PDA

View Full Version : cranbrook cougar herd

rocksteady
02-16-2014, 01:06 PM
About 3 blocks from my house last night, around midnite, a resident heard a God awful noise outside... Looked out his patio doors, cougar had a deer by the throat, pinned against the fence. He reported it to the COS..

At 07:00 this morning, they put the dogs on the track, within 100 yards, tge cat treed. When the COS got to the bottom of the tree, there were 4 juvenile cougars in the tree. All were dispatched....

This location was less than a block from a juniour high school...

Too bad for the cats, but way too close for safety...

Rackmastr
02-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Buddy took a pic this morning on his front step of a track that he thought looked like a cougar, before he had heard about the incident.

Good to hear it worked out smoothly and quickly!

Hodaka
02-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Side effect of having so many urban deer. Predators moving closer to the food source.

adriaticum
02-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Darn you guys are having way too much fun

Ambush
02-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Dumb move killing the cats.

You have a deer problem and a ready made, free solution comes along and you kill it!?!?

People that "love" animals and don't want the deer killed SHOULD have to see cougars killing deer and find blood spattered "murder" scenes left by the other side of nature.

I'd love to see grizzlies, black bears, cougars and plenty of "Fifi" eating coyotes dumped into Stanely park and like places. Might make it more real for some folks.

Everett
02-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Yet morons are destroying deer traps.

Wentrot
02-16-2014, 02:40 PM
The wheel is spinning but it appears the hamster is dead....

srupp
02-16-2014, 02:53 PM
hmmm cougars are opportunists...sadly but correctly to remove them..glad to hear it wasn't a child ....hmmm maybe another reason to cull some town deer to stop further cougars from coming to dinner..

cheers

Steven

Ambush
02-16-2014, 03:09 PM
hmmm cougars are opportunists...sadly but correctly to remove them..glad to hear it wasn't a child ....hmmm maybe another reason to cull some town deer to stop further cougars from coming to dinner..cheers. Steven

Backwards IMO. For the folks that are always spouting , "well they were here first, it's their backyard" , should go for preds as well.

Can't pick and choose which wildlife should or shouldn't be culled. Why let dimwits dictate. Can't cull deer, then can't cull predators. If anti's were forced to face reality, maybe more would become realistic.

It's very funny how coyotes were just fine in the big city UNTILL they started eating pets right in plain sight. The horror!! Then the statements to media were way different. "Well it's sad , but we just can't let them be here, it's not safe."

Force people to see the real picture.

Everett
02-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Backwards IMO. For the folks that are always spouting , "well they were here first, it's their backyard" , should go for preds as well.

Can't pick and choose which wildlife should or shouldn't be culled. Why let dimwits dictate. Can't cull deer, then can't cull predators. If anti's were forced to face reality, maybe more would become realistic.

It's very funny how coyotes were just fine in the big city UNTILL they started eating pets right in plain sight. The horror!! Then the statements to media were way different. "Well it's sad , but we just can't let them be here, it's not safe."

Force people to see the real picture.

Got to admit I do like your train of thought. If we could just get the cougars to eat the deer huggers we would be golden.

Piperdown
02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Ambush I think you are missing the point about a cougar attacking a human. Yes we know all about the dimwit huggers but if my kids went to that school I would want them taken care of in the way as described, especially 4 juvenile cats.

cassiarkid
02-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Been a number of cougars shot in the Creston Valley this year,more than I can remember. But there has been more people hunting and treeing cougars than ever before. My friend shot one that green scored 15 4/16 at 170+lbs an old warrior.

TheProvider
02-16-2014, 03:48 PM
No clue how many trails are closed in and around Squamish each year. Always cougars or bobcats attacking peoples pets.

rocksteady
02-16-2014, 04:37 PM
I tried to convince the CO to let me have the carcasses for hams, but unfortunately, against policy...

Ambush
02-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Ambush I think you are missing the point about a cougar attacking a human.

I'm not missing the point that is my point.

The rally go'ers at Victoria's anti bear rally don't live with coastal bears and so don't care if they need controlling.

People who don't live with wildlife or suffer any consequence from their proximity don't mind "saving" them. If you don't live in the Bella Coola valley then you're fine with having it over run with grizzlies. If you don't live in my neighbourhood in PG then you are fine with way too many bears roaming the place.

Maybe a few people have to get chewed on to open some eyes.

BearSupreme
02-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Got to admit I do like your train of thought. If we could just get the cougars to eat the deer huggers we would be golden.

x2. Like Ricky would say, survival of the fitness!

LBM
02-17-2014, 09:24 AM
About 3 blocks from my house last night, around midnite, a resident heard a God awful noise outside... Looked out his patio doors, cougar had a deer by the throat, pinned against the fence. He reported it to the COS..

At 07:00 this morning, they put the dogs on the track, within 100 yards, tge cat treed. When the COS got to the bottom of the tree, there were 4 juvenile cougars in the tree. All were dispatched....

This location was less than a block from a juniour high school...

Too bad for the cats, but way too close for safety...

Why do you think way to close for safety. Can anyone provide any info were a cougar has actually injured someone in a town in the East Kootenays especially around a school were people think to seem they are more dangerous. I think you will find that deer have hurt more people in the EK. Sheep probably have caused more injury to people as well.

rocksteady
02-17-2014, 11:07 AM
We do know that people all over the province, in different cases have been attacked by cougars. We do know that there were 4 juvenile cougars in that area that killed a deer in someones back yard. There is a juniour high school adjacent to where the attacks took place....

Come Monday morning, would you be comfortable with having 4 juvenile cougars lurking in the bushes, be it along streets of the trails the students take from different subdivisions, to get to school, if it were your children or grand children...

Would you be willing to take that risk, would you be willing to go on record to say that you could guarantee that nothing would happen....

Mikey Rafiki
02-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Why do you think way to close for safety. Can anyone provide any info were a cougar has actually injured someone in a town in the East Kootenays especially around a school were people think to seem they are more dangerous. I think you will find that deer have hurt more people in the EK. Sheep probably have caused more injury to people as well.

A deer or sheep taking a defensive run at someone who is stupid enough to get too close is a lot different than the prospect of a predator grabbing a kid by the throat and draggin' them up a tree.

Ambush
02-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Cougars would never attack a human that was wearing a "Save the Planet" or "Pacific Wild" T-shirt. They just instinctively know that these people love them.

It would be good if parents [AKA municipal voters] were inconvenienced by having to drive their kids to school. More at stake if it affects you personally.

LBM
02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
We do know that people all over the province, in different cases have been attacked by cougars. We do know that there were 4 juvenile cougars in that area that killed a deer in someones back yard. There is a juniour high school adjacent to where the attacks took place....

Come Monday morning, would you be comfortable with having 4 juvenile cougars lurking in the bushes, be it along streets of the trails the students take from different subdivisions, to get to school, if it were your children or grand children...

Would you be willing to take that risk, would you be willing to go on record to say that you could guarantee that nothing would happen....

Lot more threats for kids going to school then from cougars but that's all OK . Still would like to see the numbers of kids injured by cougars around schools in the EK or info on anyone injured by cougars in towns in the EK. Has it ever happened.

olympia
02-17-2014, 12:30 PM
So this circus trainer needed to hire a cougar trainer and a big burly redneck and a hot blond apply for the job, the trainer tells the blond "alright your up but be careful this cougar has killed the trainer" she steps into the cage and the cougar shows his teeth and starts growling, she undresses and immediately the cougar purrs and starts rubbing up against her and licking her from head to toe, she picks up her clothes and heads out the cage. The trainer looks at the big burly redneck and says "alright your turn and can you do that as well?" the big burly redneck looks at the trainer and says "YES I CAN but not with the cougar in the cage"

Slinky Pickle
02-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Ok, I have a solution!!!

From the article below we get.... Generally a lion prefers deer. Experts tell us a lion kills one deer every 9 to 14 days. (Information compiled from U.S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services, San Antonio, Texas, and Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Helena, Montana) And in some areas, it has been found that a lion kills as many as two deer per week, especially in hot weather.

http://www.aws.vcn.com/mountain_lion_fact_sheet.html

So, for round numbers, let's assume 1 deer per lion per week. In order to reduce the number of those horrible predators, the mandate should be that for every lion killed (in this case 4) they should also remove 52 deer from the local population.

Timbow
02-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Well I think we have found out who are the antis on this site are. If you have a problem with cats being destroyed by someone who has that authority to make that choice, maybe you should ask them why they did that rather than belittle their decision. Everybody has their opinions, but if you want to make an educated opinion, know the facts.

Two years ago my daughters school was locked down when a cougar was spotted along the fence line by an adult (not a kid). Cat passing through, who knows. Where do you draw the line.

Just my opinion....

Slinky Pickle
02-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Well I think we have found out who are the antis on this site are.

Your point is well noted and the safety of kids and adults needs to come first. However, I didn't say that they shouldn't get rid of the cats, but if they do, they should also address the reason that they are there in the first place. As has been stated at length, too many deer makes for a wildlife scenario that the "save the deer" group isn't ready to deal with.

Rackmastr
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Lot more threats for kids going to school then from cougars but that's all OK . Still would like to see the numbers of kids injured by cougars around schools in the EK or info on anyone injured by cougars in towns in the EK. Has it ever happened.

Could be because a lot of times a cougar in town is dealt with immediatly and often not left to stay in town for much longer than when they are originally detected. Just a thought.

hunter1947
02-17-2014, 03:33 PM
When in a residential area put any cat down small big or whatever kids etc are more important then any cougar or cubs

horshur
02-17-2014, 03:59 PM
this is a link to a site if you check it out there is a list of attacks that have been verified ... maybe don't let your wife read if you let your kids play in the woods. I think the attack descriptions throughout the years speak for themselves....

http://www.cougarinfo.org/

rocksteady
02-17-2014, 05:38 PM

So what is ypur solution to.4. Juvenile cougars, killing deer within mere yards of a Jr high?

This should be enlightening :)

Everett
02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Even my hippy dippy friends were happy to hear about them shooting these cats. They have kids going to that school.
Oh for the people that think cougars are cuddly I personally missed getting mauled by a couple feet 4 years ago if I hadn't been armed I would have been lunch for a young tom. As far as I am concerned if a cougar is in or around town it needs to be dead.

budismyhorse
02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Rock.... Those cougs have been around for awhile.... A few dudes I know treed a female with kittens up by the Elks Lodge last year .... Prob the same ones.

Shoot the cats and leave them on the doorsteps of all the idiots feeding deer in and around gold creek.

I will give you addresses!

BugRock
02-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Google - Trail and cougar attack from 2012. Cougar entered a house and attacked a person. Cougras attack peopel all over BC, doesn't need to be a history in the EK!

sawmill
02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Yup,leave the cougars be....until they kill a kid.Then the question is do we kill all 4 or just one per dead kid?
And to LBM,we are culling deer here,at least until some hugger asshole steals and burns the traps and has protest rallies and gets on the news.

BlackOwL
02-18-2014, 12:49 PM

I see You like this:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/41f2ddb0ad/great-moments-in-protest-history-from-meangreen3

CodyJ
02-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Couple cat stories from my Uncle,

In 1987, give or take a few years, My Uncle was driving through downtown Williams Lake late one night, and seen a cougar run across the street ( I think he said it was right near a bank?)
The cat was running funny, and when my uncle stopped, it went up a tree on the sidewalk. He got out, looked at it up the tree with a flashlight, and saw that it was a mangey, scrawny looking cat, with a very messed up leg.
He made the decision to take care of it right then, grabbed his Winchester model 12 20 gauge, and put a slug in the cat from 15 ft. Cat died immidietly, Uncle took it and dumped it in the bush that night.
I hope I would do the same thing if I was in his boots ( That old Model 12 is mine now).

He killed another cougar on the West Coast of Van isle that was about to make him into breakfast. Hunting deer, stopped for a smoke, turned around and saw the cat crouching behind him in the ditch. soon as he made eye contact, it came for him. Shot his 303 from the hip at about 10 feet or so, stopped the cat, finished him off. This cat was also very scrawny and beat up.

jrjonesy
02-18-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm not missing the point that is my point.

The rally go'ers at Victoria's anti bear rally don't live with coastal bears and so don't care if they need controlling.

People who don't live with wildlife or suffer any consequence from their proximity don't mind "saving" them. If you don't live in the Bella Coola valley then you're fine with having it over run with grizzlies. If you don't live in my neighbourhood in PG then you are fine with way too many bears roaming the place.

Maybe a few people have to get chewed on to open some eyes.

It's pretty standard knowledge that the Anti's value animal life over human life....they've said it again and again. I really doubt that sacrificing some people is going to open any Anti's eyes.

MB_Boy
02-20-2014, 03:03 PM
And let the CBC comments begin!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/4-cougars-shot-near-school-in-cranbrook-b-c-1.2544626

Jerry Potts
02-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Dumb move killing the cats.

You have a deer problem and a ready made, free solution comes along and you kill it!?!?

People that "love" animals and don't want the deer killed SHOULD have to see cougars killing deer and find blood spattered "murder" scenes left by the other side of nature.

I'd love to see grizzlies, black bears, cougars and plenty of "Fifi" eating coyotes dumped into Stanely park and like places. Might make it more real for some folks.

Last summer, I was told about a couple of yappy Fifi's who wouldn't shut up, day or night, on the swim grid of a big power boat. As everyone around them was getting increasingly irritated , the Fifis began barking non stop at an otter swimming nearby. Suddenly ,the otter jumped on the swim grid , grabbed a Fifi,and towed him underwater, drowning him. Then the otter climbed up on the dock and began eating Fifi. The owner lady was hysterical ,while other boaters politely resisted the urge to give out a big cheer of relief for Mr Otter.

Jerry Potts
02-20-2014, 04:02 PM
A friend lost her 11 year old son, while he was playing in his own back yard , north of Tofino, to a cougar.
A young school boy named Kyle Mussellman had his scalp torn off by a cougar, near Ahousat.
A lady was recently mauled by a cougar in the same area ,while working in her garden. Luckily her husband was able to grab one of the many spears he had made, and left randomly around the place , for just such an emergency, and run it thru the cougar , which killed the cat quickly. So whats next, a federal spear registry?
A 65 year old neighbour, who grew up on Vancouver Island ,said in his lifetime, bear attacks have been extremely rare on Vancouver Island , but cougar attacks have been extremely common.
Children are the most vulnerable.

Piperdown
02-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance:wink:

j270wsm
02-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Google - Trail and cougar attack from 2012. Cougar entered a house and attacked a person. Cougras attack peopel all over BC, doesn't need to be a history in the EK!

If I remember correctly, the lady from Trail cougar incident wasnt attacked by the cougar that entered her house.

guess I remembered it differently. She was attacked and had puncture marks on her leg

markomoose
02-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Interesting thread! My only experience was hunting alpine muleys around Carpenter Lake in 97.My partner was stalked by an immature tom at 10 feet in tall grass.He spun around and there he was crouched ears back 10 feet!300 mag from the hip!LIGHTS OUT!!

BlacktailStalker
02-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Soooo they killed four cats because they can't deal with a bunch of deer that need to be culled.
Fail.

Cougars aren't opportunists, they're more than skilled enough to kill what they want, when they want.

I Would bet there are more than enough hunters to volunteer with man power, time and trailers to relocate all these deer to the mountains in spring before the fawns are born for next to nothing. Too bad things can't just work that way.
If the deer numbers are as bad as all the whiners say they are, is this not an option ?

rocksteady
02-21-2014, 02:15 AM
Andy, the Cranny cull went off last time, no issue...

The big, controversial one is invermere, we like culling deer in Cranny, Kimberley, Elkford....just not Invermere...

BlacktailStalker
02-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Crazy how it can vary so much from town to town. It should be a province wide management tool. Man imagine "they" listened to people bitch about taxes as much as culling or relocating animals ? lol

eastkoothunter
02-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't think the deer cull is as popular as you think. There's another fiasco going on trying to stop the cull and relocate the deer, with many volunteers offering trucks and trailers. Highly doubtful anything will happen, which is unfortunate. Would be nice to see the deer given a chance to live somewhere else.

It's too bad those cougars had to be shot, based on the premise that there could be an attack because they were too close to town. They're only following the food, trying to survive like the rest of us. Tough topic to argue, but safety first I suppose... Or something like that.

steveo
02-22-2014, 06:36 PM
I guess there is two ways to look at everything but if it's okay to kill a cat in a tree because you have a tag and it is in season I would definitely think it's okay to shoot one in a tree for public safety.

rocksteady
02-22-2014, 07:08 PM
I don't think the deer cull is as popular as you think. There's another fiasco going on trying to stop the cull and relocate the deer, with many volunteers offering trucks and trailers. Highly doubtful anything will happen, which is unfortunate. Would be nice to see the deer given a chance to live somewhere else.

It's too bad those cougars had to be shot, based on the premise that there could be an attack because they were too close to town. They're only following the food, trying to survive like the rest of us. Tough topic to argue, but safety first I suppose... Or something like that.

May not be popular, but not nearly as negative as.the invermere residents...