PDA

View Full Version : kuiu yukon jacket

71_camaro
02-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone used this jacket this year for backpack hunting.
is it as good as the hype?
Any real life comparisons with a sitka cold front jacket or a kuiu guide jacket?

lorneparker1
02-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Just wondering if anyone used this jacket this year for backpack hunting.
is it as good as the hype?
Any real life comparisons with a sitka cold front jacket or a kuiu guide jacket?

I own the guide, Yukon and the stika stormfront jacket. Prior to buying the Yukon I used the guide and stormfront together for a shitty weather waterproof layering system. I feel the Yukon to me is the first truly water proof softish shell jacket around and for me it has replaced the other 2.. Its a bit heavier then the guide and the stormfront individually, but since I wore them both quite a bit when it was crappy out, its lighter then the combo. ( if you are an oz counter) The material is so much more durable then either IMO. I still wear the guide jacket on super nice days hiking, but after oct, it sits in the closet.

Andrewh
02-23-2014, 05:37 PM
I have the Yukon and the Guide jackets. Guide is good for early season with little to no rain, it will work with a little drizzle but past that I would be looking for my Yukon.

I love my Yukon jacket, breathes very well. On my sheep hunt this past year I was wearing it with a t-shirt on underneath in 20-25* weather while hiking when the bugs were horrible. It works as advertised and beyond.

Everett
02-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Just picked up a first lite jacket from Vantage Point and can't say enough good things about it price was good as well.

Ruger.270
02-23-2014, 10:07 PM
hey lorneparker1 - very curious on the noise level of the Yukon jacket ??? quiet enough to wear when its not pouring for timber hunting island blacktails? how loud in comparison to other products like the stormfront? I've wanted to buy this setup for a while but very leery about loud raingear in close quarters timberhunting

lorneparker1
02-23-2014, 10:21 PM
hey lorneparker1 - very curious on the noise level of the Yukon jacket ??? quiet enough to wear when its not pouring for timber hunting island blacktails? how loud in comparison to other products like the stormfront? I've wanted to buy this setup for a while but very leery about loud raingear in close quarters timberhunting

In short yes. Its not soft shell quiet, but its damn close. I would say its somewhere in the middle between softshell (guide) and the stormfront leaning more towards the softshell. If 1 is the quietest and 10 is the loudest, i would give it a 3. However if its not raining, and its not planning to rain, i would wear the guide, because i have both and the guide is lighter and quieter. But if i had to choose one all around jacket its the yukon. I would have no problem wearing the Yukon in that situation.

Ruger.270
02-23-2014, 10:48 PM
awesome - sounds like one heck of a piece of gear - thanks for the reply. any experience with the Yukon gloves or pants?

71_camaro
02-23-2014, 10:57 PM
thanks for the replys. I think I know what my next jacket will be :-D

TSW
02-24-2014, 12:44 AM
In short yes. Its not soft shell quiet, but its damn close. I would say its somewhere in the middle between softshell (guide) and the stormfront leaning more towards the softshell. If 1 is the quietest and 10 is the loudest, i would give it a 3. However if its not raining, and its not planning to rain, i would wear the guide, because i have both and the guide is lighter and quieter. But if i only had one i would have no problem wearing the Yukon in that situation.

The pants are as good as the jacket. Really well built, quiet. The stretch in the material is amazing, it makes the pants very comfortable. Definitely a great product.

SR80
02-24-2014, 08:22 AM
I just got a yukon last week, wore it out yesterday in the wind and -12. Breathed well, kept the wind out. Pretty quiet too. Sucks I got dinged duty on it though, that was the first time ive ever got charged duty when ordering from kuiu.

lorneparker1
02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
awesome - sounds like one heck of a piece of gear - thanks for the reply. any experience with the Yukon gloves or pants?

I don't have the pants or the gloves. But I have heard nothing but awesome things about either of them and they are getting added to the arsenal this year forsure.

mountainman
02-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Gloves are on the large side, they'll keep you dry as they are meant to and the pants are right up there with the jacket! I bought the entire set this last fall, I really like the set.

Ruger.270
02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
how are the dexterity with the gloves? ive heard their too stiff to do anything with them on? it would be nice to be able to hunt properly with them on (shoot, glass, operate zippers etc)

mountainman
02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Dexterity is lost somewhat. In a pinch you might be able to shoot with them on, doing up zippers would be fine, glassing is fine, they are made out of the same cloth as the jacket and pants. I'd recommend a lineer glove under them if hunting in the colder weather as there is no insulation factor to them at all. I bought the large gloves and I would have no problem putting a lighter glove in for a liner, my hands are probably average size for a 6' 190lb man.....

One thing to keep in mind is to keep the hard objects from rubbing the material, I had extra shells in a pocket and wore a hole in the pocket.

Ruger.270
02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
thx mountainman been wondering about this re: the gloves for a while. wonder about ordering a size down to have a tighter fit it that would help? (or maybe it would make it worse?)

mountainman
02-24-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure I'd order down a size, they're not really meant to be a shooting glove I don't think. There isn't enough feel through them in my opinion.
I never really put them to the test this fall myself as I only did day hunts and mainly in good weather.....
I'd say order some and try them out but they'll be a tough resell if you don't like them just because of the stiff price tag attached....