PDA

View Full Version : Guess The Score (Field Judging Clip)

dana
02-16-2007, 09:34 PM
So it's Nov and you are in pursuit of a monster muley. Your eye catches a big bodied deer way up high on the slope above you. You dig your spotter out of your pack and get a quick glimpse of this buck as he heads into a little patch of timber. What is your score guess? Is he a shooter? Is he worth the lung bustin' post-holin' hike straight up the 90% slope to get in on him before shooting light fades?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/?action=view&current=GuessTheScore.flv

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Basic 4 x 4 not bad tine lengths ,22 inch spread not overly heavy mass .Probably net around 168 nice buck not a trophy.:lol:

3kills
02-16-2007, 09:45 PM
for me its a shooter but only cuz i havent shot a decent 4 point yet....most of u i would say would pass on him i m guessin high 150's to mid 160's

Will
02-16-2007, 09:47 PM
So it's Nov and you are in pursuit of a monster muley.... What is your score guess? Is he a shooter?
Well everybody's Definition of a "Monster" is gonna be quite different.

While I don't "guess" that Buck to be a +200" Monster he looks Fine to me.....I think I see a few "extras" on the left side ??? Maybe go 180 NT ? I have no clue really.

Anyways for me it's all about "Character" ;) and if he turned out to have the Lil extras I think he has....Bonus.
Yep I'd Dump him and would make No applogies about it http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/onCrack.gif

Kirby
02-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Good G-2, ok G-3 weak fronts, short mains. Definatly not worth dropping give him a couple of years and he could be good.

Kirby

Rob
02-16-2007, 09:56 PM
im guessing btw 160-170?? still hunt for meat so i dont think im that good at judging. Am I close?

browningboy
02-16-2007, 09:59 PM
10 billion points, with a laser beam on his head

Gamebuster
02-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Do you know the score Dana? Is he dead now? He looks to me to be high 160s-looks a little weak on the front, difficult to tell for sure though...depending on how much of a grunt we are talkin about here to get up on him, I'd probably give him a go...

frenchbar
02-16-2007, 10:10 PM
I would give chase for sure and try and get a crack at him,a definate shooter for me .score guess -166 net.

dana
02-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I know exactly what he scores as I have have taped his sheds. I'll give you guys a little hint (something you never get in field judging conditions) there isn't a single guess thus far that is close. :)

Will
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I know exactly what he scores as I have have taped his sheds. I'll give you guys a little hint (something you never get in field judging conditions) there isn't a single guess thus far that is close. :)
Yes but I'm the Closest so far.........;-)

dana
02-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes Will you are the closest, but your guess would only count if you were playing against me in a game of horseshoes. ;)

"I think I see a few "extras" on the left side ???"
Here's another hint, the buck is an 8X8. :lol:

tufferthandug
02-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I would definitely give em a go! You don't know if there's a big old dropper on the other side or killer trash. I think if you filmed that buck from the opposite sides, the decision would be extra difficult.

Maybe my eyes are a little wonky, but it looked like the left side had a fair amount of inches latched on it.

Region 5-> Kaboom (2 tags in November, and there's so much country to find another one...:))

Region 3-> Depends on what I knew about the other bucks in the area. (ie: sheds found that spring and posted on MM and HuntingBC.)

Region 7-> Kaboom, because I don't like region 7.

Region 4-> Pass, and wait for the chance at a big ol' Devil's Club buck!

~T-BONE~
02-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Throw in some pics of these sheds! The video was quite grainy and hard to get a good look!

dana
02-16-2007, 10:36 PM
T-Bone,
That's the point. Field conditions are never ideal. If you are quickly taking the spotter out of your pack, chances are, you are laying on your belly in all that snow with the spotter proped up on your backpack too. Deer move quickly. You rarely ever get to sit and watch a buck out in the open for very long. You have to be able to make split second decisions based on views very similiar to this. Is he a shooter? It's 2:30 in the afternoon. It'll be dark in 2 hours. Gotta get moving if you want to make a play on him. Is it worth wasting your time or should you let him walk?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Looking quickly through your spotter and viewing a downloaded, reduced quality video clip are two different things. The original video clip would be much higher quality.

I'll always bust my ass to have a closer look. Make your final decision from shooting distance.

SSS

Will
02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes Will you are the closest, but your guess would only count if you were playing against me in a game of horseshoes. ;)

Well then he's not the Lil dink 4x4 like some thought......:lol:
Like I Said........
I'd dump him.......the Extras would be a Bonus ;)

dana
02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
SSS,
I don't know about that, looking through a spotter laying on top of a backpack, wiping the snow out of the way, having your breath fog it up as you excitedly try to get the buck in the view finder, I think the 30 second clip blurry clip is very much like real life.
So how long are his G2's? Is that an Inline I saw? Geeze, he looks crabclawed though don't he? How does that play into his score?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay then...since I'm not you and get about 5 hours to hunt each deer season:cry: and he's bigger than any muley I've ever shot........BOOOOM!!!:lol:

Let's see what I've got when I walk up to him8) !

SSS

StoneChaser
02-16-2007, 10:53 PM
SSS,
I don't know about that, looking through a spotter laying on top of a backpack, wiping the snow out of the way, having your breath fog it up as you excitedly try to get the buck in the view finder, I think the 30 second clip blurry clip is very much like real life.
So how long are his G2's? Is that an Inline I saw? Geeze, he looks crabclawed though don't he? How does that play into his score?

Hard to tell from the video... I agree they move around a lot, but if my spotter was that blurry I'd throw it off a cliff. The video is too grainy to show great detail, as he looks crab clawed on his G4's... but I suspect that isn't the case. As for the extra points... they can be seen for a split second as he turns, but there again poor resolution kills any chances of seeing detail.

I'd rate him as "needs a closer look" from the provided video.

I long for the chance to hunt deer in such open country... where I hunt'em you can't glass'em, and certainly can't video them... too damn thick!

StoneChaser

tufferthandug
02-16-2007, 10:56 PM
If my spotter was that blurry I'd throw it over a cliff!

No shit!! *****!!

Dirty
02-16-2007, 10:59 PM
140ish ? It is tough to tell though the video isn't very good.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Post up his sheds and I''ll give you the number in 10 minutes.For a serious trophy hunter it depends what region you are hunting in ,if he is a nontypical ,then he wont score worth a shit because he doesnt have enough junk.If he has some extras then the deductions will kill him.If Kirt Darner or Chuck Adams saw that buck they wouldnt even chamber a round.I would be gutting him before you visialize how long the G2's are.:lol:

Brambles
02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Not sure of the score, I can only see 5 on each side, can't see if he has brows or not. I think counting the points I can see he's about 190 gross NT. Now if he's a 8x8 like you say then he'll be even better, if he has brows then even better yet. Could be up there.

I'd shoot him!

Whats his score?

dana
02-16-2007, 11:03 PM
If you boys can't score based on the on the clip, then how you gonna do it in the field. A 30 sec view is actually pretty damn long. Common boys, you can do better than complain about the clip quality. Go with your gut? How good are his forks? You can see them all pretty darn clearly. And you also have the advantage of viewing the clip more than once. In the field most of the time it's a one shot deal. Maybe you'll catch a piece of his antlers in the trees but then you are always second guesing yourself as was that a branch or was that a tine.

dana
02-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Okay BHF,
Here's the sheds What does he score? I'll only give ya one view. Field conditions are never perfect where you can measure each tine using the mouse. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0073.jpg

tufferthandug
02-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

189 5/8's Gross. Nets are for fish.

Kirby
02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
He may have stickers but he still doesn't have a good main frame. I'd still pass. Like I said before only strong point on the buck is his backs. And I think it carries the trait from the area for super short mains which will hurt it. Now if he had double inlines like that, then he would be worthy of letting the air out of.

Kirby

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 11:14 PM
192 Nt. .........

~T-BONE~
02-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Its useless to try to score the deer in question accuratly without proper idetification! But here is a shot in the dark As if he is a 4x4; 176ish and if there were xtras brows in cluded at 2 in. and extras at 1 in. respectfuly would go around 186 - 190! Steve??? Saying it was the last week would you have shot him not knowing what calibre of deer he was at the look you got? Personally I would have more than likely shot after seeing the 4 on one side and definatly now after knowing about the xtras!!!!!!!!!! Nice tall rack!

Wrote before the shed pic, and posted after. Too slow I guess.. :(

Rob
02-16-2007, 11:24 PM
So on a Mulie we dont count the brow tines, but we do count all stickers that are over 1"? Rob

Will
02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
So on a Mulie we dont count the brow tines, but we do count all stickers that are over 1"? Rob
To get a Legal Point count........Yes.

Fisher-Dude
02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Hard to tell from the video... I agree they move around a lot, but if my spotter was that blurry I'd throw it off a cliff.
StoneChaser

Dana has a Trashco spotter to match his Trashco binos. That's why he lets Rams hunt with him 'cause Rams has better optics. :lol:

I was going 188 from the video, I'll stick with it.

Rob
02-16-2007, 11:33 PM
So i guess I should recount my avatar, I thought it was a 2 pt.

dana
02-16-2007, 11:37 PM
I can tell you the first day I saw this buck I got a look at it very much like the video clip. Very very first light, with his head in the trees, was using my ol' man's old spotter and it doesn't have very good light gathering abilities. The buck came out of the trees for 30 secs or so and then went right back in. I knew instantly this buck was a shooter. And yes I believe even the pros would take this buck, cause they have the experience to know what they are looking at. Guess that was my whole point of the thread, to see who has the experiece to look at a brief blurry clip and be able to tell whether a buck was worth it or not. It is never useless to know how to field judge. Of course you are never going to guess right on the money. That ain't the point. If you are a trophy hunter, you have to be able to know when to go for it and when to let it walk. You have to know what a deer is, from the fleeting glimpse you get of it, or else you will either end up seeing a lot of ground shrinkage or else you will pass on the opportunity to kill a great buck.

Here's some specifics on the buck. BFH, if you were serious about the buck not having very much mass, you need to check your eyes. A really heavy buck has 40 inches of mass. This buck has 44 inches of mass. Several H measurements are 6+. This buck has unbelievable backs. Easy to see that in the clip. G2's are 19 2/8 and 17 1/8. Hard to tell from the clip how much trash he has, but you get a glimpse and you get the feeling there is more. He actually has 22 5/8 inches of trash. This is where I was off on my field judging. I didn't get to know the answer of 8x8 until I got my hands on his sheds 3 months later. I had orginally guessed this buck right at 200 gross. Turns out he grosses 211 and nets 202. If you are looking for a 200 inch deer, you have to know what a 200 inch deer looks like.

Caveman
02-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Dewey, legal count, two point, but scorable three points per side

Will
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
So i guess I should recount my avatar, I thought it was a 2 pt.
It is a two point.......
Legally in BC you Count ALL the Points on ONE side that are greater then 1" excluding the brow tine. This is only for the BC regs though.........many folks count all points and would call a 2x2 with brows a 6 point.
Every region has different methods...it doesn't matter much, whatever floats your boat.
Just know how the CO's will add up points on your Muley if it's during a 4 point or better season ;)

tufferthandug
02-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I can tell you the first day I saw this buck I got a look at it very much like the video clip. Very very first light, with his head in the trees, was using my ol' man's old spotter and it doesn't have very good light gathering abilities. The buck came out of the trees for 30 secs or so and then went right back in. I knew instantly this buck was a shooter. And yes I believe even the pros would take this buck, cause they have the experience to know what they are looking at. Guess that was my whole point of the thread, to see who has the experiece to look at a brief blurry clip and be able to tell whether a buck was worth it or not. It is never useless to know how to field judge. Of course you are never going to guess right on the money. That ain't the point. If you are a trophy hunter, you have to be able to know when to go for it and when to let it walk. You have to know what a deer is, from the fleeting glimpse you get of it, or else you will either end up seeing a lot of ground shrinkage or else you will pass on the opportunity to kill a great buck.

Here's some specifics on the buck. BFH, if you were serious about the buck not having very much mass, you need to check your eyes. A really heavy buck has 40 inches of mass. This buck has 44 inches of mass. Several H measurements are 6+. This buck has unbelievable backs. Easy to see that in the clip. G2's are 19 2/8 and 17 1/8. Hard to tell from the clip how much trash he has, but you get a glimpse and you get the feeling there is more. He actually has 22 5/8 inches of trash. This is where I was off on my field judging. I didn't get to know the answer of 8x8 until I got my hands on his sheds 3 months later. I had orginally guessed this buck right at 200 gross. Turns out he grosses 211 and nets 202. If you are looking for a 200 inch deer, you have to know what a 200 inch deer looks like.

I'm guessing that you scored just the sheds and estimated the width? Oh well, I'm still happy that my 189 5/8 guess wasn't too far off.

dana
02-16-2007, 11:53 PM
I have a pretty good idea of his width but that doen't play a roll into it when you have such short mains that this buck has. Remember inside spread can not exceed the length of the longest mainbeam. So that is what I gave the sheds for a spread credit. Now if only this buck had good mains, you'd be looking at a 220+ buck.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 11:59 PM
And to steal a quote.....If my aunt had balls ,she would be my uncle.:lol:

dana
02-17-2007, 12:02 AM
So BHF, were you going to pass on a 211 inch giant? LOL! Trophy hunting muleys in BC is all about the fleeting glimpses, do you have the confidence to know what a 200 inch deer looks like? Can you make that call in a matter of split seconds?

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 12:16 AM
I basically said I would shoot that buck in a heartbeat,I said the pros wouldnt jump on that buck that fast but it depends on the area.I rember a women who I saw in Big Buck mag who shot a record book buck ,she passed up bigger bucks than that all week before she harvested her Sonora Mexico monster.I cant see all the points but if it has all this extra junk on it then I have a hard time believing it only has 9'' in deductions.

dana
02-17-2007, 12:23 AM
BHF,
You do know a 8x8 is a Nontypical right? Gross typical mainframe minus side to side deductions + trash = net NT score. Does it look like there is way more side to side deductions than 9 inches? Because 9 inches is actually a large number.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Of course I know an 8 x8 is a non typical ,you give me a straight on shot of the rack with no side views and expect me to accurately judge the rack.You also know that a 200 net score nontypical aint close to a record book deer.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 12:44 AM
I want to add that until you actually put a tape on the rack ,that antlers can be very decieving .The nice buck that Matt shot two years ago fooled you because it had no browtines,and I read that the first time Rick Berreth saw the Dean Barlow buck he wasnt impressed.:|

hunter1947
02-17-2007, 05:25 AM
I say the gross is 186 5/8. A real trophy mu lie should have an inside spread of 35 plus with even tines of 10 to 12 inches long ,with 4 or 5 on each side ,this being a typical score of course ,with the main beams being over 30 inches long. 8) hunter 1947.

Schmaus
02-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Alls I wanna say is that Dana you are still my hero http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/html/emoticons/smiley-bs-sign.gif (javascript:void(0))

mark
02-17-2007, 08:07 AM
I say the gross is 186 5/8. A real trophy mu lie should have an inside spread of 35 plus with even tines of 10 to 12 inches long ,with 4 or 5 on each side ,this being a typical score of course ,with the main beams being over 30 inches long. 8) hunter 1947.

Ya we can all dream wayne! :lol:

I have to admit, i was definately wrong in my original guess! At first in the clip i was thinking 170ish like most others here! I still find the final score tough to swallow!

zigman
02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
I would have gone after that monster in a second.
Dana,
thanks for your information. I can see that you put in a lot of time and effort to get the sheds,pics and BIG deer. I look forward to your info.

Will
02-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Well the Fact that I could at least make out some of those "extras" from that Grainy footage is a Miracle to say the least.

I did say this......

Anyways for me it's all about "Character" :wink: and if he turned out to have the Lil extras I think he has....Bonus.
Yep I'd Dump him and would make No applogies about it http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/onCrack.gif

Definately Nice walking up and it's the opposite of "ground shrinkage" I almost always "underestimate" when field judging bucks anyways. When I see a Monster...it usually is.

I used to put alot of thought into the Scoring etc..
Now I don't really give a Crap, sure I appreciate the "scores" as much as the next Guy but when a "Decent" buck gets nitpicked to the 16th it kinda loses alot of the appeal......at least for me.

Now I look for "Character" more then anything.......I pass up on some decent 4x4's just because I prefer the look of a Non-typical "Character Buck"
Sure they generally score like $hit but Dam they Look good on the wall 8)

dana
02-17-2007, 10:14 AM
The point of the thread wasn't to guess the score to the exact inch, it was instead to judge whether this buck was indeed a shooter. With the many very low guesses, I think many of you were trying to second guess me rather than look at the buck and come up with a good ballpark score. Typically most hunters over estimate, they see a good tall rack and maybe an extra and BOOM!!! Then when they walk up to it they find it is nothing that they were expecting. It is called Ground Shrinkage, and even the most hard-core of us have experienced it.

BHF,
Just because it ain't a record book deer don't mean it ain't a SHOOTER! Not too many people on the planet that will pass on a 200 incher. That is the dream and goal for most muley addicts. I don't know who you think the pros are in the mule deer realm. If Kirt Darner is still your hero you must have not got out much in the last 15 years. He is a fake. As of his last fiasco last year, looks like he'll be going to jail for a long time too. Did the man know trophy muleys? You bet. Did he kill all those monsters? Nope! Bought or stole them.
As for Chuck, well the man definately knows monster elk. But you can bet your bottom dollar that he'd be slipping an arrow in the buck in the video clip. A 200 inch net NT is well into the P&Y.

Mark,
Maybe you need to spend more time over on MM and looking at big bucks if you doubt my score. You obviously need some practice as you think this buck is a 170 class dink and yet you think that buck on your trail cam is a monster. ;)

dana
02-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Here are some more pics of the sheds off the buck we called BoneHead. We followed this buck for a few years and were able to find 3 sets of his sheds.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/BoneHead02e.jpg

Here's the 01/02 set with the 00/01 set.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/BoneHead01-02a.jpg

Here's the 00/01 set mounted on a skullplate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/BoneHead01d.jpg

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 10:45 AM
You state the buck has 22 5/8 '' in extra trash,but it only has 9'' in total deductions ,your numbers dont add up .9'' diffrence in a big non typical buck is peanuts .Something is out of whack.Post up the official score sheet so we can see the real picture.

hunter1947
02-17-2007, 10:55 AM
The point of the thread wasn't to guess the score to the exact inch, it was instead to judge whether this buck was indeed a shooter. With the many very low guesses, I think many of you were trying to second guess me rather than look at the buck and come up with a good ballpark score. Typically most hunters over estimate, they see a good tall rack and maybe an extra and BOOM!!! Then when they walk up to it they find it is nothing that they were expecting. It is called Ground Shrinkage, and even the most hard-core of us have experienced it.

BHF,
Just because it ain't a record book deer don't mean it ain't a SHOOTER! Not too many people on the planet that will pass on a 200 incher. That is the dream and goal for most muley addicts. I don't know who you think the pros are in the mule deer realm. If Kirt Darner is still your hero you must have not got out much in the last 15 years. He is a fake. As of his last fiasco last year, looks like he'll be going to jail for a long time too. Did the man know trophy muleys? You bet. Did he kill all those monsters? Nope! Bought or stole them.
As for Chuck, well the man definately knows monster elk. But you can bet your bottom dollar that he'd be slipping an arrow in the buck in the video clip. A 200 inch net NT is well into the P&Y.

Mark,
Maybe you need to spend more time over on MM and looking at big bucks if you doubt my score. You obviously need some practice as you think this buck is a 170 class dink and yet you think that buck on your trail cam is a monster. ;) Any decent buck i see is a shooter for me :wink: hunter 1947.

dana
02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
What do you mean my numbers don't add up? 22 inches in trash is added, not subtracted. 9 inches of deductions comes off of the gross typical score. If you were to score this buck as a typical, then he'd have 31 inches of deductions off his gross typical thus this buck is scored as a nontypical. What do you think his gross typical score is? You have more pics to go off of now.

BTW,
I have to correct myself. In replying to Tuffer, I said I used the greatest MB length to estimate for the spread credit. This is wrong. Greatest MB length is 23 inches. I used 19 inches as the inside spread credit.

hunter1947
02-17-2007, 11:02 AM

BHF,

Mark,
Maybe you need to spend more time over on MM and looking at big bucks if you doubt my score. You obviously need some practice as you think this buck is a 170 class dink and yet you think that buck on your trail cam is a monster. ;) My point hear if your a trophy shooter ,NO that set of sheds you have are small ,if i was after a wall hanger it would have to be over 190 class. them there antlers your holding I'm guessing that they score around 175 gross points. :smile: hunter 1947.

JMac
02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
The 9 inches in loss is from comparing the basic four point frame side to side as is done in all scoring for B.C. book and B&C. "Gross typical score minus deductions = Net typical score". Basically the typical frame is measured and your deductions are added up and subtracted. Any extra trash/non-typical points are added on after. So in the end you have your net typical frame plus your extra nontypical points = Net non typical score. You don't compare side to side differences in nontypical points! If he goes 200 inches net NT he will make B.C.'s book (as 195 net minimum is needed). He's a shooter!

dana
02-17-2007, 11:09 AM
JMac,
You'd think BHF would know that eh? :)

Hunter1947,
Well I guess you'd pass on what 99.9% of trophy hunters would call a real wallhanger then. Good on ya. You can't shoot the real monsters if you are busy shooting 200 inch dinks right? ;)

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 11:09 AM
189 gross typical,this is a basic 4 x4 frame with a few extras not really a non typical ,weak mainbeams small crab claws .I cant see a monster buck ,I have a whole garage full of racks like this.

Tinney
02-17-2007, 11:11 AM
When I first looked at the vid, I figured 185-ish.
KABOOM!

hunter1947
02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
JMac,
You'd think BHF would know that eh? :)

Hunter1947,
Well I guess you'd pass on what 99.9% of trophy hunters would call a real wallhanger then. Good on ya. You can't shoot the real monsters if you are busy shooting 200 inch dinks right? ;) correct :smile: i have yet to put one down in the 200+ class ,the closes i have came is 180 ,i did not even get this rack mounted ,you have to be in an area were there are record class deer in order to connect ,unfortunately i have not found a place like that ,O i could if i spent the money for a guided hunt in an area i now were there are world record mulies ,like New Mexico ,but i will never pay to be guided ,so i guess I'm the looser. :smile: hunter 1947.

Will
02-17-2007, 11:26 AM
The point of the thread wasn't to guess the score to the exact inch, it was instead to judge whether this buck was indeed a shooter.
Yep........I did and said "I would shoot it" 8)

Then I'd post it up so all the Horny Muley Nutz could Squabble about the score :lol:

The Buck has "Character" and is a "Trophy" by almost anyone's standards IMO.

Thanks for the Look......again;)

StoneChaser
02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Certainly a shooter once you showed a good angle of the G4's... BOOOOOOM!

Great buck!

I've posted this one before, my brother shot it in '05...any guesses?

We had decided before we left for the week that 180" gross typical for mulies was our minimum (we are happy killing dinks). We had a split second to make the decision on this buck ... were we close?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/DavidsMuile05X.jpg

hunter1947
02-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Yes you were ,im guessing it scored 185 ,hunter 1947.

BlacktailStalker
02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Dana that's a hell of a buck. It has character, which I think is much more unique than any symmetrical buck whether it be 150 or 200 gross. I'd be proud to take a buck of that caliber.
Fact being I havent seen one that good ever and the guys that do dont see them every day, means it's a good buck to me.
The downside to this is I knew where this thread was going right from the beginning, they all go this way.
What started out as a cool video and a simple question turned into criticism that so and so cant recognize a trophy buck etc etc.
Pretty much why I had no comments on the video, maybe because yes, I have not seen a mulie that big, hell we dont even have mulies on this Island, so why guess when I'm going to get my ass torn open when I say I saw a such and such size buck one day down the road and it gets brought to my attention I dont have a clue what I'm talking about since I was so far off on this buck?
I just find it border line fightin words when a guy wants another guys opinion and then gets counterjudged on what he said, it doesnt make sense to me. Maybe i'm just havin' a bad day, I dunno.

Gamebuster
02-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Stonechaser,

I'm gonna have to say you were not that close or maybe I am completely out to lunch, but I can't see that buck measuring past 160"...155-165"

Fisher-Dude
02-17-2007, 02:38 PM
BHF,
You do know a 8x8 is a Nontypical right?

Not necessarily. It could be a 4x4 with four one inch stickers on each side. It needs 20" of junk before it gets classified as a non-typical. So, just because it is an 8x8 does not automatically make it a non-typical.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Good answer Fisher,In any of the pictures you see can you find 20 inches of extra junk?:)

dana
02-17-2007, 05:02 PM
So here's the breakdown for those that want to know.

Right Left Diff
Mainbeam 21 6/8 23 1 2/8
G1 3 2/8 2 4/8 6/8
G2 17 1/8 19 2/8 2 1/8
G3 9 5/8 12 2 3/8
G4 9 8 2/8 6/8
H1 5 7/8 6 1/8
H2 5 7/8 5 7/8 0
H3 4 2/8 5 6/8
H4 6 1/8 5 1 1/8

Total 82 7/8 86 7/8 9 2/8

Estimated inside spread 19
Gross typical score 188 6/8
Net typical score 179 4/8

A1 11 1/8 3 6/8
A2 3 2 3/8
A3 1 1 3/8

Total 15 1/8 7 4/8

Total Adnormal Points 22 5/8
Gross Nontypical score 211 3/8
Net Nontypical score 202 1/8

dana
02-17-2007, 05:09 PM
StoneChaser,
Nice Tall and Narrow buck. Good forks but the short G4 on the one side and the narrow inside spread probably keeps that buck in the mid 170's. That's my guess.

dana
02-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Blacktail Stalker,
Lighten up and have a Pop. ;) I don't see where anyone is being $hit on here. Just some lively converstation to pass the winter time blues. Would you rather read the same old same old, "Nice Buck, Thanks For Sharing." :) That is the classic line on hunting sites. Don't ya think that makes for a rather boring thread. 20 'nice bucks thanks for sharing' and 1 or 2 guys that change it up by saying, 'sweet buck, congrats.' Just because a thread has some lively discussion doesn't mean anything other than we are all bored and are trying desperatly not to fall asleep reading the usual threads.

Gamebuster
02-17-2007, 05:34 PM
I here ya Dana...bring on some more if you got em..

thcaron
02-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I guessed about 180 but I don't trophy hunt looking at the size of the animal about 170 - 190 ponds dressed out

thcaron
02-17-2007, 05:37 PM
sorry meant pounds

bruin
02-17-2007, 06:31 PM
SSS
Nice buck, but I think he lacks in his width and main beams to be a 180". I would say mid 170's. Good thread by the way.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-17-2007, 06:40 PM
SSS??? I never posted any mule buck pics.......I've never even had my hands on any good mulie kills by anyone let alone myself:redface: .

You guys addressing Stonechaser? But I can see gow you would get us two mixed up(yeah, right... In my dreams:roll: )

SSS

Will
02-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Well here's another..........:lol:
Guess the Score :|
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/IMG_1335.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/IMG_1338.JPG

oscar makonka
02-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Dana, that video buck got no mass, Unless he's got stovepipes comin out of his head I aint shootin. Looks like a 3 1/2 year old deer.

dana
02-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Oscar,
The score sheet was posted up already for that buck. Check out the H measurements. :) We have 2 sets of shed antlers from him that predate the set he's packin in the video, so I would say he is indeed older than 3 1/2. LOL!

Gamebuster
02-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Will,
125" gross is my guess...definately got some character....:)

mark
02-17-2007, 07:22 PM

BHF,

Mark,
Maybe you need to spend more time over on MM and looking at big bucks if you doubt my score. You obviously need some practice as you think this buck is a 170 class dink and yet you think that buck on your trail cam is a monster. ;)

Dude, i didnt doubt yer score, i was just saying that it didnt look that big from the pics (to me, and many others here)

Wherever did you get the idea, that i thought the buck from my t-cam thread, was a monster??? I sure never said that or thought that! :confused:

StoneChaser
02-17-2007, 09:06 PM
StoneChaser,
Nice Tall and Narrow buck. Good forks but the short G4 on the one side and the narrow inside spread probably keeps that buck in the mid 170's. That's my guess.

He scored 178 2/8" Gross (Inside Spread = Just Shy of 17", Smallest H = 4 5/8")

StoneChaser

Will
02-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Will,
125" gross is my guess...definately got some character..
Yes........I actually don't even remember, I seen the "good side" from afar and dumped him.......my 1st Big Muley:|
I now try and Glass both sides of the rack :lol: ;-)

Nice Buck Stonechaser 8)

hunter1947
02-18-2007, 05:31 AM
I would guess 123 gross points. hunter 1947.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
This is serious mass. :lol:

dana
02-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Yup the Buck of Justice was one Heavy Buck but it doesn't come close to the heaviest of them all, the Dewdney Buck.

Will
02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Yup the Buck of Justice was one Heavy Buck but it doesn't come close to the heaviest of them all, the Dewdney Buck.
Ahhhhh Yes the "Dewdney Buck"........? :|

Doesn't hold spit to the "WILL BUCK" ! 8)

(It "WILL" never make Book.....:lol: :oops: )

hunter1947
02-20-2007, 05:48 AM
This is serious mass. :lol: That is one nice set of sheds your holding there ,i would like to of had him in my cross hairs when he was alive. :lol: hunter 47.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Hunter ,Thats not me holding the sheds of the world famous Justice buck .I am much younger and better looking then that guy. :lol:

dana
02-20-2007, 04:53 PM
And you don't live in the land of Utard. ;)

MB_Boy
02-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Steve.......do you know of pictures of this Dewdney Buck or did I just fall for something hook, line and sinker? :oops: :wink:

I love the trash racks.

dana
02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
MB,
The Dewdney Buck is the BC Provincial #1 Nontypical and the #2 in the World. It scores 339 2/8. They don't get any Heavier.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Dewdney1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Dewdney2.jpg

MB_Boy
02-20-2007, 05:38 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh my lord!!

Wow........thanks Steve!

mark
02-20-2007, 06:50 PM
That buck was taken in the south okanagan way back in the early 1900's, if im not mistaken, and the number 1 in northern alberta. If im right, not 100% sure on them stats, but thats my undestanding.

dana
02-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Mark, actually new evidence has come to light that has the Dewdney buck coming out of the Chilcotin. When it was first scored, the entry measurement was 380. At the Panel no one could agree on the score. They pretty much settled on the 339 measurement due to running out of time. No doubt the mass makes starting points tough to figure out.

horse280
02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
seen a few,i,m going in the vicinity of 211 nt...bye the way pretty uniqe buck this year,congrats

rick stewart
02-20-2007, 07:52 PM
low 150 wondering if it is a horsefly deer

hunter1947
02-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi Hunter ,Thats not me holding the sheds of the world famous Justice buck .I am much younger and better looking then that guy. :lol: LOL :lol: , i see it is only a clip ,LOL hunter 47.

Gamebuster
02-20-2007, 08:49 PM
...new evidence has come to light that has the Dewdney buck coming out of the Chilcotin....

Dude, whats the evidence?

MattB
02-20-2007, 08:50 PM
There was an update in one of the newer editions of Trophy Deer of BC

rick stewart
02-20-2007, 08:58 PM
check out a book called trophy deer of b.c it has the storey on this buck it came from a native band near bella coola in the 1880 was given to first lieutenant governor of b.c

dave_fras
02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
im not gonna lie... i would have drilled him haha

Jelvis
12-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Field judge, arm chair quarter back .. lol .. all the photos are gone or whaaa ?
Jelly ( up from the depths ) Pro duck shinz