PDA

View Full Version : Port Renfrew Fishing?

Fella
02-09-2014, 05:04 PM
My dad and one of his fishing buddies want to make a trip out to Port Renfrew when the fishing starts heating up. When is generally a good time to hit the water out that way?

Ourea
02-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Send Snareman a PM, he guided out there for years.
Have fished it a ton myself...... hooked up oneshotneeded last summer for a guided trip.
Perhaps contact him to get an honest "perspective" on the trip and overall experience.

Sure there will be lots of members offering insight as it is a very productive fishery and popular area to fish.

Question.......are they fishing on their own or are they looking to charter?

Fella
02-09-2014, 06:37 PM
We will be on our own. Dads friend has a boat which we will be sleeping on and usually fishes out of Winter Harbour but has wanted to fish Renfrew for awhile now.

edit: thanks for the suggestion on talking to snareman, I appreciate it.

dogger
02-10-2014, 11:41 AM
First 2 weeks of August I have found to be best. Last year August 1st on was awesome.:-D

Jim Prawn
02-10-2014, 12:00 PM
The last couple years have been pretty unpredictable in Renfrew, hit it right and it can be spectacular but in between it can be hard to find fish. Unless your planning on fishing out on Swiftsure bank which is consistent but for typically smaller fish. IMO Sooke has been better fishing over all in the last couple years and the water is typically a lot nicer than Renfrew. Only reason I would pick Renfrew over Sooke would be if I wanted to load up on Halis relatively easily. As for timing I agree with above, in recent years the spring fishing has been more solid in August. As for me, I'm hoping to hit Nootka this year in late July, nice easy fishing in the inside, just like fishing a lake!
Tight Lines!
JP

1980skywalker
02-10-2014, 10:09 PM
First couple of weeks in August, I second that opinion. Go to portrenfrewmarina.com you can see all the catch records there for the past 10 plus years. As with any type of fishing it is after all fishing, not catching, with that said your best bet is definitely early august but anytime in July or August is a good bet to hit a fantastic bite on a given day. If you go offshore the 'chicken ranch' has seem fishing as good as it gets in the past few years but make sure you don't drink the night before, a long ride and not for the weak at heart.