PDA

View Full Version : Stanfield, underarmor or MilSurp

Fella
02-15-2014, 12:39 PM
My wonderful wife wants to buy me something hunting related and what I need more than anything is a warm sweater or jacket. I have a water proof helly Hansen shell and good warm base layers for next to my skin, so I've narrowed my choice down to a Stanfield, an Underarmour hoody or a MilSurp Czech insulated jacket. If you had the choice (keeping in mind all three options are around the same price) which would you choose?

Fred1
02-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Wool... go wool any wool is good. Merino wool is great stuff. Light and warm, soft. I use a HH ploy pro next to the skin, wool sweater (various thickness depending on time of year), water proof breathable shell/jacket. Stanies are good but I find I like something with a higher collar better. Personally I stay away from hoodies and anything that has cotton.

Fella
02-15-2014, 12:53 PM
I should clarify that the UA is their fleece hoody that they market for hunting. Is definitely rather have wool as my pants are thick wool MilSurp, but I can't seem to find a good thick wool jacket. Seems wool is getting harder to find!

TyTy
02-15-2014, 01:12 PM
http://workboot.com/collections/clothing/products/viberg-sweater-3

I have this. It is pretty much TOO warm to hike in, other than on those really cold days. Made in Canada (victoria i think) and is WOOL. I found the price to be good value. bought one for my dad too

beeker
02-15-2014, 01:13 PM
If you already have the base layers and the shell then go with the classic Stanfield wool sweater.

russm
02-15-2014, 01:44 PM
I got the under armour hoody for Xmas and it's probably the comfiest hoody I've owned, nice and lite barely feels like you're wearing it and it's warm but not too warm, I find the under armour stuff to be a little pricey as far as hats/hoodies go but the comfort factor makes it worth it for me.

Sitkaspruce
02-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Stany, West Coast Tuxedo/dinner jacket, what ever you want to call it, they are warm, tough, neutral in colour and last a long time. I have hunted in them for 30 years and they are my top layer prior to an outer jacker.

Canadian made to boot, much better than the offshore stuff they charge you a ton of money for.

Cheers

SS

Fella
02-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Just put in an order for a stanny, thanks all for your advice and perspective!

pin_head
02-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Excellent choice. The stanny is simply the most versatile piece I own. Wear it damn near every day from october through may.

Drillbit
02-18-2014, 01:00 AM
Excellent choice. The stanny is simply the most versatile piece I own. Wear it damn near every day from october through may.

I agree. You can't go wrong with that pick.

Sofa King
02-18-2014, 01:23 AM
the stanfield for me too.
in fact, I just took mine off.
I'm sure others are great too, but the stanfields are superb, last forever, and easily found.

longstonec
02-18-2014, 07:58 AM
If you get a stanfeild onesie... make sure you practice with the butt flap BEFORE you need it. Nothing like trying to tear a hole in your new stanfeild because Its Coming and you cant get it open fast enough!

Fella
02-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the tip longstone but I decided to play it safe and just go with the shirt. Glad I have layers for underneath because the thing is damn itchy!

Peter Pepper
02-18-2014, 10:12 AM
I got the under armour hoody for Xmas and it's probably the comfiest hoody I've owned, nice and lite barely feels like you're wearing it and it's warm but not too warm, I find the under armour stuff to be a little pricey as far as hats/hoodies go but the comfort factor makes it worth it for me.

I did too and it is the best piece of clothing I've ever had! Because it's water proof.
I love my stanfields, could not live without them, but this under armour stuff is great. Not put a stanfield under your under armour hoodie and you are invincible!

Moe.JKU
02-18-2014, 11:18 AM
One more here for underarmour I have used their stuff for sports for a long time. I have 3 that i use for hunting now. They are warm and seem to have some extra room in the shoulders for movement with underlayers on. Have also used them as a waterfowl jacket on rainy days.

snowplayaa
02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
It's super expensive but I would go Marino Wool for sure--it can't be beat. Icebreaker makes great gear but WAY too pricey. MEC has more affordable options.

Steelwheels
02-18-2014, 12:14 PM
http://workboot.com/collections/clothing/products/viberg-sweater-3

I have this. It is pretty much TOO warm to hike in, other than on those really cold days. Made in Canada (victoria i think) and is WOOL. I found the price to be good value. bought one for my dad too

made offshore..

Sofa King
02-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the tip longstone but I decided to play it safe and just go with the shirt. Glad I have layers for underneath because the thing is damn itchy!

yup, i always wear a shirt underneath.

longstonec
02-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Naaa after wearing them for a few years you build up a good callous and then its like flannel but more waterproof.

pin_head
02-18-2014, 10:23 PM

I made an effort to wear it around the house bare for a few days and now that its broken in it feels like sliding into a cocoon