PDA

View Full Version : Eberlestock Gunrunner Backpack

glen8221
02-26-2014, 10:29 AM
I've been looking for a decent day pack which isn't too heavy and can carry your equipment, calls, lunch, etc. I like the idea of hands free, being able to carry your rifle in the pack. Anyone tried one of these? Wondering if it works well with a scoped rifle. I shoot a Remington 700 in 300 win mag with a Weatherby 3x 9.

NorBC
02-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Maybe look into the dragonfly a bit. I just bought one and have only used it as a day pack so far. and it doubles as a heavy hauler. Every person I have talked to with one loves em.

Grumpa Joe
02-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Haven't tried the Gunrunner but I do have the J34 Just One. Similar appearance to the Gunrunner with the gun scabbard. It's a great pack with multiple pockets and plenty of storage but a little big for a day pack IMO although I do use it as such sometime.

http://www.eberlestock.com/J34%20Just%20One.htm

For my usual day pack I use a Tenzing TZ1250. It is a lot smaller but still has exterior compression straps like the Eberlestock and has tons of pockets for GPS, flashlight, knives,, lunch, spare clothes, camera, fire starter..... Also able to carry a gun or bow in a sling on the back of the pack that stores when not used.

http://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/tz_1250.php

Good padded, adjustable shoulder and waist straps on both which is critical if you're going to be lugging it around all day.

Good luck

Westcoast 75
02-26-2014, 01:19 PM
I just went through the same thing trying to decide on a pack. I was all over the map between the x1,gunrunner,j-34, x2, and the team elk. I ended up buying the team elk.
i liked that it had side pockets on the belt, the gun scabbard, and the external frame to strap some meat to it in a pinch.

Fullcurled4point
02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Maybe look into the dragonfly a bit. I just bought one and have only used it as a day pack so far. and it doubles as a heavy hauler. Every person I have talked to with one loves em.
Couldn't agree more, the J1 sucks when you load it with meat or heads...

glen8221
02-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Thank you guys. Appreciate the info. Always good to hear from guys that have been there and done that.

Kudu
02-26-2014, 04:23 PM
I've been looking for a decent day pack which isn't too heavy and can carry your equipment, calls, lunch, etc. I like the idea of hands free, being able to carry your rifle in the pack. Anyone tried one of these? Wondering if it works well with a scoped rifle. I shoot a Remington 700 in 300 win mag with a Weatherby 3x 9.

Awesome piece of kit - scoped rifle works well - I have the Euro version

Fred1
02-26-2014, 04:56 PM
All great packs! I have used an MR NICE with load sling for 5 years now - just added the Longbow to it. Personally I will never go back to "just a day pack". Having the ability to carry some weight/load is well worth it!

Ry151
02-26-2014, 09:52 PM
I use my dragon fly for day or long trips. Love it. My scoped rifle fits good but I have a target dial On my vx3, it fits perfect but you can't pull it out fast because sometimes it hangs up a bit. Other than that standard scopes fit great and slide out really easy. actually I only use the scabbard when I'm hiking steep or long distances

bighornbob
02-26-2014, 11:55 PM
I have the J107 and use it for longer trips and love it. I found it to big just for a short hike from the truck so was looking for a daypack that can carry a gun. I looked at the gunrunner and although it can carry a gun well, it was just too small. I then decided on the X1 and it seemed perfect for what I was looking for. Started researching more and the X1e was a tad bigger so that was the pack I was going to get. Then I saw a member on this site selling his eberlestock team elk pack. Did some research on it and it seemed perfect for a daypack but at retail price was more then I was willing to pay. But the member was selling it for what the X1e would be so I jumped all over it.

Very happy with it so far, perfect size for a daypack that can carry a gun, some gear and extra cloths and spotter if need be. Metal frame could also be used to pack out a couple of hind quarters. But the way I kill stuff I am not really worried about it packing meat out:):)

BHB