PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Methods

Cyrus
02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Gonna try my luck at Burbot fishing through the ice...any tips/bait suggestions? first timer..

BRvalley
02-24-2014, 11:48 AM
they spawn under the ice, anywhere from feb to apr depending on location (usually regional differences there), they are deep water fish, look for the first deep break at the mouth of bays, or mid lake flats close to deep water, try to find the edges of the flat, natural "highways" for fish moving about during the day...they are usually aggressive and especially so during the spawn, it won't take long to get a bite if you are close to fish

fish heavy jigs or spoons and let them hit bottom, stir up sediments to attract them....fishin set lines with bait is obviously a good option as well, they aren't too picky, ripe beef or chicken liver is a common bait, if the regs for you area allow dead fish bait, that'll work good

they don't fight too much, more of a dead weight with some tail wiggles, don't usually get a line peeling run like with a laker or a big pike

they are very tasty (great white meat for fish n chips) but I don't think it's worth it to keep one unless it's 5-10 lbs, which isn't too hard on most burbot lake, I think the small ones aren't worth the effort for not a lot meat, I let em grow bigger

Mikey Rafiki
02-24-2014, 11:56 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?104043-Burbot-Fishing&highlight=burbot

This was just brought up a few weeks ago and there is some great info in this thread ^

newhunterette
02-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Love burbot fishing but have never tried ice fishing them.... Need to get a sled to get into our cabin in winter then can ice fish for them.... Hopefully next year