PDA

View Full Version : AQUA CHEF cooking a MOOSE ROAST

lambchop
02-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Has anyone tried using this appliance? We are experimenting with a moose roast. The water temp is 150F and cooking time is 8 hours.

keoke
02-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Only time Ive seen one in action is on Iron chef America. Let me know how it turns out.

goatdancer
02-10-2014, 02:59 PM
What does it do? Heat up the water?

Gateholio
02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Sous vide cooking. It's been all the rage for the last few years.

rbest
02-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Sous Vide is the way to go for sure! It just depends on what finish you are looking for. I ideally you can set your temp and have a piece of meat exactly the same temp all through out! Your product should be extremely tender and juicy at the end of cooking. You can also add flavoring into your bags with the meat before you vacuum pack it( eg. stock, fresh herbs, garlic, seasoning, etc) Some chefs Sous vide the meat until desired temp, and then do a quick sear for flavor after it comes out of the bag. This system of cooking doesn't transform a less tender cut to an amazing melt in your mouth bite! It does work very well with already tender cuts. If you do want to use this system on tougher cuts, then it is suggested to braise the item in the bag with stock! This will be a long cooking process, but a great option!
That's a great looking unit for a non commercial rig! May I ask how muchee? and where you got it?

rbest
02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Has anyone tried using this appliance? We are experimenting with a moose roast. The water temp is 150F and cooking time is 8 hours.

Lamb Chop! Nice looking roast as well! All trussed up nice with rosemary and garlic in with the roast! Let us know how it turned out!

lambchop
02-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks rbest.

The roast turned out great and cooked evenly through. The recipe called for a breadcrumb crust and garlic rub prior to baking in the oven for 15 minutes. I think this was for presentation as the roast was tasty after Sous Vide. The oven was Aqua Chef and you can google the telemarketing product. Unfortunately we have just boxed the oven and will be sending it back due to some misleading advertisement. We still don't know the actual cost but have 60 days to return. Here is the finished product.

http://rs1187.pbsrc.com/albums/z385/lambchop4/Outofcooker_zps992a50df.jpg~320x480

longstonec
02-12-2014, 08:30 PM
What misleading advertising?

You can do the same thing with a thermometer and a large pot of water on your home stove. a little more paying attention is needed though.

Phreddy
02-12-2014, 08:31 PM
I bought a Remoska a few years back and it does an awesome job as well. Looks like an electric frying pan with the element on the lid. Some of the best roasts, etc., I've ever had. Never heard of sous vide before. Will have to think about that one. Looks good though.

longstonec
02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
^^^ Never seen their adds I should point out

rbest
02-13-2014, 01:04 PM
What misleading advertising?

You can do the same thing with a thermometer and a large pot of water on your home stove. a little more paying attention is needed though.

True, But you will not get the same end result. you can not control your basic electric/gas range at home to the degree, like you can with a sous vide machine. With a sous vide you can set your temp to exactly 135F for an example, and end up with a perfect medium rare product through out. I work with commercial units, which cost upwards of $600-$800, I have been looking for a decent home job one for awhile.

Lamb Chop, what were the false advertisements? What didn't you like about the machine? I found them online for about $200

Geo.338
02-13-2014, 01:28 PM
This is a very interesting cooking method .

I have had good results cooking less than prime roasts with the residual heat method .
Where you cook your roast in a 500 deg. oven for about 7 min/LB and then turn off the oven .
Do not open the oven for 2 1/2 hours .
Pink and tender right through . And seared on the outside !

lambchop
02-13-2014, 02:24 PM
I wrote "misleading advertisement" only because I thought I ordered several books (ie. Sausage making, Pasta sauses, ect.),and some knifty spice containers that were all reasonably priced only to find out that I had 3 more payments of $$$$ . I must not have carefully read all of the advertisement. There was a vacuum packer, sealing bags, spice chopping scissors and the Aqua Chef in the box when I received the order. I was shocked but still interested in the products. The Aqua Chef worked flawlessly and was extremely well built. I just don't think we would cook enough this way.