PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Guide Training

WestCoastHunter
02-16-2014, 08:51 PM
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to put this topic in...

Anyways, I am looking at getting my guide certification this summer and am trying to do some research on the best training to go through. If anyone has any experience or knowledge that could help me out from outfitters such as Blue Creek and Big country, etc. that would be great!

Cheers :-D

BiG Boar
02-16-2014, 09:32 PM
I took the Blue Creek Packing course, I would highly recommend it.

Brew
02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
I took the Blue Creek Packing course, I would highly recommend it.
Stan at blue creek is a really nice guy. Been hunting with him before. Although I didn't take his course my dad did and really enjoyed himself and learned a great deal

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-16-2014, 09:49 PM
I really want to do this course

boxhitch
02-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Head to the Yukon for a real adventure , Dave is a good guy
yukonguideschool.com

Harv
02-16-2014, 10:51 PM
i took the one in smithers in 2009 put on by north west community college with Reg Collingwood. 30 day course mainly dealing with horses. it was a great course, alot of fun. there is a bit of wasted time if you are already a hunter beacuse it is sort of set up for somone off the street who has never hunted before. they put you through CORE and PAL, teach chain saw stuff and all sorts of other things. hunting my whole life and logging on the island for the previous 7 years gave me about a week of free time. it was great though, could just saddle a horse when ever and take off for a ride.

WestCoastHunter
02-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have emailed Stan with Blue Creek and am probably going to give him a call this week to find out more info. So far it seems like he puts on a good program. As far as the Yukon adventure goes, as much as I would love to someday hunt the Yukon, it does not help me with being certified in BC.

boxhitch
02-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Keep in mind there is no formal training required to get an assistant guides license in BC .............yet.

WestCoastHunter
02-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Keep in mind there is no formal training required to get an assistant guides license in BC .............yet.

I did not know that. Learn something new everyday.. Regardless though on a resume, experience from a well recognized outfitter would be a bonus!

boxhitch
02-16-2014, 11:35 PM
You would think.
Like any industry , some guys figure its best their way , anything else is subject.
The courses have some great content , definitely worthwhile imo , especially for the horse handling experience .

325 wsm
02-17-2014, 06:54 AM
West Coast Hunter. Nowadays outfitters are hurting for quality guides. Guide training is how outfitters make a few extra bucks and maybe pick up a future guide. If that course is the highlight of your hunting resume its not enough to excite most outfitters.
Right now I know an outfitter looking for an experienced (master) stone sheep guide. Good luck to him. Also in the area I work for in the Yukon a camp helper (August)/moose guide (September boat hunts) will probably be needed as well as a capable dall sheep guide.
If anyone wants more info on these possibilities PM me

WestCoastHunter
02-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Guide training is how outfitters make a few extra bucks and maybe pick up a future guide. If that course is the highlight of your hunting resume its not enough to excite most outfitters.

I have a few years of field experience (obviously), and some other values I believe would help me obtain a job. However I am a 17 year old in my senior year, and do not have years and years of experience, doing trophy hunts all throughout Canada. Someday I WILL have this experience, but until then to secure a job as an assistant guide I think a guide school would be really valuable for me to have.

On another note, does anyone have any reviews on Big Country Outfitters? Mike and the program seem pretty legit, but it's so much money.

sheephunter17
02-17-2014, 11:23 AM
If it was me I'd be contacting every outfitter I could and seeing if they have any openings for a young guy eager to learn. No better way to learn then in camp and you'll be getting paid not paying for your learning. Just a thought.

bighornbob
02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
If it was me I would just send every outfitter a letter. Be honest with your abilities. If you have never ridden a horse say you haven't. I did this about 20 years ago and got a few offers of employment. I told them I had no horse experience but had hunted with my dad since I was 10. Told them I did not expect to be guiding right away but would relish any chance to accompany a guide in between firewood chopping and trail cutting which I expected to be doing my first year.

Like other have said some outfitters would rather get a rookie and train them in their way then a Guy that comes in with training from another guy. We once had a guy like this in a totally separate field and all we heard all summer was how it was done differently at the other place or that's not how he learned it..

Costs you nothing to send out a bunch of emails and letters. You might be surprised by what you get back.

BHB

WestCoastHunter
02-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Never really thought of that. I might have to get around to doing that. Im still interested in looking into the training though. Maybe ill also look into getting horse training as another option?

TheProvider
02-17-2014, 01:40 PM
When I still lived in Ontario and had been out of high school for a couple years I decided I wanted to try the guiding life. Had hunted and trapped with my father since a toddler and helped a friend who is an outfitter for 6yrs . Instead of doing it in Ontario I was looking out west. I emailed a dozeb or so outfitters. Mainly in BC and Saskatchewan but a couple in Alberta.

I didnt hear back from all the outfitters but the ones that I did hear back fron were all positive. Some stating it was too late in the year for me to train and start work but they would keep my resume for next year. A couple offers to purchase their business and also a couple job opportunities. They all seemed more interested in training the individual themselves.

WestCoastHunter
02-17-2014, 02:34 PM
When I still lived in Ontario and had been out of high school for a couple years I decided I wanted to try the guiding life. Had hunted and trapped with my father since a toddler and helped a friend who is an outfitter for 6yrs . Instead of doing it in Ontario I was looking out west. I emailed a dozeb or so outfitters. Mainly in BC and Saskatchewan but a couple in Alberta.

I didnt hear back from all the outfitters but the ones that I did hear back fron were all positive. Some stating it was too late in the year for me to train and start work but they would keep my resume for next year. A couple offers to purchase their business and also a couple job opportunities. They all seemed more interested in training the individual themselves.

Hmm interesting.. will have to keep this in mind. Maybe an early email/letter for training/work in the summer and continuing on would be a good thing...

325 wsm
02-17-2014, 02:56 PM
right now is the time to be contacting outfitters as the big hunting shows are winding down. a phone call is better than e-mail .

rifleman
02-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Head to the Yukon for a real adventure , Dave is a good guy
yukonguideschool.com

After taking his course you will have a GOOD chance at getting a job.

02-17-2014, 03:35 PM
I used to guide. I got to know several guides. It seemed to me the only real qualification was a pulse.

02-17-2014, 05:10 PM
West Coast Hunter...
Im not a hunting Guide,, though i guided fishing For 7 years on the coast...BUT!

You are looking for training, thats a good thing. Keep looking and do it when you find one that works...
BUT! like a few guys have said send a letter to AND CALL every outfitter you can. Tell them what you bring and ask them what you can do better if they say no. But do not be big headded about it. You are a kid, and a motivated kid who is willing to learn and be moulded can be some of the best things for an outfit...

But do it now. Because at 17 you are young enough to put a season in and then go back to live with your dad,,, you have the ability now to learn and not make a whack of money... You put in a few seasons now, live at home and get some training in the off season... that is the best way you can get into that business. Start at the bottom and work up in house ..... hell washing dishes in a camp would be fun!

Moose Guide
02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
I used to guide. I got to know several guides. It seemed to me the only real qualification was a pulse.

LOL, if it took some sort of super hunter I would have never even got a chance!

WestCoastHunter
02-17-2014, 06:30 PM
West Coast Hunter...
Im not a hunting Guide,, though i guided fishing For 7 years on the coast...BUT!

You are looking for training, thats a good thing. Keep looking and do it when you find one that works...
BUT! like a few guys have said send a letter to AND CALL every outfitter you can. Tell them what you bring and ask them what you can do better if they say no. But do not be big headded about it. You are a kid, and a motivated kid who is willing to learn and be moulded can be some of the best things for an outfit...

But do it now. Because at 17 you are young enough to put a season in and then go back to live with your dad,,, you have the ability now to learn and not make a whack of money... You put in a few seasons now, live at home and get some training in the off season... that is the best way you can get into that business. Start at the bottom and work up in house ..... hell washing dishes in a camp would be fun!

Thanks I really appreciate this! As do I all of the other responses, I asked for knowledge of different outfits and what their programs are like and along with it I am getting advice as to how to approach and seek employment, no complaints here! :) Gonna send out a good amount of emails tonight, and then possibly proceed with a phone call later this week or next. Like I said I appreciate everyone's advice, the more help the better!

Sitkaspruce
02-17-2014, 07:10 PM

That and know a little bit about people skills and cooking.

I just started by sending out emails to companies close to where I wanted to hunt and with species I was familiar with and I had 3 offers in the 3 weeks. Went with the first one and guided 13 years with them before they sold the business.

If you know how to hunt, know how to deal with all types of people, can put up with pissed off people (there is the odd one) and BS and can cook, you will be picked up. One recommendation I can put forward is if you do not know how to skin, cape, turn lips and ears and salt hides, get a hold of a taxidermist and go learn from them. It can be the deal breaker with someones trophy.

Good luck, take lots of pictures, be safe and most of all, have fun!!!

Cheers

SS

dana
02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Just go onto the GOABC website and click on the individual outfits and most of their emails are there. Pick a bunch and send them an email. I did this one year when I was between forestry jobs. Sent out something like 50 emails and had 25 job offers in a couple days. I had attached some of my personal hunting pictures to my resume. That probably helped a bit. ;)

604redneck
02-17-2014, 09:06 PM
I think what Dana is getting at is that u need to photo shop ur face onto some of his pictures and attach them to ur resume. :)

WestCoastHunter
02-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Once again can't say thanks enough to everyone! Taking all of your responses into consideration.

hellojello74
02-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Bingo, most of the time you will need to work your way up but if you know your way around it won't take too long. But it also allows them to teach you how use horses and such.

When I started Uni, I just emailed a bunch of outfits with some background (most couldn't care less to see a resume for bush work) and had a few offers, worked out great. It opens up a whole new adventure.

Key is to try to find the outfitts that have had consistent operations or are at least bigger than a few guides.

see responses in this thread too

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?102274-Guide-schools

I know this guy just called/emailed out and got a job.

For me I was 18 just out of highschool and got a job as a wrangler first year(almost guaranteed) then moved up from there, you will learn a lot on the job.

02-18-2014, 04:59 PM
This thread is making me wish i did this in stead of Commercial fishing......

Fred1
02-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Yup... Best job ever!

hellojello74
02-18-2014, 05:19 PM
another thought

Once you have your first job ask around all the other guides as some have moved around lots. Met one guy who was working his way from beatton river to the yukon at different outfits to see new country. Lots of insight into different outfits and what they are like to work out.I think I had hit one of the best which was good. It is a long established outfit that has been in the family since the 40's, lots of elk moose and sheep and is almost entirely horse hunting which is what I was looking for. Oh another good thing is they have good camps which is nice because your don't end up out of a pup tent all season. Got hired after a phone conversation once I had sent out all my resumes to the GOABC list.
While guide schools are good to get you some basic info, if you are a hard work and have people skills at all that is all you need. The guide school may get you into guiding first but almost all that we had seen that did that thought they knew everything but most wranglers knew more than they did in a short time and were much more teachable. At our outfit we tended to all pack and do everything the same way that way anyone could jump in and know what was going on so we had to reteach some people so they would do it our way anyways. But all in all its not hard. I grew up on a hobby farm and had family that hunted but not all that much myself. Also try to tag along with other guides as they have so many tips and tricks doing it everyday all season.

Also once you contact them you can even talk with them about the class and ask them if they think it would be a good thing to take it or not. They will asses your skills once you get there anyways and probably not just throw you out there right away. Plus there is all the pre season work in getting camps ready that they can evaluate how well you will fit in. I was usually there 2 weeks to a month before hunting season cutting trails, firewood, horses and so on. The guides hire lots of people each year so they are used to new guys and experienced and good at giving some training.

Personally I think the best way to start is one year/ first part as a wrangler as you will know a lot more about the packing and horse thing which makes life so much easier later on when you are in charge of a string of 10 horses and its just you. IF you have have the skills they will move you into it soon as they always seem to be short good guys. A thing to remember as a guide you do everything as though you are hunting yourself except pack a gun and pull the trigger. But the way to make it the most fun for most customers is to make it feel as though you are hunting with a buddy the whole way, giving them a chance to be apart of the hunt how to approach/stalk and so on, some want to hunt like buddies some are just there to shoot something.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

bearvalley
02-18-2014, 07:27 PM
WestCoastHunter
Any of the three guide schools mentioned ( Dave's in the Yukon and the two in BC run by Reg or Mike) will give you the basics and a feel for the industry. After 3 weeks or a month at any of them you might love the game or have had your fill. But you have to remember if you are green going in your still going to be pretty wet behind the ears still when the coarse ends. The biggest thing needed is try. All 3 of the guys running these schools stay in touch with a handfull of top outfitters and any of the students with ability that the instructors don't hire themselves are referred to other guys in the industry. If you are a hard core, seasoned hunter and took the school to learn horse skills, there is a chance you will guide some the first year. If not you'll be a wrangler. This means the better you are at getting out of bed early, finding belled and hobbled horses in the dark, cutting trail, finding firewood, packing water, cooking if need be,and any other non-glorious job that comes your way, the sooner you will get a chance to guide your own hunter. Another thing a want to be guide should have is a first aid coarse. It's mandatory in the Yukon but not BC.
Another route to go is write/ email some outfitters and see if you can get on without taking the coarse. Offset the cost of the coarse against wages, and learn from the outfitter and other guides. One thing to remember is you can teach a guy to ride and pack ponies and set up camps, but if he doesn't have HUNT built into him he won't make a top guide. He will just have a pulse as someone already mentioned.
Good luck.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-18-2014, 11:02 PM
I just booked with blue creek ..not looking to be guide but I'm looking to open myself to different challenges and able myself to explore more of the Serengeti of the north ... Can't wait !

WestCoastHunter
02-18-2014, 11:55 PM
Some great posts here since the last time I checked. I sent out emails to a number of outfits and have had some positive responses, working on securing something currently. Going to make sure to ask lots of questions, and love every minute of what I'm doing :-D I think for now I am going to wait on the guide school, just looking into some horsemanship training and hopefully get my training starting with a wrangler. If need be in the future I'll do some more research on the guide training.

moosie
01-28-2016, 02:25 PM
WestCoastHunter,

How did it all turn out in the past couple years?

Avalanche123
01-28-2016, 06:41 PM
"Finding belled and hobbled horses in the dark" day after day can't be under estimated IMHO.

Hunting skill is gleaned after many years hunting that simply can't be taught. It's a tough gig but it is also very rewarding for the those cut out for the job. It takes more than a pulse to cut the mustard otherwise everybody would do it.

steelheadSABO
03-31-2017, 03:34 PM
bumpity is all this stuff still relevant? best guide school in 2017?

srupp
03-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Hmmm different view...clients who spend $$$ on a hunt want..expect..deserve..experienced knowledgeable guides not everyone who can wrangle a horse knows grizzlies..or sheeeeep"...when they sign up with Joe's sheep adventures..there expecting Joe and his 50 years of knowledge of their targeted sheep species..to arrive and find the guide is new from guide school...
A in depth understanding of the game in question is mandatory..IMO..
Hunting knowledge..skills..experience..and then the art of guiding..not all hunters make good guides....however it is a fundemental" requirement to have great hunting knowledge..know the species..then the extra skills required to look after another hunter..with high expectations..camping skills..setups..wrangling..wilderness survival, first aid, laws and regulations, proper game care..skinning..caping".a lot gets crammed in on a 10 day hunt...when the client dropped $60k"on that 10 days...expectations should be lofty..not all hunts will end in game..that is not a successful hunt..most clients will have enough info to know if they received competent value..and a reasonable crack at their trophy.
Watch a Brad Fry video..he is at the top of his game..goat..moose..sheep..Deer. .never seen him not make quality decisions and his knowledge of his game...the area..tactics..study his every move..these don't develop in 3 weeks..or at a school..
Every move decision is gained from many many years and hunts..where he goes..where he goes next...why..what the animal is that they are looking at. .even great calling..ie moose when required..all the details add up to a safe..enjoyable..quality hunt...
Cheers
Steven