PDA

View Full Version : Clown at the pet lovers show

1/2 slam
02-16-2014, 05:41 PM
So my wife and I take our 2 nieces (8 and 6) to the pet lovers show at the Tradex. We are walking down one aisle and I get approached by a guy to sign a petition. What for I ask. His response is"To ban shock collars" Whats wrong with them when properly used I ask. He responds "There is no proper way to use them he responds. Are you for real was my question. Yes they are cruel and should be banned was his response. I asked him if a doctor was found guilty of malpractice should we ban doctors? He had no idea what to say. I told him that people who misuse the collars and injure dogs should be dealt with and that there was no reason to ban them. I had had enough of this clown by now so I told him he had no idea what he was talking about and walked away.

There appears to be groups out to ban everything

adriaticum
02-16-2014, 05:52 PM
lol, that was funny

Fella
02-16-2014, 06:10 PM
It seems common sense and critical thinking are skills that are going the way of the dodo bird these days.

1/2 slam
02-16-2014, 06:16 PM
It seems common sense and critical thinking are skills that are going the way of the dodo bird these days.

No kidding. Also present was the anti trapping Fur Bearers Association. I ignored them. Perhaps I shouldn't have. there was also a group that wanted us to all become Vegans.

Big Lew
02-16-2014, 06:31 PM
You should have asked him if he had personally tried one. I use one, and before I tried it on my dog, I experimented with it on myself to determine what setting to start out with. When properly used, they are meant only to get or break the dog's attention, not to punish. Most of these "antis" are driven by emotion, rumour, and non-researched statements made by others.

1/2 slam
02-16-2014, 06:34 PM
You should have asked him if he had personally tried one. I use one, and before I tried it on my dog, I experimented with it on myself to determine what setting to start out with. When properly used, they are meant only to get or break the dog's attention, not to punish. Most of these "antis" are driven my emotion, rumour, and non-researched statements made by others.

Very good point....I forgot about that. I did the same with mine.

john.b
02-16-2014, 06:42 PM
I just dont get some people. So hypothetically someone has a dog that barks waaaay too much and the complaints and fines have been rolling in, would a bark collar be less humane than putting a dog down for no other reason than barking?

Foxton Gundogs
02-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Just another example how you cant fix STUPID. :roll:

Cdn-Redneck
02-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Maybe he should see how excited my dog gets when her e-collar comes out. I can't even feel the range she works at.

Big Lew
02-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Maybe he should see how excited my dog gets when her e-collar comes out. I can't even feel the range she works at.

Yes, my dog gets all excited as well, almost as excited as when I pick up my car keys.

britman101
02-18-2014, 12:55 AM
You know years ago, if I heard something like this I would have laughed and shook my head. However, groups like this are no joke as Quebec is passing legislation to ban shock (e collars) and the use of pinch collars. In my opinion there is so much legislation in this country it is getting to be a joke. There are groups like this in B.C. which would take great enjoyment on banning e collars in this province. E collars are a great training tool if properly used and I for one will vehemently oppose any legislation to ban them in this province.

Mr. Dean
02-18-2014, 01:03 AM
It seems that people nowadays are often WAY to eager to get behind someone's cause and sign their papers. All because 'on the surface', it feels good and/or they're worried about hurting their feelings.

And then the snowball starts rolling.

Sofa King
02-18-2014, 01:19 AM
they better not ban them.
they make great bachelor party items.
also very entertaining on drunkards.

what's next?
banning electric fences?
now banning electric cars, there's a start.

Iron Glove
02-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Well, it was a Pet "Lovers" Show, not a huntong show, so you have to expect there would be a number of groups that have a variety of opinions, be they right or wrong. There were also people campaigning against the use of dog fur in clothing and against the use of animals in medical research. Had an interesting, and polite discussion with the medical research lady as our Daughter, who used to be a Vet Assistant is now an Animal Tech at a Bio Lab where yup, they use rodents. The discussion revelved around my assertation that although sometimes the research involves what some might consider unethical use of an animal, the results often excuse the methods.
That's basically how I feel about shock collars. Used ethically as a training method, not as a punishment then I'm OK with them. Have seen a trainer, highly regarded in many hunting circles, have a dog doing the funky chicken during repeated "corrections" and that wasn't fun to watch. Our two dogs wear beep collars where we can use tones to distract them and a shot of citronella as last resort. They work 95 % of the time which is sufficient for us. One dog runs up, tail wagging as she knows collar = a fun walk in the wilds. The other guy, he kinda slinks up as he equates it with a shock collar as was used in some professional training he received at an earlier age which wasn't succesful.
Training of a dog is subjective - at a CKC Receiver meet a few years back an owner of the same breed as us simply walked over to his dog's kennels and kicked the kennel, with quite a bit of force, to quiet his dogs down. Seemed to work. Some might consider that abuse, some might consider that training.

Tiptoe
02-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I hope the one group that you mentioned did not want to feed the dogs a vegan diet. I have met people who feed their dog vegetarian (even Vegan-gasp) fare only- now that is cruelty! If those dogs could write, there would certainly be petitions against their owners...