PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting Flight Question

khoffnbud
02-24-2014, 05:27 PM
OK, so planning a fly in for stones to be on ground for opening day, now i'm not gonna hear back if my vacation time is approved or not from work until beginning to mid april....am i gonna be screwed trying to book a flight then? Is that too late, should i be on my employer to get answers asap?

BiG Boar
02-24-2014, 05:35 PM
I think you'll be fine. Popular lakes will be an issue, as they may be taken already.

khoffnbud
02-24-2014, 05:51 PM
good to hear, i would hate to have done hours upon hours of research and google earth time and have to re-evalute last mionute.

BiG Boar
02-24-2014, 06:01 PM
There is always a chance you will be re-evaluating last minute. I would always go with a back up plan. Never know when you get there and find out there are already 10 people at the lake who came in, in a private plane. If you wait till the 15th, most of the hunters are gone.

spear
02-24-2014, 07:33 PM
... If you wait till the 15th, most of the hunters are gone.

good advice I think, only been once but we went later, saw no one and no signs of people

MadCat
02-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Depends on who you are flying with but might be worth calling and booking something with the option to change dates if your allowed. Then you can get the discount for booking early. Worth checking out anyways.

khoffnbud
02-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys, with my work rotation and available dates to request vaca time, it's either right around August 1 or around sept1 being next available time.

Everett
02-24-2014, 07:56 PM
I have never booked more than a month out and never had a problem getting dates on any of our fly ins but we never go till at least 15th of August. I have actually rescheduled 4 to 5 days out with no problem.

Trekker
02-24-2014, 08:08 PM
you should be fine. maybe call the company your going with and see what they say.

kayjayess
02-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Yes same. I have booked later without issue. The operators are running dawn til dusk and can do multiple trips in a day. Flexibility is key as weather can always affect departure and return dates. In other words always give yourself a few days to get in and a few extra to get out. Especially if in the mountains. Someone said earlier to have a back up plan if not two. I have showed up and said take me to Lake A and the operator informs you there are already 3 groups in there. So I would have a couple of back up plans in my back pocket for that very distinct possibility.

Good luck