PDA

View Full Version : Rally against grizzly hunting

bandit
02-15-2014, 09:58 AM
There is a rally in Victoria this afternoon to protest about the grizz hunt. They have even set up a twitter spam thing for Christy to reinforce the message. No doubt it will get disproportionate media coverage tomorrow.

https://pacificwild.org

Stone Sheep Steve
02-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks for bringing it to our att'n on here.

Maybe we might have to a follow up gathering in support of the grizzly hunt?!

SSS

adriaticum
02-15-2014, 10:34 AM
The government needs a feel good story right now after they have been flogged by their darlings (the media) about the BCTF ruling.
I wouldn't be surprised if this anti rally gets lots of attention, especially from the government, if they can gather a significant crowd.
Remember what the coach said, the world is run by those who show up.

Rackmastr
02-15-2014, 11:16 AM
I sent this petition in a couple years ago to the current govt, the opposition, BCWF, and a bunch of other outdoor organizations.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-the-bc-grizzly-hunt.html

treehugger
02-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Wish I was in Victoria today... just to bolster numbers for the 'other' side. The outfitters lobby group had a good, calm rebuttal in the TC today. I'd be curious if the antis have any numbers to back up their moratorium or if it'll just be another emotionally charged 'meat is murder' campaign

adriaticum
02-15-2014, 11:42 AM
I sent this petition in a couple years ago to the current govt, the opposition, BCWF, and a bunch of other outdoor organizations.

Wow I was #11447.
Quite a few people signed this.

fyffer
02-15-2014, 11:58 AM
i will be there to support hunting. It says against trophy hunting of bears. I hunt black bears and i eat my meat, it is some of my fav meat to eat. I know guys that eat grizzly

bandit
02-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Looks like the rally is organized by Rain Coast who are a subsidiary of Tides Canada.

Tides are being audited by CRA for using their charity tax free status to conduct political activity. The charity tax guidelines in fact specifically use an example of campaigning against DEER HUNTING is not a valid activity for tax free charities.

Is their organizing this rally just plain stupid? Or a clear indicator of disrespect for CRA and the law?

Ozone
02-15-2014, 12:08 PM
I see they also are against open net salmon farming and wolf hunting. We need to shut these people down. F'ing idiots.

fyffer
02-15-2014, 12:47 PM
anyone want to meet me down there around 130.

Jagermeister
02-15-2014, 12:59 PM
anyone want to meet me down there around 130.I would love to, unfortunately I am in the interior. Nothing like getting in the face of the treehugging group. Would make good news worthy stuff. Go at 'em Phiffer. Hope you get others to join in and the rest of us that cannot attend will watch with anticipation for some news on the telly or wherever.

fyffer
02-15-2014, 01:28 PM
i will be wearing my sitka jacket and camo hat. should where my bear claws

Peter Pepper
02-15-2014, 02:16 PM
it's too wet for hippies to head out today.

fyffer
02-15-2014, 02:23 PM
There hear. And I'm the only hunter. They are saying all bear hunts are trophy hunts including black bear.

02-15-2014, 02:27 PM
There hear. And I'm the only hunter. They are saying all bear hunts are trophy hunts including black bear.

You're the only hunter?? Where are the rest of you Island guys?

Peter Pepper
02-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Just used their petition link to email Christy Clark. Changed the wording to express my support of all forms of well regulated hunting.
https://pacificwild.org/site/take_action/trophy-hunt-campaign.html

fyffer
02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
There against blackbear hunting too. Ban all of it. They call blackbear hunting is trophy. It is illegal to trophy hunt blackbear. U have to take all ediable parts. I'm on ctv at 6.

adriaticum
02-15-2014, 02:51 PM
There against blackbear hunting too. Ban all of it. They call blackbear hunting is trophy. It is illegal to trophy hunt blackbear. U have to take all ediable parts. I'm on ctv at 6.

Thanks fyffer for taking action!

fyffer
02-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Guess I'm the only one that cares.

02-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Guess I'm the only one that cares.

Not at all. If I wasn't in the Kootenay, I'd be right there beside you. I know talk is cheap, but I know I would, and I am stunned that you are the only one there representing hunting and sound, scientific wildlife management.

fyffer
02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Check news at 5. Another interview.

coach
02-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Good on you, fyffer! Hopefully your message gets across in the interview. Extremely unfortunate that there weren't more hunters there. Might be a good idea to enlist a few guys and do our own rally.

Bear Brawler
02-15-2014, 04:46 PM
I bet there are more enteries in the Grizz LEH this spring than there were antis at the rally. Lets send those numbers in to show how many support it.

bruin
02-15-2014, 05:40 PM
If they're trying to shut it down on the basis of "trophy hunt". Make it a meat hunt. REQUIRE EVERYONE TO REMOVE GRIZZLY MEAT FROM THE BUSH.

fyffer
02-15-2014, 06:09 PM
they cut my interview from the 5 o clock news err

Ozone
02-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Check news at 5. Another interview.
You didn't make it on

Ozone
02-15-2014, 06:12 PM
You're the only hunter?? Where are the rest of you Island guys?

I was in CR. Would you go to Vancouver to protest a protest?

davet
02-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Well we all know they are looking at this site on a regular basis. and we all know hunters bring in alot!!!!!!! of $$$ to the BC econ. I myself did a spring grizz LEH, and if i got it and if i were to find one I would take all the meat. I completely hunt for the meat not the size of any animal.

Jagermeister
02-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Thank you fyffer for standing in for us. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png
I guess the weather was too bad for the rest of the Island guys in the local area to make an appearance. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.png

davet
02-15-2014, 07:23 PM
yup the media will only show what they want and NOT the whole story. If its 80+% that are against trophy hunting i bet they dont know a single thing about about the #'s or the fact that if you dont keep the #'s at a good level the Sh#t hits the van. I wonder if they know how many BB are killed because of human encounters each year in the lowermain land.

bruin
02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Increased tags mean scientifically found evidence of population growth. Need to require meat retrieval, they'll have no leg to stand on.

02-15-2014, 07:52 PM
I was in CR. Would you go to Vancouver to protest a protest?

Don't take my comment as an insult

kagia
02-15-2014, 08:27 PM
If they're trying to shut it down on the basis of "trophy hunt". Make it a meat hunt. REQUIRE EVERYONE TO REMOVE GRIZZLY MEAT FROM THE BUSH.

How bout instead of pandering to them and their bullshit, we tell them to **** off and stand our ground instead?

I don't even hunt bear and doubt I ever will, but I'm getting real sick of all the anti-gun, anti-hunting, anti-human, leftwing hippie nonsense and how we're supposed to just take it dry.

bandit
02-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Just used their petition link to email Christy Clark. Changed the wording to express my support of all forms of well regulated hunting.
https://pacificwild.org/site/take_action/trophy-hunt-campaign.html

Yeah thanks to pacific wild for providing some addresses. I wrote this - don't copy it as a form letter but hope it inspires some creativity!

Dear Premier Christy Clark,

I gather that there was a demonstration against "trophy" hunting of bears in Victoria today. I also gather that many of the members of this rally were basing their views on emotion and misinformation.

It is important that your views on this controversial topic do not get swayed by factually incorrect propaganda from a small minority group. This is especially important given the strong political support for this movement from "conservation" charities that are illegally abusing their charitable tax status. Hunting quotas should continue to be set by government scientists and not become some sort of politically correct compromise. This would fly in the face of all that BC stands for.

It is also important that the BC government continue to enforce the Wildlife Act that was written for the benefit of both the citizens and the natural resources. In particular the illegal interference and intimidation of licensed hunters in the "great bear rainforest" must be a priority for the upcoming spring hunting season.

Many thanks for the continued support of hunting by this Government and I hope this may continue for my children and grandchildren to enjoy.

Sincerely,

keoke
02-16-2014, 12:02 AM
If I lived on the rock I would have been down there and setup a table giving out bearonni

coach
02-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Sounds good, if we are trying to appease the antis - BUT, we really should just stick to the argument that hunting of grizzlies is part of sustainable science based game management.

bandit
02-16-2014, 09:07 AM
This survey they refer to lacks any credibility whatsoever for several reasons:

1. It was funded by the First Nation who vocally opposes bear hunting
2. Based on opinions of almost every hunter I have met in this province, there is no way that 91% of hunters think we should respect First Nations laws whilst on their traditional territory.
3. Even if 88% of the population oppose something it doesn't mean it is in societies best interest. I'm sure 99.9 % of taxpayers think taxes should be reduced!
4. Most hunters I know understand the need for predator control so there is no way that 95% of hunters think you should only kill what you eat.

I didn't see the poll but I would speculate the questions were very ambiguously written and / or the survey does not reflect a true cross section of BC residents.

Perhaps we should have a poll on HBC to get a more realistic idea of hunters views.

Rackmastr
02-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Anyone feel free to copy and paste the link to the nearly 12,000 people who signed the Petition in SUPPORT of Grizzly bear hunting to any media outlets, politicians, etc that they wish.

This needs to be broadcasted to all outlets that we can.

Iltasyuko
02-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah thanks to pacific wild for providing some addresses. I wrote this - don't copy it as a form letter but hope it inspires some creativity!

Dear Premier Christy Clark,

I gather that there was a demonstration against "trophy" hunting of bears in Victoria today. I also gather that many of the members of this rally were basing their views on emotion and misinformation.

It is important that your views on this controversial topic do not get swayed by factually incorrect propaganda from a small minority group. This is especially important given the strong political support for this movement from "conservation" charities that are illegally abusing their charitable tax status. Hunting quotas should continue to be set by government scientists and not become some sort of politically correct compromise. This would fly in the face of all that BC stands for.

It is also important that the BC government continue to enforce the Wildlife Act that was written for the benefit of both the citizens and the natural resources. In particular the illegal interference and intimidation of licensed hunters in the "great bear rainforest" must be a priority for the upcoming spring hunting season.

Many thanks for the continued support of hunting by this Government and I hope this may continue for my children and grandchildren to enjoy.

Sincerely,

Well done!

treehugger
02-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Great job fyffer! Good on you gettin down there and braving the cloud of patuli to stand up for what you believe in... you have balls. What were the numbers like? If it's something we're all so passionate about maybe a pro bear-hunting rally needs to happen? Even if you could get a 1/4 of their numbers together without getting all frothy mouthed over how rediculous this debate is in the first place...
Again, good on you fyffer

GoatGuy
02-16-2014, 10:52 AM
fyffer, great job!!!

Wish I was near the big smog to offer some support.

Awesome to see people standing up for what they believe in.

bruin
02-16-2014, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=kagia;1463015]How bout instead of pandering to them and their bullshit, we tell them to **** off and stand our ground instead?
QUOTE]

It has a very little to do with pandering to anti's and a lot more to do with public perception (locally and internationally) and support for hunting in general.

Ambush
02-16-2014, 05:29 PM
I don't think anyone in the world is going to swallow that we hunt grizzlies for meat.

We hunt them because we like to hunt them, they need to be hunted and it is environmentally and scientifically sound management. Nothing more, nothing less.

J_T
02-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Maybe let the non hunting meat eaters in the crowd watch this video. http://myscienceacademy.org/2013/08/19/without-saying-a-word-this-6-minute-short-film-will-make-you-speechless/

Mr. Dean
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't think anyone in the world is going to swallow that we hunt grizzlies for meat.

We hunt them because we like to hunt them, they need to be hunted and it is environmentally and scientifically sound management. Nothing more, nothing less.

Correct.
We hunt EVERYTHING that's permitted to be hunted, for conservation purposes! No if's and/or but's.

And a lot of us need to get up to speed on that.

adriaticum
02-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Maybe let the non hunting meat eaters in the crowd watch this video. http://myscienceacademy.org/2013/08/19/without-saying-a-word-this-6-minute-short-film-will-make-you-speechless/

My dream is one day for all food producers to stop producing food.
Just say puck it.
If you want meat, produce it yourself.

We would have a lot less whining and a lot less fat asses.

Mr. Dean
02-16-2014, 05:58 PM

And they didn't even get into the messy side of things.

fyffer
02-16-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm on ctv news Vancouver island online.

davet
02-16-2014, 06:49 PM
good job Fyffer. I think this whole this is full of misinformation, its unfortunate but true. And trying to convince an anti-hunter about the realties of hunting and animal control is almost impossible

fyffer
02-16-2014, 07:24 PM
http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=292624

sobirch
02-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Good on you fyffer on adding a drop of reality to that stupid sea of propaganda. What a bunch of blind sheeple. Did they do much editing on your interview or did they broadcast it as you said it in it's entirety.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2014, 08:41 PM
http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=292624

Awesome job, fyffer!!!

SSS

adriaticum
02-16-2014, 08:57 PM
People also need to remember that bear hunting is part of predator control.
If they manage to make an issue out of this, their next target will probably be wolves, coyotes, cougars etc...

fyffer
02-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Was edited a bit cut some parts.

J_T
02-17-2014, 04:07 AM
I clicked on the website, but because I'm in Colombia, during the Sochi games, Canadian news sites are "not available during the Sochi Olympics due to 'rights limitations'."

Good on you Fyffer.

finngun
02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
fyffer you are example for every hunter.....thanx a LOT doing that..all victoria hunters should be there,,:) i rise my 'juice' glass for yo:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
02-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Someone should have showed up and pretended they were supporting the ralley and fired up a BBQ andhanded out free bear smokies:).
20/20 hindsight..............