PDA

View Full Version : ORV legislation will keep B.C.'s backcountry safe

tightgrouper
02-24-2014, 04:38 PM
What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/02/orv-legislation-will-keep-bcs-backcountry-safe.html

I think it could be a good thing.

Sorry if this is a re-post.

Stresd
02-24-2014, 04:55 PM
As an 8 wheel argo owner. It Sucks. Strictly another money grab.

dakoda62
02-24-2014, 05:03 PM
A money grab nothing else.

t-rexer
02-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Bull that's all it's is. Why would I pay to register and insure a vehicle I can't drive on the road? f that. 80% of the fsr here on the island are gated anyway so that means I would be incriminating myself by showing a plate or decal. I don't think so bud! Ill just wait until I get caught and pay the fine it would probably be cheaper than the insurance.
Who would even police this? I can't even tell you the last time I saw a conservation officer in the bush

igojuone
02-24-2014, 06:04 PM
"VICTORIA - Bill 13, the Off Road Vehicle Act introduced today, promises certainty, safety and regulatory structure for thousands of off-road enthusiasts." from the BC Newsroom somehow "promises" a few things they cannot promise, namely safety and certainty. Just how will this make me "safe".

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Money grab? They will be registered with a plate the same way a snowmobile is. That costs a whole 10 bucks.

People spend $15,000 on a fancy quad but can't afford $10 to register it?

Everett
02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Cash grab that will not do damn thing because most of the problem at least in the Kootenays is Albertans so unless it requires them to plate up in BC isn't going to do shit to protect alpine areas.

rocksteady
02-24-2014, 06:18 PM
I am looking forward to it, so I can get better details for the COS when I catch dumbasses ripping around in alpine, fish bearing streams or in vehicle closures....

elkeater
02-24-2014, 06:21 PM
it may make some people more carful of there jackass ways if theres a plate. but i do see the problem with enforcment. No c.o. out there so youll just get non-enthusiats reporting just because they dont like orv's

BRvalley
02-24-2014, 06:31 PM
we don't need anymore BS laws to babysit Darwin award winners and I don't believe a plate will stop anybody, who would actually enforce it? and who can actually catch accurate numbers off a tiny plate ripping around mountain terrain? or burnin down an fsr 60km++

there is a problem with asshat riders, but this isn't going to fix much....the authorities should pay for more resources in the bush, blitz weekends in popular spots or eco sensitive area and give out big fines, make a real difference

Steeleco
02-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Can't believe I'm thinking of agreeing with FD LOL With one exception, the fee and plate idea would be a good one, if there was enough enforcement to warrant it. We all know there isn't. As such it's a cash grab.

Rubicon500
02-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Just another cash grab , soon we are gonna have liscence plates on our pedal bikes , skate boards , kids scooters just so cops can see which ones are stolen . Lisence/registration havent stopped ppl from driving like dipshits in vehicles , or ppl from stealing them so WTF is it going to do for ORV ? Its like the gun regitsry , just a giant effin joke this is no different. And like anything with the government its going to cost more than $10 i can garetnee that.

crazy ducker
02-24-2014, 06:39 PM
i heard $49 bucks

Confused
02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Its not the 10 bucks everyone should be worried about.........it is the pst! Be prepared to buck up the sales tax if you purchased it in alberta or used in BC, unless of course you can prove you paid said tax on the sale.

there was talk of not enforcing this off the bat, but I dont see anything in the press release.

srupp
02-24-2014, 06:51 PM
YUP BS $$$$$$$$$$ money grab...it will not do anything to make it safer...total BS..

steven

recoil
02-24-2014, 06:57 PM
There is already a CPIC website for tracking stolen machines, I agree cash grab, more enforcement is what is needed and mandatory minimum penalties for those caught in possession of stolen property.

Everett
02-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Its not the 10 bucks everyone should be worried about.........it is the pst! Be prepared to buck up the sales tax if you purchased it in alberta or used in BC, unless of course you can prove you paid said tax on the sale.

there was talk of not enforcing this off the bat, but I dont see anything in the press release.

Best post on the thread this is the big cash grab so when you buy a 10 year old quad you will be told you have to pay PST plus reg plus transfer fee. Oh and you can bet they will tell you how much your 10 year old quad is worth for tax purposes 5 times its value.

Hunt-4-Life
02-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Yep, tax grab. Anyone wanna buy a quad? JK....

aggiehunter
02-24-2014, 08:05 PM
still waiting for snowmobile liability to make the playing field a little more level...

Whonnock Boy
02-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Love it! A lot easier to report those who disregard road closures, tear up alpine, time restrictions... etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately the few bad apples ruined it for everyone. It is doubly unfortunate that there is more than a few bad apples when it comes to common sense, respect for the resource ATV usage.

Mephizto
02-24-2014, 08:25 PM
If i have to register my ATV, I will be sure to hit the nearest mud hole and cover my plates in mud.

squamishhunter
02-24-2014, 08:32 PM
No thanks. Catch me.

Drillbit
02-24-2014, 08:39 PM
I'll just get a sticker made up.

Barracuda
02-24-2014, 08:40 PM
If i have to register my ATV, I will be sure to hit the nearest mud hole and cover my plates in mud.

I'll just get a sticker made up.

Alteration, removal or obliteration of
vehicle identification number

12 (1) A person must not alter, remove or obliterate a vehicle identification number on an off-road vehicle.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who alters, removes or obliterates a vehicle identification number on an off-road vehicle during regular maintenance of the off-road vehicle, or during any repair or other work carried out on the off-road vehicle for a legitimate purpose, including a modification of the off-road vehicle.

Alteration and fictitious use of number plates or documents

13 (1) A person must not do any of the following:
(a) alter, obliterate or repaint a figure or letter
(i) on a number plate, decal or sticker issued under this Act, or
(ii) on a certificate of registration, permit or other document issued under this Act;
(b) use or operate on Crown land or prescribed private land an off-road vehicle that has displayed on it
(i)a number plate, decal or sticker issued under this Act, or a document referred to in paragraph (a) (ii), on which a figure or letter has been altered, obliterated or repainted, or
(ii) a number plate, decal, sticker or other document that has not been issued under this Act but that is of a colour or design resembling or purporting to be a number plate, decal or sticker issued under this Act or a document referred to in paragraph (a) (ii);
(c) while using or operating an off-road vehicle on Crown land or prescribed private land, use or be in possession of a fictitious or invalid number plate, decal or sticker, or a certificate of registration, permit or other document, purporting to be issued under this Act.
(2) Subsection (1) (b) applies to a number plate, decal, sticker or other document issued by a jurisdiction other than British Columbia in respect of an off-road vehicle.

Barracuda
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm#section12

Gateholio
02-24-2014, 08:50 PM

12 (1) A person must not alter, remove or obliterate a vehicle identification number on an off-road vehicle.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who alters, removes or obliterates a vehicle identification number on an off-road vehicle during regular maintenance of the off-road vehicle, or during any repair or other work carried out on the off-road vehicle for a legitimate purpose, including a modification of the off-road vehicle.

(ii) on a certificate of registration, permit or other document issued under this Act;
(b) use or operate on Crown land or prescribed private land an off-road vehicle that has displayed on it
(i) a number plate, decal or sticker issued under this Act, or a document referred to in paragraph (a) (ii), on which a figure or letter has been altered, obliterated or repainted, or
(ii) a number plate, decal, sticker or other document that has not been issued under this Act but that is of a colour or design resembling or purporting to be a number plate, decal or sticker issued under this Act or a document referred to in paragraph (a) (ii);
(c) while using or operating an off-road vehicle on Crown land or prescribed private land, use or be in possession of a fictitious or invalid number plate, decal or sticker, or a certificate of registration, permit or other document, purporting to be issued under this Act.
(2) Subsection (1) (b) applies to a number plate, decal, sticker or other document issued by a jurisdiction other than British Columbia in respect of an off-road vehicle.

VIN isn't a license plate. It's the number permanently attached to a vehicle.

Mephizto
02-24-2014, 09:16 PM

(i)a number plate, decal or sticker issued under this Act, or a document referred to in paragraph (a) (ii), on which a figure or letter has been altered, obliterated or repainted, or

I will not alter, obliterate or repaint a figure or letter.
I will not stop and clean my plates off each time I hit a mud hole.

Barracuda
02-24-2014, 09:17 PM
I took this as meaning the license plate or paperwork as the license plate and paperwork is issued under this act perhaps im looking at it incorrectly

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2014, 09:32 PM

The current sales tax law requires you to pay 7% PST on a used ATV already, even if you buy it privately. Most people don't know this, and they end up being tax cheats when they fail to remit the required 7%.

Who were those people that voted to repeal the HST again?

Doostien
I once stopped a dirt biker who was trespassing on my property. He got off and without saying anything started swinging at me.

I couldn't give a description as he was wearing a helmet and riding gear. As well the description "a honda dirtbike" doesn't leave the cops much to go on. If he had a plate on that bike he certainly would have seen his day in court, instead he rode free.

We've all seen the damage off-road vehicles cause, and yes, they mostly are the 'bad apples'. Catching these bad apples would be greatly simplified if they had plates. Unfortunately we can't just slap numbers on the machines of the 'bad apples' we need to put them on all of them.

BC is behind every district in North America when it comes to licencing/registration or ORVs, and yes, that includes Mexico. I'll gladly put a plate on my ATV. I'm tired of seeing people raping our back country in the name of 'fun'.

Gateholio
I guess I only saw the top part of your post? weird. Anyway the VIN is the permanent number, the number plate is what we call a "license plate" SO you can't alter the plates. But you are allowed to get them dirty.

I question if this legislation will have any merit whatsoever. I can see it working for tracking stolen stuff and for reporting irresponsible users but I fear it won't be used like this and instead just become an opportunity to write tickets to otherwise normal people.

Improve safety? BS. Safety is a mindset, and it's virtually impossible to enforce in the backcountry. Did anyone feel safer after getting your boater card? Or just feel like you were out $20 for a silly quiz.

One Shot
02-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Yup, The same thing goes for boats. Buy a boat privately and once you go to Services Canada and get the Registration Number changed into your name you will get a bill from the Prov Gov for taxes 1-2 yrs later.

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Yup, The same thing goes for boats. Buy a boat privately and once you go to Services Canada and get the Registration Number changed into your name you will get a bill from the Prov Gov for taxes 1-2 yrs later.

It doesn't matter what you buy privately, the law states you must remit 7% sales tax to the prov govt. Binos, box of ammo, a shovel, rifle. If it's taxable new, it is taxable used.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/topic/BED47DA4EBDBA60A5F28622B8B2E1451/uploads/whats_taxable_whats_not.pdf

"The PST will generally apply to: The purchase or lease of new and used goods in British Columbia unless specifically exempted;"

aggiehunter
02-24-2014, 10:01 PM
we have had rash's of them being stolen...whether for parts or whatever..should be fun seeing those guys register them with no NVIS or bill of sale.

srupp
02-24-2014, 10:05 PM
I honestly never thought about selling used stuff privately..and that 7 % is due in taxes to the govt..just never had it charged..nor have I.

..errt if I would have ever sold anything........

keithb7
02-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Anyone heard of laws enforcing helmet use? One more thing to have to try and take off before you pull up your rifle! I am not against helmets. One saved me from further injury a few times at least when I was dirt-biking. But crawling though the bush at 5 to 10 km an hour deer hunting? I am reluctant to say I need a helmet.

Big Lew
02-24-2014, 10:32 PM
I agree with "rocksteady", "Whonnock Boy", and "Doostien" in regard to making it easier to identify those bad apples, but I also feel it's just another way for the government to continue underfunding the conservation programs by relying on citizens to report offenders rather then having adequate CO representation in the field.
And as "Gatehouse" mentioned, safety is a mindset which legislation doesn't necessarily improve greatly. An exception would be the regulating of age for motorized bikes, quads, snow machines, and boats etc. Helmets are another example of making rules without adequate ability or incentive to enforce them. I've ridden a bicycle all over this Province, and although I personally wear a helmet, I constantly see a huge number of riders that don't. The fine if caught is small, and it's highly unlikely a cop is going to stop you...it's not a priority in their overworked agenda.

Singleshotneeded
02-24-2014, 11:08 PM
money grab...and you'll get tree shaggers reporting that quadders did this or that, whatever they can make up

Benthos
02-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Thank your bc liberals for this. Just wait until the annual fees start rolling in!

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Thank your bc liberals for this. Just wait until the annual fees start rolling in!

There are no annual fees.

This legislation came about as a result of lobbying mostly from ATV associations.

russm
02-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Just another cash grab , soon we are gonna have liscence plates on our pedal bikes , skate boards , kids scooters just so cops can see which ones are stolen . Lisence/registration havent stopped ppl from driving like dipshits in vehicles , or ppl from stealing them so WTF is it going to do for ORV ? Its like the gun regitsry , just a giant effin joke this is no different. And like anything with the government its going to cost more than $10 i can garetnee that.

People should have to register and insure there selves if they want to ride a bicycle in traffic, if you think you're a vehicle you should have to pay the same fees to be on the road.

coyotebc
02-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Money grab
Once you register it, every time you sell it the buyer will pay pst on it just like a used car

The guys doing anything illegal will just have mud or something covering their plates if they have them at all

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Money grab
Once you register it, every time you sell it the buyer will pay pst on it just like a used car

The guys doing anything illegal will just have mud or something covering their plates if they have them at all

It's already the law that PST must be paid on ALL sales of used quads. The new legislation does not change that.

coyotebc
02-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Keep flogging that dead horse
So instead of the pst being charged when you sell your used quad it would be the hst

russm
02-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Anyone heard of laws enforcing helmet use? One more thing to have to try and take off before you pull up your rifle! I am not against helmets. One saved me from further injury a few times at least when I was dirt-biking. But crawling though the bush at 5 to 10 km an hour deer hunting? I am reluctant to say I need a helmet.

5-10 kmph head on rock action could do some damage, I used my bike in the fall deer hunting and didn't wear a lid but definetly was conscious of how I was riding, it was toned down a whole lot from just going out for a rip lol.

Mephizto
02-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Money grab

What is so illegal about getting your ATV dirty? The only thing I will refuse to do is wipe off my plates after each mud hole or trail i go through. I do not clean my ATV until i get home or at a car wash.

Since this will be a law now, I will register my ATV to keep enjoying one of my favorite past times.

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Keep flogging that dead horse
So instead of the pst being charged when you sell your used quad it would be the hst

The legislation does not change the amount of sales tax payable. Thus, how is the legislation a "money grab" for sales taxes as you've labelled it?

2chodi
02-25-2014, 07:18 AM
The legislation does not change the amount of sales tax payable. Thus, how is the legislation a "money grab" for sales taxes as you've labelled it?

Who has ever voluntarily submitted the 12% due on a private sale of an ORV? With this legislation, if a purchaser decides to register, the tax will be collected. Tax grab or not, it will be the new reality.

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2014, 07:53 AM
So as long as you can commit tax fraud, the law is okay.

Alright, that solves that issue.

2chodi
02-25-2014, 08:16 AM

I don't think I ever implied that, but I will admit that it rubs me wrong that we have to repeatedly pay sales tax on vehicles etc every time they are sold. It's nothing new - I don't like it.

steel_ram
02-25-2014, 09:47 AM
People should have to register and insure there selves if they want to ride a bicycle in traffic, if you think you're a vehicle you should have to pay the same fees to be on the road.

Hey bike hater. Cyclists pay their taxes just like very one else. Most have drivers licenses. What part of your MV insurance do you think actually pays for roads? Little if any. Your premiums are paying for all those problems caused by idiots on the roads.

Big Lew
02-25-2014, 10:01 AM

The authorities and law makers would have done it long ago if they thought they could get away with it. It would be political suicide....imagine demanding all the little kids riding to school, to the park, or around their neighbourhood having to buy insurance, or to register their tricycles...come on now! Then consider the backlash even from poverty groups where a bicycle is their only means of transport and they have no resource to pay for insurance.

Walksalot
02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
We see idiots driving on the roads and we see idiots riding atvs in the woods. This will not do a heck of a lot for safety but it will do a lot for accountability. With a license comes identification and with identification comes accountability.

wrenchhead
02-25-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm all for it, I have a quad and use it as a tool to get places without beating on my truck.

Gateholio
02-25-2014, 10:26 AM
We see idiots driving on the roads and we see idiots riding atvs in the woods. This will not do a heck of a lot for safety but it will do a lot for accountability. With a license comes identification and with identification comes accountability.

If only that were the truth.....but I just don't see it happening often, because an investigation uses up too manny resources. Unless caught on video , maybe.

I see this legislation being used to pick low hanging fruit, just like the gun registry. With the added bonus of enforcing BCs unjust sales tax laws.

Ltbullken
02-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Until we know costs, hard to comment but the idea of certainty and safety is pure shyte as far as I'm concerned. So what does registration do? Does it give more insurance to the user? I am a BCWF member so already have insurance. Having a plate does allow me to take down a plate number when someone drives into a no-go area of which I see plenty of evidence during hunting season! :mad:

We'll see....

BCBRAD
02-25-2014, 10:35 AM

I use a half helmet, doesn't interfere with shooting a rifle. Helmet is required now while operating an ORV on a FSR (I've been stopped on a FSR checked for helmet and insurance by a CO), sounds like that is extended to all lands except private. The license plate will do little to prevent anything, the LEO pretty much has to see the offense, reported offenses (phoning in a license number) are basically heresay and treated as such. Registration is a grab and the tax man will benefit as mentioned in previous posts.

2stroked
02-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Defiantly a tax grab. The tax police will put any value that they want on your quad and if it was bought privately you will have to pay 12% tax on it. They say only $10, but wait till it is passed and see how much it will be. They are already talking about different classes of machines, so prices will be different. There is no cure for stupid, so having a plate and paying a bunch of money won't help.

goatdancer
02-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Garage sales happen most weekends once the weather improves. Since the sellers don't charge or submit PST, what we have is a province of tax cheats. No wonder our government is so hard up for cash................

MOWITCH SLAYER
02-25-2014, 10:46 AM
After having one of my quads stolen, I welcome the registration part of the bill. And i like being able to identify the quaders who are ripping up the alpine. The extra expence is a different story but you got to take the good with the bad. Cause it is not going to keep me out of the bush

Citori54
02-25-2014, 10:54 AM
I am in total favour. This initiative was at the request of many of the ATV and outdoor clubs. It will bring some accountability to the sport. It is a one time $48 fee.

rocksteady
02-25-2014, 10:58 AM
reported offenses (phoning in a license number) are basically heresay and treated as such..

Just this past fall, observed a guy in the road closure in a truck, took video on a phone, got plate number, sent the info to the COS, complete with a Google Earth map plotting the location of where he was, as well as the road closure sign, CO called him in for a meeting, laid the pictures and map on teh table, wrote the guy a ticket, no contest..

Thats not hearsay...

Remeber the old Observe, Record, Report Program... It still works... Just with different technology...

hare_assassin
02-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Open-face. I killed all kinds of animals with my helmet on last fall.

huntcoop
02-25-2014, 11:29 AM
It will be a tax grab plain and simple.

BCBRAD
02-25-2014, 11:34 AM
You did more than phone in a license number. People who don't like you and/or your activities will phone your license number in, the 'authorities' take this with a grain of salt. The CO put the shit to the guy and he folded, I don't condone illegal activities as do most of us.

I got to tell you a story, about 25 years ago there was a couple (appeared to man and wife) sitting in the Ritz Bakery in PG having coffee. A guy walks in all badged up with Omineca Patrol crests on his clothing ( this was a time when gas was cheaper and citizens were out patrolling the bush looking for offenders, on their own dime) anyway the guy got up and gave him an nice right upper cut, dude goes down like a sack of shit and stays down. Guy sits down and continues drinking coffee until the cops showed up. Obviously there was some misgivings between the two. Most people want to remain nameless and faceless, not this guy however.

Darksith
02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
all one has to do is look to some of the states to the south to see what will happen. First it will be registration, then it will be user fees, then it will be laws requiring helmets, training course to ride, restrictions, seat belts where applicable. It won't stop the bad apples from being morons, it won't protect anything, and you won't catch more morons. I have no problem with registration, but I do have a problem with the next steps

Darksith
02-25-2014, 12:40 PM
I am in total favour. This initiative was at the request of many of the ATV and outdoor clubs. It will bring some accountability to the sport. It is a one time $48 fee.
the atv clubs...slow and boring. No thanks

BCBRAD
02-25-2014, 12:46 PM
the atv clubs...slow and boring. No thanks

Yup, organize the fun right out of it.

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Garage sales happen most weekends once the weather improves. Since the sellers don't charge or submit PST, what we have is a province of tax cheats. No wonder our government is so hard up for cash................

That's true. The purchasers of the goods are required to remit PST on those items.

Now, if we had kept the HST, there would be no tax payable as tax was only payable if the vendor was a registrant (eg a second hand store). Garage Sale Gramma wasn't registered so purchasers could buy second hand goods HST free and had no requirement to self-assess and remit sales tax.

Willy VanderScam didn't explain that to you, did he?

2chodi
02-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you bought a vehicle, boat or aircraft at a garage sale under HST, you still would have had to submit the 12% voluntarily?

This is a legitimate question, not a dig - you seem to have some tax expertise.

That's true. The purchasers of the goods are required to remit PST on those items.

Now, if we had kept the HST, there would be no tax payable as tax was only payable if the vendor was a registrant (eg a second hand store). Garage Sale Gramma wasn't registered so purchasers could buy second hand goods HST free and had no requirement to self-assess and remit sales tax.

Willy VanderScam didn't explain that to you, did he?

xcaribooer
02-25-2014, 02:01 PM
as long as my BCWF liability insurance is still sufficient( I generally only use my quad in hunting season) then I don't mind a one time regi fee if it helps crack down on the scum bags stealing atvs. It should make selling a stolen atv much harder and if you are caught riding one that you do not have regi for then you will have some explaining do.

Fishgutz
02-25-2014, 04:13 PM
They don't need this new pile of crap! They just need to enforce the old act that this is designed to replace.

Barracuda
02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
old act didn't cover everything this does this new one has some teeth .

Doostien
02-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Just this past fall, observed a guy in the road closure in a truck, took video on a phone, got plate number, sent the info to the COS, complete with a Google Earth map plotting the location of where he was, as well as the road closure sign, CO called him in for a meeting, laid the pictures and map on teh table, wrote the guy a ticket, no contest..

Thats not hearsay...

Remeber the old Observe, Record, Report Program... It still works... Just with different technology...

The video man! I finally got a smart phone, after years of the old pay and talk. I've started recording video of most of the encounters I have in the bush and on my property. Hard to argue with a video.

rocksteady
02-25-2014, 07:19 PM
The video man! I finally got a smart phone, after years of the old pay and talk. I've started recording video of most of the encounters I have in the bush and on my property. Hard to argue with a video.

Embrace the technology....

horshur
02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Embrace the technology....

there has to be forensic evidence in order for a conviction that has been obtained legaly......years ago I watched a person commit an offense from a distance....reported it..helped the CO try to gather forensic evidence which we he could not find...there was no fine or conviction laid because my observation is only circumstantial........

basic is that if some body reports it will not stand up without collaborating evidence that must be obtained by some form of law enforcement......

the whole world watched live as Stanley cup rioters trashed the city....how many convictions?????

a forum with how many gun owning members cannot see the irony that registration will do nothing but cost us and the government more money......putting one more stumbling block in the way of outdoor recreation.

Steelwheels
02-26-2014, 09:41 AM
It's already the law that PST must be paid on ALL sales of used quads. The new legislation does not change that.

I just did a trade.. New to me used quad for my old home Stereo Unit.. No $ transfer.. Equal value. "What Tax?"

Whiterock
02-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Im curious,if ICBC is handling the registration (for convience) does this mean we are forced to buy our liability insurence thru them? You know it will cost more. Also,,seeing as how quads will have reg, insurance, helmet,,can we ride on the road? Everyday I see E-bikes,,49cc pocket bikes,,motor assisted bicycles,,they arnt insured or registered,,or are they next? Speaking of next,,when are we forced to get a special liscence? I know my boating liscence made the world safer,,its just another tax grab!!

slowkey
02-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Helmet is required now while operating an ORV on a FSR (I've been stopped on a FSR checked for helmet and insurance by a CO), sounds like that is extended to all lands except private.

this has come up a couple of times and no you don't need a helmet for a 4 wheeled ORV on a FSR

". An ATV operator must hold a valid driver’s licence and carry a minimum of $200,000 third-party liability
insurance. Remember, safety helmets are mandatory when
operating two- and three-wheeled ATVs."

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/engineering/documents/brochures/Guide-for-Safe-Travel.pdf

Surrey Boy
02-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Since when has registration stopped criminality? If anything it makes more criminals through paperwork crimes.

bighornbob
02-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Look at your insurance papers. Your insurance is invalid if you are not wearing a helmet. Therfore if you are not wearing a helmet your insurance is invalid and you dont have insurance to be on a FSR, therefore you will be ticketed if stopped.

BHB

slowkey
02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
No the insurer will not cover you. Been on FSR and a CO didn't even care I had no helmet. If your on a gazette road then your going to need a helmet eg Kane Valley, Voight

rocksteady
02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Horshur said "there has to be forensic evidence in order for a conviction that has been obtained legaly......"...

A digital picture, in its hidden data, has all the forensics you need. Date/time/ gps co-ords, etc... Pretty hard to argue with a date time and gps location when you are accused of something, knowing full well you were there at that time..

sawmill
02-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Im curious,if ICBC is handling the registration (for convience) does this mean we are forced to buy our liability insurence thru them? You know it will cost more. Also,,seeing as how quads will have reg, insurance, helmet,,can we ride on the road? Everyday I see E-bikes,,49cc pocket bikes,,motor assisted bicycles,,they arnt insured or registered,,or are they next? Speaking of next,,when are we forced to get a special liscence? I know my boating liscence made the world safer,,its just another tax grab!!

Yeah,can I ride on the hiway if I have insurance,registration and a plate?If so then it`s gonna be

Rhino Rhino
It`s off to work I go............at least come spring.

Fisher-Dude
02-26-2014, 01:25 PM
No the insurer will not cover you. Been on FSR and a CO didn't even care I had no helmet. If your on a gazette road then your going to need a helmet eg Kane Valley, Voight

If you're on a maintained gazetted road, you're going to get a big ticket, helmet or not.

slowkey
02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
If you're on a maintained gazetted road, you're going to get a big ticket, helmet or not.

yep that is why your starting to see more FSRs in high use areas being gazetted. Gives the RCMP much better leverage against the yahoos.

But in regards to this legislation, is anyone really surprised? This has been talked about for the 2 or 3 years.

I'm I happy I have to register my 8yr old quad no but not surprised

I only hope that part of the registration fee would be given to Search and Rescue groups as they are the ones that have to clean up the mess of irresponsible ORV use

Sitkaspruce
02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Not sure what everyone is talking about "Gazetted Roads". Every road that permitted in the bush, whether FSR or road permit is gazetted. They are gazetted at 75m and the road can be built inside that 75 m.

Roads will either be private or crown, these regs will cover only roads on crown land. It is the Off Road Vehicle Act, so you will not be able to drive down the highway, but you can cross a highway with this stuff legally, but only cross.

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out and if it is just a money grab or if it does what it supposed to do. We as outdoors folks can either embrace this or not, but if we see asshats doing something where they are not supposed to and we have access to the plate, use it.

Cheers

SS

Gun Dog
02-26-2014, 03:51 PM
An exception would be the regulating of age for motorized bikes, quads, snow machines, and boats etc.What does age have to do with it? My nieces started riding ATVs when they were 5 and 6 (on private property). Once you get out of the Lower Mainland you see lots of kids riding dirt bikes and ATVs with their parents and learning to be responsible.

Gun Dog
02-26-2014, 03:53 PM
The whole idea of "registering my quad makes it less likely to be stolen" is unproven. Just like "registering my guns makes Canada safer".

Big Lew
02-26-2014, 06:05 PM
What does age have to do with it? My nieces started riding ATVs when they were 5 and 6 (on private property). Once you get out of the Lower Mainland you see lots of kids riding dirt bikes and ATVs with their parents and learning to be responsible.

This issue has been discussed before. I have no problem with responsible parents being present and teaching their young children to use dirt bikes and ATVs. I do have a problem with those parents that allow their young children to use dirt bikes and ATVs without supervision, especially on public or service roads shared with speeding vehicles and commercial traffic. As an example, last fall my wife and I witnessed very young boys on dirt bikes racing down a steep grade on a winding forestry road currently being used that day by logging trucks and other vehicles without any parents around at all.

Pete
02-26-2014, 06:46 PM
I think this is a good idea. I work range patrol an this will definitely make my job easier to identify trespassers and those that think it is cool to tear up our grass lands.... I am sick tired being told to F... off when I catch a dirt biker or an ATV off road on our range and have them peel away.

srupp
02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
hmmm announcement out in the Williams Lake paper..from the minister responsible...cost per vehicle..|" just under $50..." sounds like $49.99 money boondangle...gladly IF you can demonstrate it will make operations more safe?? or help recovery ??

crap

STEVEN

BimmerBob
02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
hmmm announcement out in the Williams Lake paper..from the minister responsible...cost per vehicle..|" just under $50..." sounds like $49.99 money boondangle...gladly IF you can demonstrate it will make operations more safe?? or help recovery ??

crap

STEVEN

Got that right Steven, and it is most likely $49.99 plus tax!

rocksteady
02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
So, answer me this....

Why is everyone so pissed about this, yet, when they brought in the stupidity rule about having a pleasure boat licence for any boat with a motor (including a Minn-kota electric) no one raised a fuss....

frenchbar
02-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Got that right Steven, and it is most likely $49.99 plus tax!

if it HELPS at all to catch the losers that destroy our grasslands its the Best thing that could happen imo..and hell whats 50 bucks .the price of a flat of beer..big deal ..responsible riders got nothing to fear..stick to the laws and your fine .

rocksteady
02-26-2014, 07:05 PM
if it HELPS at all to catch the losers that destroy our grasslands its the Best thing that could happen imo..and hell whats 50 bucks .the price of a flat of beer..big deal ..responsible riders got nothing to fear..stick to the laws and your fine .

Finally, someone who is looking at the glass half full attitude...if you do nothing wrong, nothing to fear.

$50 on a $10k quad over a 15 year amortization period..... Betchs more is wasted on Tims or UFC ppv by the group,

.300WSMImpact!
02-26-2014, 09:21 PM
I am looking forward to it, so I can get better details for the COS when I catch dumbasses ripping around in alpine, fish bearing streams or in vehicle closures....

exactly my thoughts, I caught guys driving in no motor vehicle zone all I could say is it was a polaris, so now I can give a plate number, its much better to protect wet lands and alpine

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2014, 06:55 AM
I believe this whole thing is about taxing used off road vehicles.cash grab pure and simple.

They are already taxable under current PST rules. There is no change whatsoever to tax rules. Used quads sold privately are subject to PST without this legislation.

I'll keep repeating this until you conspiracy theorists get it.

Iron Glove
02-27-2014, 09:52 AM
So, answer me this....
Why is everyone so pissed about this, yet, when they brought in the stupidity rule about having a pleasure boat licence for any boat with a motor (including a Minn-kota electric) no one raised a fuss....

Possibly because the Pleasure Craft Operator's Card was not a vessel registration / liscencing rule, it is an Operator's "rule" and there was a test involved. The ORV suggestion is simply registration of the vehicle, no competency test.
The PCOC has the possible benefit of ensuring a small amount of education, i.e. "safety" for the boat operators. That's a much easier sell - "Now all vessel operators will be tested for competency" sounds a lot better than "All ATV's will be registered for .............. ????" One of the original reasons for the PCOC was the number of accidents arising from youngsters operating PWC's.
Two totally different situatons, complicated by the fact that the PCOC is Federal, the ORV is Provincial.

Sitkaspruce
02-27-2014, 10:29 AM
So why does everyone bitch about the $49, but no one complains about the $$$ spent on our liability insurance and stupid "plate" fee every year for our vehicle and trailer insurance?? Is it because it is part of driving your vehicle and we just pay it?? I believe we pay more for our plate on our vehicle every year than the one time fee for our quads.

What is everyone afraid of with this Act??

Cheers

SS

Darksith
02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
So why does everyone bitch about the $49, but no one complains about the $$$ spent on our liability insurance and stupid "plate" fee every year for our vehicle and trailer insurance?? Is it because it is part of driving your vehicle and we just pay it?? I believe we pay more for our plate on our vehicle every year than the one time fee for our quads.

What is everyone afraid of with this Act??

Cheers

SS
this is just the prelude to things to come. Operators license will be next, then mandatory helmet and/or seatbelt rules will follow, then possibly the ban of rear seat mod in UTV's, restrictions to age of operation even if its a bike designed for kids...Like I said before, look to some of the US states and see what has happened there. We are walking that same path, it will happen! I have no problem with this rule, its the rules that logically (in governance eyes) come behind this one that are the problem

hart
02-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Just what the last couple of posters said. They'll keep the original fee low so people won't bitch too much. Once it's here the costs will rise. And you know how it is, user pay.

huntcoop
02-27-2014, 04:21 PM
...What is everyone afraid of with this Act??...

Mandatory helmets for one, tax implications and especially the regulations that WILL come down the pipe as Darksith has pointed out.

Grizzloonly
02-27-2014, 04:40 PM
As has been said by some already, most changes are not changes. PST was always to be paid on transfers of used. It is difficult to ride in B.C. without using FSRs. To ride FSRs liability insurance is mandatory and insurers insist on helmets. Also to ride FSRs you must possess a valid driver's licence, which is an operator's licence.

I am a proponent of this, it might have some hiccups along the way, but that is what legislative readings are about. Your input can still have some impact, it is not law yet. The ORV community has been involved and pushing for this for many years.

burger
02-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Most on here are right. It will only be a stepping stone to squeeze more money from the general public. It is nothing more than a tax to add to the already huge amount we pay.

Summed up, the average Canadian family faced a tax bill of $30,792 in 2011 against income of $74,233. That means 41.5 per cent of the family’s budget went to paying for government. For perspective, 33.6 per cent of the budget went to paying for food, clothing, and shelter combined. Indeed, families now pay more in taxes that they do for basic necessities.

Yup we need more fees?? Get the Reg. plates made up ,we pay for the cost of the plate, which I agree gives people the ability to identify trouble but we all( or at least we all should) know that this is just a jump off point to more revenue streams for the government.

There will come a point when we cant afford to pay for essentials for life as we will be paying so much in tax. Sad reality is civil unrest most likely and then all the people who just sat there and didn't voice their displeasure will be the first crying foul.

Iron Glove
02-27-2014, 04:59 PM
OK, so what logical things can be done to help curb the irresponsible use ( by a minority ) of ORV's ?
Registration might help in recovery / return of a lost or stolen vehicle. But that can also be accomplished by having identi dots and such on the vehicle.
Having plates will help in identifying miscreants but the odds are that those types will remove or muddy up their plates anyways.
Compulsory insurance doesn't stop someone from being an idiot, it just means that some innocent bystander might be able to sue.
Mandatory helmets, I guess that is probably a no brainer, it will prevent / reduce injuries.
My biggest fear is that if the ORV Community isn't seen to be proactive then the Gov't. will become active. I also fear the closure of trails, FSR's, and other areas to ORV use if we don't do our best to improve our image.
I'm always reminded about the guy down the road who was bombing down Lawless after midnight, drunk as a skunk. He went off the road, lots of ATV damage and he was banged up pretty good. He walked 17 km. for help. The next day he rides up with another 24 pack of beer. I smiled and said "isn't that what got you into trouble in the first place ??"

frenchbar
02-27-2014, 05:09 PM
if you can own and operate an ORV..you can surely pay a few bucks for licencing ect ...some of you sound like its the end of the world..and if you dont like it ..dont own or operate 1 ..pretty simple..

widger
02-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Just a query. Does anyone know how much a ticket is being caught on an FSR without the insurance and helmet is? I only ask as I have never in 7 years seen a CO on an FSR in the PG and north area and would be suprised if they stopped me and then issued me a ticket, so I thought I would see if anyone here knows?

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
As has been said by some already, most changes are not changes. PST was always to be paid on transfers of used. It is difficult to ride in B.C. without using FSRs. To ride FSRs liability insurance is mandatory and insurers insist on helmets. Also to ride FSRs you must possess a valid driver's licence, which is an operator's licence.

I am a proponent of this, it might have some hiccups along the way, but that is what legislative readings are about. Your input can still have some impact, it is not law yet. The ORV community has been involved and pushing for this for many years.

Quit muddying the water with well-reasoned facts. It dampens the hysteria.

curt
02-27-2014, 05:27 PM
this will change nothing but put more money in the hands of our government to wrongfully spend that is it...period! cash grab 150%

srupp
02-27-2014, 05:50 PM
hmmm let me get this right..some asshats are doing stupid illegal dangerous stunts?? and IM being penalized with $50 for their actions??hmmm go after the asshats...don't financially harass me for their illegal actions..seems to me I read it was close to $300 fine for NOT having the new license...as if our conservation officers don't have enough to do already..and the 4 officers on general duty in the pond on any given shift by the RCMP..Don't have time tom even attend non injury MVA'S

SHEER BS...

srr

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2014, 06:05 PM
How much money does the govt stand to make on a $48 licensing fee after the cost of administration and the plate is deducted? I expect nil. Money grab? Nice catch phrase but not applicable in this instance.

Whiterock
02-27-2014, 06:21 PM
I doubt its the liscencing fee the Govt is after. I think they have found a way to collect the sales tax on privately traded ORVs. More for them to suck out of the public and then waste,,,just my opinion.

keithb7
02-27-2014, 06:28 PM
I heard on the TV news that there was an estimated 200,000 OHV's in BC. 200,000 x $48 registration fee (if every single one was registered) = $9.6 million. That should get us some more CO's and up the policing out there in the bush. Let's assume the average CO makes $80K a year, plus pension & benefits, add another $40 k a year. Assume all the tools, uniforms, vehicles, fire arms, supplies, fuel ect costs about $25K a year. So now we are up to $165 K a year to keep one CO out there policing. Let's call it $200K a year...The guy needs a 4x4, a nice ATV, a snowmobile, a jet boat too. 48 more CO's out there patrolling for one year adds up to $9.6 million. So what do we do the year after that? We all know very well that of the potential $9.6 M in revenue created, a small portion of it will go back into the OHV community. The rest goes into general tax revenue, it always does. What I wonder is, assume we actually get 10 more CO's in all of BC. Do all the CO's write $2 M worth of tickets and fines a year, to cover the new added expenses of 10 more CO's? I would expect there would be a ton of pissed off outdoor enthusiasts out there! Like there isn't now? LOL.

Piperdown
02-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Man spring bear cant come quick enough, you are all starting to sound like my wife at a certain time of the month :)

frenchbar
02-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Man spring bear cant come quick enough, you are all starting to sound like my wife at a certain time of the month :) more like all month ..:mrgreen:

Surrey Boy
02-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Registration leads to taxation and confiscation, every time.

Now excuse me while I hold a funeral for my Swiss Arms.

aggiehunter
02-27-2014, 08:34 PM
It won't be just Co's handing out fines..that's a given..even the RCMP will be stopping you in your vehicle to check the reggy for your quad in the back if theres no plate or sticker...a lot fines could be given out in short order.

bighornbob
02-27-2014, 08:38 PM
hmmm let me get this right..some asshats are doing stupid illegal dangerous stunts?? and IM being penalized with $50 for their actions??hmmm go after the asshats...don't financially harass me for their illegal actions..seems to me I read it was close to $300 fine for NOT having the new license...as if our conservation officers don't have enough to do already..and the 4 officers on general duty in the pond on any given shift by the RCMP..Don't have time tom even attend non injury MVA'S

SHEER BS...

srr

how is this any different then school tax. I am pretty sure you don't have kids and I don't and don't plan on it but we are paying for other people's kids with the school tax added to our property taxes. Last time i checked it was about 10 x the price of ORV registration. How is that fair?

Sitkaspruce
02-27-2014, 08:42 PM
I heard on the TV news that there was an estimated 200,000 OHV's in BC. 200,000 x $48 registration fee (if every single one was registered) = $9.6 million. That should get us some more CO's and up the policing out there in the bush. Let's assume the average CO makes $80K a year, plus pension & benefits, add another $40 k a year. Assume all the tools, uniforms, vehicles, fire arms, supplies, fuel ect costs about $25K a year. So now we are up to $165 K a year to keep one CO out there policing. Let's call it $200K a year...The guy needs a 4x4, a nice ATV, a snowmobile, a jet boat too. 48 more CO's out there patrolling for one year adds up to $9.6 million. So what do we do the year after that? We all know very well that of the potential $9.6 M in revenue created, a small portion of it will go back into the OHV community. The rest goes into general tax revenue, it always does. What I wonder is, assume we actually get 10 more CO's in all of BC. Do all the CO's write $2 M worth of tickets and fines a year, to cover the new added expenses of 10 more CO's? I would expect there would be a ton of pissed off outdoor enthusiasts out there! Like there isn't now? LOL.

Thats funny, 80 grand a year.....maybe if you add the benefits. Their base salary for a reg CO will start at $52000 and top out at just a little over $60000 after about 6 years. With min OT because they work a 140 hour 4 week schedule, they do not get OT for working weekends and evenings.....

There will be a lot of enforcement personal doing this work as all the FLNRO C&E are now on the 140 hour schedule and will be out working all the weekends as they no longer get OT for weekends. So, technically, there will be approx. 300 staff to enforce the legislation, but that will depend on the appitite of the Gov on what and where they want the staff to do their work.

Cheers

SS

Iron Glove
02-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Registration leads to taxation and confiscation, every time.

Now excuse me while I hold a funeral for my Swiss Arms.

Boats have been registered for ages as have automobiles.
Don't hear of too many being confiscated.
Too bad about the SWiss Arms, that kinda sucks.

Surrey Boy
02-27-2014, 09:52 PM
They're heavily taxed, and many features have been outlawed.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-27-2014, 09:57 PM
this is about registration. nothing mentioned about lisencing or insurance. No cost yet that has been set. Look deeper. Under 16 will have to be supervised. Helmets 100% mandatory for all OHV. Head & tail light required after sunset till sunup ( 1/2 hr) for all OHV including dirt bikes. No riding on resource roads in adverse (dust for eg) condition if visability is below a predetermined distance. Permit required for all out of province OHV even if they are insured and plated elsewhere. Interesting fact to go along with the permit---there are 650.000 ohv within 8 hrs driving time of Bc borders.

M.Dean
02-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Quads, dirt bikes, snow machines and even the odd golf cart are the second major means of travel up here. 50 bucks a machine isn't all that bad, and like others have said, if there's a big number on each machine it'd be way easier to find the idiots that cause all the problems! Maybe with this new law some of the parents will get tired of paying fines because there stupid kid's been stopped and fined 2 or 3 times ripping up the side hills and chasing the cows until there tongues are hanging out! Up here, most riders know if they rip up the ranchers lease ranges he's going to lock the gates, screwing it up for all of us, but, there's the few brain dead kids, and adults that plainly don't give a shit! Hopefully with a big bright number visible for all to see, and write down, they'll start caring, specially if there fined a few times!

pit bull
02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
long overdue(to help lower theft) but once they are registered, if a person sells his/her atv the province will probably want to collect taxes on the sale when the new owner registers it. probably just another sneaky cash grab.

hart
02-27-2014, 11:16 PM
How much money does the govt stand to make on a $48 licensing fee after the cost of administration and the plate is deducted? I expect nil. Money grab? Nice catch phrase but not applicable in this instance.

Exactly, gee this costs more than we are bringing in. We must raise the fees and premiums to cover the costs. The general public will agree, you know "user pay"

Also, this insurance that we have to get, what does it really protect us from?

davet
02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
well im not surprised. It was bound to happen. How long did you think we would be without insurance on ORV's The Gov taxes and tolls us to the max. Bound to happen, thats the price we pay for living in BC.

Piperdown
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
more like all month ..:mrgreen:

I was trying to be polite :mrgreen:

Iron Glove
02-28-2014, 12:01 PM
well im not surprised. It was bound to happen. How long did you think we would be without insurance on ORV's The Gov taxes and tolls us to the max. Bound to happen, thats the price we pay for living in BC.

You don't "need" ORV insurance unless you operate your ORV in areas as have been noted herein. It's also not "Gov't." insurance, you get it through Private Insurers for @ $100 a year.
Registration fees, sales taxes, they are Gov't.

Darksith
02-28-2014, 01:56 PM

why has the OVR been pushing to have themselves become regulated? This is what I don't understand. Its not much different that the gun debate. The violators are simply that, people that don't follow the rules, so how is this going to change anything? Especially since the enforcement isn't there due to lack of staff...

The only people this will catch is the kid that borrows dad's machine and then does something silly. It won't have major impacts on protection or enforcement, and it opens the door for further regulation. Unfortunately the OVR community, isn't really the community, its just a small group of riders that pass themselves off as the community when that's not really the case. Riding clubs don't have high participation rates because of how they ride, which is for liability reasons, that I understand, but the majority of riders are not in clubs.

Darksith
02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
long overdue(to help lower theft) but once they are registered, if a person sells his/her atv the province will probably want to collect taxes on the sale when the new owner registers it. probably just another sneaky cash grab.

help lower theft...really? Thats right...snow machines don't get stolen because they are registered...oh wait. I bought 3 sleds this year. Of those 3, 1 person handed over papers. I bet 30% is high as my sample numbers were low.

rednecksportsmen
02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Its a cash grab.

davet
02-28-2014, 03:23 PM
You don't "need" ORV insurance unless you operate your ORV in areas as have been noted herein. It's also not "Gov't." insurance, you get it through Private Insurers for @ $100 a year.
Registration fees, sales taxes, they are Gov't.
im sure you get my point. Just saying it was bound to happen

.330 Dakota
02-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Money grab? They will be registered with a plate the same way a snowmobile is. That costs a whole 10 bucks.

You just wait and see the cash grab...it aint over. Im from Ontario where they implimented this exact thing 30 years ago on sleds. Now the insurance on your 800cc mountain climber sled is $4000.00 per season and you cant pay by the month. You must pay the whole amount as they dont want it cancelled mid season. They have made so much money on insurance and trail fees that they have the OPP patrolling the trails on sleds handing out fines..this is just the beginning.

Fisher-Dude
02-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I doubt its the liscencing fee the Govt is after. I think they have found a way to collect the sales tax on privately traded ORVs. More for them to suck out of the public and then waste,,,just my opinion.

You mean the sales tax that tax cheats currently circumvent by not paying under current tax laws?

Good. I'm tired of fraudsters and scammers not paying their fair share. It's about time they paid up so that the law abiding citizens don't take up up the hoop to make up the shortfall these deadbeats steal from us.

Surrey Boy
02-28-2014, 06:12 PM
We're all paying more than our fair share, except for certain persons whom cannot be named. And if we all do it, then it's civil disobedience, a liberal peaceful protest.

Fisher-Dude
02-28-2014, 06:15 PM
You just wait and see the cash grab...it aint over. Im from Ontario where they implimented this exact thing 30 years ago on sleds. Now the insurance on your 800cc mountain climber sled is $4000.00 per season and you cant pay by the month. You must pay the whole amount as they dont want it cancelled mid season. They have made so much money on insurance and trail fees that they have the OPP patrolling the trails on sleds handing out fines..this is just the beginning.

Interesting that people on Ontario snowmobile forums only pay $200 - 600 a year, which is cheaper than ICBC on a sled for fire and theft.

I ride a 2006 crossfire 700 (http://stat.dealtime.com/DealFrame/DealFrame.cmp?bm=519&BEFID=96478&acode=567&code=567&aon=&crawler_id=1912695&dealId=KI-If3ku1a2kkABP1P4Y8g%3D%3D&searchID=&url=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-57618-1854-0%2F2%3Fkwid%3D1%26mtid%3D570%26crlp%3D1_240251%26 kw%3D%7Bquery%7D%26linkin_id%3D%7Blinkin_id%7D%26s ortbid%3D%7Bbidamount%7D%26fitem%3D331125502301%26 mt_id%3D570%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.c om%252Fitm%252Flike%252F331125502301%26mid%3D44652 8%26sdc_id%3D%7Bsdc_id%7D&DealName=Shorai%20Lithium%20Battery%20Standard%20A rctic%20Cat%20Crossfire%20700%202006%20Lfx24a3-bs12&MerchantID=446528&HasLink=yes&category=0&AR=-1&NG=1&GR=1&ND=1&PN=1&RR=-1&ST=&MN=msnFeed&FPT=SDCF&NDS=1&NMS=1&NDP=1&MRS=&PD=0&brnId=2455&lnkId=8070676&Issdt=140226050727&IsFtr=0&IsSmart=0&dlprc=224.95&SKU=331125502301) and have plpd/fire/theft and collision and pay
around $450.00 I am 37 with a perfect driving record with same insurance company
for 15 yrs.
basic insurance is like $250. plus about $90 for
fire theft and like the same for collision i believe plus GST

I pay just under $400/year for an 08 Crossfire 800 (http://stat.dealtime.com/DealFrame/DealFrame.cmp?bm=519&BEFID=96478&acode=525&code=525&aon=&crawler_id=1912695&dealId=cfv7j61r4vuohC5r8DIsAg%3D%3D&searchID=&url=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-57618-1854-0%2F2%3Fkwid%3D1%26mtid%3D570%26crlp%3D1_240251%26 kw%3D%7Bquery%7D%26linkin_id%3D%7Blinkin_id%7D%26s ortbid%3D%7Bbidamount%7D%26fitem%3D321294332963%26 mt_id%3D570%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.c om%252Fitm%252Flike%252F321294332963%26mid%3D44652 8%26sdc_id%3D%7Bsdc_id%7D&DealName=Spi%20Semi-metallic%20Brake%20Pads%20Arctic%20Cat%20Crossfire %20800%20Er%202007-2008&MerchantID=446528&HasLink=yes&category=0&AR=-1&NG=1&GR=1&ND=1&PN=1&RR=-1&ST=&MN=msnFeed&FPT=SDCF&NDS=1&NMS=1&NDP=1&MRS=&PD=0&brnId=2455&lnkId=8070676&Issdt=140226050727&IsFtr=0&IsSmart=0&dlprc=26.21&SKU=321294332963) - 1 million liability with fire
& theft - I'm 39 years old with a fairly clean record with one no fault
claim last year for theft. As Familysledder stated no use in canceling for the
summer months the annual premium is prorated.

I have been dealing with TD Insurance for several years now for my sled
insurance.

We have an 06 Turbo660LX and I
drive a 07 F1000LXR

The wife and I both
have a clean drivers record and we pay aprox $550yr for the two sleds
This is everything except collision.

TD ins. Coll.
fire theft the works $900.00 for both. 2010 1200X and 2010 1200 Adren.

im 22 first sled
zr 900 (http://stat.dealtime.com/DealFrame/DealFrame.cmp?bm=519&BEFID=96478&acode=567&code=567&aon=&crawler_id=1912695&dealId=GFgCC8zw5CcGrFzLgZSrwQ%3D%3D&searchID=&url=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-57618-1854-0%2F2%3Fkwid%3D1%26mtid%3D570%26crlp%3D1_240251%26 kw%3D%7Bquery%7D%26linkin_id%3D%7Blinkin_id%7D%26s ortbid%3D%7Bbidamount%7D%26fitem%3D310867222201%26 mt_id%3D570%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.c om%252Fitm%252Flike%252F310867222201%26mid%3D44652 8%26sdc_id%3D%7Bsdc_id%7D&DealName=Yuasa%20Battery%20Hi%20Performance%20Main tenance%20Free%20Ytx24hl-bs%20Arctic%20Cat%20Zr%20900%2003-06&MerchantID=446528&HasLink=yes&category=0&AR=-1&NG=1&GR=1&ND=1&PN=1&RR=-1&ST=&MN=msnFeed&FPT=SDCF&NDS=1&NMS=1&NDP=1&MRS=&PD=0&brnId=2455&lnkId=8070676&Issdt=140226050727&IsFtr=0&IsSmart=0&dlprc=126.34&SKU=310867222201) have to speeding tickets
everything but colision through td insurance and its either 215 or 250 a year

.330 Dakota
02-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Interesting that people on Ontario snowmobile forums only pay $200 - 600 a year, which is cheaper than ICBC on a sled for fire and theft.

BS..I lived there..I owned sleds....the rates are based on engine size, if its large YOU PAY... plus trail pass at average of $250 plus license fee,,I know what I paid for insurance there so I dont give a rats ass what you read on the net

Whiterock
02-28-2014, 08:10 PM
You mean the sales tax that tax cheats currently circumvent by not paying under current tax laws?

Good. I'm tired of fraudsters and scammers not paying their fair share. It's about time they paid up so that the law abiding citizens don't take up up the hoop to make up the shortfall these deadbeats steal from us.

Must be nice to be perfect,,glad Ill never know,,

horshur
02-28-2014, 08:27 PM
old Pat he sure ain't changed his spots.....

.330 Dakota
02-28-2014, 08:44 PM
old Pat he sure ain't changed his spots.....

Got that right,,,My Dad taught me to never try and match wits with an unarmed man.
So I am done with this topic with him as it aint gonna go anywhere positive

Gateholio
02-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Sales tax on used goods may be the law, but it's an immoral law. The tax has been paid on the new item. Double and triple dipping for taxes is simply wrong.

JoeJoe
02-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I think the government is going to tax and licence everything useable or moveable. They stay awake nights thinking about what to tax next to make more money to give to their good friends.
You don't like Bill 13.. look at Bill 5 .. They are even going to change the land titles act section 108 (2) and give land under water to private ownership. They are desperate and out of control.
Steve Thompson should be taken by the hand and gently led into the chair of a good shrink. He is not well. Our natural resources are in serious trouble and Bill 5 is a breech of trust.. http://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/4-4-40-2.htm

REMINGTON JIM
02-28-2014, 10:12 PM

This WHOLE ORV thing SUCKS - just another money grap and trying to keep me under the thumb of the DiCKTATORS ! It's NOT about the $10.00 its about the FACT it's not NEEDED ! jmo RJ

Sofa King
02-28-2014, 10:48 PM
This WHOLE ORV thing SUCKS - just another money grap and trying to keep me under the thumb of the DiCKTATORS ! It's NOT about the $10.00 its about the FACT it's not NEEDED ! jmo RJ

exactly this.
I don't care if it's $10 or $100, hell even if it was only $1, it's still just a bullshit money-grab.

I really don't understand those that are so happy and eager to pay extra fees and shit that always want to be introduced.
it's in NO way a good thing to be always paying more.

Sofa King
02-28-2014, 10:52 PM

I really doubt guys that would do that kind of thing would be bothering with plating their utes.
and what does reporting that to a CO do?
how are they going to prove anything?
they have to be caught in the act.
if it was that easy someone could just call in a person's plate and make up a ton of bs.
video would be needed, and even then, they'd have to be able to prove who was operating it.

JoeJoe
02-28-2014, 11:01 PM
What does reporting to a C O do you ask... get you frustrated.. good luck getting a response. they are just about useless. there are always exceptions to the rule .. so I never get too descriptive.

HarryToolips
02-28-2014, 11:14 PM

I agree, that's about the only thing it's good for..once again, it's those few stupid people that ruin it for the rest of us...

REMINGTON JIM
02-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Hard to read a Lic plate on a Quad with DUCK TAPE covering it up or just MUD on it ! :wink: RJ

Iron Glove
03-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Interesting article in yesterday's Vancouver Sun about a car deal where both sides structured it to avoid paying taxes.
There was a dispute between the parties and the Court tossed the whole thing saying basically that if you make a deal where you are trying to do something illegal, i.e. circumvent tax laws, then the deal itself is not legal so don't bother bringing your dispute to Court 'cause the Court doesn't recognize the deal.
So it's looked upon the same as going to Court to sue your pot supplier 'cause he sold you poor quality pot.
So, if you do a "tax free" deal on a Quad, take a down payment and then try to collect the balance by going to Small Claims Court, you might be SOL.

http://bit.ly/1dGxDvd

Fisher-Dude
03-01-2014, 09:32 AM
exactly this.
I don't care if it's $10 or $100, hell even if it was only $1, it's still just a bullshit money-grab.

I really don't understand those that are so happy and eager to pay extra fees and shit that always want to be introduced.
it's in NO way a good thing to be always paying more.

How is it a money grab when the cost of administration will likely exceed the fee collected?

BCBRAD
03-01-2014, 09:37 AM
How is it a money grab when the cost of administration will likely exceed the fee collected?

Government taking money out of my hand into theirs is a 'grab'. How they squander it is irrelevant .

Iron Glove
03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Sales tax on used goods may be the law, but it's an immoral law. The tax has been paid on the new item. Double and triple dipping for taxes is simply wrong.

Totally agree however there are consequences to not paying the taxes.
A Political Party could make a moral stance, without affecting our tax base much, by repealing this section of the tax laws. Really, how many people actually collect the taxes, and remit them to the Gov't. on private sales other than for automobiles?
I'd say that approx. 99% of adult BCers have sold something and not complied with the tax laws which means that 99% of us are law breakers. Not much point in having laws that most people ignore.

Fisher-Dude
03-01-2014, 09:46 AM
So, let's review how this affects taxpayers:

1.) how much do we spend on police resources chasing stolen ATVs?
2.) how much do we spend on other enforcement agencies that go on wild goose chases looking for "a green quad" or some other foggy identification?
3.) how much more do all of us spend on our insurance premiums when quads are stolen and are unidentifiable?
4.) how much do land owners spend on damage from unidentifiable ORVs?
5.) how much HCTF money gets blown on remediating damage caused by unidentifiable ORVs?
6.) how much does the health care system spend caring for those who don't wear helmets?

Let's review how much it will cost an ORV owner:

1.) a $48 one-time fee

Let's review what doesn't change:

1.) sales tax rules on transfers of new or used ORVs
2.) insurance requirements for riding an ORV on FSRs
3.) your ability to access any currently allowable area of BC on an ORV

Grizzloonly
03-01-2014, 09:47 AM
why has the OVR been pushing to have themselves become regulated? This is what I don't understand. Its not much different that the gun debate. The violators are simply that, people that don't follow the rules, so how is this going to change anything? Especially since the enforcement isn't there due to lack of staff...

The only people this will catch is the kid that borrows dad's machine and then does something silly. It won't have major impacts on protection or enforcement, and it opens the door for further regulation. Unfortunately the OVR community, isn't really the community, its just a small group of riders that pass themselves off as the community when that's not really the case. Riding clubs don't have high participation rates because of how they ride, which is for liability reasons, that I understand, but the majority of riders are not in clubs.

Perhaps pushing was the wrong word.

The government is a puppet. There are many special interest groups, LARGE special interest groups, that are trying to prevent motorized use in many areas of B.C. Chilliwack valley is one, the advance of housing and all of the sudden those loud ORVs across the river are disturbing BBQs. Large tracts of the KVR and the trans Canada rail system is another. Hikers and bikers have loud voices. Motorized vehicles are the evil nemesis.

This "small group of riders that pass themselves off as the community" are the voice that the government hears. Perhaps these plates are a small talking point, a means to hold off the onslaught of all those powerful groups, you know the ones, those evil liberal, left-wing, green, treehuggers? If they think this means of identification will help their cause, it might just be a good thing, if in fact, as you say, it will make no difference.

Interestingly gun users, hunters and the ORV crowd have many common interests. The problem we face is that it only takes one ass to undo what hundreds have tried to avoid undoing. It is incumbent upon us to protect what so many are trying to take away. Maybe plates will be in our favour.

boxhitch
03-01-2014, 10:04 AM
why has the OVR been pushing to have themselves become regulated? Many of the organized members are tired of being painted with the same brush as the hooligans.
Whether it is snowmobiles , dirt bikes or now orv's , Club members tend to ride more responsibly and have the responsibility to the organization to act appropriate or they won't be taken seriously in any endevour they try in the community. Many clubs are the ones called to the round table on discussions about trails , closures , special events , etc , the politics of riding. The licensing MAY help them point out the offenders , may give the impression the club represents the 'good'.
Club membership and participation is about being part of something bigger than 'me' , not for everyone obviously but those active members take it seriously.

boxhitch
03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Grizzloonly , I concur . Was typing while you were , with similar thoughts.

Maybe plates will be in our favour. 'Our' being those that are interested in being organized.

goatdancer
03-01-2014, 01:50 PM

2.) how much do we spend on other enforcement agencies that go on wild goose chases looking for "a green quad" or some other foggy identification?
3.) how much more do all of us spend on our insurance premiums when quads are stolen and are unidentifiable?
5.) how much HCTF money gets blown on remediating damage caused by unidentifiable ORVs?
6.) how much does the health care system spend caring for those who don't wear helmets?

1.) a $48 one-time fee

1.) What do policing costs have to do with anything?
2.) Usually not much happens with "wild goose' chases because there aren't any resources available to deal with such things.
3.) Not an issue when you get chop shops and other such nefarious entities that alter VINs at will.
4.) If some idiot was going to cause damage on private land, he would most likely make the ORV unidentifiable.
5.) Same as 4.
6.) So a law that says helmets are mandatory will fix the problem? Is it not already a requirement to wear a helmet when riding on an FSR? You can't legislate against stupidity.

Doesn't change #3 - this could change if/when our tools in Victoria do the same thing Ontario did.

REMINGTON JIM
03-01-2014, 02:12 PM

1.) a $48 one-time fee

SO Pat after the $48.00 one time fee all the problems of 1-6 will go away ? :icon_frow Not a chance will any of it improve - the only way to improve the problems we have is to PUNISH the OFFENDERS :evil: HARSHLEY ! :twisted: but not likely to happen with the Bleeding Heart useless Judge - Court system we have in place ! :cry: JMO RJ

Gun Dog
03-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Nothing but speculation. What about police resources looking stolen TVs? Or bicycles? Or cars?

Your insurance costs are based on the theft rate and the value of your quad. I guess cars, trucks, and boats are never stolen because they're registered. The press release says the goal is to improve recovery rates, not reduce theft rates. There's already a registry for stolen ATVs and other stuff with serial numbers.

It's cheaper for society for riders to NOT wear helmets -- they're more likely to die and their organs can be reused. A lifetime of care due to brain or spine or neck injury is the expensive part.

With any legislation the questions are always the same: what problem is it trying to solve and is it effective? Does making helmets mandatory have any value? Insurance requires it (for no reason since the liability isn't for the rider) and the only people I is see without helmets are ranchers (where it just gets in the way) and hunters. What are the actual numbers? How many people are injured or killed and would a helmet have changed the outcome?

Gun Dog
03-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Large tracts of the KVR and the trans Canada rail system is another. Hikers and bikers have loud voices. Motorized vehicles are the evil nemesis.
That's funny. I belong to the FMCBC (Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC) and they're concerned because the motorized crowd (dirt bikes, ATVs, sleds) get industry funding and has 100 times the resources of the hiking clubs. Our real nemesis is the environmental groups that are well funded and want to stop all development, use and access.

BTW, first comes registration and then comes emissions standards and testing. It's already happened down South where 2-strokes are banned.

GoatGuy
03-01-2014, 03:25 PM
If groups don't manage themselves the government will and no one likes it when the government manages.

The problems with ORVs are self-induced. Damage might be from a small percent, but it's happening everywhere and everyone wears it. There are places in the EK where you have meatheads riding trial bikes in the alpine going wherever they please. Quaders in parks and no motorized vehicle zones in the okanagan and on it goes. It's the same with clowns riding sleds in caribou recovery areas - if they can't keep out we'll just make the no snowmobile zone larger. Even the clowns on mountain bikes have trails paralleling every 100 yards in some of the parks. "They" are certainly ruining it for all the others, but the others need to get on top of the problem instead pulling an ostrich.

This issue reminds me of folks who complain about regulations and poaching when they have friends who are shooting eachothers tags, out the window of the truck, driving around with a loaded gun, cutting tags for the wrong region, or whatever other law they chose to break - and still continue to hunt with them. Until you come down on those clowns socially you aren't dealing with the problem.

If you don't take the proactive approach you'll be forced into the reactive solution.

Doostien
03-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Hard to read a Lic plate on a Quad with DUCK TAPE covering it up or just MUD on it ! :wink: RJ

Hope you enjoy the ticket for having an illegible plate! They wouldn't even need to catch you in the bush for that one, just need to see it in your driveway or while you are loading/unloading. Or how about when they set up a checkpoint on a forest service road?

We all have plates on our cars/bikes we display, why is the idea of having a plate on our other two and four wheeled vehicles so foreign?

JoeJoe
03-01-2014, 04:07 PM
If groups don't manage themselves the government will and no one likes it when the government manages.

The problems with ORVs are self-induced. Damage might be from a small percent, but it's happening everywhere and everyone wears it. There are places in the EK where you have meatheads riding trial bikes in the alpine going wherever they please. Quaders in parks and no motorized vehicle zones in the okanagan and on it goes. It's the same with clowns riding sleds in caribou recovery areas - if they can't keep out we'll just make the no snowmobile zone larger. Even the clowns on mountain bikes have trails paralleling every 100 yards in some of the parks. "They" are certainly ruining it for all the others, but the others need to get on top of the problem instead pulling an ostrich.

This issue reminds me of folks who complain about regulations and poaching when they have friends who are shooting eachothers tags, out the window of the truck, driving around with a loaded gun, cutting tags for the wrong region, or whatever other law they chose to break - and still continue to hunt with them. Until you come down on those clowns socially you aren't dealing with the problem.

If you don't take the proactive approach you'll be forced into the reactive solution.

I doubt that anyone will argue that all users are using all the good sense they possess but how do you get a C O to patrol the alpine to watch for illegal activity with a quad. They won't leave the house without back up and they almost always are impossible to get in touch with if you encounter a poacher or something happening that needs immediate attention. Nice to think that the new laws would protect our alpine areas but I have been on roads in the alpine that say no atv's permitted and there are so many cows that it would be dangerous to go fast if you were on an atv and the place looks nuked from overgrazing.. Placer Mountain is that place.

Fisher-Dude
03-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Your insurance costs are based on the theft rate and the value of your quad. I guess cars, trucks, and boats are never stolen because they're registered. The press release says the goal is to improve recovery rates, not reduce theft rates. There's already a registry for stolen ATVs and other stuff with serial numbers.

The cops aren't going to walk up to an ATV at Tim Hortons and dig around for a serial number under a frame somewhere. But, they are far more likely to run a plate in the 5 seconds it takes them to see if it's stolen or legit.

Increased recovery = lower cost for insurers = lower insurance rates = more scumbags getting caught = less theft. Not so sure why that is so hard to understand.

REMINGTON JIM
03-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Hope you enjoy the ticket for having an illegible plate! They wouldn't even need to catch you in the bush for that one, just need to see it in your driveway or while you are loading/unloading. Or how about when they set up a checkpoint on a forest service road?

We all have plates on our cars/bikes we display, why is the idea of having a plate on our other two and four wheeled vehicles so foreign?

Your not real BRIGHT are you ? :cry: RJ

Barracuda
03-01-2014, 07:59 PM
The cops aren't going to walk up to an ATV at Tim Hortons and dig around for a serial number under a frame somewhere. But, they are far more likely to run a plate in the 5 seconds it takes them to see if it's stolen or legit.

Increased recovery = lower cost for insurers = lower insurance rates = more scumbags getting caught = less theft. Not so sure why that is so hard to understand.

And once plate become the norm they will walk up to a truck in tim Hortens and give a closer look at an atv that does not have a plate

GoatGuy
03-01-2014, 08:03 PM
I doubt that anyone will argue that all users are using all the good sense they possess but how do you get a C O to patrol the alpine to watch for illegal activity with a quad. They won't leave the house without back up and they almost always are impossible to get in touch with if you encounter a poacher or something happening that needs immediate attention. Nice to think that the new laws would protect our alpine areas but I have been on roads in the alpine that say no atv's permitted and there are so many cows that it would be dangerous to go fast if you were on an atv and the place looks nuked from overgrazing.. Placer Mountain is that place.

People have to self-police, and report the culls when you meet them. Take pictures, video and ship it off to the COS.

Feel free to rip them a new you know what while you`re at it.

rocksteady
03-01-2014, 08:31 PM
People have to self-police, and report the culls when you meet them. Take pictures, video and ship it off to the COS.

Feel free to rip them a new you know what while you`re at it.

Observe, record, report... It works..

aggiehunter
03-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Oxymoron...kicking atv riders off the KVR trail.

OutWest
03-02-2014, 04:10 PM
This is the kind of stuff I'd love to see stopped. Bunch of donkeys.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=86dd31b877&view=fimg&th=14484a4dc92e10e6&attid=0.6&disp=inline&realattid=f_hsatdgsj5&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-RyEiWFtSJKstRBLx6L55gEFPhWML_1t4FvVtp8GSVuCf7JyTCr qCCo4CA92YZtyThCbwfJvR4Y00OTr2t4dltG5hJ552Sj7Wn6LZ UM3S3-mLZrChyTk0MCC0&ats=1393801487805&rm=14484a4dc92e10e6&zw&sz=w1626-h928

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=86dd31b877&view=fimg&th=14484a4dc92e10e6&attid=0.8&disp=inline&realattid=f_hsatdgtp7&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-HMYk_kQkynWtjIbRec0UKCemFzj0mHxJtway_Q25X1edz-48t7KbCth4d7ywuJ7w5oheT5WIuazelgOyGLNbr2l2JL19utMd 8fX63oNnYz4Wyp6XQ0ZNrYek&ats=1393801487806&rm=14484a4dc92e10e6&zw&sz=w1626-h928

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=86dd31b877&view=fimg&th=14484a4dc92e10e6&attid=0.5&disp=inline&realattid=f_hsatdgs14&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-Sw-fYRGWAierLexvDTygnawhwo_uMfi64GvltcMxDukaczRG2AZbM 1vhVQ1z4LcajNlYRu2zTT4jmQ06gFEH5_nRehSOtRXxm2UCSlt K9YNlRZqo0pchJmEQ&ats=1393801487805&rm=14484a4dc92e10e6&zw&sz=w1626-h928

srupp
03-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Hmm starts as a ont time cash grab...then it will become yearly..so its up to date and allows the increased costs to be added on..

Just the start..

Srupp

Fisher-Dude
03-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Hmm starts as a ont time cash grab...then it will become yearly..so its up to date and allows the increased costs to be added on..

Just the start..

Srupp

Snowmobiles have been registered and plated since 1970. They are still one-time fees. What one-time licencing fee in this province has been made annual to substantiate your paranoia?

butthead
03-02-2014, 05:54 PM

another paid gov shill

butthead
03-02-2014, 05:57 PM
sounds like its time for a class action suit every time some one get hurt on there quad because this law didnt save them from being hurt when thats what it was created for to be safer out there

fuzzy 63
03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
ORV . makes my zuki the best double end I could own . golf cart size , tows small trailer . roof rack,and capable go any where . other than that the rest is bull shit . $$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whonnock Boy
03-02-2014, 06:30 PM
So.... let's see if I have this straight. A large percentage of ORV owners believe this is a money grab, and the government is sticking it to them. However, an untold amount of money is needed to police these outdoor enthusiasts, maintain and repair the large tracts of land that these same users so dearly love to tear up, as well as block/prohibit them from entering sensitive, protected areas. In addition, they/you cannot look on the bright side and realize that one main benefit to these plates will be the aid in identifying abusers of our natural resources including the wildlife we all cherrish. If you want to play, you have to pay. I can't help but think there are more than a few of you that have something to hide, and sit here shaking my head..... :roll:

Doostien
03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
So.... let's see if I have this straight. A large percentage of ORV owners believe this is a money grab, and the government is sticking it to them. However, an untold amount of money is needed to police these outdoor enthusiasts, maintain and repair the large tracts of land that these same users so dearly love to tear up, as well as block/prohibit them from entering sensitive, protected areas. In addition, they/you cannot look on the bright side and realize that one main benefit to these plates will be the aid in identifying abusers of our natural resources including the wildlife we all cherrish. If you want to play, you have to pay. I can't help but think there are more than a few of you that have something to hide, and sit here shaking my head..... :roll:

People seem to want to focus on this being a 'money grab' so that they can kill the whole bill and not have to deal with the rest.

I know a few of these people personally, though its been 10 years and two towns since I left high school, facebook keeps me informed. They have so many pictures of them mud bogging, spinning donuts on grasslands, doing hill climbs where there are no trails... etc etc. They've all posted rants about how it is a cash grab and ignore the rest of it.

Right now it is a single, quite reasonable fee. Why worry so much that it 'may' turn into more? Why not take the obvious benefits from this bill right now, and fight the increases later? We can worry about that then, we need these regulations now. Fisher-Dude makes a great point, we already have an example of this and a rather long one at that.

I'm going to pay the $50 and i'll plate my ATV without a second thought. I'm tired of seeing weekend warriors destroy our wilderness.

Surrey Boy
03-03-2014, 12:48 AM
I don't own a quad or dirtbike or any of that kind, but this puts me off buying one entirely. I don't need any more hassle than what the gov't gives me now.

hunter1993ap
03-03-2014, 09:44 AM
the only good thing I see about this is all the clowns will be identified. and from what I've seen in the bush there are a lot of clowns.