake was posting video.

Spy
02-27-2014, 05:59 PM
The guy is a total moron he put himself and his "kid" in harms way!He should be charged with harrasing wildlife & be banned from using a snow mobile for life.

BEAVERBRUCE
02-27-2014, 06:00 PM
jack ass .if he could ride a sled no reason why he couldn't go around. typical ass hole yank.

Fella
02-27-2014, 06:05 PM
jack ass .if he could ride a sled no reason why he couldn't go around. typical ass hole yank.

Plenty of morons up here in Canada too. Just cuz you enjoy being outdoors doesn't mean you automatically respect the outdoors, all you have to do is go up Chilliwack Lake road on a long weekend to see what I mean.

ru rancher
02-27-2014, 06:06 PM
couple of uneducated guys out in the bush is all thats when things happen like that

markomoose
02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Not impressed !Been in a similar situation.Gotta stay back ,be patient.The moose would'nt be comfortable & 98% of the time will move on.Poorly handled situation!!

tadpole
02-27-2014, 08:29 PM
American way of doing things. Shoot first and ask the questions later. Nothing to do with hunting.

davet
02-27-2014, 09:36 PM
American way of doing things. Shoot first and ask the questions later. Nothing to do with hunting.
couldnt have said it better myself

Jim Prawn
02-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Brutal.
JP.