PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Hunts - Lack of Success?

rcar
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
With the spring Grizzly draw looming (by the end of the week most likely), I thought I would pose a question.

Althought I have not completely verified these numbers I am pretty certain they are very close based on several publications and calls I made.

Last year there were 2291 LEH draws awarded. This does not include the tags awarded to outfitters. From all documentation I can find, it appears that last year there were roughly 300 Grizzly's taken in BC, including those by outfitters. Assuming that outfitters account for 1/3 of the Grizzlies taken (a number that was estimated by the a guy I spoke with at the ministry) that would mean that hunter success for Grizz is less than 9%.

This seems very low to me. Is it because the hunt is so difficult or are guys entering and not going? I somewhat hijacked a thread a while back and a few guys posed the thought that the tree huggers unite and enter the LEH to save the Grizz. Not that far fetched I guess.

coach
02-25-2014, 10:41 AM
It's not an easy hunt in many areas. Sometimes snow levels are such that access to the bears doesn't happen until the last few days of the draw. Typically, grizzly hunters are looking to kill a mature boar. Often bears are spotted that don't fit that criteria. It's important for everyone to remember that hunter success is factored in to determine the number of authorizations available. If 100% of hunters filled their draws, then based on your numbers, there would only be 300 or so draws given out. It doesn't really matter if antis are putting in for draws to save bears, either. If they are, more tags will be allocated to ensure harvest meets targets.

Ltbullken
02-25-2014, 10:46 AM
I'd say success is a combination of both no show and difficulty of hunt. I think you need to time the hunt with when they come out of the den and being able to get into areas they are most likely to be when there is still a ton of snow on the ground. This means special equipment (tracked ATV) or lots of walking/snowshoeing into snowed out valleys. Male Griz cover a huge range too so you need to expand a hunt to cover 2 or 3 watersheds. Lots of ground to cover for one animal with tough conditions! I think it is better to go when there is still snow in the valley because it will show tracks in the snow adn you can judge them better. When do griz typically come out of the den? Anyone know? Varies with region too I bet.

MB_Boy
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I think there are a lot of variables that come into play.

Authorization holder doesn't live in the immediate area and schedules a week window to go hunt. That can be tough given what weather can do, melting snow.
As for the 'weather' point I think access can have a notable impact if we have a cool spring and the snowpack doesn't get a good melt going.
You have to think with that number of permits there are a good number who just don't know what they're getting themselves into and aren't prepared for what the spring conditions can throw at them. If a truck can't get them all the way in where they want to go are they prepared to get out on foot/snowshoes and get deep into a drainage?
I would bet there are a good number that also just go unused. It's great to put in for a draw month's in advance but so many things that are "life" can get in the way, be it work commitments, family etc.
All in all from reading the MANY stories on here over the years they are not an easy hunt. Much different than spring bear where it is sometimes as simple as "buy backroads map book, drive said backroads, spot bear on uphill side of the road, get out of your truck and shoot it". :wink:

One only has to look at HBC over the years and see the number of successful hunts; and these are the best hunters in BC!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I would presume 30-50% don't even go.
It's a hard hunt. Many don't have the required transportation to hit the back 9 where the bears are if there is snow on the roads. Even once you're there it's a physical hunt, it'snot black bear hunting thats for sure. The big buggers focus on certain food sources which can be hard to find and more importantly, start looking for ladies almost immediately. If you can find a lone sow on a good food source, I'd stay put.
Last year I saw all of two bears in an area loaded in the fall. a 5' sow and the 8'6" we shot. One other bear, equivalent to the one we killed, we hunted like a cat and being a day behind, he moved from the back of the valley to the bottom third in 2 days of hunting him, ignoring ALL slides (tracks in the snow)
He moved a total of 42kms along the river and we never did catch up to him or find him, he headed into endless miles of timber going to ???
I need the answer to that if anyone has it ! I did notice bears were visiting beaver dams, beavers are the highest source of protein any carnivore can eat. Something to keep in mind coupled with the fact those swamps see some of the first green shoots of the season.

Ltbullken
02-25-2014, 01:45 PM
I would presume 30-50% don't even go.
It's a hard hunt. Many don't have the required transportation to hit the back 9 where the bears are if there is snow on the roads. Even once you're there it's a physical hunt, it'snot black bear hunting thats for sure. The big buggers focus on certain food sources which can be hard to find and more importantly, start looking for ladies almost immediately. If you can find a lone sow on a good food source, I'd stay put.
Last year I saw all of two bears in an area loaded in the fall. a 5' sow and the 8'6" we shot. One other bear, equivalent to the one we killed, we hunted like a cat and being a day behind, he moved from the back of the valley to the bottom third in 2 days of hunting him, ignoring ALL slides (tracks in the snow)
He moved a total of 42kms along the river and we never did catch up to him or find him, he headed into endless miles of timber going to ???
I need the answer to that if anyone has it ! I did notice bears were visiting beaver dams, beavers are the highest source of protein any carnivore can eat. Something to keep in mind coupled with the fact those swamps see some of the first green shoots of the season.

My guess is he's headed to the lushest greenery he can (his nose) find in the lower valleys. Those moist areas will be stinky with young skunk cabbage that time of year, a major food source in the spring. Exactly, beaver damns may be the swamps that grow the greenery. Any calving areas near by? Might be headed there too.

Drillbit
02-25-2014, 01:58 PM
I put around 25 full days in last year and didn't get one, didn't even see one. It happens. Saw tracks in a few spots.

But I also do know guys that get drawn and don't even buy a tag cause they're too busy or lazy.

Barracuda
02-25-2014, 02:05 PM
its a tough hunt and you have to be the kind of person willing to put a ton of research, physical training and resources into it and this is before you get the draw. once you get the draw you have to make it all come together .

BiG Boar
02-25-2014, 02:12 PM
I would say 9% is even high to be honest. That would mean 1 in 10 draws is taking a bear. I highly doubt that considering about 50% of them probably don't even show up. People get it in their heads they want a big bad grizzly, but when the rubber meets the road, its a lot of money, effort and time off for a skin. Its not like a black bear hunt where people are willing to shoot a small one even just for the meat. I have hunted 67 days now for grizzly and taken 1 bear on day 64. I could have harvested many along the way, but most were too small, or probably sows.

Rackmastr
02-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Agreed with whats been said above. Its a lot of time, money, research, commitment, and work to make it all happen. Snow levels, road access, weather, distance to travel, etc, etc all add up to different reasons why guys pull the pin after applying. Its not an easy hunt for those who go and several hours can be put in searching, hiking, glassing, and the days are long. Add that in to a lot of people wanting to harvest a mature boar, and the odds keep going down.

We are amazingly lucky to be able to hunt grizzlies and its a hunt that I'll cherish for the rest of my life just being able to do, even without the harvest. Its an amazing experience and I look forward to doing it again!!

NorBC
02-25-2014, 02:41 PM
I put in and got my grizz draw for the stikine for my moose hunting trip last fall. ( only a ten day hunt )I didn't plan a grizz hunt for that trip in anyway, but I didn't want to see one and not have the tag with me. I'm sure a few people have this approach. However this year I hope I get my early draw, and plan on putting in the days / effort.

Wild one
02-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Weather and timing can screw your whole hunt

Those who need to book time off work need to guess how fast the snow will melt and how fast things green up. If they guess it wrong chance of success really drops if you are too really or too late.

GoatGuy
02-25-2014, 02:55 PM
From 1997-2006 only 56.4% of those who applied were drawn actually purchased a grizzly tag.

91.6% of those drawn purchased a hunting license.

Barracuda
02-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Weather and timing can screw your whole hunt

so can a forest fire :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wild one
02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
so can a forest fire :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't argue with that :mrgreen:

Husky7mm
02-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Just like goat hunting, many like the idea and lure of the adventure so they put in the draw but when it comes down to it they can't pull it off or just aren't willing to do what it takes. If the success was higher the waits wound be even longer so it just is what it is.
Being excluded for a time from future draws for not even buying a tag may help ?.?.

Barracuda
02-25-2014, 04:42 PM
goat is the new grizzly:-D

Husky7mm
02-25-2014, 05:08 PM
haha , IMO goats are harder to knock down.

boxhitch
02-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Being excluded for a time from future draws for not even buying a tag may help ?.?.Help ? Help what ? Is there a problem ?

NorBC
02-25-2014, 05:24 PM

I wish! If only I could drive 30 minutes and be able to glass 10 or more grizz a day..

markomoose
02-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Put in a solid 12+ days my son & I .We finally found scat/tracks in a good area(Bowron River).Never saw a Grizzly?

Husky7mm
02-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Help ? Help what ? Is there a problem ?
Well note the ??? In the statement. Anyway many a leh tag are drawn by folks that will never try use them or are simply physically unable to hunt what they are applying for. Its a waste of a limited tag IMO

Barracuda
02-25-2014, 05:37 PM
They take that into account when they create the authorization allocations. they also take into account lack of access etc boat only, no vehicles etc etc

boxhitch
02-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Its a waste of a limited tag IMO Gotta love BC for that. Pay $4 for the lottery application , then sit and hope the lottery pays again and the opportunity to hunt presents itself. Sweet imo.
I just wish G Bear hunts had a 'group' component , what better way to garner interested partners than to have more than one tag in a group. More interest and support = more participation.

hunter fisher
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Most hunters i talk to also check the grizzly subsitute hunt. so when they dont get there first or second choice, and are awarded a draw in timbuktu nowhere, they pull the pin

Husky7mm
02-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Gotta love BC for that. Pay $4 for the lottery application , then sit and hope the lottery pays again and the opportunity to hunt presents itself. Sweet imo.
I just wish G Bear hunts had a 'group' component , what better way to garner interested partners than to have more than one tag in a group. More interest and support = more participation.

People should not hesitate to join their friends or relatives that have draw a tag. Spring grizzly is a blast weather you get to actually shoot one or not.
Many units don't support enough tags to give out multiples to a group.

BCbillies
02-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Gotta love BC for that. Pay $4 for the lottery application , then sit and hope the lottery pays again and the opportunity to hunt presents itself. Sweet imo.

Got a group GBear draw in 2012 and we knocked a couple down. We put in this spring for a group hunt also. It's great having 2 or 3 tags in the group when the bears are thick! :)

BEAVERBRUCE
02-25-2014, 07:10 PM
My guess is he's headed to the lushest greenery he can (his nose) find in the lower valleys. Those moist areas will be stinky with young skunk cabbage that time of year, a major food source in the spring. Exactly, beaver damns may be the swamps that grow the greenery. Any calving areas near by? Might be headed there too.
the moose & black bears used to eat the grass around the house in the spring. then along came the sunk cabbage I thought wow lots of green they will love it. wrong they never came back I understand it's poisnoius'

Rackmastr
02-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Got a group GBear draw in 2012 and we knocked a couple down. We put in this spring for a group hunt also. It's great having 2 or 3 tags in the group when the bears are thick! :)

Yep we did a group of 3 of us and it was good to have 3 tags and be able to cover some country. Also really good to have the extra tags if one person tags out to make the trip even more worthwhile!

02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Grizzly hunting is great. The weather, the long days, the thrill of seeing an apex predator. Physically, I have found grizzly hunting to be second only to goat and sheep in terms of effort

Ltbullken
02-26-2014, 01:13 PM
the moose & black bears used to eat the grass around the house in the spring. then along came the sunk cabbage I thought wow lots of green they will love it. wrong they never came back I understand it's poisnoius'

It's the spring shoots and roots that are the prime draw. As a mature plant, likely not a prime food. It also gets the digestive tract going again, so important after 9 months of retention!

NorBC
02-26-2014, 02:28 PM

I honestly have no idea if it's poisonous, but I can tell you first hand I know grizzlys dig them up and eat them in the fall( not sure about blackies now that I think about it. Just always assumed they do.). They tare up all the patches by our spurs at work. I got a few pics of a teenager on my trailcam digging a patch.

srupp
02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
hmmm early..first thing..fiddleheads and skunk cabbage are important to removing the fecal plug and getting the plumbing system functioning...

As for success...those that actually show up and put in the effort..success rates were good..above average last year..however most folks are new hunters..don't consider thermals..and other nuances of grizzly hunting...am aware of and had input into 8 grizzlies last spring just in the caribou..one hunter was not successful out of 9..and I had imput into 5 outside the region and 3 of the 5 were successful...above average year...

IMO grizzlies are as plentiful in the cariboo west chilcotin..and coast as 30 years ago...

cheers

SRUPP

Drillbit
02-26-2014, 04:32 PM
...am aware of and had input into 8 grizzlies last spring just in the caribou..one hunter was not successful out of 9..P

Ouch, I'm pretty sure I am that "one" haha!

I shot one 3 years ago in the same area, knew the area pretty good and where the bears usually are found. Put in many days and lots of effort, but no bear. Can't win'em all!

Thanks again for your advice Srupp!