PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope: Best for backpacking?

hunter fisher
02-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Ready to pull the trigger on a new spotting scope, my research has led to me to the vortex razor hd to best suit my needs. but i cant decide between an 11-33x50 or the next size up 16-48x65

i want something i can hike with for a couple days and not notice the weight too much, but that will also let me get a good clear glass from a good distance.

any input?

bryan

Elkaddict
02-25-2014, 07:17 PM
I think you will find the 65mm objective much better for glassing in low light conditions than the 50. That would be my pick between the two.

warnniklz
02-25-2014, 07:30 PM
I used the 16-48x65mm vortex razor this season. Did it's job quite well. Had some fogging issues. The fog came from cold wet weather and high body heat... no anti fog will stop that.

There's some spotting scope pictures here
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?97165-Goat-hunting-2013-2014

rageous
02-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Find a used bushnell elite 15-45x60 best bang for you buck I've found.

Weatherby Fan
02-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Do yourself a favour and get at least a 65mm objective as I had a Leupold Gold Ring scope with a 50mm objective and was none to impressed.
WF

Johnny G1
02-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Bausch & Lomb Discoverer 15-60x 60 not a light spotting scope but reasonable price for what I need. Just my thoughts.

BiG Boar
02-25-2014, 08:45 PM
It depends if you want low performance that you will send back for the best warranty in the bussiness in a 50mm or 65mm. The 50mm will be easier to hand over the counter. So that would be my pick.

dana
02-25-2014, 08:51 PM
If you are considering backpack hunting then weight and bulk need to be in the discussion. How and when and what you are hunting will determine how light or how heavy you are willing to go. If you are hunting solo versus with others also determines how heavy you are willing to go. Price and durability are always determining factors when making a purchase, but backpacking adds other factors that are just as important.

mwalter
02-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Look at the pentax 65 ed . 15-45. Or the Nikon Ed . Both great

Weatherby Fan
02-25-2014, 09:19 PM
The 65mm weighs 48.4 oz and the 50mm weighs 25oz so if 1.5 lbs is going to make or break your back packing trip you best not go......., get the bigger objective you will be much happier in low light conditions.
WF

todbartell
02-25-2014, 09:32 PM
The 11-33x50 Razor is a very packable unit, but the extra magnification of the 48x65 can come in handy. Exit pupil on high power is the same in both models but when you compare them side by side on 33x, the bigger 65mm will be brighter.

I have the 16-48x65mm and it's great. Main use for me is at the range, glassing targets. No problem seeing 22 cal holes at 600 yards when the mirage is gone

dana
02-25-2014, 09:33 PM
1.5 lbs can be a huge difference when you are purchasing backpacking equipment. Especially when it comes to backpack hunting. Go in light come out heavy is the goal.

pescado
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Here is some reading on some compact spotters. It only has the older Vortex's but it will give you an idea on some others.
http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=136

Weatherby Fan
02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
1.5 lbs can be a huge difference when you are purchasing backpacking equipment. Especially when it comes to backpack hunting. Go in light come out heavy is the goal.

I agree totally with what your saying, go in light come out heavy that's the goal, but sacraficing a 1.5lbs in optic quality could be the difference in coming out heavy.
I'm pretty sure your using a spotting scope with a bigger objective than 50mm and for good reason as you well know the difference in low light performance of a bigger objective.

hunter fisher
02-25-2014, 10:18 PM
The 11-33x50 Razor is a very packable unit, but the extra magnification of the 48x65 can come in handy. Exit pupil on high power is the same in both models but when you compare them side by side on 33x, the bigger 65mm will be brighter.

I have the 16-48x65mm and it's great. Main use for me is at the range, glassing targets. No problem seeing 22 cal holes at 600 yards when the mirage is gone

yea todd i think I'm leaning toward the 65mm. whats your overall satisfaction with your Razor?

albravo2
02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
This isn't really a subjective question especially since you are comparing two products from the same manufacturer. If weight matters more to you, go with the small one. If magnification matters more, buy the big one.

I have the 65 and no regrets. I also have a 15 yr old son (pack mule) to carry it. I pay for everything, he carries everything. Or something along those lines.

dana
02-25-2014, 10:35 PM
I agree totally with what your saying, go in light come out heavy that's the goal, but sacraficing a 1.5lbs in optic quality could be the difference in coming out heavy.
I'm pretty sure your using a spotting scope with a bigger objective than 50mm and for good reason as you well know the difference in low light performance of a bigger objective.

I have 2 spotters. My lightweight packing spotter is an ol' school 25x50 compact gold ring Leupold. If I am in an effort to cut weight, that is my goto spotter. I've hunted enough to know light gathering does very little to actually help you kill something. Sure an extra 15 mins at the end of a day, you might see something. But that ain't enogh time to kill something. The rare times when critters bed right at first light, maybe that 15 mins extra will help you bed him, but most of the time, critters are up a little longer. I've spotted plenty of critters with the 25x50. As a matter if fact, I've seen numerous giants with that spotter. When you see a cranker in low light you know its a cranker, you don't need to know if his eyeguards are 2 inches versus 1 1/2. But each trip may be different. If shooting a legal 8 year old ram is your goal versus shooting an no brainer full curl, then the 25x50 would not be a goto spotter. Weight would be trimmed elsewhere. But keep in mind everywhere you trim you sacrifice something.

hunter fisher
02-25-2014, 10:35 PM
This isn't really a subjective question especially since you are comparing two products from the same manufacturer. If weight matters more to you, go with the small one. If magnification matters more, buy the big one.

I have the 65 and no regrets. I also have a 15 yr old son (pack mule) to carry it. I pay for everything, he carries everything. Or something along those lines.

how much weight is too much?

how much magnification is enough?

size of an objective lens also affects clarity, colour, and brightness... not just magnification

its subject to peoples experience, which is why we have forums, for the exchange of useful information.

Ambush
02-25-2014, 10:39 PM
I have the Nikon ED 50 and I was able to find one of the fairly rare 15X45 zoom eye pieces for it. Not cheap, but the quality and clarity is there.

Small enough to carry in a day pack and because it is light and compact it's more apt to be with me than at home. Pretty nice back pack unit.

I still have to machine a PVC camera adapter for it.

Weatherby Fan
02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
I have 2 spotters. My lightweight packing spotter is an ol' school 25x50 compact gold ring Leupold. If I am in an effort to cut weight, that is my goto spotter. I've hunted enough to know light gathering does very little to actually help you kill something. Sure an extra 15 mins at the end of a day, you might see something. But that ain't enogh time to kill something. The rare times when critters bed right at first light, maybe that 15 mins extra will help you bed him, but most of the time, critters are up a little longer. I've spotted plenty of critters with the 25x50. As a matter if fact, I've seen numerous giants with that spotter. When you see a cranker in low light you know its a cranker, you don't need to know if his eyeguards are 2 inches versus 1 1/2. But each trip may be different. If shooting a legal 8 year old ram is your goal versus shooting an no brainer full curl, then the 25x50 would not be a goto spotter. Weight would be trimmed elsewhere. But keep in mind everywhere you trim you sacrifice something.

I also used the Leupold Gold Ring 25x50 for years in my backpack and was amazed at difference in using a similar quality spotting scope with a 65mm objective, just like my Leica 10x42 binoculars that weigh 30oz I can get a much lighter set of binoculars to backpack with but I will be giving up a lot of optic quality to save a little weight.
The OP needs to decide which is more important, I will bet the majority of dedicated backpack hunters will go with the bigger objective regardless of the extra weight.

Quesnel Kid
02-25-2014, 11:06 PM
tough choice, all I can say is get the angled eye piece, your neck will thank you. I think I would go with the 65mm even if I was going solo, better in more situations probably will use it in more situations then the little guy.

todbartell
02-25-2014, 11:15 PM
yea todd i think I'm leaning toward the 65mm. whats your overall satisfaction with your Razor?

Very satisfied. I know a guy who sold off his Zeiss spotter to get the Razor after looking through it

Dre
02-25-2014, 11:27 PM
how much weight is too much?

how much magnification is enough?

size of an objective lens also affects clarity, colour, and brightness... not just magnification

its subject to peoples experience, which is why we have forums, for the exchange of useful information.

Scope decision should be based on what you are hunting first. For mature billy goats and sheep you gotta go with the biggest that you are able to carry and the best you can afford. It will save you many steep miles of walking when you can tell if there is a shooter or not. I think the 65 razor is a great choice, I'll be looking at one as well. The 50 is too weak, in my opinion. If money is no object, Swaro 65 would be my choice, but the Razor is a better value. 80mm and up are the best choice in a group of 2, but too bulky and heavy for solo hunting. I preffer the angled version, but the straight are a bit better for glassing from above and staying concealed. Good luck

Buck
02-26-2014, 12:11 AM
This year i bought the Pentax 65 ED II with a Vixen 8x24 zoom.I also bought a fixed 14 mm pentax XW eyepeice for it has a 70 degree FOV that eye piece is one of the best in the world and used with the pentax scope it is right up there with the much more expensive optics for one third the price.I also modified a 2 power Barlow which turns the 30 power fixed lens into either 40 or 50 power and it weighs very little.Great thing with the Pentax is it takes 1.25 lenses which means you can interchange with 100's of different eyepieces .Lots of good reviews on this setup at the various Birdforums.I have used the B&L scopes and they definitely will work and do not weigh much.Having said that a very succesful sheephunter i know does not carry a spotting scope.

ryanb
02-26-2014, 08:43 AM
My opinion on spotting scopes:
1. Sharing a spotting scope with a partner really really sucks. I carry my own. If they want to look through a spotting scope, they carry their own.
2. Weight is not an issue. I started with a 50mm spotting scope, moved up to a 60mm, now I have an 88mm. The extra weight is worth it. Not only does it save me energy deciding whether an animal miles away is worth going after but it also makes identifying legal animals extremely easy.

You'll be bitterly disapointed wity the 33mm scope, the 50 will be marginal...go as big as you can and as high quality as you can afford.

1/2 slam
02-26-2014, 09:25 AM
I also used the Leupold Gold Ring 25x50 for years in my backpack and was amazed at difference in using a similar quality spotting scope with a 65mm objective, just like my Leica 10x42 binoculars that weigh 30oz I can get a much lighter set of binoculars to backpack with but I will be giving up a lot of optic quality to save a little weight.
The OP needs to decide which is more important, I will bet the majority of dedicated backpack hunters will go with the bigger objective regardless of the extra weight.

I certainly would. A pound and a half is well worth it for a superior spotting scope. It can mean the difference between coming out light or heavy

1/2 slam
02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
1. Sharing a spotting scope with a partner really really sucks. I carry my own. If they want to look through a spotting scope, they carry their own.
2. Weight is not an issue. I started with a 50mm spotting scope, moved up to a 60mm, now I have an 88mm. The extra weight is worth it. Not only does it save me energy deciding whether an animal miles away is worth going after but it also makes identifying legal animals extremely easy.

You'll be bitterly disapointed wity the 33mm scope, the 50 will be marginal...go as big as you can and as high quality as you can afford.

Most excellent advice.

pescado
02-26-2014, 09:33 AM
I have the Nikon ED 50 and I was able to find one of the fairly rare 15X45 zoom eye pieces for it. Not cheap, but the quality and clarity is there.

Small enough to carry in a day pack and because it is light and compact it's more apt to be with me than at home. Pretty nice back pack unit.

I still have to machine a PVC camera adapter for it.

For a lightweight compact that would be my choice as well.

kayjayess
02-26-2014, 10:14 AM

I certainly agree with number 2. As many guys will say - you don't need good optics - and I will not disagree. You don't. The earlier hunters had no optics and still killed game. In this day and age though it is harder and harder to find game and at times you might even be contending with other hunters for game. I have used shitty optics in the past and thought hey this is fine. The optics snobs don't know what they are talking about. Well until you glass a herd of sheep across a distant valley and think yep looks like a bachelor herd of rams, but your $300 vortex scope can't quite make out if there legal. Then hike for 6 hours to get close enough for a look to realize that nope it is a herd of ewes. That's when you think - shit I wish I owned a Swaro.

After that season that's when I went and dropped a small fortune on optics. The argument is you will save tons of energy hiking and days of hunting by being able to see what you are after without having to get closer. Like I said I have been there and only until you have good optics and use it in the field that you appreciate it's importance. I now get what the optics snobs are saying and subscribe to the adage that you should buy the best optics you can afford. I own a Swaro ATM 65 HD spotter and love it. The 80 is a good option, I just prefer the size and weight of the 65 for sheep hunting.

Good luck. As someone mentioned earlier I have made the mistake and learned that buying the cheap spotter just resulted in me buying a more expensive one at a later date.

hunter fisher
02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
thanks everyone for the advice, lots of great info

my mind is made up, 18-48x65 it is

Krico
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Big x2 on this one. I HATE sharing a spotter. Have done it and swore to myself never again. Constantly asking "hey can I see?", or hearing it, is totally annoying. I'll pack my spotter on any serious hunt. You can be far more effective glassing with 2 spotters than with one.

Hunters Luck
02-26-2014, 04:17 PM
I just bought a new Razor 65m and I'm pretty impressed! I have Swarovski and all of my family does as well, and we were all astounded at the quality. For $900 I think it's next to impossible to beat.

dana
02-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Big x2 on this one. I HATE sharing a spotter. Have done it and swore to myself never again. Constantly asking "hey can I see?", or hearing it, is totally annoying. I'll pack my spotter on any serious hunt. You can be far more effective glassing with 2 spotters than with one.

Did a highcountry muley hunt with my brother where we only brought one spotter and one rifle between the 2 of us. Worked out well. When you learn to glass as a team versus glassing for 'me' you'll find this is a great way to save weight. We both shot deer so we we both weighed down heavy for the pack out. Not having an extra spotter or rifle on the pack out was a big win! My buddies and I rarely have 2 spotters up at the same time. Griding with binos and telling the team member behind the spotter where a critter that needs closer examination is works well.

hunter1993ap
02-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Did a highcountry muley hunt with my brother where we only brought one spotter and one rifle between the 2 of us. Worked out well. When you learn to glass as a team versus glassing for 'me' you'll find this is a great way to save weight. We both shot deer so we we both weighed down heavy for the pack out. Not having an extra spotter or rifle on the pack out was a big win! My buddies and I rarely have 2 spotters up at the same time. Griding with binos and telling the team member behind the spotter where a critter that needs closer examination is works well.

I agree, never will I pack two spotters with two guys. just way too much weight and money as I normally hunt with my dad. one spotter b/w the two of us is plenty. I get to pack the spotter anyway, but I don't mind. especially with a long trip, pack that weight in food so you can stay on the mountain longer. but we always pack our own rifle, unless one of us was tagged out.

frenchbar
02-26-2014, 06:23 PM
1 spotters fine and dandy if your together all the time...which turns out rarely if im hunting with a partner .

warnniklz
02-26-2014, 06:27 PM
... I will bet the majority of dedicated backpack hunters will go with the bigger objective regardless of the extra weight.

I went bigger spotter and left the underwear at home...

As for the 1 spotter between two guys debate. I've done fine with 1 spotter with two guys. But those have been on 3-5 day trips. Binos for general scanning and spotting, spotter for closer identification. That being said I'd probably enjoy 2 spotters for two guys on a 10 day excursion. Especially if there's a possibility of splitting up.

Krico
02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Different strokes for different folks! It's quite likely on a long hunt that you will split from your hunt partner at some point. That and my earlier points are why I'll almost always be packing my own.

dana
02-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Thus the reason why you need to determine what spotter fits 'your' needs not the needs of people on the internet who are telling you what spotter you should buy!

358mag
03-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Great write up on 8 different spotting scopes in the latest edition of Eastman's Hunting Journal well worth the price of the magazine .

hunter fisher
03-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks Everybody. my new Razor HD 65mm showed up today in the mail and wow is it beautiful. i just glassed the neighbourhood while it was last light and it looked like the afternoon! can't wait to take it out into the field. amazing crisp image, like actually being next to whatever your focusing on

Appreciate all the advice from many members!

Rubicon500
03-16-2014, 11:11 AM
For Stone hunts we pack 1 spotter for 2 guys , 2 spotters for 3 guys. Never have had a issue once arise about not getting enough time behind the scope. We pack a 20-60x85 ziess , we also hunt as a team and it gets the job done. But like Dana says everyone hunts different , you get numerous ppl who go hunting "together" but pack seperate tents , stoves , etc in case they want to spilt for few days in opposite direction so only you are going to know what suits your needs.

If your checking a ram out on 60 power you will definatly appreciate the extra light the 85 mm brings in compared to a 65mm