PDA

View Full Version : Spring bear vs fall bear meat and fat quality question

weiss
02-23-2014, 09:06 AM
hello folks. I hunt bear for a few seasons, but always in a fall, because I have been told looong time ago that fall is better. Something about them being nuorished and better tasting. My son wants to go for spring bear because he won't have time in a fall. So I wonder if spring bear is worth going for. I also save all the fat, salt and cure it the same way pork fat is cured (AKA "salo"), and I wonder if spring bear will have big enough layer of fat on its back. Then again, I also melt away and can all inner fat, those grape-shaped strings of fat, I wonder if spring bear have much of it. And yet another question, if bear hide is worth tanning from spring bear.

Sitkaspruce
02-23-2014, 09:53 AM
I prefer fall berry bears over spring bears for the meat and flavour, although you will 3x the fat. Spring bears for the coat.

We used to hunt spring bears for the trophy and fall for the meat. Stay away from fish bears in the fall....

Cheers

SS

sarg
02-23-2014, 09:59 AM
I prefer a good fall bear over a spring bear, but that being said, spring bear is one of my favorite times to hunt, you get to see so much game durning the spring its not even funny plus it break the cabin fever from winter,

Rhyla
02-23-2014, 10:48 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to try a fall bear yet, but both my fiance and I got spring bears last season and they were delicious. Absolutely no complaints meat wise.

weiss
02-23-2014, 10:50 AM
...although you will 3x the fat.

I take all the fat, the more the better. So, I guess all my early-season berry bears were about the best I could get.

weiss
02-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Rhyla hi. Actually all my bears were taken in Powell River area too, just East of Lois lake.

monasheemountainman
02-23-2014, 11:36 AM
spring bear breaks up the seasons great, it is a tonne of fun, and you can sleep in! coats are great earlier than later, go out and have fun, even if you gotta turn it all into pep, and burger

Sitkaspruce
02-23-2014, 11:42 AM
I take all the fat, the more the better. So, I guess all my early-season berry bears were about the best I could get.

I shoot all my bears in mid-late October, high up on the south facing slopes. I usually hope for a couple frosts as the berries get sugary and produce more energy/fat. These bears are really fat at this time and have great flavour and nice hides. Just remember that bears "look" bigger at this time of year so look for a nice one as the small ones will have bones, fat and not much for meat.

Spring bears are good as well, but you just never know if it has been feeding on rotten fish all fall or berries.

Good luck!!

Cheers

SS

Steeleco
02-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Taken plenty of both season bears in our party of three. Can't say as I've even noticed a difference in taste, but as mentioned the fat is better and more abundant in fall and the hide tends to be better if caught in time in the spring. Spring bear is lots of fun, and great excuse to get out of the house!!