PDA

View Full Version : Parksville fishing

Brambles
02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
There us a good chance that I'm going to be going to Parksville for a conference at the end of May.

What's the scoop on fishing there that time of year? Any affordable charters based out of Parksville?

Is it worth heading out for a couple hours in the evenings? Conference probably ends 4-4:30 each day! Unless I play hooky....:mrgreen: A guys gotta do what a guys gotta do!!!!:-D

Fishing wharfs like in Campbell River?

Wouldnt mind taking advantage of the conference trip and bring home some Salmon!

Thanks

Jeff

MB_Boy
02-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Brambles....that is a great time for that entire area from Parksville, down to Nanaimo etc. I am sure it's good north of there too as the fish have to pass right down that side of the Island.

We run over from Vancouver and fish at Thrasher Rock area off the east side of Gabriola; generally the Nanaimo-ish area. Great fishery through May/June.

Not sure you can do much in the way of shore fishing that early.

PM en route. :wink:

silvertip0260
02-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Cant go wrong at that time of year, lot of Columbia fish running down the inside. Suppose to be another record run with many four year old fish. Was the best fishing in twenty years last year with fish over 30 pounds at that time. Fish out of French creek, close to all the hotspots, they also do charters there.

Sofa King
02-20-2014, 04:49 PM
there's guys from that area on here.
maybe they'll hook you up.(get it?...hook)

Brambles
02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
there's guys from that area on here.
maybe they'll hook you up.(get it?...hook)

Got it....hook....

Maybe someone will chime in. Got lots of time to plan.

lorneparker1
02-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Parksville area was on fire last year. But that's not normal. and I definitely wouldn't count on it again for this year. lol

Hook up with this guy at the end of may and you will slay. End of may in the comox/Courtenay area is usually on fire! I honestly cant remember ever having a shitty end of may. I live here and fish 3-5 times a week for may till sept.

http://www.crabbyscharters.com/

pnbrock
03-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Your welcome on my boat you can beat up a few at thrasher again !!

MB_Boy
03-19-2014, 08:14 PM

Those May marbles from Thrasher are the best eating! Fresh there is no better!

pnbrock
03-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Mmmmm marbled spring !! I concur !!

Brambles
03-23-2014, 08:21 AM

If the conference was on the mainland you'd be my first phone call. But Parksville is a good Jaunt and we only have part of the last day free.

An HBC member from That area has graciously offered to drag us around for some fishing.

and thanks a bunch to all the other guys who offered up alternatives. Makes a guy wish he had more time!!

riflebuilder
03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
good luck let us know how it goes'

Brambles
07-26-2014, 09:14 AM
good luck let us know how it goes'

Managed to get out with MWJ for a day of fishing, weather cooperated for most of the day. Our day was a late starter because of my schedual, but worked well with the tides. MWJ had the fish all scoped out and had a rig that was dialed in. Action was steady for the first couple hours, first fish was legal length and even though we wanted to release it we couldn't because it was bleeding heavily. No scale but probably 8 lbs ish.
next legal fish was 13 ish and we kept it, then another in the 10-11 lb range. All the while sorting through the smalls and all the damn bait stealing Haike (spelling??) probably caught 10-15 of those.

The 4th legal fish I decided to release in hopes of finding the big one. we did have a biggun on for a bit but it spat the hook, confident it was the best fish of the day by far.

we decided to try some plugs that the gear whore yours truly had bought in Parksville at Pacific net and twine hoping to keep the smalls off the line and target the bigger fish. After a couple hours trying something different we decided to throw MWJ's rig back on and see if the bite was over or our presentation that was lacking.

shortly after we started catching the smalls and Haike again. Wading through a good number of each, weather starting to get snotty, I was wondering if we were gonna get blown off the water with only 3 fish.... At last we got another legal fish, and although it wasn't the monster of my dreams...lol it was welcomed aboard and we headed home.

Met up with Andy aka Blacktailstalker and MWJ for lunch one day as well and had a good visit and BS session.

big thanks to MWJ for extending the invite to catch a couple salmon for the road home.

Sorry, no pics were taken, so I guess this is all a dream....lol