PDA

View Full Version : So you want to shoot a monster bear this spring!

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-15-2007, 11:49 PM
So are you guys tired of shooting all these small 5 foot black bears ,if you take my tips and get your lazy ass off the couch you might just end up shooting a ''MONSTER BEAR''

1. start scouting the lower logging roads early ,with the longer days and milder temps there will be a few early bears out, always look for sign .
2.dont get out of bed too early
3.look for the first grass on the logging roads ,the bears number one food source in the spring is grass.
4.bears are a hard animal to judge,look fo the big melon head ,dragging belly,you wont get a big one by shooting a small teddy bear.
5.use your spotting scope on the creek bottoms,and power lines.
6.most of the action is the last 30 minutes before sunset,if your not in prime bear country at this time,then you might as well be at Tim Hortons.
7.always be sure of your target,do not shoot a running bear,watch and judge the bear carefully before you take a shot.
8. Be willing to pass up alot of bears before you pull the trigger.
9.On a spot and stalk do not approach the bear if the wind is wrong ,wait it out or pass on the bear.
10 if you spook or miss a bear return to the area an hour lately or the next day there is a good chance the bear will return to the same area again.
11.If you are not seeing much fresh sign,scat,go to a diffrent area .
12.If you are hunting in the late spring,look for rub marks on the bear before you shoot.

Good luck and rember anything 5'and under is small 5.5' average 6 to 6.5 big 6.5 to 7.5 huge.

Tinney
02-15-2007, 11:54 PM
{Lucky number} 13) remember to shut your quad off before taking that critical Texas Heart Shot

Browningmirage
02-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Is this not similar to a thread that was started about mulies, and ended up with something to do with brokeback mountain?

ryanb
02-16-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd say more than any other animal, hunting bears is random. Sure the best times might be late afternoon, but you will see them out wandering around at any time of the day, especially if its a dry day outside.

Oh and don't forget bears can't see worth a damn, so if you're out in the open, he hasn't necessarily seen you, or even if he has, he likely has no idea what you are.

depopulator
02-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Not sure about the dragging belly thing ? In my experience, in spring the truly big bears seems to have long legs for their body, couple that with small ears , with not much of a belly at all at that time of year.

mooseknuckler
02-16-2007, 09:06 AM
And to get a monster bear, you have to be better than 99.9% of the other hunters out there.

Marc
02-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Stay calm, usually you've got plenty of time to take the shot.

I've missed two 6.5+ bears in the past two years because of getting to excited and pulled the shot.

Mr. Dean
02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Stay calm, usually you've got plenty of time to take the shot.

I've missed two 6.5+ bears in the past two years because of getting to excited and pulled the shot.

= Bear fever

youngfellla
02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Not sure about the dragging belly thing ? In my experience, in spring the truly big bears seems to have long legs for their body, couple that with small ears , with not much of a belly at all at that time of year.

I agree Hard to find on with it's belly dragging in April/May. I took a 6'9'' black that was all legs. Skull was over 20''.

One of the biggest things with bears is shot placement. Break them down at the shoulders and immobilize them. Tracking wounded bears is tough. The fat and fur soaks up lots of blood, making it hard to follow.

Unless you've got a cannon that will make entry & exit holes as big as your fist :twisted:

Gateholio
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
More important than getting a big bear this year- I will be taking a new hunter (An Aussie!!!) out lookinng for his first game animal...

I've already got him a 30-06 in very good shape, I'll be picking up a scope from tod bartells gun store this weekend, and then I'll make him some ammo, and send it off to him so he can practice a bit before the season.8-)

Also high on my list this year is watching tod bartell get attacked by a bear.:lol:

CHilko21
02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
More important than getting a big bear this year- I will be taking a new hunter (An Aussie!!!) out lookinng for his first game animal...

Also high on my list this year is watching tod bartell get attacked by a bear.:lol:

Now that's not a very nice way to treat your father Gate, :lol:. I'm hoping to get out for bear this year, I promised my brother we'd get out this spring...he's using his bow, I'll think about it but I might theft the old man's 7mm mag for some back up if needed.

Mr. Dean
02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm also taking a new person along (Mrs. Dean).
She comes from hunting stock but has never partaken a hunt hunt before. As of now, she is a shooting enthusiest, but not a hunter.

It was her idea. She seems to be taking it seriously by going out 3 x a week getting in shape. She also has the eye for spotting game....Maybe next year she'll have a hunters # (?)

We'll see how she feels AFTER hauling one out. :lol: :lol: 8)

bigwhiteys
02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
6.most of the action is the last 30 minutes before sunset,if your not in prime bear country at this time,then you might as well be at Tim Hortons.

I agree that we see bears at all times but the last few hours of the day are when I've seen the bigger bears start to come out of the thick stuff.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

dana
02-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Some very good points for hunting trophy bears. Thread kinda reminds me of another one, I think it was on this site maybe??? :)

Never judge a bear just through the binos. They always appear bigger than they actually are. Put the binos down and get a size comparison to what's around him, stumps, logs, trees, ect.
If you see a potential 'shooter' from a long distance away and you can't tell how big it is, have fun and put a stalk on it and get close. But just because you stalked a bear in close, don't get caught up in the moment and forget to judge it up close.
If a bear stands up on it's hinds, 99% of the time it's a dink. They all look big when standing on their hinds. It is normally the young bears that stand up for a better look.
Be content to go home empty handed. The more bears you look at the more comfortable you will be at judging them. If you pull the trigger on the 1st decent bear you see, you'll probably be disappointed. 6 foot bears aren't hard to find. It is the 6'6-7+ bears that are the rare ones.
If you are humming and hawing over whether a bear is a shooter, PASS. Truly HAWG bears don't need to be judged. When you see them, you know they are BIGGGGG!!!!

tufferthandug
02-16-2007, 06:54 PM
6 1/2 to 7 foot bears are tuff to find. They seem to be the ones that really disappear in cutblocks. For me the big ones usually only have the top of their backs in view, and they'll be feeding in little ravines. While only moving slightly every 5 minutes or so.

Then when a Blackie grows to an 8 foot monster, they seem to retire from the cutblocks and skid trails and head to a farm with no hunting and lots of grub...:)

browningboy
02-16-2007, 09:30 PM
For me if I worked and lived in the bush, I wouldn't even think of getting something small or a dink! but reality for me as I have little time to go out, I honestly couldn't care less of the size and the thrill of the chase, but defineatley wouldn't shy away from a big one.8)

Will
02-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I haven't Tagged a Bear in 4 years.
I do see alot just not the Elusive 8 footer I'm after :)

If only this informative Thread had come sooner.........:|
:lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 09:43 PM
If you are looking for an 8 foot blackbear ,then you might as well be sitting in a field in Humbolt Saskatchewan studying crop circles and wondering were the mother ship is.

browningboy
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
If you are looking for an 8 foot blackbear ,then you might as well be sitting in a field in Humbolt Saskatchewan studying crop circles and wondering were the mother ship is.

Is that where they are, damn!:shock:

Will
02-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Here we go again..............http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/bangHead.gif
Plenty of Bears taken in BC every year that top 7 '............surely they aren't the Biggest out there.

8 Foot bears do exist.........I've seen them.

And I also see dead people......so what ? :lol:

dana
02-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Will,
I too believe they exist. But.....I also believe in the Ogopogo too. ;)

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Well I am not getting my white ass banned tonight,Rick if you have seen 8 foot black bears then thats good enough for me.:lol:

Will
02-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Well I am not getting my white ass banned tonight,Rick if you have seen 8 foot black bears then thats good enough for me.:lol:
That's Great then............I can sleep tonight knowing your Satisfied :rolleyes:

3kills
02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
will quit BSing everyone u have never seen an 8 footer...it was a dam samsquatch....

dana
02-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Here's a 7'4" bear. I have seen a few in recent years that made this guy look small.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/05BB1.jpg

Will
02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
will quit BSing everyone u have never seen an 8 footer...it was a dam samsquatch....
Well everything looks Bigger after a few Rums.........
Works for my Wife anyways:lol:
:|

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I use to think that there were things in life that were impossible ,until I saw George Bush Jr, get re elected for office.Since that day I have had an open mind '' Yes there could be 8 foot black bears'' and if there is ,I probably will be the guy that shoots him.

Timbow
02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Interesting to note about the size of bears, especially the elusive 8 footer. Are these large bears measured with the hunters measuring tape (from nose to tail) or the taxidermist way (nose to tail plus span of the front legs divided by two)? Food for thought!

Will
02-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Don't think I'm honestly holding out for an 8 footer.........
I'd settle for a 7'4" Dink like Dana's Bear too...as long as it's a Cinnamon :lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah its funny how a taxidermist can turn a 5 foot bear into a 5.5 foot bear,you would think they were charging by the foot.:lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 10:20 PM
That bear of Danas looks like a ''meat head'' not much bone there.8-)

dana
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I've heard the latest and greatest taxi measuring method is diagonal from front foot to back foot on the opposite side. That'll make a 5 foot a 6'6" for sure.

dana
02-16-2007, 10:22 PM
BHF,
You are right, he was a big meat head. Skull only measured 19 4/16.

Will
02-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Okay BHF........you wanted Proof ?
Here you go........
http://www.daviesgeneralstore.com/ebay/big_bear.jpg
:lol:

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Incredible,and a sow too. :lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2007, 11:04 PM
So...do you make a play on this guy???
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/Critter%20Clips/?action=view&current=Cap0011.flv

http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/Picture070.jpg

SSS

The Hermit
02-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah, but not at night!

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Thats a nice mature boar,the body looks a bit better than 6 foot,the head is not massive.I think most guys would be very happy with that bear.If I was hunting the Island I would keep shopping,if I was in the market for a black interior bear I would probably drop the hammer.:|

Will
02-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I agree with the Video....not the right colour.
Certainly a Big FAT Pig isn't he :lol:
Thanks for the look8)

GoatGuy
02-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I've heard the latest and greatest taxi measuring method is diagonal from front foot to back foot on the opposite side. That'll make a 5 foot a 6'6" for sure.

I've personally seen how to add the 'dumb end'. Grab the dumb end of the tape put it in your hand and put your thumb about 3-4" up the tap and use that as your starting point. Makes a lot of averages bears clear that 6' mark.

Definitely not my style!

Looking through some outfitters sites where 6' average is the claim I'd say this is a fairly regular occurence.

~T-BONE~
02-16-2007, 11:45 PM
I've personally seen how to add the 'dumb end'. Grab the dumb end of the tape put it in your hand and put your thumb about 3-4" up the tap and use that as your starting point. Makes a lot of averages bears clear that 6' mark.

Definitely not my style!

Looking through some outfitters sites where 6' average is the claim I'd say this is a fairly regular occurence.

Or after caping them out 2 guys stretch them out as far as possible, hold, and then have someone measure the cape! (Nose to tail)

Caveman
02-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Here's another one, what would you do ?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/scan0002-1.jpg

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Take a nice picture which you did..........not a shooter today ,tommorrow or next year.:|

dana
02-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Mickey Mouse ears equals DINK!!! That is the telltale sign of a bear not being anywhere close to being a shooter. And, imagine that it's standing on it's hinds getting ready to climb a tree just like momma taught it. :)

Caveman
02-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Here's another shot of him. And your right BHF, these are the only shots I took of him. But, there are times that I think maybe I should have. Maybe not a monster, but he would have been over six foot for sure. Nice 'n Fat, nice color, great looking coat.8)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/ScannedImage.jpg

Dana, you are right about climbing a tree but not that one. I got him up from feeding and he ran 25yds to these trees and stood up then down over the ridge. I persuded him then he went up a tree, but only about ten feet, hence the close up.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 12:23 AM
I have hunted alot of areas where the color phase ratio is 40 percent of the total bears,but I have not seen any color phase bears come close to the size of the largest black colored bears I have seen.Also the thickness and density of fur on the colored bears are not as good as my best pure black bear hides .

dana
02-17-2007, 12:29 AM
BHF,
I agree with ya there. Even in the high density colour phase areas, it is really tuff to find one that is much bigger than 6 foot. I have personally only seen a handful of truly monster colour phase bears (6'6"+).

hunter1947
02-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Ya ,i'm going to shoot a blackie this year with my canon movie camera ,that's if i get it back in time ,it is sick and being fixed http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif,can't wait to film. hunter 1947.

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
I dont think the demand for bear hunting in B.C is very great for a number of reasons,with the amount of bears we have in B.C the challenge involved in shooting a small to average size bear is not great,there is also the percieved image that bear meat is not that good or can be dangerous.I think also the fact that many hunters also fish and that the spring has some of the best fishing months does not help the bear hunting cause.Also the perception of what do I do with the bear after I shoot it,many guys do not know how to skin out a bear,and can not afford the costs in tanning or making rug.If you talk to hunters in other parts of the world many put the bear on the top of their list.So my question is ,is it important to promote more spring bear hunting or should we leave things as they are?:|

Will
02-17-2007, 12:27 PM
So my question is ,is it important to promote more spring bear hunting or should we leave things as they are?:|
With the Decline in Hunter numbers and the increasing negative views about Hunting in general......Promoting Anything hunting related is a No brainer;)

BC could use stand to have alot more Bear Hunters IMO 8)

SHAKER
02-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I dont think the demand for bear hunting in B.C is very great for a number of reasons,with the amount of bears we have in B.C the challenge involved in shooting a small to average size bear is not great,there is also the percieved image that bear meat is not that good or can be dangerous.I think also the fact that many hunters also fish and that the spring has some of the best fishing months does not help the bear hunting cause.Also the perception of what do I do with the bear after I shoot it,many guys do not know how to skin out a bear,and can not afford the costs in tanning or making rug.If you talk to hunters in other parts of the world many put the bear on the top of their list.So my question is ,is it important to promote more spring bear hunting or should we leave things as they are?:|

Your right and I hope it stay's that way. I love hunt'n in the spring lots of game thats not spooky and no hunt'n pressure. As far as costs go, yeh it feels like a waste not to take a nice pelt home with ya but a bleached out skull looks great to me and serves the purpose of memory just fine. I find it hard to find a better animal to make bratwersts and other sausages with than a big o'l spring bear.

youngfellla
02-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Another example of the Mickey Mouse ears, on a bear that looks to be pretty heavy. This was in my yard last year. Anyone care to guess what he measured?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bear13.jpg

RiverOtter
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
5'6"

Fall bears are tougher to judge than spring bears due to the extra weight they are packing, but their heads still give them away.

RO