PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new trad bow help

backcountrybowhunter
02-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Looking for a new trad bow for bowhunting. Have been looking at the prarie panther. Kota longbows. And blackwidow longbows and recurves. Wondering if anybody had any input on these bows/ pros and cons between 3 piece one piece. Recurve vs longbow.
Have shot longbows for 8 years and want to get something more hunting friendly than my 68" bow. Thanks alot

TheProvider
02-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Greybark is very knowledgable. As well he has a black widow recurve for sale on here.

wayne nicol
02-21-2014, 04:36 PM
check out the sheepeaters- man awesome short bows- "longbow" quiet, accurate and easy to pack- i am going to build something similar- and i just love the static tips on the recurves, niormally i am a dyed in the wool longbow/self bow fanatic.
wayne

timbermilton
02-21-2014, 10:03 PM
may i ask what is not "hunting friendly" in a 68" longbow? majority of my bows are that length and a few longer selfbows. never had a problem hunting with them, except standing in a pond hunting waterfowl and hit the water when a duck came in lower that thought and i misjudged the water depth. lotta splash.

Xenomorph
02-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Checkmate bows? Local, lots of choice and good quality.

wayne nicol
02-22-2014, 08:43 PM
i have always felt that if i can drag my 6'2" body around the bush ok- then surely a bow 65 to 68" shouldnt be a problem. shorter bows are nice for thicker brush and close to ground kneeling shots etc- but i hunt everything with my long bows.
just whatever works for you- alls good
cheers
wayne

tater
02-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Greg Coffey (Javaman Bows) makes some nice short limb hybrid longbows. They are based on Laclair's Shrews. They come in around 56".
There are a few sleeper bowyers out there like Elmer Patton (Crow Creek) in Arkansas that make great bows. I have a three piece Black Feather that easily keeps up with my Morrison and Harrison.
Takedowns are always easier to shuffle around, especially if you need two hands for trekking poles while humping it in for goats or sheep.
I myself can't shoot a recurve worth a pound of p*&s, so it's longbows only for me.
Personally not a Black Widow fan, but part of that is i struggle paying a premium for a company's advertising budget.

aggiehunter
02-23-2014, 08:52 PM
You know a lot of what speak about with traditional doesn't come down to what you don't have a problem with...some of us are aging...we are getting bow sore....I am 54 and consider myself to be in pretty good shape for a pencil pusher...but my 62 pound Chekmate can be a bit harsh in the tree stand in Dec in minus .20. I love that bow and have killed Elk, deer, coyotes grouse and lots of other critters with it. This year I spoiled myself and bought a 50# 52inch Kiowa for the tree stand...it is quite forgiving..and for a short bow has little hand shock or pinch..I'm still working on the best arrow combo for it but with a 30 year warranty I'm not that worried.

Dukeoflawnchair
02-25-2014, 01:54 PM
First off, I don't have the extensive experience that a number of people have - so take my advice for what it is at this point.

So far, I've managed to shoot about ten different recurves - most of which were club bows. After this, I've visited two different bow shops (Grande Prairie and Prince George) to better acquaint myself with what's out there.

I ended up buying a Greybark and a Tradtech Titan 3.

The black widow looks and feels perfect. That 3 piece take down makes it that much more convenient when I need it to be, and at 62", it doesn't seem to be much of a hinderance for anything. It's quiet and just feels unusually "smooth" on the draw and release, for some reason.

Haven't even shot the tradtech yet...but everything about it screams bombproof. That and I love the idea of having multiple sets of ILF limbs...

Anyhow, best of luck with whatever you decide! I agree that more money from the Black Widow will go to their advertising, but it helps retain resale value. Good reputation costs money...questionable reputation (or less established) costs less...

greybark
02-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Looking for a new trad bow for bowhunting. Have been looking at the prarie panther. Kota longbows. And blackwidow longbows and recurves. Wondering if anybody had any input on these bows/ pros and cons between 3 piece one piece. Recurve vs longbow.
Have shot longbows for 8 years and want to get something more hunting friendly than my 68" bow. Thanks alot

Check with Monty Evin great and knowledgable guy to deal with ., Wind Feather Archery Traditions in Cranbrook . 426 8565