PDA

View Full Version : What Animals have plagued you with BAD luck.

HCH
02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Everyone is getting pumped up for this up coming season. SRUPP and Coach have some great posts already. So here is one for you all. WHAT animals have plagued you with bad/horrible luck.

Here is my top 4. Hopefully to change in 2014.

1. Dall Sheep - I have had the LEH tag 4 times on both sides of the highway since 1999 and have never pulled the trigger. Some hunts the weather was awful, had forest fires (smoke) in the area, or just not finding a full curl.

2. Mountain Caribou. Went on my first Caribou hunt in 1998 and was too hot, went on 2 fly in's since and missed the herd on the first one and seen plenty on the last one but no legal bulls (Are you kidding me) I was under 100 yards on at least 10 bulls.

3. Rocky Mountain Elk. Been on 2 hunts, first one was a jet boat hunt and was too hot, never saw a bull. second time was an ATV hunt and spotted 2 bulls both 5 points, no 6 points. but shot a nice 4x4 Muley.

4. Bison. Never had the chance to even hunt them yet as I can never get the dam draw. i have been putting in every year since 1996. Give me a break please.

So my wish list for 2014 is

1. Dall Sheep - LEH
2. Bison - LEH
3. Mtn Caribou Open
4. (If no Dall Sheep maybe a Bighorn LEH)
5. Whitetail Buck

Sofa King
02-13-2014, 10:34 PM
spike moose.

gerrygoat
02-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Grizzly is the one that has given me the most trouble, when I finally did get my first it didn't come easy.

I haven't hunted for mulies yet but that will change this fall when I visit BcBillies in Kamloops (who could probably just go out into his backyard and have a successful grizzly hunt) :)

mikeboehm
02-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Rocky mountain Elk

Sofa King
02-13-2014, 10:42 PM
6-point typical muley and the classic double drop-tine also.

hunter1993ap
02-13-2014, 10:44 PM
every animal I hunt is challenging!! mature animals are very hard to get. but the fever is on for next year!!

Fred1
02-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Well last year I got a sweet whitetail buck off the list! That had been a loooooong wait. Now back to the 200 class mulie... I saw him... just couldn't drop the hammer... again...

.300WSMImpact!
02-13-2014, 10:52 PM
elk, I have scouted, chased, seen, but luck or chance has gotten in the way, maybe this year is the year, I wont have as much time but I will try again

Fella
02-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Black bear. I know, I know they're everywhere, but last spring I saw enough bear crap and tracks to last a life time and only one lousy bear to be seen.

.300WSMImpact!
02-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Black bear. I know, I know they're everywhere, but last spring I saw enough bear crap and tracks to last a life time and only one lousy bear to be seen.

I think I heard on here, cover yourself in tuna juice and sit by a river, (no dont do this I am kidding)

02-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Local moose would be nice, seen lots, just nothing legal.

mark
02-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Would have to say grizz, had a few leh in 20 years, never had an opportunity to shoot yet.
Big whitetales also piss me off!

tanker
02-13-2014, 11:04 PM
for me any animal with 4 legs. mule deer whitetails moose wabbit coyote 4 years and nothing to show for i have some kinda of bad luck field the hate me so much they run to the gunshots and and hunting partners instead of coming out to my side. hahaha so disapointing

Sitkaspruce
02-13-2014, 11:08 PM
A true 4x4 w/o brows Blacktail. Have hunted the grey ghosts off and on for 32 years and have not shot a true 4x4, lots of 3x3 and 3x4. but no 4x4.

Second would be a grizz, although I now have no desire to hunt them, but when I did, the grizz always outsmarted me.

Cheers

SS

Fella
02-13-2014, 11:14 PM
I think I heard on here, cover yourself in tuna juice and sit by a river, (no dont do this I am kidding)

If things don't turn around I might just try that...

scottwh
02-13-2014, 11:18 PM
I would have to say grizz... I have had 5 draws and the wife 2 draws... Had the chance to pull the trigger in 5 of the draws multiple times. But mabey im too picky. Holding out for a big one. At the same time, I was also told "dont pass up something on the first day that you wouldnt shoot on the last day". Hopefully I get another spring draw.... Grizz is on the top of my list for sure...

russm
02-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Been trying for my first bear for 3 seasons now, got out smarted by the same bear 3 times in the same day(excited new hunter not taking wind into consideration) and no luck with a mulie yet, I've got a feeling it'll be a good year this year.

decker9
02-13-2014, 11:53 PM
6-point typical muley and the classic double drop-tine also.
In your home town! ;). Took a nice symetrical 6x6 on the tercer, seen some real stompers up there! A few with drops.

decker9
02-13-2014, 11:56 PM
The elusive stone sheep for me. 4 hunts so far, only seen 2 ewes and a lamb. Fingers crossed for this fall.

hunter1947
02-14-2014, 05:08 AM
A record book RME..

vip_ruger
02-14-2014, 06:18 AM
1. Dall sheep but goin to alaska in aug to hope and get that one
2. Bighorn for the third time after my dall hunt for 16 days
3 . I would like to trap a wolverine

MRP
02-14-2014, 07:06 AM
spike moose.
got that right.

Hillbros_96
02-14-2014, 07:39 AM
1: A truly large whitetail in the 180+ class. Have seen and chased several but have ever got them within bow range.
2: large 6x6 bull elk. Once my other bucket list items are done then this is going to be my goal.

ASPEN
02-14-2014, 08:02 AM
20+ years for Islank Elk draw-sighhh, maybe one day!

tinhorse
02-14-2014, 08:05 AM
A 30" wide muley (shot lots 27 to 28 and a bit), and a big elk

jackpine
02-14-2014, 08:13 AM
A book muley,I"ve shot 12 muleys 150" or better,5 that gross 170 " or better,none in the book though

HCH
02-14-2014, 08:34 AM
20+ years for Islank Elk draw-sighhh, maybe one day!

Sounds like my Bison LEH Luck.

DANOSON
02-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Still haven't shot the 4 point or better muley. Had one 80 yds but his head gear was inside the trees and then I seen he was huge 4. A doe busted I looked at her then looked back and the ghost was gone after I had watched trying to count horns for 5 min. I figure karma will pay me back as I don't shoot then count or he would have been on a wall.

Darksith
02-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Bad luck and non success are 2 very different things. I would say that the Bison is at the top of my list for bad luck. Thats really it. Plagued me for non success however is ELK...been on several hunts, have yet to find a shooter. I dream of being in the middle of an elk rut, hearing them scream, still haven't made it happen, but I am about to make it a top priority. The only other species that has been my primary target that has eluded me is mountain sheep. Still have yet to find or even see a B&C minimum scoring Mule deer.

digger dogger
02-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Mine is Dall's.
Up until last year is was a big tom cougar.
7 yrs, 6 tons of dogfood, and 5 tons of shit to get "a cat" i really wanted.

BiG Boar
02-14-2014, 11:00 AM
A big boar grizzly
cougar
wolverine
lynx

I've put lots of time and money into them and the hunt is still on.

Sofa King
02-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Bad luck and non success are 2 very different things. I would say that the Bison is at the top of my list for bad luck. Thats really it. Plagued me for non success however is ELK...been on several hunts, have yet to find a shooter. I dream of being in the middle of an elk rut, hearing them scream, still haven't made it happen, but I am about to make it a top priority. The only other species that has been my primary target that has eluded me is mountain sheep. Still have yet to find or even see a B&C minimum scoring Mule deer.

that's a good point.
"bad luck" is like how your bison hunt went.
but I don't think too many hunters are "plagued" with it, if they are, they should really be looking for a new hobby.

rides bike to work
02-14-2014, 01:15 PM
A shooter color phase sping black bear have seen a couple but always to far off at last light. One of the best parts of hunting is the chase.its always anticlimactic after the target anima is down.

hare_assassin
02-14-2014, 01:18 PM
WT, WT, and... WT.

eastkoothunter
02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Elk! Grew up in the Kootenays and have only harvested one. Goat, Moose and Grizzly Bear give me troubles also, as I can't seem to draw... Ever. Going to try my luck again this year.

fuzzybiscuit
02-14-2014, 02:18 PM
A true 4x4 w/o brows Blacktail. Have hunted the grey ghosts off and on for 32 years and have not shot a true 4x4, lots of 3x3 and 3x4. but no 4x4.

Same for me. I hunted Island Blacktails hard for 26 years in a row with a decent 4x3 with small brows at 103 5/8 being my largest as far as score would go. I've shot a few crab claw 4x4's, lots a decent 4x3 and 3x3's but never a big 4x4 with good brows. While I've got a glimpse at a few that would go bigger, I can honestly say that I've never got to pull the trigger on one. With just having moved to Alberta it is a dream that will have to be put on hold for a few years.

Remmy
02-14-2014, 03:08 PM
BEAVER Lately:cry:

358mag
02-14-2014, 04:00 PM
The very elusive Mulie doe maybe this year ....

GoatGuy
02-14-2014, 04:02 PM

It will be even tougher now that they're transplanting those deer off the golf course. They are becoming scarce.

srupp
02-14-2014, 04:08 PM
hmmm dall sheep..then rocky mtn bighorn..then 60 " bull moose..(57 is my biggest so far )

cheers

Steven

Ourea
02-14-2014, 04:10 PM
The very elusive Mulie doe, maybe this year ....

LMAO
Well buddy, keep dreamin the dream......some day.

Rich_D
02-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Whitetail Buck.
Hunted hard last year and missed a half decent oppurtunity.

bandit
02-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Zebra. 3 trips to South Africa before I put one on the deck. And even then it was a gut shot!!

hunter1993ap
02-14-2014, 07:08 PM
i know where one is, looked high and low but ive finally got it pegged, pm me and i'll tell you exact coordinates!!:twisted:

BCbillies
02-14-2014, 07:11 PM
It hasn't worked out yet for me to cut a tag on a really big goat . . . maybe this year! Had bad luck 20 years ago with moose and have never redeemed myself. Wolverines are also getting under my skin.

Fisher-Dude
02-14-2014, 07:14 PM

I know where 15 drugged ones are going to be. If you get up before 10 am there will be no competition for them. PM me for coordinates.

dana
02-14-2014, 07:29 PM
I just haven't had any luck killing a 300 inch muley.

Ourea
02-14-2014, 07:46 PM
I just haven't had any luck killing a 300 inch muley.

A 300" mule deer is all about "luck"!?
LMAO.

Just chase the gut piles and sooner or later you will get that 300 incher. :mrgreen:

Think you should get that 260" deer you're on culled first.

NorBC
02-14-2014, 08:36 PM
It hasn't worked out yet for me to cut a tag on a really big goat . . . maybe this year! Had bad luck 20 years ago with moose and have never redeemed myself. Wolverines are also getting under my skin.

I thought I read a post awhile back that you have got a +50" goat. Am I mistaken, or do you just have really high standards?

gerrygoat
02-14-2014, 09:17 PM
I thought I read a post awhile back that you have got a +50" goat. Am I mistaken, or do you just have really high standards?

I can think of at least two 50+ goats that BcBillies helped younger guys get that he could have shot. In due time it will all come together for him, maybe this year :)

358mag
02-14-2014, 09:28 PM
I know where 15 drugged ones are going to be. If you get up before 10 am there will be no competition for them. PM me for coordinates.

Please do I need all the help I can get .... Thanks ...

604redneck
02-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Mountain goat....I've guided for a bunch been successful on all trips and took my buddy into an area I have been hunting quite awhile and he shot a 51 5/8" billy but it's never me pulling the trigger.

Hunt-4-Life
02-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Ok you guys can have a laugh at my expense. Mule Deer. That's right, I've tried several years now to get a respectable 4 point buck, passed on several small bucks, still haven't connected. I've tried slow hunting timber, I've tried stand hunting on cuts, I've tried climbing up into alpine and I've tried climbing down into river breaks. I've even tried (gasp!) road hunting. Still no luck. I think I've come to the conclusion that the mule deer move away from 100 Mile (except the ones that stay near alfalfa behind "no hunting signs") in the hunting season. I do think I'm on the right track with the Alpine and River breaks though, just haven't put a ton of time into those two.

Hunt-4-Life
02-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Maybe I'm just heavy footed, I like calling moose in nice and close though.

warnniklz
02-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Grizzly is the one that has given me the most trouble, when I finally did get my first it didn't come easy.

I haven't hunted for mulies yet but that will change this fall when I visit BcBillies in Kamloops (who could probably just go out into his backyard and have a successful grizzly hunt) :)

My offer still stands... maybe you can drag him. up to region 5 and the 3 of us will go

rifleman
02-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Not even a relevant question. Every animal I pursue is of the utmost best of luck. If I harvest the animal for table fare all the better. If the animal evades me
I feel I am the luckiest person alive to have pursued such an amazing creature in it's own environment......

NorBC
02-14-2014, 11:18 PM
I can think of at least two 50+ goats that BcBillies helped younger guys get that he could have shot. In due time it will all come together for him, maybe this year :)

sounds like good karma too me.

nature girl
02-15-2014, 08:54 AM
For me it would be grizzly bear.

J_T
02-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Anything off an LEH.

Archery - Rocky Mtn Elk are my nemesis.

nem·e·sis (nĕm′ĭ-sĭs)n. pl. nem·e·ses (-sēz′)An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome.

Nemesis Greek Mythology The goddess of retributive justice or vengeance.

I'm just wondering what I've done to deserve retribution by elk.

IronNoggin
02-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Not so much "plagued", and not so much "Bad Luck", but...

I was a hunter long before we moved to The Rock. And through those pursuits developed a sense of pride in my abilities to be repeatedly successful in tracking down some rather Fine specimens of each and every species I set my sights on doing so. Thus it was when we did move here, I figured it would simply be but a matter of a year or two before a Blacktail of Truly Marvelous Proportions would join the ranks of those who had come before, and I would then set my sights again towards yet another species on the Wish List...

Twenty years into that game now. And while I have indeed thoroughly enjoyed each and every pursuit of these Grey Ghosts over the years, I have yet to take that Dream Buck I so much yearn for. Yes, I have taken a few "decent" ones over the years, and Yes I have had encounters (damn near every year) with bucks pushing that magical 130+ inch mark, but each and every time something has always prevented me from connecting...

Whitetails, Mulies, Elk, Moose, Sheep, Antelope, Caribou, Musk-ox and a good handful of African Species NEVER gave me this much trouble! I put in my time, got to well know my areas and the patterns of the target species within them, and eventually (usually within but a season or two) it all came together. Never in my wildest Nightmares did I figure that these diminutive little deer would show me up so damn badly, for such a long period of time!!

And so it is that my main focus remains chiefly with Island Blacktails. And probably will for the foreseeable future. There will always be other hunts of course, each presenting their own set of challenges, and each a Fine Hunt unto themselves. But these Blacktails have certainly reduced some of the head-swelling the others brought along, and certainly put me in my place more often than not!

Having hunted HARD for over 40 years and counting, I can Honestly say that to me, The Hardest species to collect a Real Biggie of is by far the walking Einsteins of the deer world - the Grey Ghosts of Vancouver Island...

And The Search Continues...

Cheers,
Nog

358mag
02-15-2014, 11:48 AM
It will be even tougher now that they're transplanting those deer off the golf course. They are becoming scarce.

Maybe I should replace my sand wedge with my 7x57 Husky , Coach can maybe help me with a few lessons ?

GoatGuy
02-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Maybe I should replace my sand wedge with my 7x57 Husky , Coach can maybe help me with a few lessons ?

Buckshow can show you how they golf in the valley. 12 gauge with golfball on the end "we can just about reach the lake from here"

BromBones
02-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Stone's Sheep.

10 years ago was my first hunt. Worked my butt off and had nothing but bad luck, close but no cigar, and twice had hunts cut short from knee injuries. Knees are shot now, who knows if I'll try again. Still, every one of those hunts hold the best memories for me, bar none. No better feeling than being curled up in the rocks and the wind while glassing for rams.