PDA

View Full Version : Yorkton SK hunting info

02-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Hey guys,
Im planing on putting in for the wt tag in Yorkton Sask where my grandma lives. The town sits on the border of region 39 and 37 so I'm not sure where to put in for.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=4ba4c54b-0628-45ac-938a-f86db3995771&MediaID=6c8a9bbc-8289-4f26-ab79-c8d042d5fa06&Filename=2013+WMZ+Map+Page.pdf&l=English

Just wondering if anyone has hunted around there and could point me in the right direction. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help.

John.

pronghorn
02-21-2014, 01:11 PM
They are both good areas, you just have to get permission for private land. Best bet is go to prairemapping and get a RM map and that gives you names of the property owners and start calling, unless you have family or friends in area that you can go with.
The deer numbers were way down last season due to long bad winters, this year it's been a better winter out here for sure so let's hope.

Like I said though two good areas if I had to pick it would be 39 as it borders 40 where I live, Buchanan and North is a great area, hope this helps.

gunsight
02-22-2014, 05:20 AM
pronghorn : i hear that the dear in and around the good spirit pasture have suffered also . is that true ?

pronghorn
02-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Yes gunfight this is very true, the deer numbers are down 60-70 percent in most areas there was not that many big bucks shot or seen this year. But like I said this winter is way better as we don't have the snow in most areas. The northern zones are in deep snow but seems like central and southern are good so far.
Even the mulies took a toll last winter, but moose and elk are doing great.

knighthunter
02-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Having spent a lot of time in the area, I too would pick 39. Not being sure how far north that area covers but I saw quite a few deer around Crystal Lake last summer.

.300WSMImpact!
02-22-2014, 02:17 PM
neither of these areas would be my first choice if I was hunting in sask, but I would go to the north there is a park that way and its crown land, the deer have been hit hard in the last three years I would say 160's would be the max in the area specially with very little scouting, but the deer will taste good!

02-22-2014, 04:37 PM
thanks for the response and the two pm's, I have hunted Sask before, I know this isn't the best area, but I am going to yorkton to help out my grandma with a few things at her house,I am going with one other guy to hunt with while I'm there. last time I hunted around rose town and had no problem getting access to properties as most farmers were just glad that we came to them to ask for permission. Im looking for advice on what management zone to put in for and any other info on zone 37 and 39.
thanks again

John