no go..

Asshats

srupp

rocksteady
02-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Link? Please

BradB
02-26-2014, 07:29 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/1175296/federal-government-rejects-new-prosperity-mine-project-west-of-williams-lake/

rocksteady
02-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Too bad for the local economy, but I realize there were environmental concerns...

Sitkaspruce
02-26-2014, 08:04 PM
They have to show the greenies that they do care about the environment and that they hope it will take away some of the pressure of Pipelines........

Cheers

SS

srupp
02-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Really is much safer than Gibralter mine which Is much closer to the Fraser rivet...one of the safest locations in the Cariboo...seriously made no sense not to approve it...I know guys working in the Yukon now with homes in WL...bad deal for everyone...
Not just for this mine..but for everyone who now realizes buissness is not welcome here...and DIA cheques wont come close to high paying jobs...forthose that want to work....

Bad times ahead locally

Steven

adriaticum
02-27-2014, 12:25 AM
Seems like everyone in Williams Lake was for the mine and there is much disappointment.

604redneck
02-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Are all the other mines producing low yearly percentages now?

Big G Hunter
02-27-2014, 06:55 AM
Between Tree Huggers and FN not a lot of big business will get done in Williams Lake. Mills are going tits up in the forseeable future with pine beetle problems so Prosperity was looking like a good alternative. Really to bad. Do they try again?

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Too bad Taseko couldn't produce a plan that was acceptable to enviro review. I'm all for the mine if they can do it right, but it's Taseko's failure to bring forth a proper plan, not the government's failure to approve it.

SingleShot
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
As FD said, it's unfortunate Taseko didn't present a plan that was acceptable in the first place. I think that the major stumbling block was that the first presentation was denied. Some say the first plan was misinterpreted by the examiners and they were foiled from then on.

I've seen mines in the operating and shut down phases since the mid eighties and have seen the good and bad sides. One in the Yukon had a large pit where caustic materials of all sorts were simply bulldozed in and left to eventually find their way into the watershed systems. I've seen the reclaim process at Brenda Mines in the Okanagan and to my untrained eye it seems to be carried out well.

You would think that in this day and age the mine operators would be held to extremely high standards and that the project could have been carried out in a reasonably safe environmental manner.

I guess things do not look good for the Williams Lake and Chilcotin regions in terms of gainful employment for the foreseeable future.

It will be interesting to see how real estate reacts to this news. I wonder how many properties were bought on speculation that the mine would go ahead and there would be demand for housing?

Ed George
02-27-2014, 09:01 AM
IMOP we have a p***ing match here with you don't like my pipeline I don't like your mine.

two-feet
02-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Taseko really dropped the ball on how they brought this forward. And for the local FN to be so strongly opposed to a project that could have employed many of their members seems sad. I wonder if they voted on this or the chiefs just rammed it through?
The govt would have loved to approve this mine I am sure if the enviromental concerns had been met.
It is good that Mt Milligan and Red Chris are going ahead.

chilcotin hillbilly
02-27-2014, 10:41 AM
The indians turned down the full education and employment offer from the mine, in turn prefered a percentage of profits. When this was turned down by the mine there became a huge enviromental problem drummed up by the FN's, all to put pressure on the mine for more money. A bunch of bums organizing the pow wows. Heck half the trouble makers are white, infact some are not even Canadian.
Sad story for the Chilcotin area.

Wild one
02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
The indians turned down the full education and employment offer from the mine, in turn prefered a percentage of profits. When this was turned down by the mine there became a huge enviromental problem drummed up by the FN's, all to put pressure on the mine for more money. A bunch of bums organizing the pow wows. Heck half the trouble makers are white, infact some are not even Canadian.

If this is right it sounds like the mine was not willing to be extorted and got screwed in the end. If this is the case even though it cost this project from being approved it was the right thing to do. If more companies stood their ground like this over time it might show this kind of extortion will not be effective or tolerated. We all know this crap goes on and is an issue that really needs to stop

Mining is always going to have an impact and with how are world works it will always happen as long as the materials are needed.

If this was truly lost over protest and the mine was organized with a plan to minimize impact this was a raw deal for those who would have benefited from the jobs it created.

panhead
02-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Naw ... it ain't over till it's over. Off to the courts now ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The world is divided into three kinds of people: A very small group that makes things happen; a somewhat larger group that watches things happen; and a great multitude that never knows what has happened.” — Nicholas Murray Butler

srupp
02-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Hhmmmmm it was always and only about the money...the fn wanted too much...and wouldnt let up...they kept saying no..waiting for the entire golden goose...jobs, andgreat wages were not enough....they had that ace in the hole...the fiduciary rsponsibility of the feds spelled TA X P A YE R..to pay them weather they work or not

The Cariboo Chilcotin has been the hardest hit region of this province by a w I d e margin....and thes was a significNt fxck up...by not getting something going....this was a great long term Safe high paying boost to the region...

Home prices havnt moved in 10 years..on my home downtown Williams Lake....

Disgusted

Steven

Charts
02-27-2014, 12:22 PM
why would FN agree to this project? Pretty hard to stay home, poach game, and collect a pay cheque doing it when the Gov will say there are tons of work for you at the mine. They strike it down to continue to be lazy and get paid to do it. Disgusting. I was waiting to hear about this as I would move up there in a sec if it was a go. Not enough work up there for me to go now though its still a dream

srupp
02-27-2014, 12:31 PM
ya..that was the problem they were offering high paid long term JOBS ..work...with no mine still high paid sit on the couch DIA cheques...

what a crock..

steven

.330 Dakota
02-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Glad you expressed what was "really" going on. The tree huggers and FN are quick to slant the media. Problem is we listen to the propaganda too much,,,here they call it news,,any people that lived through the war call it propaganda

.330 Dakota
02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
ya..that was the problem they were offering high paid long term JOBS ..work...with no mine still high paid sit on the couch DIA cheques...

what a crock..

steven

I hope Harpo gets pissed and cuts them off,,highly unlikely I know but a man can dream,,,his new "own your own house on the reserve" bill is designed to dismantle reserves over the long term,,good news,,there shouldnt be any reserves. Treat them like anybody else and they will regain their pride by earning what they get,,,LIKE US

.330 Dakota
02-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Too bad Taseko couldn't produce a plan that was acceptable to enviro review. I'm all for the mine if they can do it right, but it's Taseko's failure to bring forth a proper plan, not the government's failure to approve it.

Impossible when the review panel doesnt want to approve it, they made up their minds before it was presented

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Impossible when the review panel doesnt want to approve it, they made up their minds before it was presented

How do you know what they were thinking? You and I aren't schooled in environmental assessments, so I can't see how we could determine if the plan was good or not.

srupp
02-27-2014, 02:32 PM
hmmm environmental assesments was the excuse..not the reason..no one with ba##s big enough to stand up and let it through for economical reasons..no one wanted to stand up to the constant whining and yelling GIVE US MORE..more more oink oink...pay us to stay home...longer..never ever seen a fn in that area in 30 years..not one..ever..

The environmental assessment was only because we caved in to outrageous fn demands...wasn't on the allowable excuses....

Those that live here recognize the environmental issues and they sure the $##&& arnt @ Fish lake..

steven

Hmmm Polly Lake mine is operational and right beside..Polly Lake..only difference no fn east of the 50...

Xenomorph
02-27-2014, 03:11 PM
I'll probably get flak for this but in any minority situation the only "positive discrimination" that should be allowed and nurtured is FREE EDUCATION. If you choose to live on the fringes of 21st century while still being financially dependent on the taxpayer of the political system you "hate" so much ...then to me it doesn't make sense. You either follow up tradition and seclude yourself into an ageless time, or join the bandwagon and make a living like everyone else.

I was born and raised into a place where traditional minorities (gypsy mainly) have always screamed bloody murder whenever government tried to educate them; instead they traffic people to Western Europe, steal and rob anything they can... hat's off to those few that follow education and choose to have a decent life, the rest, I'm pretty sure you know how I'm feeling.

Education for free should be the only concession. You get a cheque from government you should pay taxes just like everyone else.

khoffnbud
02-27-2014, 09:32 PM
I've been working at S**p L**e mine in NWT for years, overrun by FN. One thing that never changes is their sense of entitlement, it's disgusting.

Patman7
02-27-2014, 11:37 PM
This is a really sad time for our country again. Did you notice the last name of the judge that ruled this last judgement on this mine? I have first hand knowledge of circumstances that have happened here concerning native participation on condeming this project. If the Chief was really adamant about his people & could see what poison they are really going through without hope or direction, he would direct them to this New Life Of Meaning that they could hold! Those native people there are run to the ground with shoddy direction from a greedy, look after myself dictator! The older generation are great people, but the young have false, misleading, I Know Better Attitude mentalities that are polluting them! B.C. needs the mines, mills, pipelines etec here to keep our economies & lifestyles intact! It has to be done proper, but it has to be done!
Pat

Hunt-4-Life
02-28-2014, 12:22 AM
And here go local house prices.... Anyone else feel that shaky sickening feeling of the floor about to fall out?

panhead
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM
There's one kind of job they like ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pass the government cheese please

Cordillera
02-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Environmental processes are pretty rare to say no and only where there are valid issues. Mines are mostly good, leave clean water, but really they can be a total disaster and the untrained eye will not tell the difference. I really doubt a conservative government wanted to say no, but when a panel says there are impacts on water, fish and wildlife, they have to pay attention.

two-feet
02-28-2014, 02:45 PM
There has been some terrible messes left by the mining industry over the years, no one wants more of those. The technology and knowledge is there to do these projects well if the proper planning is in place. Hopefully this mine will go ahead and in an intelligent way.

Big Lew
02-28-2014, 02:53 PM
I admit that I'm not privy to the detailed environmental issues and information the Conservative Government supposedly used to determine their decision, but as several, including "srupp," are upset about, the aboriginal attitude very likely played a major part of it.... and that is also tied into their pipeline and LNG goals. It's very similar to the same Government's determination to close down the Kitsilano Coast Guard Station. They used a phoney and ridiculous excuse to cover up their already negotiated land swap with the aboriginals in that situation as well. Although I don't normally make blatantly negative remarks against specific groups, in this case I have to agree that many of the aboriginals (I refuse to call them First Nations anymore) would rather sit on their butts collecting royalties and Government checks then improve their education and actually work for a living.

Sofa King
03-01-2014, 02:41 AM
they probably worked this deal into a bigger one with the indian bands.
the gov turns this down for the bands easing up on their pipeline opposition.
there's so many back-room deals being made it ain't even funny.

SingleShot
03-01-2014, 06:29 AM
"The Faro mine is one of Canada’s largest and most costly environmental liabilities facing Canadian taxpayers.

It’s estimated there will be ongoing monitoring and care and maintenance requirements for at least the next 500 years. SAD would be an understatement."

It was Faro where I witnessed hundreds of 45 gallon drums bulldozed into a hole along with all sorts of other garbage.

Big Lew
03-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Not all open pit mines are environmental disasters like the Faro situation. The huge Island Open Pit Copper Mine, 3rd largest in Canada, is an example. It is now closed and flooded with layers of non-mingling levels of water which is part of their reclamation success. That mine passed all of the guideline criteria and is an example that using modern science can achieve satisfactory environmental goals.

Charts
03-01-2014, 09:48 AM
the 60's and 2020 (by the time the mine is in full operation) is a huge difference so how can you compare? We have the technology and the stupid left wing groups to make sure the environmental impact isn't great. The computer was just in the beginning stages of being build in the 60's and was the size of a room. I write this comment from my cell phone so ya technology has changed. I agree some major back door deals being done with FN. Shame for Bill's Puddle residences and for those who could still work near home rather than the oil fields.

cruiser
03-01-2014, 10:10 AM
the 60's and 2020 (by the time the mine is in full operation) is a huge difference so how can you compare? We have the technology ....

True. There is the technology and science to mitigate. But it was up to taseko to present that plan and to commit to the cost. Clean up ain't cheap. Avoiding the impacts isn't either. Like any business/develpoment they choose to do the minimum that they felt would be acceptable based on similar projects, seems they didn't set the bar high enough. Reality is that this would be one fricken big egg cracked to make an omlette, harm is expected. No doubt there are positives and there are risks with this type of project.

abbyfireguy
03-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Let's not forget the the local FN band is in the middle of land claims in that area.. They are asserting claim over approximately 42,500 square miles. I imagine that has some bearing in their minds too.
Also, don't forget, Taseko hired one if the worlds top engineering firms to design the dam for the site with appropriate criteria... That plan was altered dramatically by government folks before it went to the panel...What's with that bull***t? This decision is almost purely politics and not about environmental concerns. Let's get real folks,, most of us weren't born yesterday !!

boxhitch
03-01-2014, 10:26 AM
However, the Tsilhqot’in Nation were always opposed to the project.They were concerned about a place called Fish Lake, which is small but is considered sacred to the Tsilhqot’in Nation. The federal government has now ruled the environmental impact on that lake would be prohibitive.
I thought Fish Lake was taken out of the process with the new plan in the second application ? No ?

Big Lew
03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
You know, when you're traveling through the many counties within the States you'll frequently notice signs stating someone of historical mention either lived there, slept there, ate there, or possibly paused there to shake hands with the locals. Some actually are of significant historical importance, but most are much less so.
To me, there seems to be a bit of parallel similarity in BC. Just about every nook and cranny or landscape considered for development is a 'sacred' place. Some are indeed places of historical meaning or spiritual importance and should be protected, but some are said to also be sacred solely because there is evidence that aboriginals had been there.
I guess if 'the shoe was on the other foot' and I was trying to claim as much territory as I could get away with, I also would insist every place one of my ancestors walked was sacred as well.

keithb7
03-01-2014, 08:16 PM
The mine will go through. Maybe not now, but eventually one day it will. The world only has so much copper, gold, moly, ect. As resources are used, prices will climb. The world population is not shrinking. Consumer electronics are not a fad. There will be constant development to drive sales up needing ore and minerals. I guarantee you the mine will go through some day. Hopefully when that day arrives our FN issues will be a little better. At this point I am prepared to say that I believe our FN issues are spiraling out of control. The entire reservation systems dependence on social funds is not sustainable. It's a rotten deal for everyone involved. Have patience folks, and hope, that some day someone will sort out these issues.

REMINGTON JIM
03-01-2014, 08:33 PM
FN's are the sole cause of the mine not going forth ! :cry: very sad for the people that NEED the paychecks that the mine would produce them - Those people don't get the FREE FED GOVERMENT TAX PAYER hand outs every month ! :cry: JMO RJ

Ruffed
10-16-2014, 07:09 AM
I hope Taseko would win that lawsuit if it indeed becomes a lawsuit. Maybe governments would think twice about shooting down the mines. People have families and mortgages and need to have good paying jobs. What would society look like in Canada if there were no good paying jobs......anarchy.

mpotzold
12-26-2016, 10:05 PM
"The Faro mine is one of Canada’s largest and most costly environmental liabilities facing Canadian taxpayers.

It’s estimated there will be ongoing monitoring and care and maintenance requirements for at least the next 500 years. SAD would be an understatement."

It was Faro where I witnessed hundreds of 45 gallon drums bulldozed into a hole along with all sorts of other garbage.

Update Dec. 25, 2016.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/over-350-million-spent-to-clean-up-abandoned-mine-in-yukon-and-not-an-inch-has-been-remediated

Surrey Boy
12-26-2016, 11:57 PM
What would society look like in Canada if there were no good paying jobs......anarchy.

Communism more likely.

dracb
12-27-2016, 01:43 AM
Who says it will eventually go ahead? Have you heard of Windy Craggy in the last say twenty years? Great deposit and even bigger mineralized area turned into a park just to be sure it was dead.

.308SLAYER
12-27-2016, 08:43 AM

And you didn't report that why?? Oh yah you were making good money...

Stresd
12-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Who says it will eventually go ahead? Have you heard of Windy Craggy in the last say twenty years? Great deposit and even bigger mineralized area turned into a park just to be sure it was dead.

Had forgot about Windy Craggy, so looked it up. Largest discovered Copper deposit in the world. Good article as needed to be reminded of Mikey Harcourt the Ndp did to our resource industries.

https://www.biv.com/article/2014/12/bc-mining-sectors-lost-decade/

Linksman313
12-28-2016, 02:56 PM
What have the protective initiatives for Fish Lake brought up by the FN to prevent the Prosperity from going through achieved. Anyone been out there lately, last time I was up there (2006) it looked like Sanford and sons backyard with all the burnt up trucks and garbage spewed all over.

wideopenthrottle
12-28-2016, 03:40 PM
What have the protective initiatives for Fish Lake brought up by the FN to prevent the Prosperity from going through achieved. Anyone been out there lately, last time I was up there (2006) it looked like Sanford and sons backyard with all the burnt up trucks and garbage spewed all over.

its all cleaned up now....they dumped it in fish lake

mpotzold
08-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Prosperity Mine(now called New Prosperity) latest.:D

B.C. Ministry of Mines and Energy issued on July 14 a work permit authorizing Taseko Mines to conduct exploration work at the site of the proposed Prosperity Mine. TNG was notified on July 17, the day before the NDP was sworn in.

…….“On July 14, Taseko was issued permits by a B.C. mines inspector authorizing a three-year work plan, which the company contends was to gather information related to its proposal for the New Prosperity project, about 125 kilometres southwest of Williams Lake.
The proposed work involved drilling 122 exploration holes, digging 357 test pits, the construction of 48 kilometres of new access trails, modifying 28 kilometres of existing trails, and establishing a 50-person work camp.”

Legal disputes
On July 31 the TNG filed a legal challenge to the permit.
On Aug. 10-the Feds also filed an application in B.C. Supreme Court for an injunction to formally block the work permit arguing the drilling program would violate the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/indigenous-leaders-decry-taseko-mines-work-permit/article35728025/

Yesterday Aug. 16 –
“Taseko Mines has suspended plans for exploration work around its proposed New Prosperity copper-gold mine in the Cariboo Chilcotin in the face of legal disputes”
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/taseko-mines-halts-exploration-work-at-new-prosperity-1.21912967

This is a victory for TNG :D& let’s hope Taseko fully abandons the New Prosperity Mine.
http://www.tsilhqotin.ca/PDFs/Press%20Releases/2017%2008%2014%20TNG%20Media%20Release%20-%20Federal%20Injunction%20Application.pdf