PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Shore Fishing Near the Lower Mainland

Sarge789
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to do a little saltwater shore fishing somewhere near the lower mainland (I live in between White Rock and Langley). I've actually just made a post expressing my desire to purchase an aluminum skiff, so as of right now I would be restricted to wader-depth water =)

So far this website has been a great resource for hunting and the likes, and I was hoping someone here might have some good tips for areas to go, what to look for, and patterns to use.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

-Sarge

coach
02-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Sarge - the lower mainland has some outstanding river fisheries: the Squamish system, Chilliwack/vedder, Chehailis, the Fraser, the Capilano. Have you tried any of those out? There is some shore fishing around the mouth of the Cap during the summer months - but you'll likely do better in the river. Closer to you, the Nicomeckel also has fish. Not sure what it's like where it enters into the ocean.

MB_Boy
02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Coach pretty much nailed it. I think until the salmon start running you are going to be hard pressed and even then the 'shore fishing' is tough unless you were around the mouth of one of the rivers.

One of the larger challenges locally is the fact that you have such wide, shallow tidal flats which may turn up a flounder or sole on occasion but I wouldn't bank on it.

Come later in the summer you can look to places like the mouth of the Cap or along the West Van shoreline. I know further out towards Lighthouse Park there are some beaches there where guys try for coho and pinks (and a chance at a spring) when they are in. Most I think tend to work the area along Ambleside and towards the Cap. There is also areas around the Seymour which I know get going when the pinks are running and around Cates Park in North Van.

You can also try the arms of the Fraser in Richmond when the salmon are coming in. I think there is more of a tendency in getting into some pinks when they are running but you just never know as they all have to head up there!

I am a salt guy myself but have heard about areas like McDonald Beach in Richmond and if memory serves me correct there are places you can get to the North Arm of the Fraser down in southlands area of Vancouver.

Sarge789
02-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Hey Coach,

Thanks for the reply. I've fished the Vedder quite a bit, Squamish once, and the Nicomeckel once. I also go to the Little Campbell quite often, however we will have to see how this goes after the fuel spill. I haven't tried the mouths yet, would I be targeting the tides? I also don't know what fish would be there other than some sea-going cuttys or bullheads. I was thinking maybe some shore line fishing, but I am totally up to whatever suggestions people have here.

-Sarge

Sarge789
02-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks MB for the solid post. I guess I'll try one of these days out at the mouth, maybe of the LC. Stick to the rivers and once I get my boat start hitting some lakes I guess! I've always fished out in NW Ontario prior to this with a spinning rod, all lake fishing, so I'm still getting in the groove of the coast ;)

MB_Boy
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Ya Sarge.....it's tough shore fishing here. In saying that though as I mentioned when the salmon are running you may find your luck increase dramatically.

We were out trolling at the mouth of the Cap I think it was last September which is prime time there for springs, coho and pinks.....a guy rowed out to the channel marker with a spinning rod in what appeared to be a $20.00 Canadian Tire dingy....he had his limit of coho in an hour or so and rowed back in. Meanwhile there are 50-70 boats out working the are with odd fish being nailed here and there. It was pretty comical to watch.

I wish I could help you more about searun cutties but I just don't know much about them, where to find them and their patterns through the year.

If you are interested send me a PM and I can direct you to a couple of good fishing forums that definitely have some lower mainland centric tips and members.

coach
02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Sarge - I checked out your thread about a boat for fishing your local waters. Before moving to Kelowna, I spent about 20 years in the LML. Much of that time I owned a 14 foot misty river with a side console and a 25 horse. That boat saw plenty of action in Stave and Alouette lakes, off the mouth of the cap, off the north arm (dangerous out there with a boat that small), in the gulf islands and on the Fraser around Chilliwack. For areas with tide and current that 25 was about the minimum a guy would want. I've seen people with 9.9's maxed out going backwards in the current on a few too many occasions. Other than some big waves off the Fraser mouth one night, I never got into many situations that concerned me. My 2 cents is that you may want to look at a slightly bigger boat than a 12 foot with a 10 horse. Lots of places you will wish you could go if you buy one that's too small. The Fraser fishery from July through October can be phenomenal (although busy). With a boat capable of getting you away from some of the crowds, you'll hammer some very nice fish. :-D

For or great info on local fishing, go see the guys at Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond. Ask for a guy named OldNGrey. They will get you set up for success.

Sarge789
02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Sarge - I checked out your thread about a boat for fishing your local waters. Before moving to Kelowna, I spent about 20 years in the LML. Much of that time I owned a 14 foot misty river with a side console and a 25 horse..

Thanks Coach, that's some good advice (your name works great in this context). How much did that set you back? If you don't mind me asking. And where did you find a boat like that?

Sarge789
02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
As well fellas (and possibly girls), I gotta say, thank you for the profound assistance. The few threads I have made people have been phenomenally helpful.

Big Lew
02-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Sea run cutthroat fishing in the local streams and along the estuary shorelines can be exciting during the spring soon after the salmon fry hatch. Normally you can see the ripples etc of them chasing the fry. If you're lucky enough to see them, cast ahead of them with a fry imitation and get ready for an explosive hit. You can begin this fishery in the streams as soon as the fry begin hatching. Depending on the temperature, it can start anytime now and into early March. Fly fishing is the most productive, starting with a fry imitation with an orange egg sac under it's throat.

Steelpulse
02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
The flounder fishing in white rock can be quite good, I usually catch starry flounder up to 15" and have seen tthem much larger, hit the flats or sight fish them from the pier

coach
02-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks Coach, that's some good advice (your name works great in this context). How much did that set you back? If you don't mind me asking. And where did you find a boat like that?

My grandfather traded it and his standard transmission explorer to me for my Automatic Jimmy. :-D A week later the transmission went in the explorer and set me back over $4000! So, really, it cost me a lot! :)

I think you should be able to pick up something like this used for 3 to 4 thousand. As Duallie mentioned in your other thread, check Castanet as well as craigslist. You may also want to look south of the border.

yamadirt 426
02-19-2014, 09:56 PM
A very good and fun place to go fishing is gary point park in richmond. Its right out near the mouth and is good for bull trout big and small and searun cuttys plus others like pike minnow which can get big. I have targeted and caught my bull trout on spoons with a blue streak. Many multi fish days for just throwing spoons for a few hrs. If you want to learn more go to Fishingwithrod.com That site is packed with local knowledge. Its literally beach fishing. Most of my hits come feet from the shore as the bulls follow the lure. I have heard of beach fishing off crescent park in white rock also.