PDA

View Full Version : Interesting video

drakfero
02-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Just wanna share this with you..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dysa5OBhXz-Q

Cpl_Punishment
02-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Interesting video, apart from the deer / elk error..... There has to be balance, but a lot of what I have read says its tipping towards the wolves in Yellowstone. Thanks for sharing.

Iltasyuko
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
I notice he says all these super duper awesome fantastical amazing positive changes occurred with a "small" population of wolves. Keep it that way and manage through effective lethal methods along with everything else.

His lovely adjectives and excited narration are over the top.

BiG Boar
02-15-2014, 10:17 PM
I think it's very interesting to see what happens in a totally wild and natural state. We as hunters sometimes tend to hate our competition, but I think seeing an ecosystem in its natural state with predators and prey is something we are all fascinated by. Unfortunately outfitters have been hating on the wolves big time in the surrounding areas, because it's hurting their business.

unfortunately there are few wild areas left these days.

Fred1
02-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Yes .. very few places still doing things without out our meddling. Love Yellowstone!! Nice video. Very David Attenborough - ish. Say what you will I have to love the wolves for what they are.

Wentrot
02-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Great video, nice to see something other than the typical mentality. ..

dogboy
02-16-2014, 09:16 PM
.....but but but wolves are bad 😏

drakfero
02-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Interesting would be to know how the population of the ungulates changed. What were the numbers before and after..

steel_ram
02-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Nature works well when you take the modern human element out of it.

It's funny how some of us get our hackles up a little by a English accent, myself included (and I'm from Britain). I trust Morgan Freemans' narrations much more.

kebes
02-18-2014, 10:31 AM
I think it's very interesting to see what happens in a totally wild and natural state.

unfortunately there are few wild areas left these days.

Since when are humans not part of the natural state?

North49
02-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Interesting video indeed, but like previously mentioned.....the wolf population is increasing and creating in imbalance. I cannot help but wonder what kind of effects an imbalance of wolves will have on the ecosystem....and the geography.

adriaticum
02-18-2014, 10:58 AM

When they started modifying landscapes instead of living in them.

steel_ram
02-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Since we became capable of drastically altering the environment to suite our wants. We are not part of the food chain, cycle, whatever. We are just non contributing parasites.

kebes
02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Since we became capable of drastically altering the environment to suite our wants. We are not part of the food chain, cycle, whatever. We are just non contributing parasites.

Sure.........

steel_ram
02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Sure.........

Glad you agree.

Piperdown
02-19-2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-ZoHgo5mo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-ZoHgo5mo)

there ya go the real wolf problem in the park!

bosca
02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
If you cant see how we are different from the rest of the animal kingdom then we as a species are in big trouble. If we did not impose some form of controle over our own behavior as a species we coud easily wipe out every living thing by choice....There arn't to many other species with that kind of power.
Unfortunately, we are at a point where we now must manage out of neccessity....and so we do our best...

kebes
02-20-2014, 09:38 AM
If you cant see how we are different from the rest of the animal kingdom then we as a species are in big trouble. If we did not impose some form of controle over our own behavior as a species we coud easily wipe out every living thing by choice....There arn't to many other species with that kind of power.
Unfortunately, we are at a point where we now must manage out of neccessity....and so we do our best...

Hold your horses boss. I never said we're not different. I just disagree with the sentiment that we're not a part of the whole. Some people act like we're alien invaders or....parasites. We're not. We've been here for a long while and we're going to be here for a long while.

I completely agree that we need to learn to control our behavior. My worldview sees our relationship with the world as stewards. Unfortunately we often do a poor job of that.

steel_ram
02-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Hold your horses boss. I never said we're not different. I just disagree with the sentiment that we're not a part of the whole. Some people act like we're alien invaders or....parasites. We're not. We've been here for a long while and we're going to be here for a long while.

I completely agree that we need to learn to control our behavior. My worldview sees our relationship with the world as stewards. Unfortunately we often do a poor job of that.

We maximize what we take and contribute nothing back. Not even our corpses. At our current rate I can't picture our society as it is will being "around for a long while". Anyone that thinks we're part of nature needs to be dumped out in the wilderness in their underwear for a few weeks.

bosca
02-20-2014, 03:58 PM

Point taken Kebes...I thought the horses were securely tied to the hitching post. :-D
It's just that I get the feeling that some people would like to just do away with management based on the idea that we are some how on an equal playing field with our animal neighbours...we are not.
As steel ram suggests...if we give up our tools and go Mano a Mano then maybe...

finngun
02-20-2014, 04:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-ZoHgo5mo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-ZoHgo5mo)
there ya go the real wolf problem in the park!
broblem can be solved with bullets..just leave some wolves keep the balance:confused:

Fred1
02-20-2014, 04:22 PM
when they started modifying landscapes instead of living in them.

bingo!! !

Fred1
02-20-2014, 04:40 PM
We are part of the whole... unfortunately we have the ability to change balance very quickly - faster than the natural processes can adapt. And fast change leads to looooong term recovery. With our impatience we cant wait for it all to realigan. So we have to try and manage, mitigate really... We like certain things, so we manage for them - usually we want more of these things faster than nature and natural processes can replenish them. So then we call it competition - "the wolves are killing our game!". "The seals are eating all our fish!" "the beetles are killing our trees!" etc etc... We percieve ourselves outside the environment instead of within it - as eluded to above. The bottom line is we just dont manage ourselves very well....