PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep hunting around the Williston Lake.

sheepgetter
02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Thinkin about a good ol sheep hunt near the Williston Lake area. Whats the chances of a few tips or pointers? Any legal rams been taken or any throphies? Mt Brewster? Any help would be greatly appreciated stone

cole97
02-12-2014, 05:25 PM
what side of the lake you are looking at

cole97
02-12-2014, 05:33 PM
probably be better if you went to Aley cr mountain ranges for sheep

decker9
02-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Hunted 7-41 2 years in a row, spent 3 weeks up there in 2012 and 10 days last season. Never seen a track or a turd. Beautiful country, but not much for sheep where we went.

BiG Boar
02-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Have you been on the pelly lake website? There are some sheep somewhere.

BCrams
02-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Have you been on the pelly lake website? There are some sheep somewhere.

They're in the mountain block straight northwest of Pelly Lake through to Mt Irish.

NORTHERN HUNTER
02-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Access is very tough from the North end (Mount Irish), there are some horse trails but the outfitter hasn't been in there for years and everything is grown over. There are first nations trails in the area as well. You can access Sheep from Pelly Lake as well but there is an outfitter in there and he will likely have most of the legal rams pinned down that are close by. The rest of the country is pretty hard to access as there are no other lakes to fly into that would get you into the good country. That being said I hunted 7-40 the last two years and did find a legal ram last year (didn't connect).

You will find the sheep closest to Pelly Cr. Not easy by any means......

You can access some pretty good sheep country from a jet boat on the Finlay River as well just North of Fort Ware (Mnt. Bower). Some BIG elk in this area too.

bighorn
02-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Hunted 7-41 2 years in a row, spent 3 weeks up there in 2012 and 10 days last season. Never seen a track or a turd. Beautiful country, but not much for sheep where we went.
did you go up to the old mine,saw some sheep there about 6-7 years ago no rams.went east from the mine,on an old road just above the mine.caribou right on the road lower down.real nice lookin country.could see lots of what looked like sheep trails,dont know if they were though.

decker9
02-13-2014, 09:43 PM
did you go up to the old mine,saw some sheep there about 6-7 years ago no rams.went east from the mine,on an old road just above the mine.caribou right on the road lower down.real nice lookin country.could see lots of what looked like sheep trails,dont know if they were though.
We basically headed north from the mine. We seen a few trails around. But think they were mainly caribou trails. looking at the country side, you would think there would be sheep around, but we never seen anything, except grizzly bears, lots of g bears! That was in August. We went last fall in October looking for a fall g bear. Seen sign but no bears. If a guy puts in the time and miles up there, I'm sure a person would find something. If I was to do it again, I'd head straight to the little mountain range running along the kwadacha. Tough going, but from where we were it looked like good sheep country.