PDA

View Full Version : Elk Calling?

cole97
02-25-2014, 02:20 PM
How in the world do you use a mouth diaphragm always wonder how the work and how you use then

mike-juliet
02-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Choke half to death getting it properly placed in your upper esophagus, then if your lucky you will make sounds similar to Elk, I sound like a dying giraffe getting ****ed by an elephant.

Scotty-B
02-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Pressed against the roof of your mouth, tongue pressure to change the pitch. Keep the opening of the horseshoe facing out. It takes practice, but it is the best sound when you get it. It's all I use.

Bugle M In
02-25-2014, 02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9Rr8uM5Q4

BMI

frenchbar
02-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Choke half to death getting it properly placed in your upper esophagus, then if your lucky you will make sounds similar to Elk, I sound like a dying giraffe getting ****ed by an elephant. hahahaha... so does the giraffe call work ..lol

treehugger
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
They're kinda of counter intuitive... When you look at them you would think the arch would line up with your teeth... Not so! That's a recipe for an eye watering retch... Get yourself a grunt tube and take it to the next level! Good luck

Mikey Rafiki
02-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I've used them for years and still can't get a good deep low tone of a big dirty herd bull compared to my power bugle. But, they are mandatory when you need to go hands free because a chuckling pisscutter is bulldozing trees 30 feet in front of you.

cole97
02-25-2014, 03:48 PM
I found couple mouth calls and a grunt tube in my basement ask my dad where the hell he got them from he said he won a elk call package online and he forgot it was there so here I am trying to piss off my mother trying to make a good chuckling and bugling calls .... is there any sound you have to make or grunt type sound really confused

Scotty-B
02-25-2014, 04:14 PM
To get deep grunts, I use light tongue pressure and growl at the same time. I've called in more hunters who claimed to have heard a 'bruiser', and that they never heard a single 'hunter bugle' in the area.

Ferenc
02-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Tried that route....not much success...now use a Power bugle... it works!!!

Ourea
02-25-2014, 04:51 PM
I think the big mistake most make when first exposed to using a diaphragm is trying to "bugle" and sound like an elk right off the hop.
You are far better off just trying to make "noise" or sounds, any sound, with it.
Get comfortable with it in your mouth and make small short sounds, doesn't need to sound like an elk.
Once you get a handle on being able to make different sounds and you've learned to "control" the diaphram, imitating a bugle becomes very easy.

todbartell
02-25-2014, 10:06 PM
I couldn't use them for years but now it's all I use. Practice practice practice! My preference is for the Primos Sonic Domes

hunter1993ap
02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
start with a single reed, with light air pressure and work from there. once you can make "sounds" start to increase air pressure and practice practice, practice. did I mention to practice!! get a bunch of different types and find which one fits best. I thought the primos were good at first but after I learned to use others I don't care for primos anymore. I have made my whole family nuts from bugling all the time!!!

cole97
02-25-2014, 10:23 PM
How do u use or apply air pressure to it
How far back and where to put my tounge at

Fred1
02-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Ha ha ! Yes practice.... I suck!! My whole neighborhood has told me... twice... I even got caught by some dude when I was practicing some terrible noises at a stop light - he shook his head and split on the green. However, there are no neighborhood cats leaving foot prints on the hood of my truck on cold nights :)

hunter1993ap
02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
press the reed against your upper teeth with your tongue. air pressure comes from pretty much just pushing air past the reed. depending on how hard you push the reed with your tongue you will get low to high pitch. the harder you press the higher the pitch. the trick is controlling the sound.

cole97
02-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Iam I putting my tongue on the latex

hunter1993ap
02-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Iam I putting my tongue on the latex

ya don't touch the latex with anything

cole97
02-26-2014, 08:36 PM
so where is my tongue going touch on the mouth call

hunter1993ap
02-26-2014, 08:50 PM
so where is my tongue going touch on the mouth call

heres a vid to hopefully give you a better idea of how to start. Its hard for me to explain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Me-b6RYjA

pescado
02-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I kept one in my vehicle and got used to it that way. I use the Flextone. You have to get comfortable with having them in your mouth. Takes time but worth it if you like elk hunting.

hunter1947
02-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Just put it in to the top of your upper mouth plate apply your tong to the bottom and start making some elk music don't let it get to you if a few noises come out sounding like a fart it took me a couple years to master a reed ..

Bugle M In
02-27-2014, 11:58 AM
you may find the primos "sonic domes" will sit in your mouth more comfortably, and may give you a better feel for in mouth placement.
Also, because of the plastic dome, it may give you more self assurance of not sliding into the back of your throat.
NOTE: these sonic domes come in a regular size, and a MINI size.....most people I think would fit the regular size....so just be aware if you
purchase them.
n the end, if you still can't make it happen, powerbugle or primos bugle are very good.
A Close version of the diaphragm call in a bugle format however is the Berry thunder Bugle....check it out.
Thunder bugle has reed inserts that are from actual mouth diaphragm calls.
Power bugle is great, only draw back is that those little rubber bands don't last long or may get twisted at the wrong time.
Primos is still a go to bugle, as well as carlton, all proven to work, thunder bugle is a bugle but just short of using mouth calls.
My very 1st bull, was bugled and then mewed in with a carlton bugle years ago, that had the same rubber ring that primos uses.
But really, it is the cow call that you need to have!
Bugle works great on a single bull, but be prepared to pull in a lot of 5 pointers or less.
bugle can push away larger bulls with cows ASASP.
Bugle to locate if needed, meaning unable to spot, then cow call and close the distance as quick as possible.
Check out those videos that are posted....glad I rewatched them....think I will be purchasing that cow call....I like the sound!
I always like to have a few different toned cow calls, may it be mouth diaphragms or hand calls.
When trying to learn the mouth call.....try like a musician does with instruments.
Instead of trying to reproduce the whole call, trying only reaching one note at a time.
The growl note only, the high note only, the mid note only, the one in between only...break it down,
get a SENSE and FEEL for where your tongue is, the pressure used etc.
Break it down first...then build it into a sliding scale....then get out there! and hustle your ass off!