PDA

View Full Version : Anybody make wild game bone broth?

albravo2
02-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi all,
We just received the 1/2 beef cow that we order from friends that own a ranch. This year we got a bunch of bones and some offal for the dogs.

My wife has made some unbelievably fantastic beef broth after roasting the bones and I'm wondering if people on HBC have experimented with wild game bones?

Moose broth? Elk broth?

horshur
02-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Hi all,
We just received the 1/2 beef cow that we order from friends that own a ranch. This year we got a bunch of bones and some offal for the dogs.

My wife has made some unbelievably fantastic beef broth after roasting the bones and I'm wondering if people on HBC have experimented with wild game bones?

Moose broth? Elk broth?

yes it is good as long as it is a good tasting animal.....

MichelD
02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
I went along on a moose trip in 2012 and my buds got a moose. We had it butchered in Smithers and as my wife is extra-fond of soup bones, I had all the bones cut into small pieces and frozen too. My share was four liquor store boxes of meat and about 8 boxes of bones. We still have some.

She pressure cooks 3 or four fist sized pieces and uses that as the base for our Faux Pho.

I've done the same with elk we processed at home and no bone from a deer or bear goes to waste around here. It realy doubles the pleasure and use you get from your game.

35rem
02-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Done it with deer, elk, snowshoe hare and grouse. Like you said, roasting the bones in the oven first gives better flavor. I like to add some laurel, clove, thyme, pepper and a few juniper berries to the mix. Also shallots (or onions), carrots and celery. Roast (or sautee) the veggies as well, but not as long as the bones.

adriaticum
02-25-2014, 05:31 PM
BigBoar had some pictures of this.

nap
02-26-2014, 06:27 AM
Bone Broth, kidding right, not in our house hold, de bone everything and make soup or a stew out of meat!!! That's it that's all!!! Just kidding cook up what you enjoy.

albravo2
02-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks all. Will definitely be trying it with anything shot close enough to carry bones too.

Bit of a funny turn of events on the old bone broth issue yesterday. After reading about all the health benefits and carefully roasting and then simmering the bones for 24 hours my wife (who, I should say, is an excellent cook) skimmed off a cup and handed it to me for lunch yesterday. Apparently she missed the part of the recipe that mentions letting the broth cool, then scooping off the copious fat that floats to the top. The first sip I thought 'wow, that's a bit unusual'. Second sip I thought 'hmmm, not my favourite'. Third sip I was wondering where I could pour it out and on the fourth sip I realized I was drinking pure, warm, rendered tallow. It was like trying to drink a cup of olive oil with a bit of salt on top.

Those four sips sat in my gut all night and I was belching beef fat until I went to bed. This morning brought an impressive evacuation of pretty much everything from my tonsils to my large intestine. Hell of a laxative, that beef tallow.

Not to be put off by my obvious suffering my dear wife made me broth for lunch today. It is delicious.

MichelD
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Sometimes I think my wife would be happier if I left the meat in the woods and just brought the bones out. Bone based soup is a daily menu item around here when we have them. I save deer and bear shanks bone in for the same use.

luckofthedraw
02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Could someone share up a beef broth reciepe? I have a bunch of beef bones I took from my father, thinking I would give them to my lab. The bones are all approx fist size or smaller and I'm nervous to give them to the dog, as he's already given us his share of vet bills.

MichelD
02-26-2014, 03:40 PM
All we do is put 'em in a pressure cooker with a chopped onion and a couple crushed heads of garlic. Put a bay leaf and some peppercorns in if you want.

albravo2
02-26-2014, 04:16 PM
1. Roast bones (knuckles, joints, marrow bones) at 400 for 1/2 hour then flip them and roast another 1/2 hour.
2. Coat bones in tomato paste, throw some onions and carrots and celery onto the roasting pan and roast for 1/2 hour more. (this stage smells delicious, btw)
3. Pour everything into a big crock pot, add bay leaf, peppercorns, 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (to leech all the good stuff from the bones), top with water and cook on low for 24-48 hours
4. Let cool then SKIM the FAT. Some people use tallow for cooking, up to you.

I was truly surprised by how delicious this was.

tripleseven
03-02-2014, 06:26 PM
1. Roast bones (knuckles, joints, marrow bones) at 400 for 1/2 hour then flip them and roast another 1/2 hour.
2. Coat bones in tomato paste, throw some onions and carrots and celery onto the roasting pan and roast for 1/2 hour more. (this stage smells delicious, btw)
3. Pour everything into a big crock pot, add bay leaf, peppercorns, 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (to leech all the good stuff from the bones), top with water and cook on low for 24-48 hours

Whoah. This sounds amazing. How strong is the game flavor from bones? What water/bone ratio do you use?

deer nut
03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks all. Will definitely be trying it with anything shot close enough to carry bones too.

Bit of a funny turn of events on the old bone broth issue yesterday. After reading about all the health benefits and carefully roasting and then simmering the bones for 24 hours my wife (who, I should say, is an excellent cook) skimmed off a cup and handed it to me for lunch yesterday. Apparently she missed the part of the recipe that mentions letting the broth cool, then scooping off the copious fat that floats to the top. The first sip I thought 'wow, that's a bit unusual'. Second sip I thought 'hmmm, not my favourite'. Third sip I was wondering where I could pour it out and on the fourth sip I realized I was drinking pure, warm, rendered tallow. It was like trying to drink a cup of olive oil with a bit of salt on top.

Those four sips sat in my gut all night and I was belching beef fat until I went to bed. This morning brought an impressive evacuation of pretty much everything from my tonsils to my large intestine. Hell of a laxative, that beef tallow.

Not to be put off by my obvious suffering my dear wife made me broth for lunch today. It is delicious. That is hilarious! Sorry to laugh at your discomfort but HAHAHA!!!! :wink:

albravo2
03-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Whoah. This sounds amazing. How strong is the game flavor from bones? What water/bone ratio do you use?

I was using beef bones, so no game flavour at all. My wife just added water until the crock pot was almost full, I don' think there is a proper ratio to worry about.

rbest
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
You can easily search on the internet how to make a "stock" There are a few different methods, depending what you are looking for. Using bones, is a stock, and a broth is using meat and extracting the flavor from it. The process is the same, but the flavors will be different. Albravo2 outlined the making of a brown stock above!

weiss
06-21-2014, 08:27 AM
I only used deer bones and I must say that broth is not as rich as with beef, or you simply need more bones or less water. But perhaps I have different definition of broth. To me it is something closer to "hush", which is sort of a "head cheese served hot". I do not roast bones neither I use any vegetables, just bones and cartilage and tendons. Served with nothing but minced garlic and a shot of vodka. Maybe a few shots of vodka. Georgians would know what I mean.

bogdonkey
06-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Would these methods be safe with the use of bear bones?

Thanks

35rem
07-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Yes, since the bones are roasted and cooked very well there is no risk.

Would these methods be safe with the use of bear bones?

Thanks

Hanrahan
10-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Just made some venison broth. There are some key things that will help.

1. Break open the bones. Use an axe or something to crack them in half. I don't get too carried away with getting every last bit of meat off the bone specifically because I like to make broth with them

2. Cook them at 400 degrees. Length of time is up to you. I only do them for about half an hour. I don't put any salt or seasoning on them. You can use whatever trimmings you want from your animal too.

3. Prepare your vegetables and spices. I use a couple onions, carrots, celery, a few crushed garlic cloves and some peppercorns. I cut the vegetables in rather large pieces. I also don't roast them. No particular reason, just never have. I don't put salt in yet, because you run the risk of making it too salty as it reduces.

4. Put it all in a pot. I put bones and vegetables in at the same time. Add enough COLD water to cover everything by an inch or two.

5. Cover and heat slowly. This is important, and also why you use cold water. It brings the flavour out of the bones better.

6. Once your pot is just near boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer. You don't really want much bubbling. Just enough heat so you can see the liquid moving a bit. Hard boiling or too much heat will give you a cloudy broth.

7. I simmered mine for about 8 hrs. It depends how big a batch you're doing. Taste a piece of the meat and a carrot or something. If it's lost all it's flavour, you've got all the goodness out of it and you're done.

8. Use tongs to get the big bits out.

9. Using cheesecloth and a seive, strain the rest of the liquid.

10. At this point you can salt and reduce the rest of the liquid to taste.

11. Once you have the flavour you want, put the pot outside or in the fridge to cool overnight. Don't put it outside if it will freeze or animals will get to it obviously.

12. In the morning you'll notice a hard layer of white rendered fat on top. Scoop it out. Your stock will (probably) have turned to a jelly like consistancy. This is good. It means you've got what you wanted out of the bones.

13. Heat the stock again and it will turn back to liquid. I then strain it through cheesecloth twice more.

14. From here, I heat the stock again and preseure can it. Looking online I got 11 psi for 30 min and used that. You can freeze it too.

If I could figure out how to post pictures I could show you the finished product. It's the colour of real maple syrup and tastes like buttery liquid gold. It's really easy. Sounds like a lot, but it's not much actual work. Mostly waiting. Once I started doing it I realized that there was no excuse not to. One more way to use the whole animal.

Hanrahan
10-29-2014, 06:35 PM
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah197/hanrahan1/imagejpg1_zps8eeb5875.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/hanrahan1/media/imagejpg1_zps8eeb5875.jpg.html)

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah197/hanrahan1/imagejpg2_zps3499da2e.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/hanrahan1/media/imagejpg2_zps3499da2e.jpg.html)

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah197/hanrahan1/imagejpg3_zpsda0b949a.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/hanrahan1/media/imagejpg3_zpsda0b949a.jpg.html)

Brez
10-29-2014, 06:41 PM
the only thing I might add to Hanrahan's recipe is maybe add some apple cider vinegar (couple of ounces) as from what I've read on the net, it helps draw the nutrients out of the bones. I made some elk bone broth couple of weeks ago and I don't mind it but some find there is a different taste that they are not crazy about. Oh, I freeze mine - easier than canning.

hare_assassin
10-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Sometimes I think my wife would be happier if I left the meat in the woods and just brought the bones out. Bone based soup is a daily menu here when we have them. I save deer and bear shanks bone in for the same use.

We love our bone broth around our household, too. Deer, moose, grouse and of course... hare. I use it as a base for so many things... Soups, stews, sauces, risotto, caseroles, etc.

This is one of the main reasons why the gutless method sucks.

MB_Boy
12-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Saw this yesterday and it reminded me of this thread.

Bone Broth = Superfood ??

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/bone-broth-super-food-27301628

Gateholio
12-03-2014, 02:51 PM
We love our bone broth around our household, too. Deer, moose, grouse and of course... hare. I use it as a base for so many things... Soups, stews, sauces, risotto, caseroles, etc.

This is one of the main reasons why the gutless method sucks.

Nonsense. If you do the gutless method you can still take the carcass bones if you want. Even if you don't take them you still have the leg bones, which are the most prized stock making bones. Rib bones will make stock but not like leg bones.

Getbent
01-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Bingo...big stock pot, continually skim and add water as it reduces...
you can always reduce later after you strain.

treehugger
01-02-2015, 02:00 PM
On a side note... we shucked a few hundred prawns this past summer and turned the heads into a seafood stock. The whole house smelled pretty seafoody for a while but the stock was delicious! Won't be throwing those away again.

jeff341
01-02-2015, 02:14 PM
All of these are great methods. Only way to really improve them is to add red wine. Lots of it. I make a large quantity of bone broth regularly by roasting the bones really well. Lots of colour equals lots of flavour. Also, tomato paste is a good addition to add colour and richness to the final product. All the vegetables mentioned are great, I also add a good amount of fresh herbs, rosemary, sage and thyme as well as bay leaves. If you want a really nice finished product, add about 4L of cheap red wine (as well as 4L of water). As the broth reduces, the red wine adds a ton of density and richness to the final sauce. Like mentioned, strain at least three or four times to keep it refined. If you are cooking for just one or two people, freeze the finished reduced broth in ice cube trays so when you're almost done roasting or cooking dinner, toss a couple of cubes into the pan, add some butter and some fresh chopped herbs and the sauce will be restaurant quality.

jeff341
01-02-2015, 02:16 PM
On a side note... we shucked a few hundred prawns this past summer and turned the heads into a seafood stock. The whole house smelled pretty seafoody for a while but the stock was delicious! Won't be throwing those away again.

If you did this again but added a few more vegetables and a few potatoes and cream, you would have a fantastic bisque! Puree the soup with a hand blender or in batches in a processor and then strain through a fine mesh sieve.....adjust the seasoning and you wont be disappointed.