PDA

View Full Version : Mt Edziza caribou

Quesnel Kid
02-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Been dreaming about a fly in to Edziza I realized yesterday that I missed the dead line for the early season sheep hunt for the area so what about Caribou. I would like to fly in to little ball lake to avoid the trek up to the alpine, also moose is open in that area and there a chance of getting one close to the lake. Anyone have any knowledge they care to share on the area anyone seen caribou around there is it to far south?

Thanks in advance QK

ryanb
02-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Not many in the spectrum that I've seen. More north towards edziza. Not a high density area either way.

mudbud
02-10-2014, 07:37 AM
I hunted that area several years ago, never saw any caribou. I was told the better caribou area was the plateau north of Mt Edzizza.

BEAVERBRUCE
02-10-2014, 10:06 AM
go to level mt.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-10-2014, 02:45 PM
I would imagine resident success for bou in Edziza would be extremely low. I'll pack bou but not that far.
Horses are the only other option for anyone still with their sanity.

SSS

Cordillera
02-10-2014, 07:04 PM
The nice thing about edziza is that it was only opened a few years ago and doesn't get a lot of pressure. I think it has better bull cow ratios than some places and should have some big bulls. But it's a wicked long hike from Buckley to where the caribou will be. Good hunt for two guys who only want one caribou and like to do marathons. With 90 pound packs.

Quesnel Kid
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
The nice thing about edziza is that it was only opened a few years ago and doesn't get a lot of pressure. I think it has better bull cow ratios than some places and should have some big bulls. But it's a wicked long hike from Buckley to where the caribou will be. Good hunt for two guys who only want one caribou and like to do marathons. With 90 pound packs.

The big bulls are tempting the 90 pound packs ahhhh not so much. Well we will see if I even get the tag.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-12-2014, 09:52 AM
The big bulls are tempting the 90 pound packs ahhhh not so much. Well we will see if I even get the tag.

Only 90lbs?? Half a bou and gear would be a pile more weight than that.

Seeker
02-12-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm out, but I would read the story! Should be a good one, oh and I want pictures of you and the pack!

GoatGuy
02-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Buddy packed a bou from the top into Mowdade all by himself. Took him a couple days - he's a tough old 'effer. Pretty sure he killed a nice ram that trip as well.

Packed a bou and 'camp' out with another guy once, took us two days for a one day trip. Not so much fun.

digger dogger
02-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Only 90lbs?? Half a bou and gear would be a pile more weight than that.

A full caribou, cape, antlers, camp, gun, optics, ect is A LOT, heavier than 90lbs.
SSS is absolutely correct.
Plan on making 2 trips, to the pick up spot.

northernhunter
02-12-2014, 09:29 PM
We flew into little ball quite a few years ago, you're not in the alpine there. There is another small lake higher above there that you can land on that is in the alpine though. Moose are around the lake, but nothing to write home about, we seen some big grizzly but with no tag. A few rams to the southwest, and not a single bou. We were there a week and came out, I would look for a better spot in edziza than there