PDA

View Full Version : purchasing from usa

longhairmtnman
02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Where do I find a list of what we can or cannot purchase(hunting related) and bring across the border? thanks.

Chuck
02-15-2007, 07:55 PM
I had that problem one time,but I knew what I wanted to bring back, so I phoned the crossing I would use, told them what I wanted to bring. and they were most helpful. Maybe 2 - 3 minutes and done.

thebeav
02-15-2007, 08:24 PM
I know if you're purchasing something from say Cabela's it will tell you on the website what can and can not come into Canada otherwise just call Canada Customs

hoochie
02-16-2007, 06:13 AM
what about an order from Dillon?
I want to get another head for my press.. will this be an issue at the boarder?
Dillon states that " purchaser pays duty".. but will it get held up at the boarder.. how does this work?

Rob
02-16-2007, 10:32 AM
I tried ordering a reloading kit a couple years ago from Cabelas and it came up restricted, as did a leopold scope!

Steeleco
02-16-2007, 04:45 PM
OK first off you my be able to purchase all kinds of things in the US and import them yourself into Canada. Our customs guys don't care about most things like scopes, reloading components etc, BUT the US customs DO!!! There is a US chamber of commerce web site that has a list of items that require a permit to export to Canada, but even the guy that wrote it can't explain what it all means!!!

For example if you want a Leupold VXIII scope. Legally you cannot have it shipped to Canada. But you can have it shipped to a US address and risk carrying it across the line, do-able but illegal in the eyes of US law.

That same scope can be shipped legally to an address in the UK for instance then redirected from there to Canada no laws broken (at least directly?)

From first hand experience I have shipped reloading tools direct no trouble, but brass, bullets and the like is a NO-NO.

If anyone wants more specifics PM me,

boxhitch
02-16-2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d19-13-2/d19-13-2-e.pdf

Heres what you need. This is Canadian law, many articles are controlled by U.S. BAFT laws.

TPK
02-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I've purchased direct from DeSantis Holsters, LEE, Hornady, RCBS and of course Cabelas to name a few. No problems to date, the holster was a pain because of some customs screwup that had me paying for something or other, don't recall the details, it was a while ago and I did get the wife's holster in the end (non pun intended). So I would say, order away, go for it. On a side note, you can get Dilion heads from SGFX on the coast. I think the last one I bought for my 550 was only $20. It's quicker and easier.

SGFX = Smoking Gun FX that's Kelly @ 604-941-6933 I belive.

480ruger
02-20-2007, 12:03 AM
i have dealt both directley,and indirectely with the customs, and yes for some reason optics are a no no with the us customs, but the canadian side don`t care, the biggest one is ammo, the only thing that i found was they do not allow you to import is hollowpoints,other bullet types aren`t a problem...but after paying duty,shipping etc... i have found that in the end you will spend more money ordering from the states.......i now use wholesalesports in calgary for most all my shooting and hunting supplies.....hope this helps

boxhitch
02-20-2007, 06:39 AM
No restrictions against hollowpoints.

johnes50
02-20-2007, 11:08 AM
If you decide to import anything from the U.S. ask to have it shipped by USPS(United States Postal Service). It will be cheaper and you won't be dinged customs and brokerage fees like you would if you shipped it with UPS.

Nowadays, I will not buy a product from the States if they insist on sending it with UPS. If you do you will get screwed on extra UPS special fees bigtime. John

bigwhiteys
02-20-2007, 11:17 AM
If you decide to import anything from the U.S. ask to have it shipped by USPS(United States Postal Service). It will be cheaper and you won't be dinged customs and brokerage fees like you would if you shipped it with UPS. Nowadays, I will not buy a product from the States if they insist on sending it with UPS. If you do you will get screwed on extra UPS special fees bigtime. John

Ditto... I've blown up on a few UPS guys over the duty issues... It shouldn't be legal it's similar to extortion.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Just got a UPS bill for duty/taxes and who knows what else 5 weeks after my used bow arrived. $121 for a $400 US used bow!!:mad:

I thought I was in the clear but then this bill arrived. You think they would hold your delivery until you paid the bill.

I wish I saw this thread 6 weeks ago!!

SSS

bigwhiteys
02-20-2007, 11:33 AM
SSS,

Join the club... They've never sent me a bill though. They always wanted the money right away.

I bought a jeep top for $300 USD and paid $198 CAD in duty and taxes to UPS. The guy was thankful he made it off my property with both legs.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

boxhitch
02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Some learn slower than others. UPS has been putting it to Canadians for some time now. Many assume the initials somehow have something to do with the postal service. USPS is far cheaper, slightly slower.
SSS, don't pay, and see what happens.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Some learn slower than others. UPS has been putting it to Canadians for some time now. Many assume the initials somehow have something to do with the postal service. USPS is far cheaper, slightly slower.
SSS, don't pay, and see what happens.

Okay, if I stop posting it's because someone pulled a "SSS" on me. I'll tell my wife it was your fault!:lol: She's tougher than she looks but don't worry.........I'm well insured:-( .

SSS

Soup
02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
If you decide to import anything from the U.S. ask to have it shipped by USPS(United States Postal Service). It will be cheaper and you won't be dinged customs and brokerage fees like you would if you shipped it with UPS.

Nowadays, I will not buy a product from the States if they insist on sending it with UPS. If you do you will get screwed on extra UPS special fees bigtime. John

Agreed 100%

hoochie
02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
No restrictions against hollowpoints.

ya.. why would he say this is a "no-no"? I reload them in my 9mm all the time. $80CDN/1000, I buy them here from a local store. shouldnt be an issue at the boarder.

Tuffcity
02-20-2007, 08:56 PM
why would he say this is a "no-no"?

If it was a customs guy you were talking to he probably didn't know.

About 2 years ago I had the same "discussion" with a senior Customs supervisor who insisted that even LEO's in Canada couldn't have hollow point. :roll:

A summer student who was listening to our conversation piped up and told the sup that the hollow point restriction had been lifted, and showed him the official order.

Check this link: www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d19-6-1/d19-6-1-e.html (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d19-6-1/d19-6-1-e.html)and see #5 under definitions. oops, boxhitch already covered the link.

RC

hoochie
02-21-2007, 05:24 AM
About 2 years ago I had the same "discussion" with a senior Customs supervisor who insisted that even LEO's in Canada couldn't have hollow point. :roll:
RC

what an idiot... thats all the LEO's use. Police, prison guards, sheriffs etc... all JHP.
FMJ's "over penetrate".. JHP's stay in the "bad guy".
Of all.. the customs people seem to be the least informed. Maybe its because they have so many regs to follow.... things change...

I was getting the gears for bringing in a holster one time.. you should have seen the expression on the guys face when I showed him my PAL.. 12(6)... " uh, do you know what theat means?".. he almost pooped his drawyers!
And they seem to ask the dumbest questions....
"do you have anything to declare?"
"yes.. a holster"
" a what?"
"a holster"
" for what?"
" for a pistol"
" do you have a gun?"
"uhh ya.. thats why I bought the holster"
" do you normally carry a gun?"
" whats normal?... what do you mean?.. normal?"
" DO YOU NORMALLY CARRY A GUN WITH YOU?"
"depends what I'm doing...."
" when would you carry a gun?"
"when I intend to use it".... this one raised the eyebrows!
" do you have a gun with you now?"
" no"
" so why do you have the holster?"
OMG>> JUST SEARCH ME THEN! I HAVENT GOT ALL DAY!

If I bought the holster, but said i dint have a gun to go in it.. then wouldnt it look like I had an illegal gun? or something to hide?... then when you tell them you have a gun.. they think your packing.... urrrrggggg.
after about 45 mins and 7000 stupid questions later ( and after showing my DL, PAL, SIN card etc, and paying duty) I was sent on my way with a headache......

( sorry to get off topic)

mrdoog
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
7000 stupid questions?
You got off light.

boxhitch
02-21-2007, 10:48 AM
7000 stupid questions?
You got off light.
Agreed. With that kind of attitude, surprising you were not maid into the 'Strip Search Poster Boy' of the month.