PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear hunting

misinformation
02-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Could someone give me a few links that explains the basics of bear hunting (probably near the LML), I realize the subject has probably been beaten to death
I've found some good ID threads and was thinking more tactics and maybe vague x's on a map to check out

coach
02-21-2014, 12:38 AM
What information are you looking for? X's on a map? Identification of males / females / small / large bears? Caliber, bullet or broad head choice? Your question is kind of vague.

Just
02-21-2014, 06:55 AM
I would also like to know what to look for in terain, low elevations, valley bottoms, or do I gotta hike the hills? Looking to get my first spring bear come April and am charged up, just need to get off on the right foot. I'd prefer to hunt near Harrison, Boston Bar, Coquihella, Chehalis areas. I'd say chilliwack but I've lived here my whole life and never seen a bear.

Papa Sasquatch
02-21-2014, 07:02 AM
That is pretty much what I was gonna ask! I need my first Spring Black Bear in April. South East BC pretty much anywhere. So I will learn with you buddy.

monasheemountainman
02-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Go anywhere in the bush in pretty much anywhere in bc and you are bear hunting. If you wanna get one in April there will still be lots of snow in most places so lower elevation, first nice patch of green grass is the ticket. You will have better luck in may, look for greened up roads, hill sides, cut blocks and the biggest give away of all, bear shit.

There you go bear hunting 101.... And for you chilliwack I'm pretty sure there are lots of bears in your neck of the woods

bc_buckshot
02-21-2014, 08:11 AM
To find bears or if your just lucky you gotta be like a bear. You gotta know how they walk, talk, scratch their head when bees are around. You have to live outside with them where they sleep you gotts sleep too there. You have to eat grass, berrys, fish, even have to eat a dead mouse. Stay outside in the rain, snow, sleet, sun, floods, even fog. Then maybe you will be lucky enough to go around the coner if the road and see a fluffy balll of fur run away.

now if you every see a bear for a long time its your lucky day. Go bye a lotto ticket because you will never see him again. Dont tell anyone because they wont believe you. But if you dont stay still. They have the worst nose and hearing that lives on Gods green earth. But there weapon is there radar eyes. They can see a fly fart a mile away. Be very scared because they are #3 dangerous animal ever. Right after the Williams Lake Overlander keno player, bears are just out right crazy. Next your gonna need a plan, a huge gun. Nothing smaller than binford 3000 ultra light housier XP... Shoot that bear until you cant shoot no more because thats still not enough. My suggestion is keep dreaming of shooting him. Then get your momma to shoot him and the kitchen sink. Everything you got because bears have 9 lives. They are called the Bengal Bear for a reason. And if you actually get the bear down you better get a second lotto ticket. And dont tell anyonr because they wont believe you. Nobody actually on record have taken a bear.. But one guy... I cant tell because i dont want to tell you it was me. Nobody will believe me. Or you.

I hope this information help and best of luck my friend. Your gonna need it and God speed... And if this doesnt help which i would be surprised if it doesnt give me a pm. I just actually made breakfast for yogi and boo so they would pick up another thieft/robbery charge for taking someones picnic basket.

Moe.JKU
02-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Looking to get mine this year, and have been cruising the search funtion a lot. It looks like anywhere will hold bears, just depends on the numbers you want to see. I have looked for south facing slopes with cutblocks, as well as a few empty forestry roads that are abomdoned to find grassy areas.
A good place to start or where I am starting this year is picking a general area on the backroads mapbook that has 4x4 access only or not in service roads, park, get out and stalk lower elevations at the beginning and then moving upwards later on. They are wanting to get food right away, so look into what they are eating in your area, in this time of year and pound the bush, you should find a nice one.

Lots of info on here though old threads, reports etc. Start there is always a good place

monasheemountainman
02-21-2014, 09:13 AM
To find bears or if your just lucky you gotta be like a bear. You gotta know how they walk, talk, scratch their head when bees are around. You have to live outside with them where they sleep you gotts sleep too there. You have to eat grass, berrys, fish, even have to eat a dead mouse. Stay outside in the rain, snow, sleet, sun, floods, even fog. Then maybe you will be lucky enough to go around the coner if the road and see a fluffy balll of fur run away.

now if you every see a bear for a long time its your lucky day. Go bye a lotto ticket because you will never see him again. Dont tell anyone because they wont believe you. But if you dont stay still. They have the worst nose and hearing that lives on Gods green earth. But there weapon is there radar eyes. They can see a fly fart a mile away. Be very scared because they are #3 dangerous animal ever. Right after the Williams Lake Overlander keno player, bears are just out right crazy. Next your gonna need a plan, a huge gun. Nothing smaller than binford 3000 ultra light housier XP... Shoot that bear until you cant shoot no more because thats still not enough. My suggestion is keep dreaming of shooting him. Then get your momma to shoot him and the kitchen sink. Everything you got because bears have 9 lives. They are called the Bengal Bear for a reason. And if you actually get the bear down you better get a second lotto ticket. And dont tell anyonr because they wont believe you. Nobody actually on record have taken a bear.. But one guy... I cant tell because i dont want to tell you it was me. Nobody will believe me. Or you.

I hope this information help and best of luck my friend. Your gonna need it and God speed... And if this doesnt help which i would be surprised if it doesnt give me a pm. I just actually made breakfast for yogi and boo so they would pick up another thieft/robbery charge for taking someones picnic basket.

a work of art right there, bang on my friend

two-feet
02-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Lots of info on here already but...

Bear hunting is by far the easiest way to harvest a big game animal in BC as there are lots of them and they are predictable in their habits. That being said, you have to be where the bears are. If I lived in the LML I would get up a few hours earier and head to where there is less competition and the bears are less educated.
So...bears want food. As stated, find the areas that have greened up and then start looking for the elusive bear poop. Once you start seeing multiple fresh piles you have found your happy hunting grounds. Morning and evenings are best. Still hunt, spot and stalk, pred calling all works. Good places to start are cut blocks, power lines, south facing hills. Swampy meadows can be good.
When you spot a bear make damn sure it does not have cubs with it.

Any newbs that are in or coming to the Smithers area can contact me and we can go out together or I can point you in the right direction. Bears are like rabbits up here.

gutpile
02-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Every time someone post a thread asking where to hunt ,and please put an X on the
map , the frist thing i do is look how many times they have posted . It's usually the first or second post. Ha Ha Ha

misinformation
02-21-2014, 09:41 AM

that just Made my day

misinformation
02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Every time someone post a thread asking where to hunt ,and please put an X on the
map , the frist thing i do is look how many times they have posted . It's usually the first or second post. Ha Ha Ha

come on we all need to sleep

HarryToolips
02-21-2014, 09:56 AM

LOL thats some good sh$t right there.. and seriously, bears are attracted to beer and toothpaste, if you drink lots of beer the night before, and they smell you, they will be attracted to you cause you smell like bread to them..if ya don't believe me, look it up.. bears have great hearing, terrible eyesight, and insane good smell, about 7 times better than a bloodhound I believe so 1000's of times better than a human..so stay downwind, contrary to what people think, most of them are scared to death of people.. when you see one, watch it for a long time, making sure there are no cubs around, otherwise you will feel like a bag of sh$t.. boars are generally bigger, and have bigger craniums giving them more distance between the ears.. black bears have a straight profile to their face, griz more of the dish-shaped face..sure, most griz also have the hump, but not always they say, so go by the profile of the face cause you don't wanna shoot a griz unless you have a LEH.. like they said before, south-facing green slopes and cut-blocks are your best bet.. a good pair of binos with spot-and-stalk tactics I like the best..

Steelpulse
02-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Can always try and call one in, take rabbit distress call and start wailing away in the bush, they will come charging in so be careful, works if there is sign around.

itsy bitsy xj
02-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Most of the bears I have seen are in the early afternoon when the sun has warmed everything up. Not sure if its because thats when the bears like to be out or because it when I like to be out lol. South facing slope with lots of sunshine.
Seen lots but never bagged one :(

headhunter2
02-21-2014, 10:22 AM
One thing I don't see mentioned about watching the bear is to make sure it has no fur rubs if you are looking for a mount or rug. You would not believe the number of times I have been told how easy it was to shoot a bear and when I ask how the mount turned out I was told it was too rubbed and not worth mounting.

misinformation
02-21-2014, 11:03 AM
thanks for all the feedback, to the guys who shoot bears year after year, what do you do with the fur?

bc_buckshot
02-21-2014, 11:16 AM
The bears fur i get twice a year i put them over my body, drive downtown vancouver and crawl on all fours and watch everyone scream saying there is crazy large raccoon loose in the city

Spy
02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
LOL thats some good sh$t right there.. and seriously, bears are attracted to beer and toothpaste, if you drink lots of beer the night before, and they smell you, they will be attracted to you cause you smell like bread to them..if ya don't believe me, look it up.. bears have great hearing, terrible eyesight, and insane good smell, about 7 times better than a bloodhound I believe so 1000's of times better than a human..so stay downwind, contrary to what people think, most of them are scared to death of people.. when you see one, watch it for a long time, making sure there are no cubs around, otherwise you will feel like a bag of sh$t.. boars are generally bigger, and have bigger craniums giving them more distance between the ears.. black bears have a straight profile to their face, griz more of the dish-shaped face..sure, most griz also have the hump, but not always they say, so go by the profile of the face cause you don't wanna shoot a griz unless you have a LEH.. like they said before, south-facing green slopes and cut-blocks are your best bet.. a good pair of binos with spot-and-stalk tactics I like the best..
Best way to tell a grizz from a black bear is to check thier teeth;-). So get close up and say "aaah,"you will soon find out that a grizz has much bigger teeth!;-)

avadad
02-21-2014, 12:01 PM

I was going to say the same thing!

avadad
02-21-2014, 12:06 PM
I would also like to know what to look for in terain, low elevations, valley bottoms, or do I gotta hike the hills? Looking to get my first spring bear come April and am charged up, just need to get off on the right foot. I'd prefer to hunt near Harrison, Boston Bar, Coquihella, Chehalis areas. I'd say chilliwack but I've lived here my whole life and never seen a bear.

Try the Skagit valley. Lots of bears around.

itsy bitsy xj
02-21-2014, 12:11 PM
The bears fur i get twice a year i put them over my body, drive downtown vancouver and crawl on all fours and watch everyone scream saying there is crazy large raccoon loose in the city

That was you??? LOL I was going to head down there with my slingshot and try and get me a rac-quatch

gutpile
02-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Try the Skagit valley. Lots of bears around.Watch out for ticks in the Skagit !!

srupp
02-21-2014, 02:14 PM
send me a PM with your Ph # and I will give you a call...with some general information...if you have some questions I will try and answer them...

cheers

Steven Rupp

Williams Lake

bc_buckshot
02-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Okay guys enough of the funny business. We all were there once trying to get a bear but didnt know where to start. Give the guy a break or at least the GSP numbers where the bears are. And last note this is the last time I give my knowlege out for free and infomation I was giving first hand about the mighty bear.

1= Weather: Would you like to be out in 35 Degrees wearing a thick black coat? Same with the bears or any other animal. Work hard in the early mornings and just around dinner time when the sun drops behind the mountians to see bears come out. Look for food. Grass, Fish, buttercups ect. Where there is food there is bear poop. Bears when they first come out from sleeping there are gonna be hungry and dumb. Would you not eat for a day because its raining? Of course not so do bears. Bears gotta eat rain or shine

2-Location= Bears are everywhere. From up north to Vancouver Island and even Burnaby mountian. Where there is Gods green earth there will be bears. Because you dont see signs doesnt mean there is bears. Hunt locations that provide drainage, clear cuts, logging roads, and less traffic. The bear rut is normally from mid May-June 15. When you see a bear that time most likely there will be a second.

3-Size= To know forsure if its a Boar or Sow only way to know is if you ask to see under its hind leg. Good luck!. Boars tend to be larger of the 2 if your see 2 large bears together. Boars more so have a longer more soild nose or snout. Big block head and walk like there a bad ass. You will forsure know if you see a big boar when it looks at you and then look away walking away slowly. He knows he is the man. Sows and small bears will have ears like a shepard. Bigger than it body. Belly will be not as close to the ground. Legs bigger than the body and ears up tight together.

4= Finding a bear. Focus on clear cuts that produce large areas of grass, clover, and burnt stumps that grown new grass around it. Logging roads like look like they have not been drove on for years thats grow butter cups and grass in the middle. Near swamp areas that produce food, water, cover, and cooler temp.

5= Bears weapons= They say they can see well but I say there sight is sh*t. But I swear by it that there nose and ears will bust you and win every time if you dont play it right. Use the wind against the bear. Watch which way the wind is going and make sure its not towards the bear. Those wind checks are your best friend. Im not knocking calling bears but it isnt for me and I would never do it. Once you see a bear your heart is racing. Now calling it and having is run towards your calling then try to figure if its a good size after the fact is putting more stree on you to make a good shot. Bears are tough dont let that fool you. You have to make a good shot because you dont want that 600lbs sucker roll down the steep bank after you shot it then now you gotta pack it out.

At last dont focus on too much about bears in due time it will come to you. I beleive that getting a bear are one of the first animals most people get. The big thing is to figure out what your gonna do with it after. Here are some of my experiance with bears. Not much but give you an idea.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/Tree%20Stand%20pics%20and%20video/th_Aug242011Part2.jpg (http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/Tree%20Stand%20pics%20and%20video/Aug242011Part2.mp4)
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/Tree%20Stand%20pics%20and%20video/GetAttachment17.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/Tree%20Stand%20pics%20and%20video/GetAttachment17.jpg.html)
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/Black%20Bear%20Hunting/Sept25bear.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/Black%20Bear%20Hunting/Sept25bear.jpg.html)

bc_buckshot
02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/First%20Bow%20hunt%20Sept%201%202012/photo3.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/First%20Bow%20hunt%20Sept%201%202012/photo3.jpg.html)
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/First%20Bow%20hunt%20Sept%201%202012/IMG_3805.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/First%20Bow%20hunt%20Sept%201%202012/IMG_3805.jpg.html)
First bow kill
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/bc_buckshot/photob_zps9ce3d258.jpg (http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/bc_buckshot/media/photob_zps9ce3d258.jpg.html)

Just
02-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Wow I just asked a general question of terain and its up to 3 pages already. Thanks! So my next question is. I know its best to shoot the bear in the back of my truck, but if I say shoot it way in the bush after hiking 3km or something, is it feesable to drag it back, I'm thinkin NO! I'm gonna skin it, quarter it, debone and get it back. And if the pelts nice I'll bring that too. Newbie here remember. Haven't even shot my first deer yet. Go easy.

bc_buckshot
02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Wow I just asked a general question of terain and its up to 3 pages already. Thanks! So my next question is. I know its best to shoot the bear in the back of my truck, but if I say shoot it way in the bush after hiking 3km or something, is it feesable to drag it back, I'm thinkin NO! I'm gonna skin it, quarter it, debone and get it back. And if the pelts nice I'll bring that too. Newbie here remember. Haven't even shot my first deer yet. Go easy.

Excuse me new guy JUST.... I believe that Mr Misinformation started this thread and you leeched on with anothet question. Thats called high jacking son!!! You can be in serious trouble here. This site isnt a game! It would be best if you PM every member on here now explaning yourself and next rounds on you.

BChunter
02-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Young-gun junior, Buckshot has some solid advise and shot some big Yogi's. Best to not get serious, take your time to be sure its got good fur and no cubs. Even a smaller bear with good fur is a fun hunt. Glass for anything black like burnt stumps in old clear cuts that are moving. You will have some time, watch for cubs for a couple minutes. They will be small and close by.
Lastly, I prefer to shoot em through the shoulders. Black Bears and Griz need to be "anchored". Trust me, they will spin and growl and so keep shooting!. You might drive right up to the bear and a few extra holes is nothing to stich on a bear fur! I have one tanned on felt with a flat face. Hold out for good fur, no rubbed rump or shoulders. If you lose a wounded bear in thick bush, get some ones dog and go in later. Bright or foamy blood will likely be lungs or artery blood. Any good bullet should go through the shoulder bone and into the chest. Good hunting and contact SRupp. He will give you solid advise on the tel.

markomoose
02-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Never seen one?Are they hairy??

358jess
02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
If you are hoofing it look for ripped up stumps and rotting logs as well as small trees that have been "topped" bitten off by a boar marking his turf. You will only find prints in mud due to their soft feet.

two-feet
02-21-2014, 10:31 PM
I personally am looking for a 120lb meat bear and the hide is of no importance. If I did knock down a big one with a fine hide I would get it tanned but for me that is secondary. Therefore I will be looking for the heart/lung shot so as to ruin as little meat as possible. I have no problem packing an animal a fair distance, for some perverse reason I actually prefer to work for my meat. Shooting an animal in the ditch works (been there) but as I age the expirience of the hunt as a whole is important to me.
Watching your kids chow down on bear sausage is a good feeling!
Good luck out there and be safe. I take the 12ga with me in case I have to follow a bear into the thick stuff after the shot.
Looking forward to the start of the season as well!

VancouverSkiBum
02-22-2014, 12:16 AM
good stuff thanks

Just
02-22-2014, 07:44 AM
sorry bout the hijacking my bad

Hodaka
02-22-2014, 09:49 AM
That is pretty much what I was gonna ask! I need my first Spring Black Bear in April. South East BC pretty much anywhere. So I will learn with you buddy.
South East BC? Yup, head for a little place called Grasmere. Then head east - you'll find bears.

Papa Sasquatch
02-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Keeping it simple: Anywhere South of PG, Between The Island and Alberta border. There has to be a delicious big ass bear in there but I have the Grasmere Coordinates, thank you. :^)

Spy
02-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Good thread misinformation & just in time for spring bear,maybe you guys see Papa Squatch out there. Please take plenty pics & hope to read your story. I heard that the Great bear rain forest is a hot spot for monster blackies in spring.;-)

Just
02-22-2014, 07:53 PM
So I just watched a bunch of videos of how to process a bear and I gotta admit I'm pretty intimidated. Do most of hunters do this or do most shoot the bear and have someone else process the bear for table fair. I mean I'm down with doin a deer myself but a bear just seems like a whole new creature!

Fella
02-22-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't see much difference. Maybe more fat? Buddy and I cut up his spring bear last year and it turned out great. Took awhile because it was our first time but nothing to be intimidated of.

Just
02-22-2014, 08:00 PM
ya thats what I thought its just the bear butching video I watched was of a really really big bear and I just thought what where am I gonna dispose of all that fat!

358jess
02-22-2014, 08:11 PM
There will be literally no fat on a spring bear. don't sweat it.

Papa Sasquatch
02-22-2014, 10:07 PM
I hate to waste anything so I hope that I could light up my garage for months from a Fall Bear Fat
but at spring time! Not such expectation! Just a nice seat cover and lean meat and I will be happy.

two-feet
02-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Fat, no fat, who gives a shit. Roll up your sleaves and get involved, nothing better on this earth. So it takes you 1 hour, 4 hours, 10 hours. This is your winter meat. Have fun. It will only get faster as you learn. Take down your 1st bear, butcher it, make sausage and get drunk.

HarryToolips
02-22-2014, 11:43 PM
There will be literally no fat on a spring bear. don't sweat it.
Well not exactly..they actually continue to lose weight until about July they say, when berry season picks up, so they have more fat on em the sooner into the spring you shoot em..

358jess
02-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Well not exactly..they actually continue to lose weight until about July they say, when berry season picks up, so they have more fat on em the sooner into the spring you shoot em..

I've only shot spring bears around P.G. There is pretty much zero fat on them.

BearStump
02-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Fat, no fat, who gives a shit. Roll up your sleaves and get involved, nothing better on this earth. So it takes you 1 hour, 4 hours, 10 hours. This is your winter meat. Have fun. It will only get faster as you learn. Take down your 1st bear, butcher it, make sausage and get drunk.
This guy has it figured out. Really there is very little difference between butchering a deer or a bear. You asked about dragging a bear 3k out of the bush? hahaha good luck! No antlers to hold, the wrists are too damn big to get a grip around and it'll just be too damn heavy to carry whole. quarter it and pack it. Whatever you do, dont even waste your time carrying it from a pole like the one in my avatar. That was a day from hell.

Papa Sasquatch
02-23-2014, 05:58 PM
This guy has it figured out. Really there is very little difference between butchering a deer or a bear. You asked about dragging a bear 3k out of the bush? hahaha good luck! No antlers to hold, the wrists are too damn big to get a grip around and it'll just be too damn heavy to carry whole. quarter it and pack it. Whatever you do, dont even waste your time carrying it from a pole like the one in my avatar. That was a day from hell.
Don't type so fast I am writing this down :^)

REMINGTON JIM
02-23-2014, 06:21 PM

LMAO ! thats it ! :-D RJ

panhead
02-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Best way to get a spring bear IMHO is to go fishing in the interior. Rarely go without seeing them, seem to be magnetized by the dandelions on the side of the logging roads. Must love them ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisdom beats knowledge. Always.

misinformation
02-23-2014, 08:18 PM

love it, that's the best advice about field dressing I've heard in a while

HarryToolips
02-23-2014, 09:07 PM

Ok so one guy told me that when he gets his black bear, he just cuts off the 4 quarters and the head for a cool skull, thats all he takes, cause like he says, there ain't much meat on em anywhere else..makes sense to me if ya don't wanna keep the hide, since from my experience there ain't much meat on em anywhere else..you all think this is a good way to go if ya gotta pack er out a ways??

one-shot-wonder
02-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Your missing the loins (back straps) don't forget to pull off the straps for some good eats.

HarryToolips
02-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Your missing the loins (back straps) don't forget to pull off the straps for some good eats.
Right! And that's it??

rides bike to work
02-23-2014, 10:47 PM
I've been hunting bears in the lml for a few years now here is a few things I have learned.

I haven't seen many bears in April. Some bears den up high and some years the snow sticks around pretty long.

By the second week of may I am seeing quite a few bears. If you see lots of poop in a area come back that evening but this time play the wind and walk in quietly.this hAs worked for me. I'm sure my truck spooks lots of bears out of site just before I come around the corner.

bears mate around june15 it's hot by then the weeks before that the boars are cruising looking for ladies that's a good thing.

after June 15 the deer go deep in the woods to have there give birth . So do bears. I don't seem to see as many past then.

i see bears every year in the Chilliwack Harrison Boston bar jones lake skagit valley . Just not the one I want yet.

definatly one of my favorite hunts

SAVAGEONE
02-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Go anywhere in the bush in pretty much anywhere in bc and you are bear hunting. If you wanna get one in April there will still be lots of snow in most places so lower elevation, first nice patch of green grass is the ticket. You will have better luck in may, look for greened up roads, hill sides, cut blocks and the biggest give away of all, bear shit.

There you go bear hunting 101.... And for you chilliwack I'm pretty sure there are lots of bears in your neck of the woods
Nah, I spend a fair amount of time at the local Chilliwack watering holes, saw nothing but cougars.

:twisted::mrgreen:

andrewscag
02-24-2014, 12:57 AM
And take some fat to render down if there's enough nice clean stuff. Awesome high heat cooking grease

one-shot-wonder
02-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Right! And that's it??

If your keen you can take the inside loins as well......I don't gut bears so I just pop the quarters and take the loins. Haven't been bothered to pack out the rib cage in the past but it would probably be good as well.

BearSupreme
02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
To find chuck norris or if your just lucky you gotta be like chuck norris. You gotta know how they walk, talk, scratch their head when bees are around. You have to live outside with them where they sleep you gotts sleep too there. You have to eat grass, berrys, fish, even have to eat a dead mouse. Stay outside in the rain, snow, sleet, sun, floods, even fog. Then maybe you will be lucky enough to go around the coner if the road and see a fluffy balll of fur run away.

now if you every see chuck norris for a long time its your lucky day. Go bye a lotto ticket because you will never see him again. Dont tell anyone because they wont believe you. But if you dont stay still. chuck norris has the worst nose and hearing that lives on Gods green earth. But there weapon is there radar eyes. chuck norris can see a fly fart a mile away. Be very scared because they are #3 dangerous animal ever, after chuck norris andchuck norris. Right after the Williams Lake Overlander keno player, chuck norris is just out right crazy. Next your gonna need a plan, a huge gun. Nothing smaller than binford 3000 ultra light housier XP... Shoot chuck norris until you cant shoot no more because thats still not enough. My suggestion is keep dreaming of shooting him. Then get your momma to shoot him and the kitchen sink. Everything you got because chuck norris has 9 lives. chuck norris is called the Bengal Bear for a reason. And if you actually get chuck norris down you better get a second lotto ticket. And dont tell anyone because they wont believe you. Nobody actually on record has taken a chuck norris .. But one guy... I cant tell because i dont want to tell you it was me. Nobody will believe me. Or you.

replace "bear" with "chuck norris" and it all makes sense

bc_buckshot
02-25-2014, 03:52 PM
replace "bear" with "chuck norris" and it all makes sense

My friend.....I love your work.

BearStump
02-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Ok so one guy told me that when he gets his black bear, he just cuts off the 4 quarters and the head for a cool skull, thats all he takes, cause like he says, there ain't much meat on em anywhere else..makes sense to me if ya don't wanna keep the hide, since from my experience there ain't much meat on em anywhere else..you all think this is a good way to go if ya gotta pack er out a ways??

YUP. But I take the backstraps and claws too. (I've got a collection of claws.) bears are very muscular animals and the weight add's up fast.
We packed a bear that squared about 6'4". took quarters, backstraps and hide(head and paws attatched) we were 2 big guys in great shape and with packs that were well over 100 lbs each it was a pack out from hell. only about 2 k's to the quads but gnarly steep terrain. That one took a while, and if I was in danger of having a jammer, that would have been the day it happened for sure. Since that day I have become much more selective of the bears that I'll shoot.

hunter fisher
02-25-2014, 06:47 PM
not to jack this thread, but does anyone know if a taxidemerist can fix a medium size rub on a bear?