PDA

View Full Version : UBBC, TBBC, BCAA meet with Minister

Coyote
02-15-2007, 10:33 PM
On Tuesday Feb 6 representitives from the BC Archery Association, Traditional Bowhunters of BC and the United Bowhunters of BC met with Minister of Environment Barry Penner, Tom Ethier and John Thornton. Bowhunters were represented by Ted Kennedy(BCAA), Ernie Marven(TBBC), Kirk Joyal (TBBC) Jim Turner and Gord Eason (UBBC)

The three organizations presented a united front representing bowhunters of BC. We all came away believing the meeting was constructive, well worth the trip and successful. My thanks to everyone who attended especially to Ernie who left Keremeos ay 3 am in order to attend.

We went with three objectives

1) Learn more about the so called abayance on changes to bowhunting regs this season

2) Communicate the support of all three organizations for the Youth Hunting Proposal and request that it be implemented

3) Declare that the UBBC wishes to be considered the voice of the bowhunter in BC and wants to be consulted with respect to hunting issues in BC, especially those that have the potential to affect bowhunting oportunity.

The Abeyance
This initially was looked upon as a negative situation. However it appears that the government has recognised that the current policies and regs are seriously outdated and badly in need of updating. Rather than continue with the status quo, they are going to overhaul the legislation with our input.

I believe Jim Turner said it best.

There is no “abeyance”. The Government recognizes bowhunting and as such has determined that their current hunting opportunities strategy did not efficiently address the need to consider and create new hunting opportunities through weapons such as archery tackle. The current process and objectives were restrictive to developing bowhunting opportunities. Antiquated and behind the times were Tom Ethiers words.
The Government, in consultation with the UBBC will re-write the document to allow future bowhunting opportunities to move forward with fewer barriers. Until the document is circulated to Regional Wildlife managers and bowhunting seasons can be considered and implemented, bowhunters will continue to represent hunting on all levels including youth, rectruitment, retention and sound wildlife management in good faith as we always have at Regulation meetings.

Youth hunting Proposal
We were encouraged to see that the government is interested in our youth proposal. We will continue to work with them in this area to ensure youth recruitment and opportunity benefits youth to the maximum extent possible while recognizing the needs of the bowhunter.

3) The UBBC as the voice of the bowhunter in BC
The government has agreed to consult with us on the upcoming policy changes. We have offered our experience, knowledge and assistance to the government at any time. In fact we will be insisting on it.
We have already been consulted on other local issues within regions.

We also indicated that we wanted a seat at the PHRAAC table. PHRAAC is the Provincial Hunting Regulation Allocation and Advisory Committee. It was this committee that recommended the so called abeyance.

We all believe we are on the cusp of the future of bowhunting in our province. We have been recognized by government and made some major inroads We will continue to work for bowhunting opportunity while respecting the needs of other hunters

Bow Walker
02-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Thank you gentlemen, on behalf of several dedicated archers that I know.

Nails
02-16-2007, 01:43 PM
It is great to see the different orgs working together to promote bowhunting.

greybark
02-16-2007, 09:17 PM
:smile: Well done and a great report . Suddenly the future of bowhunting looks refreshing !!!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

The Hermit
02-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Great news! Could you please pm me with the contact info for each of the guys attending the meeting. I really want to engage all the stakeholder groups concerned with resident hunting in general with a strategy for more effective and helpful lobbying on issues related to allocation.

I have met with Jeff Bray, former MLA and executive director of the liberal cacus, now a Government relations consultant and bent his ear about my concerns. He had some very good advice on how to best organize a lobby involving allthe groups.

Tonight I had a long and detailed discussion with one of the directors in Nancy Wilkin's Divison. He is willing to set up a meeting with Jeff and I and a few others to meet with Edier and Wilkin to get their input on how the residents hunters in BC could better organize our efforts. It was clear that the BCWF has historically not been preceived as being effective in promoting our interests. If I can get some indication form each of the groups that they would be willing to get a joint strategy together on a few central issues I will pay the initial fees to hire Jeff to help.

I want to make it perfectly clear here and now that I will not be a party to any super confrontational or disrespectful approach to the government. My intention here is to help organize and coordinate our efforts going forward. I do not believe that the historical abuses and conflicts of interests etc need to play any part in the efforts. We will all be better served by getting everyone singing fromteh same prayer book, and focusing on current issues and policy going forward.

I hope the bowhunter's associations will see the value in and support this approach.

J_T
02-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Hermit. PM Sent.

Coyote
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Hermit the UBBC wants to work with government to constructively search for bowhunting opportunity while respecting the rights of other hunters. We are not interested in negative confrontation and disrespectful dialogue. That does nothing for anyone.

Gord

The Hermit
02-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Hermit the UBBC wants to work with government to constructively search for bowhunting opportunity while respecting the rights of other hunters. We are not interested in negative confrontation and disrespectful dialogue. That does nothing for anyone.

Gord

Gord. First please re-read my post. Second, please note that I agreee with you completely.

Nails
02-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Hermit I believe you are truly in support of the efforts of UBBC, TBBC, and BCAA meeting with the Minister. When I read your post at first, I had sense of contention within it also. I don't believe you were intending to write it in this contexts.

Coyote
02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Just trying to show that we want to work constructively. In otherwords we are on the same page

The Hermit
02-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Yup... and I plan on joining UBBC soon too. I think you guys have the right approach and attitude. I know J_T prety well having spent some time together through work and I hold him in highest regards. We have talked in person and based on what he shared and what I've read, I feel confident that the bow hunter's associations have a much more aligned and consistant message to take to the Government than the Fed.

I really think it is important to encourage all the associations that represent resident hunters to jointly address the allocation issues with three of four clearly articulated concerns and recommended changes to the policy that are well supported in science and have face validity.

In my recent meeting I was told that the MOE folks are often confused about what the BCWF actually wants. The Fed is not viewed as well organized nor effective. I don't raise this to stir the pot... but to identify the need to help them to help us more effectively. My contact did a little compare and contrast scenario betweent the BCWF and the G/O Association regarding their respective lobby activities... it was pretty obvious that the G/O's have a much better lobby.

J_T
02-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks Hermit, your common sense and desire to understand the issues completely and selflessly will be a great asset to the UBBC and all hunters. Welcome.

Quick comment on your observation about the GO industry compared to the BCWF. The Fed have clearly, clearly stated to me previously that they are not and can not be a lobby group. While the GO's have a paid lobbyist in Dale Drowns. Drowns, used to be a Deputy Minister.

I'm not attempting to stir things either (although I am so often accused of it on here) but, unless the fed get with the way things are currently done (and I'm seeing signs of that:) ) they will remain bogged down in their own bureaucracy.

Issues such as, simply lobbying for support and bringing all hunters under their banner, or the fact they can't support bowhunters because they see bowhunting as a special interest and they don't support special interests yet they don't consider supporting a rifle hunter that wants a 6 point season as special interest; will keep the fed from truly representing all hunters.

The Fed, much like the TBBC and BCAA do provide insurance to members so when access issues may find resolve in a membership holding liability insurance, then this is working.

Anyway, welcome. I'm sure we'll be talking.

JT