PDA

View Full Version : New To the Salt

Riles1203
02-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Hey guys Im new to the island and never fished in the ocean at any point. Im looking to get into the ocean and I don't have a boat so I'm looking for info on how to fish the surf around here. Mostly I'm after anything that tastes good and species that you can fish all year long size and fight doesn't matter too much to me. Cod, Flatfish and Greenling came to mind i'm assuming you would use some kind of bottom fishing method for them and I assume halibut aren't around the shore. And is it possible to fish for, and keep any species of salmon all year round? Any tips would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Spy
02-10-2014, 02:12 AM
Off the breakwater would be a good place to start.
Stop in at Island Outfitters on Douglas st & they can set you up with any gear you might need. Good luck and welcome to the rock.

02-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Where you live would be a great help.

EDIT: pm me, i might miss this thread.

rides bike to work
02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Find A spot where there are some rocky bluffs cliffs dropping off into the ocean use a buzz bomb or similar lure tipped with some bacon or other bait cast it off the rocks and drop I to the bottom and jig it up and down. Shoul get you some cod and other neat creatures.

greenhorn
02-10-2014, 09:32 AM
There are some bluffs in the Sooke area that you can shore fish. Salmon can be caught on buzz bombs. It's a little hit an miss and you'll catch kelp more than anything.

I have also Kayak-fished at Gordon's beach (sooke area). Easy fishery where you're never more than 200 yards from shore. We've slayed the salmon from kayaks there.

The Sooke river estuary has a good fall chum run that can be fun.

The Chinook also runs in some Sooke streams but getting that info will cost ya'

Port renfrew also has good river/shore fishing.

Enjoy the island!!

Riles1203
02-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Hey sorry guys I am out in Nanaimo, I scouted the coast on google maps satellite imagery and out by neck point and rocky point look pretty good to me. Also I hit up the chums in the Nanaimo River this fall a little late tho and missed the pinks in departure. Okay so jigging would be a good start, How about casting heavier spoons or spinners? or is that only good for salmon? Im assuming I'm going to need a longer rod something in the 8 ft and up range? I got a decent sized bait caster that would work well. How about any kind of bottom rigs with bait? do those get used at all? As well is live bait legal? and can you fish more then one rod from shore? Sorry for all the questions I'm finding the BC fishing regs rather confusing being as theres like 3 supplement books required. Thanks for all the info guys!

Pioneerman
02-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Go down of Hammond bay , try neck point good rocky out crops down there and deeper water there too. Also seen a few guys fishing Salmon off of Oar road in lanztville, with either waders or a float tube or pontoon boat would work well close to the shores. Years ago my friends wife used to fish off the rocks down below entwisle and she caught lots of salmon well over 20 lbs

Jim Prawn
02-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Bottom fish aren't too picky, mostly just need something heavy enough to get you on the bottom quick but not too heavy for the gear your using. Theres a ton of different jigs out there that will work; Buzz Bombs, Sting Zildas, Darts. Bait might help a bit but IMO is too much work for the benefit if just targeting cod and such. For a little extra flare you can throw a hoochie on the back of the lure too. You can get some midwater rockfish on the edge of kelp beds and around piles as well. I'm sure they would attack heavy spoons (Crocs) and spinners readily. Not too sure whats open when in your area, but pay close attention to ling cod regs for timing, areas, and size limits.
Tight lines!
JP

Riles1203
02-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Okay sounds good thanks pioneerman, Okay thanks Prawn i'll probably start by trying out some Jigs I got lying around and go from there . Im thinking like a medium to a med heavy action rod with 15 pound test maybe a little lighter, for all round use would that do?

longstonec
02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Also dont fish here.... http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/areas-secteurs/17-eng.html

longstonec
02-11-2014, 11:15 PM
A medium action rod will be fine. 15lb test will be good. any jig that looks like it could be a small fish or crab or shrimp etc etc etc will work.

Try not to catch "rock"fish as they often steal your gear.

Salty
02-13-2014, 09:00 AM
This thread's got my name written all over it! lol. A bait caster is a great way to go for those that can cast the things without making a lot of nice bird's nests. If not I'd advise a medium sized spinning reel. How ever it goes you're on the right track with 15 lb test line, you want something that casts well with the rig of choice and something with very high abrasion resistance. Everything on the bottom is sharp and waiting to steal your lures. For strictly shore casting an 8 foot medium action rod minimum, up to 10 feet for a bait cast set up isn't out of place. But, you will eventually fish out of a boat even if just a row boat or yak, an 8 footer is about as long as you want if you're in a boat anything more is a PITA and it can be difficult to land fish.

Look for structure; rocky drop offs, kelp beds.. if there's any kelp left down there, points with current to slack water seams.. stuff like that. Buzz bombs and zingers are probably the easiest to fish and can be as productive as anything. Do treat yourself to some trips to the west coast there's way more fish in the oxygen rich big ocean water than the gulf. Having said that in the fall lots of salmon get near shore near their rivers.

SAVAGE300
02-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Hey Riles, you may want to think about getting yourself a 12 or 14 ft tin navy with a 9.9 and a fish finder, you can launch at the charlane boatlaunch ( free) and head out to the fingers and the east side of snake island and bob around with the gear that Salty has mentioned, lots of lings at snake. This is how i got started in this addictive hobby. My boat now is a 19 ft welded aluminum with a 130 and 9.9 hondas, and welcome to the rock, best of luck......Clay